Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: And so it begins... Sureshot05's plog of everything.

Chapter Master

Re: And so it begins... Sureshot05's plog of everything.

No, my sons really are quite dark! They're all base coated midnight blue and highlighted from that. I really prefer to make my Chaos marines as dark and as sinister as possible as they have been wearing the armour for 10,000 years and are the bad guys after all.

The head pieces and weapons are converted from pieces from Scribor (minor cuts and readjustments):
    http://www.sciborminiatures.com
    http://www.sciborminiatures.com/en_,shop.php?art=910

Look for egyptian stuff!

The heads are from grey knight terminators, after filing and filling off the imperial symbols. The combi bolters have the CC weapons cut-off. The book and helmet of the sorceror are from the CSM Lord kit.

The TS crests on the backs are cut to size or greenstuffed larger. And the skull trophy racks have been removed and the holes for them filled in and replaced with smooth armour.
    Last edited by Sureshot05; 15-01-2013 at 11:07.
    Warhammer Armies: Empire, Night Goblins, Dwarves, Daemons of Chaos
    40K Armies: Chaos, Imperial Guard, Ultramarines, Chaos Daemons, Tyranids, Tau
    Epic Armies: Imperial Guard, Ultramarines, Orks, Adeptus Titanicus.
    BFG Forces: Imperial Navy, Chaos.
    See them all here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...-of-everything

I really like the look of those Thousand Sons. Are they intended to be part of an army, or just a little side project?

Chapter Master

They are part of two armies so to speak.
    (1) I have a small Thousand son army being built, which currently consists of two squads, the terminators, a sorcerer, a hellblade, and a defiler, with horrors and a lord of change from my daemons. It has one more squad of TS to be painted and a vindicator to come.
    (2) The Second Siege of Terra. This is the force which will one day return to finish what was started at Terra. It consists of lots of Black legion, with support from the other legions. This point wise would be the main army, given the amount of painted stuff in it, but I regard it as the side project when I'm not working on T'sons. I might dig up a few shots of what's done for that just to show how I've done the black legion (a lot darker) and other legions more differently.

I'd like to see that. I've always been a fan of the Black Legion.

Chapter Master

Just for you Starscream, here are few of my black legion models:

Possessed:

And a older shot:

And an old shot of the defiler for my Thousand sons.

Edit:

And an old shot of some of the basic black legion marines:

Last edited by Sureshot05; 17-01-2013 at 11:05.

Chapter Master

Well, the black legion got very little response, so lets go EPIC instead! The very first army I collected when i was a young 'un was Epic, and the paint job on them shows it. Back then, there was no internet, no nearby store and no one to teach me the basics and I am not artisitically inclined! Here is a snap shot of the first few models I painted, please be warned, they are not for the faint hearted!

And about two years later, it was neater, but still not that good really!

So in the last ten years I have revisited my epic armies, with the intent of doing them justice and making the three epic armies I have always wanted! So, without further ado, here is the new marines. As you can see, they still show stages of improvement, but there is a long way to go.

Having built a detachment, I then started work on an opposing force, namely Epic Orks...

Chapter Master

These are about three years old, and are a slow and steady process. I like my orks dark and dirty, so my epic orks reflected this. Unfortunately, it makes photos difficult!

More Epic is on the way, right after my two latest projects, which I'll show a in a bit.

Chapter Master

Emperor Norton beat me to the crunch with these guys, but on a wave of nostalga i finished these this week.

Just wish my painting was up to his standards! Notice i try to theme the heroes around purple. I avoided it on the barbarian however as there was no where it would work.

These four gave me my 0.25 models a day for this week with one bonus entry who came in at the last minute!

Chapter Master

Hmm, i guess we call that an epic fail... Well, regardless, here is a some more Ultra marine terminators.

Here is the assault squad I did last year:

Never liked the white helmets on the ultramarine terminators. Feels like painting a bulls eye on their heads! And here is the squad I just started, my Blue Vengeance.

I've converted these from their dark angel cousins in the Dark Vengeance set. A lot of the work involves taking off the feathers, the shoulder pad symbols and reducing the wing theme. Hope to get this squad done up in the next two weeks.

On a seperate note, after my comments about the photoshopped Forest Goblin warboss I see GW have added a 360 shot to the website, OF A DIFFERENT POSED MODEL! B***ards, I knew that kit was hard to build, but seeing that they had photoshopped it as well really annoys me!

The white helmets are to show the blood of their enemies, after the termis have nutted them to death. nice work on them, I love the checkered pattern on his fist. I can't say I've ever wanted to paint epic miniatures, they look far too small and fidly! You've done a good job to get the orks to come out well. Dirty suits them. Your black legion stuff is really good too! I like the purple touches on the possessed and the orange glowing power sword on the champion. Keep up the hard work mate we are watching!
    My random painting log: HereBeDragons' Paintathon

Break even Painting target 2012: 212 models. Number complete: 212 !!!!!!!!
    Break even painting target 2013: 268 models. Number complete: 59
    Break even painting target 2014: 325 models. Number complete: 175
    Break even painting target 2015: 836 models. Number complete: 156
    Break even painting target 2016: 238 models. Number complete: 9

Chapter Master

Thank you very much the for kind words HereBeDragons, they are greatly appreciated and a real motivator. Epic miniatures are a real mixed bag to paint. The models themselves are much less fun than the 28 mm to paint, but the army shots look so much more impressive for some reason. I find that they really are a group shot effect, and not so much an individual thing. However, you did say earlier that you likes the graphs, so just for you I bring you up to date with my models per day chart.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chart3.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	162805

As you can see, the number per day is going the wrong direction at the moment. I hope to reverse this with the Dark Vengeance termi's that I am working on, as well as getting on with a more major project of an Imperial compound, which I've been working very slowly on. It's also proving a real git to get a good photograph of, but I hope to show this in the coming weeks as well. Trouble is, that it only counts for two models....

On a side note, as the stat at the top shows (no graph for that one!) I'm pleased to say that at least 50% of what has been bought is now painted. I actually tallied what I had bought personally rather than received as gifts and it's really pleasing to see that I've painted roughly a 4:1 ratio of painted to purchased. In principle, I should have everything done by 2022.

So long as it keeps bobbling about above 0.25 you'll do fine! I dare not think how my graphs would be going atm if I had any. So do you include terrain in your totals? Sadly my dungeon pieces are not in my to paint total for this year but maybe I should add them. It would feel like I'm maintaining progress on my model mountain while painting them, even if it would boost the total by about 35 pieces... I'm looking forward to seeing your compound, is it home made or using the gw kits?

Chapter Master

I include Terrain, but like the baneblade, it counts for one piece even though it takes so much more effort! I don't include Heroquest or Epic at the moment, but have a rule that I must have one side item on the go at all times. You'll note the three percentages at the top. Points gives you a sense of when the big kits are done (the Araknorak being worth 250!), the financial cost is good as it gives you a sense of worth, but the best is simply the model count. I did toy with assigning big kits their own model count (part of my fortress involves the Dark Angel Fortress of Redemption) but it just felt two arbitrary, so hence it got slotted as 1 model. Pleasingly the first of the Dark Vengeance terminators is done, and i tried to do yellow chevrons on a glove (not so good as the checks) on another, so I hope by the end of the week to get the squad finished.

You've got Epic! Epic is just... well, epic!

the termi assault squad you painted last year is nice!
    "Alea Iacta Est"
    Seutonius

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by juicytomatoes View Post
    You've got Epic! Epic is just... well, epic!

the termi assault squad you painted last year is nice!
    Thank you JT. It is indeed. I really want to get a decent sized force painted up for Epic, but it's hard stuff to do I find. The terminators were a real pleasure and something I had wanted to do for ages, and now I have these guys done I'm really pleased to be building up the company.

Without further ado, here is blue vengeance (+1).

I'm pleased with the sergeants sword. It's the first time I have tried this technique and I think I got it right just about. Just wish I could have been a little neater.

And of course, the other part is that I'm glad that my filing and cutting had removed the dark angel feel to the squad.

I think next up is the big project of the landing pad and military complex

Sorry for the terrible shot

With the title of your PLOG all I can think of is this!

Awesome to see your miniatures done by graph. I catalogued the ones I am working on at the moment and due to receive from KS this year with the aim of making sure I paint more than I buy this year but doing everything seemed too much like hard work. It's a great way to track progress though and as it's visible very easy to look at and gain satisfaction from when you see those painted miniatures numbers rising.

As for the miniatures you've got one hell of a variety going on! I really like the Black Legion stuff and that scenery looks fantastic. As for removing Dark Angel insignia I feel your paint as I'm using the Blood Angel terminators from Space Hulk in my Brazen Claw army which means a lot of cleaning off of blood drops etc. They look really good as Ultramarines though, I think the painting is great and I really love the power fists. The would say that the bases could be improved though. The sand/rubble on the top just looks a little too plain for my liking, I think that an ink wash over the top of it and then a dryrush of a lighter colour is a really simple and effective way to make them pop a bit more. It will make the static grass stand out a little more too. I'm also not really a fan of green edges but then this is just personal preference.
    My Various Painting Projects, just added Malifaux Dr Dufresne and a combat hippo!

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jonahmaul View Post
    With the title of your PLOG all I can think of is this!

Awesome to see your miniatures done by graph. I catalogued the ones I am working on at the moment and due to receive from KS this year with the aim of making sure I paint more than I buy this year but doing everything seemed too much like hard work. It's a great way to track progress though and as it's visible very easy to look at and gain satisfaction from when you see those painted miniatures numbers rising.

As for the miniatures you've got one hell of a variety going on! I really like the Black Legion stuff and that scenery looks fantastic. As for removing Dark Angel insignia I feel your paint as I'm using the Blood Angel terminators from Space Hulk in my Brazen Claw army which means a lot of cleaning off of blood drops etc. They look really good as Ultramarines though, I think the painting is great and I really love the power fists. The would say that the bases could be improved though. The sand/rubble on the top just looks a little too plain for my liking, I think that an ink wash over the top of it and then a dryrush of a lighter colour is a really simple and effective way to make them pop a bit more. It will make the static grass stand out a little more too. I'm also not really a fan of green edges but then this is just personal preference.
    Thanks Jonah. My favourite TV series was B5 and, of course, I had to use the quote for this. I'm really glad you pointed out the bases. I think you stare at something too long you lose track of the details. I think I'll revisit those bases and try exactly your suggestion to give them a bit more depth.

How hard did you find the BA's? I've been looking at them for a while, but nervous about the amount of work involved in ultrafying them.

Again, thanks for the comments, they always improve my motivation to tackle the next project.

Here is another (terrible!) photo of the WIP on the walkway between the fortress and the landing pad.

Lots of work to build a entrance into the tower. Still trying to figure out how to paint the fortress so it looks metallic, without looking silly.
    Last edited by Sureshot05; 04-02-2013 at 12:38.

Well, unfortunately Babylon 5 is a big pile of s**t. Actually I really like B5 but couldn't resist getting that reference in there! I found the Blood Angels a little frustrating but its mainly putting something in the place of the blood drops that it the problem, not removing them. I'm not very good with green stuff so I've tried to put little balls there to look like gems and it doesn't look quite right. I've only done a couple so far but in future I'm going to leave the blood drop gems and just paint them green but remove the more obvious BA symbols. I've also done the Captain and the Librarian who are a bit more opulent so there'll be less to do on the basic guys. It is worth it though because the miniatures are fantastic.

Bases are a very easy way to make a miniature look more impressive. The painting is top on these guys so a tiny bit of work on the bases (probably take you no longer than 20 minutes to do all 6 not counting drying times) can make a world of difference. The walkway looks ace and it's going to make one very impressive piece of terrain. That's something I've never really got into enough due to moving pretty frequently and not having the space. One day when I have that elusive games room though! As for painting it you could always go with a stone colour (either grey or the off white bone type colour) or perhaps green?
    My Various Painting Projects, just added Malifaux Dr Dufresne and a combat hippo!

Mr Sureshot, hello! My apologies, I could have sworn I'd commented on your log already but there you go - Warseer false memory syndrome.

I loved your work on the arachnarok and spiders - the Trygon was also very nicely done (to be honest, having only 4 Nids painted isn't so bad if they're all as cool as that). I am currently stuck in the office so can't view your pics but will edit this post later on with more feedback!

Just giving you the big up you deserve, my friend

Ragsta

P.S. I also have a soft spot for Babylon 5 - all their graphics were done with an Amiga and I used to have one of those! Happy times!
    Imperial and Ork starships, random Imperial troops and now the developing zombie plague...
    Building the Orkmada- BFG Orks
    :skull: World War Z :skull:
    Quote Originally Posted by GomezAddams
    Right I'm going to head off, got cowgirls with massive racks to paint - its a hard life

That's a very cool piece of terrain! Looking forward to seeing it completed!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast