Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ‘My sons, it seems Horus is not the only soul to believe he is heir to the empire’ DA

‘My sons, it seems Horus is not the only soul to believe he is heir to the empire’ DA

‘Unending Imperial ambition has not bred warriors with the warm hearts of men, but angels with the cold hearts of weapons.’
    - The Verbatim, Lutherian Amendments,
    Chapter I: These Savage Weapons

‘My sons, it seems Horus is not the only soul to believe he is heir to the empire’ Horus Heresy: 1st Legion DA

It can be said we have entered into a new era for the 30k war gaming community, with Forge World miniatures and rules we can now truly play the armies and conflicts of this period. In respects to this I am opening this thread for my expanding First Legion Astartes, the Dark Angels and their allies. If you followed my previous thread you would have seen the creation of the initial force as was built for a tournament. With this thread the focus will be to the execution of the collection to a narrative and posts will be organized into variants as followed:

-Narrative: A ongoing (fan fiction) storyline centered around Grand Master Deiex as he assumes command of the 27th Order of the Dark Angels. This narrative on the 27th Order and their Imperial allies will be the intent of my collection. The story will be a means to showcase new models/units, and provide a sense of flow for the blog.

-Tutorials & Q/A: Something lacking from the previous thread. Expect to see indepth tutorials with visual references and resource. This is where I will interact with you the reader as well with answers to your questions.

-Battle Reports: Featured games played with the army against members of my gaming community see how the 27th Order fairs with the dice.

In all I am excited. The Horus Heresy has now truly taken off and I am commited to share my enthusiasm. I recall a time when Forge World would ask for a product you would like to see in the future when you placed an order, I wrote Primarch every time.

I'll leave you off for now with the current collection, there are a few new ones in there for you old followers as well. (Note the models are pre-reorganizing to the Horus Heresy list they are currently being reorganized and rearmed where needed, cried a bit hacking some of these guys up)

Deiex

Librarian

Re: ‘My sons, it seems Horus is not the only soul to believe he is heir to the empire

Speechless.

Re: ‘My sons, it seems Horus is not the only soul to believe he is heir to the empire

These are actually quite incredible. If I were to offer any constructive criticism, its that the grey swords just don't pop. Otherwise though, this is quite an astounding project you have.
    Hobbes: "How come we play war and not peace?"
    Calvin: "Too few role models."

They are back! I don´t know where i first saw them, heresy online? don´t know but this force is one of the most beatiful painted and modelled force i´ve ever seen. outstandig work mate!
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...s-Children-Log

My Pre/Mid Heresy Emperor´s Children Log

I've got to say its a bloody nice army.

The only issue I have, a it's a HUGE issue (excuse the pun) is that utterly ridiculous anime style sword the guy in the command squad is carrying.

The guy with the wings, who I assume is the army praetor is an awesome model.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothlanathorian
    Maidel, who is my personal hero (I_D is my savior) even has a heretical witch of a parent with BROWN Orcs!!

I think the huuuge sword was desingned to be a thunder hammer.
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...s-Children-Log

My Pre/Mid Heresy Emperor´s Children Log

Chapter Master

I really am speechless. The conversions are incredible, the highlighting is insane, thhe.... its just too awesome Absolutely love the angel wings on all the sergeants. True brilliance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hatl View Post
    ALL SHALL FALL BEFORE THE ENDLESS CRUSADE! HERESY IS WEAKNESS! HUMANITY SHALL PREVAIL, WITH THE EMPROR'S WILL AS ITS STANDARD AND WATCHWORD! ONWARD, MY BROTHERS!

Seriously, if you're such a **** that you need a Chaos god to back you up in any fight you enter you deserve to get murdered. Real men do it by force of their own badass. And don't even get me started on those weak-ass mother **** psyker witch losers.

only word i can find to describe these is exquisite
    --------------------------------
    Fear the night . Night Lords 8th company

Wow, you really got the trick with stark highlights (almost cellshading/comicstyle - love it!) and a dark black - that reminds me on solun decius log, definitely worth a look and some drool .
    I think I will try a similar style of painting on BT... in the more or less distant future.
    Though I must second Maidel, the sword looks somehow strange and a bit unfitting to me - on the other side, the command squad got even more asquad of very personalized badasses!
    Quote Originally Posted by BramGaunt View Post
    Space Marine amouflage - makes your eyes hurt so much you have to look away...
    NOTHING IS MORE BRUTAL THAN A CHAINFIST IN THE HEAD....
    By Chains and Glass

Red Nidz, some inquisitorial staff and... a mushroom

Welcome back! I look forward to seeing what you come up with regarding new minis and FW input. Your know this force has always been an inspiration for my own DA- so I'm excited to see more at a point where I'm looking to expand and am certainly tempted by 30k...

these are cracking! so earthy and original, I love it!

incredible painting!! Awesome models. Love your non metallic! I some times get lost on the 40k forums and stumble upon plog like this one - love it when that happens!

All excellent. I think I've seen a sword like the one in the third picture somewhere before. I like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2012-11-01 at 17.50.57.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	156648  

Marine

I can't wait to see where you take this log now!!!! Keep up the OUTSTANDING WORK!!!!

A fairly common subject when it comes to the Astartes, "How big are they?” The size of a Marine varies much within the publications, the models themselves are not distinguished height wise from a Guardsman or any bipedal Xenos. So what is to say what is right and what is wrong. My personal approach on the table top is a head and a shoulder larger than a standard guardsmen, and a typical Primarch would be a similar comparison but to a marine instead. This has been my personal image in my mind’s eye as to their stature. Keep in mind there are variations in this as in all things, for example the XX Legion was known to be taller still in comparison, old knights on Caliban who joined the Dark Angels were not able to be brought to the size of a fully altered Astartes, as well as Magnus the Red being a cyclopean giant amongst the Primarchs. So let’s break my process down now in practice.

Here we have a set of MKIV Maximus armour ready for assembly.

I first separate the legs at mid-thigh trying best not to cut into any detail elements.

Using standard GW model sprue I cut chunks that are no wider than the leg.

They are then glued in between the leg sections.

It may be asked "why here?" This comes down to proportioning in my opinion. Let’s put up an example:

In my studies mostly from Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life, generally a human proportion can be divided into halves. From head to toe the midpoint should generally be the groin, and if we take these two new segments created from this division and half them again you should have the chest and your knee. Based on this I typically found a marine’s thigh was stunted in proportion to their lower leg. There are most likely other anatomy issues but I found this was a simple way to achieve the stature I was looking for without making the model appear goofy or disproportioned, at least in my opinion.

Here is a comparison of the conversion next to the standard.

Here is the kit built the sprue is now joined by green stuff to fill in the obvious gap. I typically fill it in a bit larger than the thigh with green stuff, for once it has cured I will go in and file and shave it down to match the original profile.

Thank you for the responses, happy to see some old avatars and new ones. Hope you guys liked the first tutorial let me know what you thought. Also in other news I have finished hacking up some of the original army as to do away with unfitting equipment as to a Legions list. I think some of you will be happy to see some of the items removed.

Yes the Thunder Swords are gone. Although this was more to do with 6th Editions introduction of unique weapon profiles for axes, hammers and swords. Cyclone Missile Launchers and Storm Shields go as well as the power fists on the Tech Marine. Ammo carriers are gone since the heavys are all armed with the big guns.

Well till next time,

Deiex

I'm thinking to do a crusade/heresy era Dark Angels army of my own from current plastics in a few weeks when I have some time away from my studies. What I'd like to know is how you did those crested helms scattered about your power armoured troops.

Ultimately ridiculous. So much skill, so much creativity and eye for detail. Dumbstruck by your painting qualities. Beautiful!
    Developer of the Death Squads 40k skirmish game!

It's not Kill Team, it's not Mordheim, it's not Necromunda. But it's all that and more!
    Death Squads is an entirely fanmade skirmish game set in the 40k universe. Go check it out!

Chapter Master the damned artificer's Avatar

Hells yeah you're back! Can't wait to follow this army anew, their original thread as a great joy to me

I am so excited to see what comes next. I am a little sad to see the thunderswords go, but it is pretty sensible, I guess. I liked the idea of a dude just swinging that thing and himself in circles, limbs and torsos, cleaved through and flying though the air. But that is just me.
    Let's see what you do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast