Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Heldrake Counts-as

Heldrake Counts-as

So, what are you guys who hate the Hellchicken model using as counts as?

What flyers from other books have roughly the same size so as to be possible to use them as counts as?

I reckon the most obvious one is the Storm Raven? How do they compare in size?

Chapter Master

Re: Heldrake Counts-as

Obviously the bigger of the two FW fighters would make a good stand in and actually fit the look of chaos. I think the smaller one is too small. Of course the smaller one has decent rules in of itself for AA work.

Remodel or kitbash the Heldrake would be my advice. It can easily be remodeled to look like it's very much in its early stages of mutation, much more vehicle-like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shipmonkey View Post
    LARPing a nurgling is not cool.

I have seen some nice nurgle helldrakes that just have big blobs of greenstuff. I am patiently awaiting someone to make a giant fly, or convert a blight drone somehow.
    Trials of Morkai: Making every model pass the trials and prove themselves before becoming a Space Wolf.
    My adventures with Nurgle! (painting and conversion log)

I'm using my FW helltalon (or hellblade...not sure which one).

I'm still waiting to see someone make King Ghidorah out of it....
    I did see a nice conversion around Warseer involving the Terrorgeist kit.
    People who think there's no good way to die have obviously never heard the phrase 'Drug-fuelled-sex-heart attack'.

My norse dwarfs
    Hive Fleet Colossus (zoats!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	246655_447148785323381_1125764326_n.jpg 
Views:	601 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	156976

well someone made that, it was shown in one of the blog of the day on GW website UK... 0ctober 8th/9th

wether he is using it as a heldrake now or not is beyond me.. but the guy said he made it coz he could.. and I'd agree.. its amazing

Using the FW Nurgle Blight Drone--though this only really works for armies with some Nurgle element, aesthetically speaking. I may eventually convert their, erm, rear ends to have wicked-looking stingers instead of, erm, cloacae, but I think overall it represents the rules of a Heldrake with a Hades autocannon pretty darn well, if you imagine that it can spew/drop corrosive poison to explain the Vector Strike, and I actually quite prefer the Hades autocannon to the baleflamer in rules terms anyway, contrary to the internet "wisdom".

(As a side note, I started using the Heldrake just as an excuse to play this model with codex rules, and I've been surprised at how much I like the thing in-game. On paper I was skeptical of it, but with the Hades autocannon it is very effective at engaging enemy flyers and vehicles on the ground (2 S8 hits on average from one source that is not exceptionally expensive is very solid by any standard), and the Vector Strike is pretty useful against pretty much everything, though never really devastating. Most importantly, though, it deals significant if not catastrophic damage and then just does not die, being in terms of defense a Vendetta with a 5+ invuln save, which is ... tough, to say the least. I think it's fairly priced but at the moment probably underrated in terms of competitive viability, and I'm seriously considering adding a second to my army.)

EDIT: The FW Chaos light fighter (Hellblade, IIRC) would be a good option for an army that wasn't Nurgly, as someone else mentioned.
    Last edited by Aluinn; 06-11-2012 at 11:58.
    How Flayed Ones infiltrate:

Quote Originally Posted by Memnos
    "Fleshling! Do not shoot! For I am one of you fleshy things. It is I. Your Uncle Stan. Can't you tell by the long strips of fleshy substances covered in bodily fluids? Trust me! I have fleeeeeeeeesh."

Quote Originally Posted by Prisoner24601 View Post

Name:	246655_447148785323381_1125764326_n.jpg 
Views:	601 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	156976

well someone made that, it was shown in one of the blog of the day on GW website UK... 0ctober 8th/9th

wether he is using it as a heldrake now or not is beyond me.. but the guy said he made it coz he could.. and I'd agree.. its amazing
    I was going to post this. I think it would represent a nurgle blight drone originally but it makes an aweome heldrake stand-in.

For nurgle players i would recommend all sorts of bloated insectoid gribbly things.
    Codex Exodites, a project for a homemade Eldar Exodite Codex. Feel free to give suggestions/advice
    Exodite Army project log. Comments and criticism welcome. (latest update: Feb 12th 2011)

Duke Potato Chief You don't have to understand it. You just have to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Threeshades View Post
    I was going to post this. I think it would represent a nurgle blight drone originally but it makes an aweome heldrake stand-in.

For nurgle players i would recommend all sorts of bloated insectoid gribbly things.
    the guy was using it as defiler/daemon prince from the interview, i think BoLS or BoW did with him... ill see if i can find the video, but i saw it on there first last year before gw showed it..

but if he rocked upto the table and said it was a heldrake.. i wouldnt say no to him..

That would be a perfect representation of a Heldrake, it's much bigger than a Blight Drone.
    "Oh great and mightly emperor whose light protects us all, the forces of chaos are nearing the palace, tell us what must we do to repause them.
    A rumble is heard in the distance and the entire palace begins to groan.
    As the dust of ages slowly falls from his body and his aura which seemed bright grows radiant beyond imagining, He begins to speak with a voice of thunder, " FORM FEET AND LEGS"
    The Tyranids don't hate. They don't yearn or care or fear. They can't be reasoned with.

He built it before the Helldrake was much more than a vague rumour, it's supposed to be a Blight Drone, but if someone wanted to use something like that as a drake I'd have no problem with it - the Drake can hover too, after all, and that thing at least looks like it can Vector Strike

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grunge View Post
    So, what are you guys who hate the Hellchicken model using as counts as?

What flyers from other books have roughly the same size so as to be possible to use them as counts as?

I reckon the most obvious one is the Storm Raven? How do they compare in size?
    I use an actual dragon.

You can work with the model a bit.

Name:	heldrake1.jpg 
Views:	574 
Size:	319.3 KB 
ID:	157058

Name:	heldrake2.jpg 
Views:	614 
Size:	312.6 KB 
ID:	157059

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Urkana View Post
    That would be a perfect representation of a Heldrake, it's much bigger than a Blight Drone.
    The size of the model doesn't really matter much in the case of a flyer that never Hovers, and a Heldrake will always be Zooming: It can't be assaulted, so even the base is pretty much insignificant. Also, the Blight Drone is quite large; it's much bigger than a Predator or Leman Russ for example and its rotors extend fairly far out and upward (as opposed to the official Heldrake's wings being angled downward and forward). I can't see there being any gaming issues with using it as a substitute, certainly no more than converting the Heldrake itself to e.g. narrow its wingspan or shorten its neck as in the pic above.

If an opponent wanted to shoot at it and it was a penumbral case where terrain was in the way and the proper Heldrake's flying stand might allow it to be shot more plainly, all you need to do is be generous and permit it without argument. (Cover is also meaningless for the thing because of its 5++ and the fact the the Blight Drone is definitely tall and large enough that it will never realistically gain anything better unless completely obscured behind a huge, tall plateau or something).

In short, flyer rules for non-Hovering non-Transports make the in-game implications of basing, conversions and/or substitutions fairly nonexistent.
    Last edited by Aluinn; 06-11-2012 at 23:33.
    How Flayed Ones infiltrate:

Quote Originally Posted by Memnos
    "Fleshling! Do not shoot! For I am one of you fleshy things. It is I. Your Uncle Stan. Can't you tell by the long strips of fleshy substances covered in bodily fluids? Trust me! I have fleeeeeeeeesh."

Does anyone have a size comparison pic with a Stormraven and a Heldrake near each other?

I didn't think my Blight Drone drone was bigger than my Russes, but I've never done a side by side to see. I know it's way smaller than my Vendettas & Vulture, but that's a pretty damn big base kit.
    "Oh great and mightly emperor whose light protects us all, the forces of chaos are nearing the palace, tell us what must we do to repause them.
    A rumble is heard in the distance and the entire palace begins to groan.
    As the dust of ages slowly falls from his body and his aura which seemed bright grows radiant beyond imagining, He begins to speak with a voice of thunder, " FORM FEET AND LEGS"
    The Tyranids don't hate. They don't yearn or care or fear. They can't be reasoned with.

Or at least does anyone know if the Heldrake is closer to the size of a Stormraven, Stormtalon or a Vendetta? Or even the Ork flyer?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    You can work with the model a bit.

Name:	heldrake1.jpg 
Views:	574 
Size:	319.3 KB 
ID:	157058

Name:	heldrake2.jpg 
Views:	614 
Size:	312.6 KB 
ID:	157059
    That looks totally boss.

It almost looks like an eldar grav tank with spikey bitz.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast