Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: And so it begins... Sureshot05's plog of everything.

Chapter Master

Re: And so it begins... Sureshot05's plog of everything.

My other recent project has been a nice Dwarf army mainly based on the old skull pass models, and AoW for good measure.

My miners consist of the BfSP and a few metals. I really like these guys and I really enjoyed trying different effects on each candle.

Again, came out quite well. Given the models were regarded as quite bad I really liked these.

Argh! What a terrible photo. And this is the best of ten shots.... I need a camera stand as I am obviously never going to have steady enough hands. Slightly depressing, but I can assure you that I like these a lot more when they are not blurry.

Found the AoW models quite tough to paint, lots of little bits of bling that I don't feel I did justice. However, as a unit they both fit with the army, whilst maintaining that Slayer aesthetic. I could easily see me getting another box of these in the long term.
    Warhammer Armies: Empire, Night Goblins, Dwarves, Daemons of Chaos
    40K Armies: Chaos, Imperial Guard, Ultramarines, Chaos Daemons, Tyranids, Tau
    Epic Armies: Imperial Guard, Ultramarines, Orks, Adeptus Titanicus.
    BFG Forces: Imperial Navy, Chaos.
    See them all here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...-of-everything

Hello stunties! Excellent stuff. I love the AoW Berserker miniatures and they're such a bargain compared to the GW Trollslayers. The purple works really well with them. Looking forward to seeing more.
    My Various Painting Projects, just added Malifaux Dr Dufresne and a combat hippo!

Nice looking Dwarfs. I wouldn't have thought the light purple would work on them, but it does.

Ooo nice dwarves! Unexpected surprise! I really like the candle flames, particularly the one on the far left miner. The AoW slayers are lovely looking models. Are you thinking of picking up the new pathfinder unit for use as rangers?
    My random painting log: HereBeDragons' Paintathon

Break even Painting target 2012: 212 models. Number complete: 212 !!!!!!!!
    Break even painting target 2013: 268 models. Number complete: 59
    Break even painting target 2014: 325 models. Number complete: 175
    Break even painting target 2015: 836 models. Number complete: 156
    Break even painting target 2016: 238 models. Number complete: 9

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jonahmaul View Post
    Hello stunties! Excellent stuff. I love the AoW Berserker miniatures and they're such a bargain compared to the GW Trollslayers. The purple works really well with them. Looking forward to seeing more.
    Thanks. They're not just a bargain, they are a really beautiful kit to work with. Lots of options and great poses.

Quote Originally Posted by aku-chan View Post
    Nice looking Dwarfs. I wouldn't have thought the light purple would work on them, but it does.
    Thanks, purple was chosen on a whim and has really worked well with the dwarves. It provides a good contrast to the metals and beards. I'm hoping that I can slowly build all the models up into a nice single army.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeDragons View Post
    Ooo nice dwarves! Unexpected surprise! I really like the candle flames, particularly the one on the far left miner. The AoW slayers are lovely looking models. Are you thinking of picking up the new pathfinder unit for use as rangers?
    Funnily enough, it's either him or the leader that is my favourite dwarf so far. And the new parthfinders are quite tempting. Waiting for Dark Sphere to get some in and then we'll see how much they are. If they are the same as the slayers then I'll have to pick some up.

Ooh, Avatars of war dwarves! I've tried convincing one of the players in my group he needs to get those but he's been resisting. Great work on those slayers.
    Ogres, Tyranids and recently I've gone back to my roots to finish and upgrade my Wood Elf army. - Gutplates and Hive Minds

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Azendral View Post
    Ooh, Avatars of war dwarves! I've tried convincing one of the players in my group he needs to get those but he's been resisting. Great work on those slayers.
    They are a lovely kit. Highly recommend if you want slayers in your dwarves.

So I've been working hard on a few things, and hope over the next few days to show the fruits of my painting labours. First up, we have these guys:

The blending went much better than expected, but the tusks need a little more work (now I have the photo). Overall quite happy with them and they blend perfectly between my blue and pink horrors colours so fit with all my other Tzeentch units so far.

Next up, as soon as I can get a good pic, the completed Mighty Empires set and the finished fortress.

Hurrah, an update! Those screamers are looking very cool.
    My Various Painting Projects, just added Malifaux Dr Dufresne and a combat hippo!

I like the purple and orange Troll slayers.

Chapter Master

Hurrah, an update! Those screamers are looking very cool.
    Thank you. I was terrified of the blending and glad it came out well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jormi_Boced View Post
    I like the purple and orange Troll slayers.
    Thanks, they are a lovely kit and highly recommended. Only annoyed I didn't green stuff up the mold lines.

And here is a preview of the finished fortress. Need to wait til the weekend when I can get a some good lighting but this is it.

That's pretty cool, but you really need to put a mini on there for scale purposes to show off how big it is.
    2012 Minis bought: 363 - - Minis painted: 373
    2013 Minis bought: 1060 - - Minis painted: 210
    2014 Minis bought: 651 - - Minis painted: 63
    2015 Minis bought: 1057 - - Minis painted: 105 - - Sold: 556
    2016 Minis bought: 386 - - Minis painted: 8 - - Sold: 332

Tha's a fantastic looking piece of terrain. Makes me feel bad that I've not got around to painting any of mine!

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorNorton View Post
    That's pretty cool, but you really need to put a mini on there for scale purposes to show off how big it is.
    You know, sometimes the best advice is the most simple. I really hadn't thought of that, but it really helped the photo's below so thank you.

Tha's a fantastic looking piece of terrain. Makes me feel bad that I've not got around to painting any of mine!
    Big kits are very arduous. I went for a very weathered and worn look on my fortress specifically because it allowed me a little bit more leeway and fitted with my ruined city, but I can honestly say that I will not be tackling a project this large again for a very long time! Between this and my baneblade, I can honestly say that unless a shadowsword magically appears I won't be doing any giant kits again as they take a huge amount of time and can be quite soul destroying.

So picture time, taking EmperorNorton's advice I included a couple of my most recent infantry I had painted, a pair of Plaguebearers, for scale. They also fit with the dilapidated but functional look I have tried to go for on the fortress.

So the long promised fortress. I have kept the Dark angel insignia, with the idea that the original structure was built by them, before being readapted over the millenia by local forces into the city's garrison. It is meant to represent a local fortress, maybe used by the arbites as their head of operations to watch over the city, but lacking resources have not kept the structure and surroundings in good condition. The board is deliberately flat, I made this decision early on due to storage, and ease of play. I used to have an elaborate mountain range I had made for a gaming table, but getting the figures to stand proved a constant nightmare so I have opted against more realistic ground, in favour of a flat base which is suitable for gaming on.

First shot:

Landing pad is mottled, burned and oiled from all the aircraft that have taken off and on from it. Besides it lies a single power generator. Not particular happy with this piece, but I am so tired of working on this fortress that I will have to come back to that bit!

For a spot colour, I toyed with several, but in the end went for red. I wanted it to have a menacing vibe, and blood red just changes the tone of the piece into something a little darker. I put a lot of effort into the tower, both the converted entrance, but also painting as it is naturally the part your eye is drawn to.

Slightly blurry, but I like this shot as it gets the sense of scale across. The kits are huge and combined make a really spectacular piece. The dark angel insignia can be seen, etched down to the brass, as can the bridge linking the platform with the main base.

Come on in! This shot shows the support to the bridge nicely. The actual bridge is supported at three points, but attached to the landing platform so if I want to use the fortress on it's own I can remove them.

So here is my customised entrance and a couple of unlikely visitors. The doors were built from two old bulldozer blades from my bits box, with other parts canabilised from various kits including Empire knights, warhammer buildings, and the deathstrike kit. A little green stuffing and it appears to be a natural part of the tower now, thankfully!

And now for the two plaguebearers.

The lighting here isn't quite right, but as you can see I've gone for a pale rotting green scheme.

The guts are actually a lot redder than shown, I guess they'll have to wait on their fellows completion before I can get a nice clean shot of them.

Thanks for all the supportive comments on this fortress and my other photos. It really has helped and it is those little comments that have led to my fortress finally being finished!

Definitely worth the effort because that is a fantastic piece of terrain and would be a joy to play on. I love the way that final Plaguebearer looks like he's just peering over the top of the barricade!

Fantastic work on the fortress! It's a massive achievement. Painting huge models, particular ones without much variety like tanks and buildings, is an immensely tedious task sometimes. It's a lovely piece. I really like the door and bridge conversions, making the piece your own. I hope you can now move on to easier and smaller models safe in the knowledge that monster model is done!
    My random painting log: HereBeDragons' Paintathon

Break even Painting target 2012: 212 models. Number complete: 212 !!!!!!!!
    Break even painting target 2013: 268 models. Number complete: 59
    Break even painting target 2014: 325 models. Number complete: 175
    Break even painting target 2015: 836 models. Number complete: 156
    Break even painting target 2016: 238 models. Number complete: 9

Chapter Master

Definitely worth the effort because that is a fantastic piece of terrain and would be a joy to play on. I love the way that final Plaguebearer looks like he's just peering over the top of the barricade!
    I think that, like me, he has vertigo and really misses the lack of railings. I look forward to using it in a game soon, wel, as soon as I find an opponent or one of my old friends comes to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeDragons View Post
    Fantastic work on the fortress! It's a massive achievement. Painting huge models, particular ones without much variety like tanks and buildings, is an immensely tedious task sometimes. It's a lovely piece. I really like the door and bridge conversions, making the piece your own. I hope you can now move on to easier and smaller models safe in the knowledge that monster model is done!
    Thank for the kind words. It's the base coating, on such large kits it just takes forever, and if you rush it, you ruin it. I always find it the most painful stage of painting. Once I'm on to highlights, blending and shading, I'm happy, but the initial coating is always a pain. Tanks ironically aren't so bad thanks to army painter as I can get the base coat done in seconds. Giant monsters, and buildings tend to require brushwork, and that takes forever.

After joking in Emperor Nortons lovely blog about beard buddies I have done these:

I have to laugh really, the time I took doing these and working a bit more on my plaguebearers (points for guessing who inspired those!) Emperor N pumps out an entire regiment! Bah! On the plus side, these were a joy to paint. Doing them individually meant I could do better justice to them than I could with the first two sets and I think it shows. Pose wise, I went for a low and threatening on the pair. Whilst others have their axes in the air, I like the idea that these two have them low either before or after a set of strikes.
    Painting wise, whilst my shakey hands played havoc with the beards (took four repaints to not get paint from the beards on the skin, or vice versa!) I was really pleased to get the eyes perfect. They are done with the standard trick of white, then a black line down the middle, then retouch up the skin afterwards. With a tiny bit of shading I think they came out really well and add a lot to the character of the two models. I also worked hard keeping to my theme of understated jewelry. These warriors have all sorts of bling on the models, but I like to not draw too much attention to it, so minimise the highlights on the gold. Biggest regret with these guys is not greenstuffing the joins. I didn't think about it in my excitement to get them painted, but now I really regret it, the arms look too much like they have been stuck on, rather than being an organic part of the model. It's really clear when you look at the rear:

Hopefully I'll show some plaguebearers in the next few days. They are just about finished, and I am quite pleased with them so far.
    Last edited by Sureshot05; 16-09-2013 at 11:44.

Good job, beard buddy!
    I have a hundred of those fellers waiting for me, but I don't think I'll start on them before the army book comes out.
    2012 Minis bought: 363 - - Minis painted: 373
    2013 Minis bought: 1060 - - Minis painted: 210
    2014 Minis bought: 651 - - Minis painted: 63
    2015 Minis bought: 1057 - - Minis painted: 105 - - Sold: 556
    2016 Minis bought: 386 - - Minis painted: 8 - - Sold: 332

Interesting and quirky plog, I hope your painting catches up to your plasti-crack buying habit!
    Yeah, we flew our space church across 500 light years to get to this planet taken over by the orks. Now we're going to drop from orbit in buckets and run out and shoot pistols and hit people in the head with chainsaws. Ultramarines!

Chapter Master

Good job, beard buddy!
    I have a hundred of those fellers waiting for me, but I don't think I'll start on them before the army book comes out.
    You do have those lovely pathfinders though... Don't know if I could resist assembling them. Currently, I think I have about 100 dwarves in total, with about 40 done so I've got a fair way to go yet. I hope to get a couple done a week and see how long before I have a full throng.

Quote Originally Posted by ashc View Post
    Interesting and quirky plog, I hope your painting catches up to your plasti-crack buying habit!
    Thank you, in fact, we have not had an addiction update in a while so here we go.

The Mighty Empires set is responsible for that last peak, a lot of models, which I got done in bulk and now have a nice map. As soon as I get a hold of my partners camera, I'll take a pick, but my phone just doesn't do any good for that one. The rate of models being painted is up though! Roughly 0.33 models a day which is amazing for me. I don't expect it to stay there, unless I start on the large pile of night goblins that needs doing...

In more daemonic news:

Chapter Master

Good job, beard buddy!
    You do have those lovely pathfinders though... Don't know if I could resist assembling them. Currently, I think I have about 100 dwarves in total, with about 40 done so I've got a fair way to go yet. I hope to get a couple done a week and see how long before I have a full throng.

Quote Originally Posted by ashc View Post
    Thank you, in fact, we have not had an addiction update in a while so here we go.

The Mighty Empires set is responsible for that last peak, a lot of models, which I got done in bulk and now have a nice map. As soon as I get a hold of my partners camera, I'll take a pick, but my phone just doesn't do any good for that one. The rate of models being painted is up though! Roughly 0.33 models a day which is amazing for me. I don't expect it to stay there, unless I start on the large pile of night goblins that needs doing...

In more daemonic news:

We have the finished plaguebearers.

Quite pleased with these guys, though I am having massive issues with photobucket which makes editing and cropping these pictures a real pain. Any advice on that would be great. I found the flesh and gore nicely contrasts with pale skin and the dark green nurglings both fit and contrast with their dull friends. I had to ink these three times to get the desired effect, a base coat of rotting flesh, three coats of a athonian camoshade and then two sets of highlights though I think it came out okay. A harder issue was the teeth and eyes, which i wanted jet black due to rot and decay (bright teeth would also blend into the skin colour). But I worry they look a little dull.

Finally, (though the more mathematically inclined will have noted this) I have finally reached over 50% of my unpainted collection is now painted! It's a big goal and unless I buy a substantial amount of models in the coming weeks I am not likely to slip behind. It's also good because it does mean that I am painting a lot more than I buying and a day will come when everything (yes! EVERYTHING!) is painted. Though I recently started counting up painted models as well so I might update the chart with the entire collection at some point. Or maybe another chart... It would be good to have a total and a pie chart according to army and costs.
    Last edited by Sureshot05; 19-09-2013 at 11:52.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast