Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Terminator Armour: What are the different types?

Question Terminator Armour: What are the different types?

hey, i know that there is the standard terminator armour, the tartaros pattern, and the cataphractii pattern, but i was wandering if there was any more?

TY, Old Mechanic

Re: Terminator Armour: What are the different types?

Cataphractii pattern, ROFL, is that horse-shaped?

well if you put a terminator on a normal horse its going to get crushed- hence cataphractii pattern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Solar Plexus View Post
    Cataphractii pattern, ROFL, is that horse-shaped?
    Ignoring the obligatory wrong forum jokes, it's actually a Latin name. Horribly bastardized of course.

Cataphractus (coming from the Greek κατα+φρακτος, kataphraktos = covered all around = armoured), or Cataphract in modern English, was the name of a heavily armoured horseman. So GW, playing on the Knights in Space theme of space marines, used that name for uber-armoured terminators. The plural nominative (or singular genitive) should be Cataphracti, not Cataphractii, but there we are, it's GW.
    Quote Originally Posted by HellRaid View Post
    Gaargod... I think you win.
    Quote Originally Posted by theunwantedbeing View Post
    Give the guy a power penknife
    Provided it has sword, maul and hammer attachments he can freely switch in game :P

Quote Originally Posted by Gaargod View Post
    Ignoring the obligatory wrong forum jokes, it's actually a Latin name. Horribly bastardized of course.

Cataphractus (coming from the Greek κατα+φρακτος, kataphraktos = covered all around = armoured), or Cataphract in modern English, was the name of a heavily armoured horseman. So GW, playing on the Knights in Space theme of space marines, used that name for uber-armoured terminators. The plural nominative (or singular genitive) should be Cataphracti, not Cataphractii, but there we are, it's GW.

Well, as far as I understand, in 40K, they use something called High Gothic as a language no? That can easily explain away differences: "it's based on latin but it's not latin!"

Quote Originally Posted by oldmechanic View Post
    hey, i know that there is the standard terminator armour, the tartaros pattern, and the cataphractii pattern, but i was wandering if there was any more?

TY, Old Mechanic
    There is the GK type as yet un-named
    also the 3 80's ones from way back when also un-named TDA types seen here http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Terminator_Armour

Quote Originally Posted by Urgat View Post
    Well, as far as I understand, in 40K, they use something called High Gothic as a language no? That can easily explain away differences: "it's based on latin but it's not latin!"
    More succinctly put, it's latin, after four hundred centuries of bastardization, abuse and decay...

Quote Originally Posted by budman View Post
    There is the GK type as yet un-named
    also the 3 80's ones from way back when also un-named TDA types seen here http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Terminator_Armour
    Actually, I've seen (I think in the Horus Heresy book by forge-world) a mention of the Saturnine pattern, alongside the Cataphracti and Tartaros patterns. That might well be the GK style TDA.
    Last edited by Lupe; 05-12-2012 at 12:59.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunnahabhain View Post
    Choose Guard. Choose the right Imperial army. Choose Proper fire Support. Choose Big Guns. Choose Basilisks. Choose Manticores. Choose Deathstrikes. Choose all of them. Choose Artillery regiments. Choose to level the playing-field. Choose to level the Mountain range next to the playing field. Choose Guard.

So are there any patterns of terminator armour that wouldn't be right to use in a pre-heresy army?
    Quote Originally Posted by x-esiv-4c View Post
    Remember, Neck-bearded Howlers have to be dealt with like misbehaving dogs or feral hobos. Wack 'em with a rolled up newspaper and shout "NO. WE DON'T DO THAT INSIDE. NOOOOO"
    The big frog leading the lizardmen is called a "Slann" not a "Slaan", the big bird in the Empire is called a "Griffon" not a "Gryphon". The Bretonnian bird is, unfortunately, called a hippogryph.

Not really, no.

Well, you basically have several waves of Terminator Armor, all tied into the development of Power armor and Dreadnought technology.
    Name:  TerminatorB.JPG
Views: 1012
Size:  7.4 KB
    This mark is possibly the earliest, as it most resembles the Tactical Dreadnought armor, based on a scaled down early version of the Contemptor Dreadnought.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terminator_mini_MK1.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	159158
    You have this early mark, which goes the other direction, appearing to be a heavily armored upgrade to regular power armor.

Name:	TerminatorC.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	159160
    This pattern is sort of a middle ground, and the basis for what we see later.

Then you see the Armor start to tie into Power Armor development, rather than separate lines. Mark III Iron Armor is similar to TDA, in that it trades speed for protection, and you see that influence in the Cataphracti pattern

Name:	Cataphractii_forge_world.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	159161
    It's heavy armor, but slower.

Then you have the more advanced Tartaros pattern, based on upgrades to the Contemptor and the Mk IV Maximus armor

Name:	565px-TartarosTerminator.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	159162
    It's faster and more flexible, but like the Mk IV, some of the technology was lost in the Heresy.

Name:	320px-BAterminator.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	159163
    With the loss of many of the production facilities for the Cataphracti and Tartaros armors, you see the Indomitus pattern, based on the older version we saw above, but using newer technology developed for the Mk VI Corvus and Mk VII Aquilla armors.

Name:	TerminatorF.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	159164
    Finally, you have the pattern the GK use, which is far more miniaturized than the Indomitus pattern, and is likely based on technologies in the Mk VIII Errant Power Armor.
    "As I've always said, Wes is wise." - Scryer in the Darkness
    "Wes, if you keep this up you'll need to change your name to MajorWiseJanson." - Azzy
    "Many boffins died to bring us this information." - Forgeworld Announcement E-mail
    "Rest assured, Servitor 13 has your best interests at heart. Now let's fire up the lascannons." - GW changes their web privacy policy.

On the question of whether any terminator pattern would be inappropriate for the heresy era - essentially the line is that all the patterns of terminator armour were developed either concurrently or at least very close to one another. That some patterns were developed at roughly the same time in different places.

So yea, essentially any kind of terminator armour is era appropriate.

Of the ones officially named, there is Indomitus, Cataphractii, Tartaros and Saturnine. The latter hasn't been depicted so far (or, at least, it hasn't been linked to and older style of armour yet. I presume if FW update an old skool style of terminator armour it'd be called Saturnine)
    RSPCA - Royal Society for the Preservation of Craftworld Avatars. Put a stop to Avatar abuse. Full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortheempire View Post
    Plus what could Lorgar possibly be meditating on for 9-10 thousand years? Was he producing Guns N Roses last album?

Utumno Prime, Throne World of the Iron Warriors 13th

would traitor legions still have Cataphractii pattern armour in 40k? I was thinking of getting a squad of termi's and just love the look of the Cataphractii (I'll have to chaosify it of course for my IW)
    "From iron cometh strength! From strength cometh will! From will cometh faith! From faith cometh honour! From honour cometh iron!"
    —Unbreakable Litany of the Iron Warriors

Iron Warriors 13th Horus Heresy List - Win:32 Loss:11 Draw:1 (Since August, 2013). 1st Place at May 2014 Game Ogre Tournament
    Sha-Ondâr Taghmata Omnissiah - Win: 6 Loss: 1 Draw: 1 (Since August, 2014) 2nd Place at August 2014 Game Ogre Tournament

Quote Originally Posted by agurus1 View Post
    would traitor legions still have Cataphractii pattern armour in 40k? I was thinking of getting a squad of termi's and just love the look of the Cataphractii (I'll have to chaosify it of course for my IW)
    Sure. There may be some Loyalist suits still around still as well.
    "As I've always said, Wes is wise." - Scryer in the Darkness
    "Wes, if you keep this up you'll need to change your name to MajorWiseJanson." - Azzy
    "Many boffins died to bring us this information." - Forgeworld Announcement E-mail
    "Rest assured, Servitor 13 has your best interests at heart. Now let's fire up the lascannons." - GW changes their web privacy policy.

thanks for your research, MajorWesJoson, it really helped. the grey knights, i think it is a modified version of the tartaors pattern, as the grey knights get the best armour, and the tart pattern it the mast advances, sharing technologies with the mark IV Maximus tactical armour...

John Blanche himself has a web page on TDA: http://www.tearsofenvy.com/termi-nation/
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I am the very model of a noob who posts in General,
    I've information frivolous, untrue, and hypothetical,
    My eternal gratitude to: Harry, 75hastings69, Scryer in the Darkness, the Dude, Stickmonkey, Frgt/10, shabbadoo, reds8n, BramGaunt, Azzy, MajorWesJanson...

Quote Originally Posted by agurus1 View Post
    Quite possibly. Betrayed notes that Cataphractii got dropped as time went on in favour of the less clunky and slower patterns - cataphractii was more hard wearing but sacrificed agility. Not quite so useful in a prolonged firefight. Essentially cataphractii terminators were even more of a sitting duck 'shoot here please!' Target.

But as we know, marines are a stubborn bunch, and they do get a chubby on for relic equipment, so its likely several chapters or traitor legions still have units that favour the solid robustness of a relic cataphractii suit - iron warriors spring to mind.

Likewise, there are possibly some traitors who are stuck with it, with the fusing of suits to wearer thanks to gribbly warp shenanigans there may be some stuck with the choice what jeans they put on that morning
    RSPCA - Royal Society for the Preservation of Craftworld Avatars. Put a stop to Avatar abuse. Full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortheempire View Post
    Plus what could Lorgar possibly be meditating on for 9-10 thousand years? Was he producing Guns N Roses last album?

The MK.01 screams Thousand Sons to me; especially as the Scarab Occult is a Terminator unit. I don't expect the MK.02/03 to surface, as the Tartaros effectively replaces one of those. Something to note, though:

Quote Originally Posted by John Blanche on Cataphractii Terminators
    It is unlikely we will see hard copies of these proto-terminators.

Traitor Terminators are some of the most feared members of the Chaos Marine raiding parties that now plague the Eastern fringes of the Imperium.
    That website is very outdated and displays some strange information but... It's nice that an older take on the background from one of the key figures of the time still exists.
    Last edited by Wyrmwood; 07-12-2012 at 13:32.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meriwether
    That's Darnok for ya: No matter what it is, he'll make it fit.

Chapter Master

The current Terminator armour is the Indomitus pattern.
    There is the heavier armoured Cataphractii pattern.
    There is the lighter armoured Tartaros pattern.
    Then there is the Saturnine pattern, which we don't know about yet.
    BTW, all patterns were used in the HH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hatl View Post
    ALL SHALL FALL BEFORE THE ENDLESS CRUSADE! HERESY IS WEAKNESS! HUMANITY SHALL PREVAIL, WITH THE EMPROR'S WILL AS ITS STANDARD AND WATCHWORD! ONWARD, MY BROTHERS!

Seriously, if you're such a **** that you need a Chaos god to back you up in any fight you enter you deserve to get murdered. Real men do it by force of their own badass. And don't even get me started on those weak-ass mother **** psyker witch losers.

Linking the Saturnine pattern with Grey Knight TDA is a pretty fair leap of logic in my opinion.
    /////
    Tales of the Sefirem Sector - Narrative Battle Reports
    Imperial Guard of the Sefirem Sector - Project Log

I'm not trying to be contradictory with the patterns of armour, and I love the fact that people are saying all varities were developed alongside (ish) and that they were all used in the heresy, but is there anywhere that confirms this? It almost seems too good to be true for collecting a Heresy era army.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast