Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: And so it begins... Sureshot05's plog of everything.

Librarian

Re: And so it begins... Sureshot05's plog of everything.

This is a really nice Plog, I like the giant spider a lot but I LOVE your Tyranid!

Five stars from me

Chapter Master

Some very kind words here from people. Thank you, they help a lot with motivating me on the large fortress!

Quote Originally Posted by Jihad_Ragsta View Post
    Mr Sureshot, hello! My apologies, I could have sworn I'd commented on your log already but there you go - Warseer false memory syndrome.

I loved your work on the arachnarok and spiders - the Trygon was also very nicely done (to be honest, having only 4 Nids painted isn't so bad if they're all as cool as that). I am currently stuck in the office so can't view your pics but will edit this post later on with more feedback!

Just giving you the big up you deserve, my friend

Ragsta

P.S. I also have a soft spot for Babylon 5 - all their graphics were done with an Amiga and I used to have one of those! Happy times!
    Trygon was a real love affair. Its a lovely kit and really came out well. My hive tyrant was less good. I just couldn't get the wings to be satisfactory. Spiders were a lot of hard work converting, but I hope it makes the NG horde really fun on the table top.

P.S. B5 was originally done on 900 amigas until the later seasons, god knows how they managed to connect them up. I had enough trouble with the one I had!

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeDragons View Post
    That's a very cool piece of terrain! Looking forward to seeing it completed!
    It will be, but it only counts for two on my chart.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonahmaul View Post
    Well, unfortunately Babylon 5 is a big pile of s**t. Actually I really like B5 but couldn't resist getting that reference in there! I found the Blood Angels a little frustrating but its mainly putting something in the place of the blood drops that it the problem, not removing them. I'm not very good with green stuff so I've tried to put little balls there to look like gems and it doesn't look quite right. I've only done a couple so far but in future I'm going to leave the blood drop gems and just paint them green but remove the more obvious BA symbols. I've also done the Captain and the Librarian who are a bit more opulent so there'll be less to do on the basic guys. It is worth it though because the miniatures are fantastic.

Bases are a very easy way to make a miniature look more impressive. The painting is top on these guys so a tiny bit of work on the bases (probably take you no longer than 20 minutes to do all 6 not counting drying times) can make a world of difference. The walkway looks ace and it's going to make one very impressive piece of terrain. That's something I've never really got into enough due to moving pretty frequently and not having the space. One day when I have that elusive games room though! As for painting it you could always go with a stone colour (either grey or the off white bone type colour) or perhaps green?
    You know, that first sentence nearly cost you Jonahmaul . Thanks for the advice on the BA termi's. I think I might start one in the coming week and see how it goes.

Terrain storage (and the GW big kit craze) is a real issue. This sits in our lounge on top of the cupboard. My ever suffering fiancee has said as long as it's painted up it can stay there! I also have a small city on shelves in my daughters bedroom, but she loves them so it works really well!

Quote Originally Posted by Shush View Post
    This is a really nice Plog, I like the giant spider a lot but I LOVE your Tyranid!

Five stars from me
    Thanks Shush, I'll have to get to work on another to see if I can impress you again!

I hope tomorrow (work is being hell this week!) to have some photos of this weeks work, including a special guest entry from my daughter!
    Warhammer Armies: Empire, Night Goblins, Dwarves, Daemons of Chaos
    40K Armies: Chaos, Imperial Guard, Ultramarines, Chaos Daemons, Tyranids, Tau
    Epic Armies: Imperial Guard, Ultramarines, Orks, Adeptus Titanicus.
    BFG Forces: Imperial Navy, Chaos.
    See them all here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...-of-everything

The first sentence is a quote from Spaced which is also a fantastic TV series and I would recommend that anybody should watch. Looking forward to seeing more from you Sureshot
    My Various Painting Projects, just added Malifaux Dr Dufresne and a combat hippo!

I notice I've missed B5 love and loads of new pictures. I really need to look in more often.

You've posted way too many pictures for me to comment on all your stuff. The Black Legion Possessed however, are awesome. the colours really sit well together..

As for B5. Also awesome. I couldn't get enough of it when it was new and still revisit it on DVD on a semi regular basis.

That Arachnarock is great, you've really executed that colour scheme well! Cool to see it paired up with Night Goblins instead of the forest goblins that it comes with, they fit right in!

Are those two different tanks or the same tank with magnetized or otherwise swappable weapons?

Your Trygon is badass! Are those claws a brownish yellow or are they actually bronze? Either way I really like the contrasts.

Really cool colour-scheme on those winged Black Legion models, I really like the guy with the full set of teeth, feels very Venom from Spiderman. Have you sculpted that head? If so it's really well done.

I second what earlier speakers have said, really want to see that fortress and skypad finished, that is some great stuff.
    Ogres, Tyranids and recently I've gone back to my roots to finish and upgrade my Wood Elf army. - Gutplates and Hive Minds

Chapter Master

Thanks again for the kind words,

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream1138 View Post
    I notice I've missed B5 love and loads of new pictures. I really need to look in more often.

You've posted way too many pictures for me to comment on all your stuff. The Black Legion Possessed however, are awesome. the colours really sit well together..

As for B5. Also awesome. I couldn't get enough of it when it was new and still revisit it on DVD on a semi regular basis.
    Glad you like the black legion. The daemon elements of my forces are very bright (to form a counter point to the dark marines) and the black legion possessed work really well because of this. Plus after painting 40 odd metal Horrors (Diaz sculpts) I am quite happy with painting daemonic purple!

Quote Originally Posted by Azendral View Post
    That Arachnarock is great, you've really executed that colour scheme well! Cool to see it paired up with Night Goblins instead of the forest goblins that it comes with, they fit right in!

Are those two different tanks or the same tank with magnetized or otherwise swappable weapons?

Your Trygon is badass! Are those claws a brownish yellow or are they actually bronze? Either way I really like the contrasts.

Really cool colour-scheme on those winged Black Legion models, I really like the guy with the full set of teeth, feels very Venom from Spiderman. Have you sculpted that head? If so it's really well done.

I second what earlier speakers have said, really want to see that fortress and skypad finished, that is some great stuff.
    Thanks, the only trouble with the night gobbo's is that they're dark and don't stand out as well as forest gobbos. The tank kit is completely swappable without magnetising which is a huge boon so I decided to make it swappable (unusually for me). My black legion possessed are the basic kits swapped with a few bitz from the other CSM sets. The head you mention is one of the defaults in the set, just highlighted on the teeth to really emphasise on the horrible mouth effect.

Fortress and Landing pad are coming, but unfortunately I've been ill this last week which has dragged me down a fair bit. Between that, work and my little baby I've not got to it this week. BAH! Enough excuses, this weekend I'll make some significant progress, or else....

Chapter Master

Well, it's been a mixed couple of weeks. Some git stole a carry case as I was on the tube and I was fuming. Good news is the case was empty except for an badly painted squad of Thousand Sons (bought from ebay) so I'm not devastated, just pissed. So instead, I treated myself to a replacement squad and have refocused anew on my existing stuff.

Now the good news:

First, work on the fortress complex continues. Next stage is to ink and shade the entire fortress. Normally I'm a big fan of covering metals in Nuln Oil, but on these flat surfaces I don't think I'll get the right effect.

I'm not an expert at glazing, so any advice on how to apply a nice black glaze to the entire landing pad would be appreciated. Then the landing pads done and onto the fortress of redemption.

However, I have been cheeky and started a side project recently.

You now have the honour of looking upon an Ultramarine... (Sorry for the terrible quote abuse!). This is not just any marine to me, he is an update of the very first marine I painted. Sergeant Bugeye. He's named because I applied so many layers of paint trying to get his eyes right (I was very young) that the eye socket got filled and became an eye bulge. Maybe later if people would like a giggle I'll post a picture of him so you can see where Commander Bugeye comes from.

I've also started a project working on a new squad of Thousand sons, to replace the stolen one. Watch this space for the new models and conversion of the leaders (which are almost done).

Urgh, that is very frustrating that come c**t stole your case. I've had a mate lose an entire army by leaving his case on the train but he was drunk so was his own fault which means I have less sympathy! Fortunate that you didn't have too much in it though, every cloud and all that. The Fortress complex looks fantastic but definitely do not start putting washes over flat surfaces. I made this mistake on my Land Raider and ended up having to strip it as it went so badly. Sergeant Bugeye looks cool, get up some of those pictures from his earlier iteration (kudos on attempting eyes so early though).
    My Various Painting Projects, just added Malifaux Dr Dufresne and a combat hippo!

Chapter Master

Thanks Jonah. I may be persuaded to show the earlier incarnation later, but he can stay safely under wraps for now!

Not sure how to go about shading the metallic. I definitely want to darken all the metallic regions, but want to avoid the splotches you get with inks. I might try knocking together a black glaze and see how it goes.

However, the loss of my (rubbish) squad of T'sons has finally provoked me into both making a new squad and also finishing my other T'son models. A few minor conversions later and we have the sorcerers that will lead my T'sons in battle.

And close up on squad leaders:

That fortress is coming together nicely. Do the glaze over several thin coats, should help avoid the pooling even if it will take longer. Terrain can be such a pain time wise. Really sorry to hear about your army case!

Edit: you also have the honour of my 1000th post!
    My random painting log: HereBeDragons' Paintathon

Break even Painting target 2012: 212 models. Number complete: 212 !!!!!!!!
    Break even painting target 2013: 268 models. Number complete: 59
    Break even painting target 2014: 325 models. Number complete: 175
    Break even painting target 2015: 836 models. Number complete: 156
    Break even painting target 2016: 238 models. Number complete: 9

Looking forward to seeing those thousand sons painted up. Where did you get the big shield from? It looks very cool.

Also real sorry to hear about your carry case, but I must say you've made some really good looking conversions there. Guessing that's an egyptian shield from Scibor, isn't it? I think I have the same one somewhere among the assorted shields that I bought for my Ogres.

And as previously stated, that piece of terrain is really impressive.
    Ogres, Tyranids and recently I've gone back to my roots to finish and upgrade my Wood Elf army. - Gutplates and Hive Minds

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeDragons View Post
    That fortress is coming together nicely. Do the glaze over several thin coats, should help avoid the pooling even if it will take longer. Terrain can be such a pain time wise. Really sorry to hear about your army case!

Edit: you also have the honour of my 1000th post!
    Well, I am honoured, makes up for the terrain count (btw, this fortress and landing pad counts for.... 2 pieces in my charts!). I'll be trying this tonight (the thin glazes). Very fearful of getting this wrong, as I don't want it to look drippy!

Quote Originally Posted by tcmainprize View Post
    Looking forward to seeing those thousand sons painted up. Where did you get the big shield from? It looks very cool.
    Azendral's right, I got the shield from Scribor. Lovely sets of egyptian components, but makes things a bit pricey. However, the quality is good and for a unique conversion worth it. Wouldn't be doing a whole army at the rate these few units have cost me.

Quote Originally Posted by Azendral View Post
    Also real sorry to hear about your carry case, but I must say you've made some really good looking conversions there. Guessing that's an egyptian shield from Scibor, isn't it? I think I have the same one somewhere among the assorted shields that I bought for my Ogres.

And as previously stated, that piece of terrain is really impressive.
    Yeah, it's turning out to be a good thing though. For the last two years, my Thousand sons had two troop choices consisting of one nicely painted squad and one that needed stripping (bought via ebay). Having that squad stolen (had to be after I had just stripped it!) has pushed me the final leg to getting the second squad done in the same colour scheme as the first. Finished building the second squad last night. And hope to get the under coating done this weekend. Looking forward to getting the army all painted up and on the table in the same colour scheme rather than the hodge podge I've fielded for the last two years.

Pics to come this weekend when I have something more than just built models as you've all seen TS's before, (if not go back a couple of pages...)
    Last edited by Sureshot05; 22-02-2013 at 12:41.

Hi Sureshot,

I really like your stuff, especially the Arachnarok, the Trygon and Commander Bugeye (though I think he would look even better with his cloak/cape in a contrasting colour).
    On the glazing issue (if I'm not to late): Though I'm no expert, I had to glaze a rhino and a vindicator with badab black recently, as their colour turned out too light. As HereBeDragons already wrote, use several layers of very thin glazes (in my case two or three layers of extremely watered down badab black). If the glaze still pools (as it did on a few spots on my tanks) you can use a clean brush with a little water to correct it.

Regards
    Alrik

Commander

Awesome stuff Sureshot, this log is full of tasty morsels. The Rubric Terminator Sorcerer blew my mind, such a wonderful conversion, and the shield just tops it off. The Possessed are also very nice, I dig the 'warp-spawned' purple you achieved. Nice terrain as well, gets me thinking I should have a go at it.
    Looking forward to updates

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik vom Fluss View Post
    Hi Sureshot,

I really like your stuff, especially the Arachnarok, the Trygon and Commander Bugeye (though I think he would look even better with his cloak/cape in a contrasting colour).
    On the glazing issue (if I'm not to late): Though I'm no expert, I had to glaze a rhino and a vindicator with badab black recently, as their colour turned out too light. As HereBeDragons already wrote, use several layers of very thin glazes (in my case two or three layers of extremely watered down badab black). If the glaze still pools (as it did on a few spots on my tanks) you can use a clean brush with a little water to correct it.

Regards
    Alrik
    Alrik, you're right about the cloak. Now you've said that I wish I had done it white! Captain bug eye will have to get a promotion and another model at some point. On the glazing, I'm putting it off, but I'll have to do it soon. As you'll see below...

Quote Originally Posted by AtmanAbecedarian View Post
    Awesome stuff Sureshot, this log is full of tasty morsels. The Rubric Terminator Sorcerer blew my mind, such a wonderful conversion, and the shield just tops it off. The Possessed are also very nice, I dig the 'warp-spawned' purple you achieved. Nice terrain as well, gets me thinking I should have a go at it.
    Looking forward to updates
    Thanks. Thousand Son's are a real passion for me and gettnig them right is a lot of work. I hope when the second squad is done they'll look good on the table. Spent a long time with a rubbish painted squad (From ebay that i was going to strip) and the one shown previously. Hope to get the rest of the force done soon. (Tm).

And fortress is slowly progressing. Most base coating is done, now on to details and inking. Just glad to have concept done.

That fortress looks fantastic Sureshot. Is this for a home board?

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jonahmaul View Post
    That fortress looks fantastic Sureshot. Is this for a home board?
    Thank you Jonahmaul, it's part of my Imperial city for my home board. Buildings are done, just the fortress left to go. Making it capable of being disassembled into components so I can have either complete complex (fence, tower, landing pad) or tower+landing pad or just one of the constituents. I did the city over the last two years, but this is something I wanted to add. (unless you count that cathedral I keep thinking of...). Oh, and to make you chuckle, counts for two models on my graph, TWO! I could have painted a hundred night gobbos in that time, moan.

I have also finished a small side project. Can anyone guess what it is?
    Clues are there are two of them, one has lots of teeth and the other has a big magic stick...

Chapter Master

And here is a second and third view of the board in progress.

Care to enter?

Airshot.

And my not very difficult riddle is obviously proving too much for some people. :P So here is a second clue. I detest special characters in general, but this was a birthday present so I am making an exception!

beautiful beautiful terrain! I absolutely love the connecting bridge to the landing pad. It's terrain like this that really inspires.
    "Alea Iacta Est"
    Seutonius

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast