Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit

The Hobbit

I'll try to update this regularly, no promises though =)

All of you, be warned. There may be spoilers ahead. Only continue to read if you are willing to take that risk.

You have been warned.

Still here?

Ok.

Things I am guessing will be italic.

Release: 1st of december, with Preorders starting 1 week ahead, november 24th. All info regarding the new boxed set should be in the new White Dwarf, december issue, which is released at the same day.
    Guesswork: Pictures (leaked) from the new White Dwarf around the 20th of november, based on other releases.

In this wave: I've heard there will be only a boxed set this wave. Danny76 mentioned more miniatures are to be releases shortly after the movie hit's theatres, along with a standalone hardback rulebook

New set of Rules: A completly new set of rules, compatible with older LotR releases. The sourcebooks from earlier ths year should still be valid. This probably means that the basics of the game will remain intact, with tweaks for balance and an overall better flow in the game

Boxed Set : The Boxed set will be the first thing released for The Hobbit tabletopgame. It's name is "The Hobbit: Escape from Goblin Town" It is rumoured to contain scenery and more miniaturs then Dark Vengeance (that would put it over 48 miniatures). [i]most likely contains Gandalf the Grey, Bilbo Baggins, Thorin Oakenshield and Company. The opposing faction probably consist of the Great Goblin, Goblin forces, and could contain wargs, trolls, giant spiders, mountain giants and possibly gollum?.
    Rumours of a limited edition have reached my ear. Nothing solid, though.
    The price is located somewhere around 100€. For comparison to non-€uro currencies: The price for the Space Marine battalion is exactly 100 € atm.

This Release List showed up. Thanks for sharing!

Escape from Goblin Town Limited Edition: 100€ (56 figures!)
    Hobbit Rulebook: 65€ (288 pages)
    Hobbit Paint Set: 35€
    Custom Figure Case: 50€
    The White Council: 60€ (4 fig box)
    The Trolls: 65€ (3 figure box)
    Goblins of the Misty Mountains: 30€ (18 figure box)
    Goblin Town: 45€ (scenery set?)
    Hunter Orcs: 30€ (12 fig box)
    Hunter Orcs on Fell Wargs: 35€ (6 fig box)
    Bolg: 20€ (clampack)
    Narzug: 15€ (clampack)
    Goblin Captain: 13€ (clampack)
    Fimbul the Hunter (ft & mtd): 35€

Tholanan was so very kind to make a great big deal of pictures, to be found here
    Last edited by BramGaunt; 22-11-2012 at 08:41.
    We both read the rumour, day and night,
    but you read black where I read white.

Quote Originally Posted by Scryer in the Darkness View Post
    (After someone claimed he was Phill Kelly) The real Phil Kelly would know how to spell his first name correctly.

Chapter Master

Re: The Hobbit

Are the current 'codexes' being invalidated, or do they stay the same? Overall, I like what I hear, and €100 for a box set is a bit steep, but that's before seeing the opposing side, any possible scenery and model quality, so it could easily end up worth the cash

Thanks Bram. Been trying to watch this closely. My biggest concern was "how are these rules going to jive with the current SBG rules and army books?", a question I think the poster above me is concerned with as well. So are you saying it is a complete new set of rules, but probably based on the current rules set? So just kind of an update to the current rules, I'm hoping?

I, too, would be quite upset if they ditched the SBG rules (both because they could work perfectly for the Hobbit as is, and also because it's one of the best skirmish rulesets going). I'm all for an updated variant of the rules, but I'd be very disappointed if they were incompatible. Hopefully it'll just be a new edition. If not, well, I suppose fan made profiles are an inevitability, in the end.

Also, the box set is the only product? As in, at all? Wasn't there a Radagast model leaked? Unless the box set really does contains everything. I suppose it could possibly do so, depending on what is actually included in film one.

I really hope GW knocks this one out of the park, I started out with Warhammer, but it's LotR (and hopefully the Hobbit) that keeps me coming back to them. Fingers/toes/tentacles well and truly crossed.

Again, my inormation on this is anything but complete. There could be a thousand things I am unaware off. I'll keep you posted if I learn something new.

(After someone claimed he was Phill Kelly) The real Phil Kelly would know how to spell his first name correctly.

Thanks for the update BramGaunt, I for one am really looking forward to this release!

However, to me it sounds a bit strange if there only would be one Hobbit related product released in December. I think/hope there will be some separate blister-like releases as well.

Bram, first let me give you a big thank you for posting LotR rumours you get, we really do appreciate it.

Sounds exciting, I've got to say I'm not sure what to expect from the set, if the good side is Thorin's company then there would need to to be a lot of miniatures on the evil side to get anywhere close to the number of models in DV. I'm wondering if there won't perhaps be some rivendell elves, or possibly plastic white council models to pad out the numbers.

I'm loving the rumour about terrain in the set, the lack of terrain was the only slight disappointment for me from DV. I also can't see them changing the core rules very much, IMHO they work too well to dick around with.

Well it looks like I've got my Christmas purchases sorted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Konovalev View Post
    Warseer's Warhammer General has become like a nerdy Jerry Springer. It's quite entertaining.
    Calling all AoS fans, please consider joining Warseer's first Age of Sigmar Tale of Painters

Quote Originally Posted by Milan View Post
    However, to me it sounds a bit strange if there only would be one Hobbit related product released in December. I think/hope there will be some separate blister-like releases as well.
    I am guessing that this is part of the deal with New Line. The basic set is all they were 'giving' GW for now, just like with LotR, where you had some orks, elves and men from the first 5 minutes of the film, as not to spoil the surprises. The rest will follow shortly, I'm sure of it.

I'm glad there's rumors coming, even if they're a trickle at the moment, I'm sure it'll pick up soon enough.

I have to agree with Spiney Norman, terrain in the box set sounds like a great thing to see again. I've missed it in the last few Warhammer square and round releases. Seems essential to me, when terrain is so important, to inlude at least something in the 'game in a box' sets.

not sure how helpful this is, but my local GW has just posted "Tomorrow is the last day that the mines of moria box set will be available to buy..." - so I guess that means incoming new box ?

Chapter Master Whitwort Stormbringer's Avatar

I would guess that a new rulebook in a boxed game will not be a large comprehensive rulebook but rather a fairly bare-bones revision of the core mechanics and profiles for new characters introduced in The Hobbit. I imagine they won't be reprinting all, most, or maybe even any existing LotR SBG profiles that don't overlap with or appear in The Hobbit, so it seems likely that the current force books will remain crucial for at least a while longer. I'd be a little surprised if GW turned their attention back to non-Hobbit material before all three movies were released.

As to box contents, maybe they'll provide enough to play a couple of scenarios, rather than two full, even forces? If so, perhaps you'd get Thorin & Co. on the one side and some goblins, some wargs, and the trolls to represent the evil side? Part of me thinks they'd want to save the trolls to sell separately, but it's a possibility. Also hoping for some terrain, the stuff that came in Mines of Moria was a nice bonus.
    The great thing about the dwarves is that, even though there's this comic element, when they fight - they really fight!

My infrequently updated nerd blog.

Brother Sergeant

Thanks so much for the info, it's great to finally begin to see the trickle of real rumours emerging.

The box sounds great to be honest, the price tag doesn't really worry me, I assume it will be priced comparatively to Island of Blood and Vengeance so if it's more expensive it probably means it has more figures.

My money's on a horde of goblins and the Great Goblin being the opponents (possibly with some wargs) and I reckon the scenery might well be Misty Mountains/goblin town stuff. The amount of Goblin figures doesn't really matter as long as the scenario builds in some 'endless horde' type rule like the current Balin's Tomb one does that means they keep respawning.

It does seem odd that there would only be one product, although it might just be a big pre-Christmas pressie push "If you want some Hobbit toys before Xmas then you need to buy this box" etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BramGaunt View Post
    just like with LotR, where you had some orks, elves and men from the first 5 minutes of the film, as not to spoil the surprises.
    This isn't strictly true, whilst that was all that was in the boxed game, almost the entire first-wave range of Fellowship models was shown in the November 2001 WD. You saw the Ringwraiths, Fellowship, Uruk-Hai etc. a few months before the film came out, I remember getting my first good look at the Uruk-Hai design in WD and wondering who the hell Lurtz was! I suppose back then the internet forum/leak culture wasn't nearly as pervasive as it is now so New Line might not have been so strict.

Anyways, it's all just really exciting stuff. I'm currently listening to the 60 second previews of all the new music, can't get much more excited! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Grant View Post
    Thanks so much for the info, it's great to finally begin to see the trickle of real rumours emerging.

The box sounds great to be honest, the price tag doesn't really worry me, I assume it will be priced comparatively to Island of Blood and Vengeance so if it's more expensive it probably means it has more figures.

My money's on a horde of goblins and the Great Goblin being the opponents (possibly with some wargs) and I reckon the scenery might well be Misty Mountains/goblin town stuff. The amount of Goblin figures doesn't really matter as long as the scenario builds in some 'endless horde' type rule like the current Balin's Tomb one does that means they keep respawning.

It does seem odd that there would only be one product, although it might just be a big pre-Christmas pressie push "If you want some Hobbit toys before Xmas then you need to buy this box" etc.

This isn't strictly true, whilst that was all that was in the boxed game, almost the entire first-wave range of Fellowship models was shown in the November 2001 WD. You saw the Ringwraiths, Fellowship, Uruk-Hai etc. a few months before the film came out, I remember getting my first good look at the Uruk-Hai design in WD and wondering who the hell Lurtz was! I suppose back then the internet forum/leak culture wasn't nearly as pervasive as it is now so New Line might not have been so strict.

Anyways, it's all just really exciting stuff. I'm currently listening to the 60 second previews of all the new music, can't get much more excited! :-)
    I just hope that any goblins in the hobbit box are new sculpts and not the lame old ones that have been knocking around since the foundation of the game they lumped into the MoM set.
    Warseer's Warhammer General has become like a nerdy Jerry Springer. It's quite entertaining.
    Calling all AoS fans, please consider joining Warseer's first Age of Sigmar Tale of Painters

Brother Sergeant

I'm sure they will be, the goblins have been completely redesigned for the movie so it's all but certain that they will be new sculpts. It's fortunate that the evil models the Hobbit will bring (Goblins, Wargs, spiders) are some of the LOTR figs that are most crying out for a resculpt. I've still got a soft spot for my Moria Goblin plastic but the time has certainly come for some fresh faces!

Oh and I totally agree that the new Sourcebooks won't be invalidated. GW would have known what they were going to do with the Hobbit back in Jan and I don't think they would have out so much effort into standardising the sourcebooks, scenarios, warbands etc. if they were going to be obsolete with the release of the Hobbit. I think that the new Sourcebooks (and recent FAQs) are the best sign we have that it won't be a completely new game but will in fact be an SBG update based around the same rules, perhaps with some amendments here and there.

Time will tell...

I have some information about the Hobbits release. The starter set and rulebook will be pulled from the shelf within a few weeks. I have heard of a hardback rulebook being produced. Apart from that I don't really have any more information but I should have some in the next two weeks.

I don't normally post what rumours I get or throw them in the anonymous option, but I'll just add here as I do have a soft spot for LotR SBG, and it has now been mentioned from another source.
    The new rules are like a new edition of SBG, nothing gets invalidated at all, and they have been very careful to make sure that is so.
    I too have heard that the box set is on the way and awesome. What I originally heard about the extra stuff coming outside the box was that they would be released after general release of the film, and only the box would be available before, and the same applied for the hardback rulebook.
    Now if this was/and still is the case, I wonder what WD would show in terms of 'releases for the month' as if they are keeping it a secret then they'd have to leave it out..
    That was pretty set as a schedule before apparently, but now things are a little different. Unfortunately I don't know whether different means now all at the start with the box, or all pushed back to the following month except the box. If I hear any more I shall mention it..
    Take as you wish as always =)
    Currently Painting: Ork Trukk + BW. Currently Playing: Dead Rising 2 / Borderlands 2
    Currently Reading: HH16 / Age of Legend Currently Listening to: Dresden Book 3
    My Vampire Painting Log: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...ire-Counts-Log
    My Nurgle Warriors Log: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...e-Warriors-Log

Thanks for that Danny, I've been putting off any LOTR related purchases til next year and the sooner clarification on the impact of the new set is here the sooner I can plan for the future. Can't wait to get my hands on the hardback!

Interesting, very interesting.. thanks for posting!

\m/ Metalhead of Warseer \m/

"War is not about who is right, but who is left"
    - Ad finem temporum -

Too bad it's SBG, though. That game has far too much reliance on chance, if you ask me (I realize it's a game based on dice, but there's several levels of chance-dependency in dice games. I think SBG scores rather high).

However! They might have made the rules worthwhile again. I wouldn't mind some LotR gaming again.
    Developer of the Death Squads 40k skirmish game!

It's not Kill Team, it's not Mordheim, it's not Necromunda. But it's all that and more!
    Death Squads is an entirely fanmade skirmish game set in the 40k universe. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid Adventurer View Post
    Too bad it's SBG, though. That game has far too much reliance on chance, if you ask me (I realize it's a game based on dice, but there's several levels of chance-dependency in dice games. I think SBG scores rather high).

However! They might have made the rules worthwhile again. I wouldn't mind some LotR gaming again.
    In fairness to the SBG rule set its the best of the three core games currently, the rules have stood the test of time for something close to a decade and they are still very playable. They could have taken the opportunity to overhaul the lamentable WotR rules, but maybe that will come with one of the other movies.

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast