Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: And so it begins... Sureshot05's plog of everything.

Re: And so it begins... Sureshot05's plog of everything.

Really great work on those plague bearers, I really like the greenish rot colour you've chosen and you have nice strong contrasts. I'm intrigued by your bases, can't say I've seen gravel bases before. Sure, bases with gravel on them but not true "gravel yard" bases. Nice!

I can understand your worries over the black teeth, always a risk with black. I think they look good though, a bit hard to see in these photos but I can see some highlights there but not too much. You could possibly try adding some drool? Either some clear resin or water effect might work, just enough for a wet disgusting look?
    Ogres, Tyranids and recently I've gone back to my roots to finish and upgrade my Wood Elf army. - Gutplates and Hive Minds

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Azendral View Post
    Really great work on those plague bearers, I really like the greenish rot colour you've chosen and you have nice strong contrasts. I'm intrigued by your bases, can't say I've seen gravel bases before. Sure, bases with gravel on them but not true "gravel yard" bases. Nice!

I can understand your worries over the black teeth, always a risk with black. I think they look good though, a bit hard to see in these photos but I can see some highlights there but not too much. You could possibly try adding some drool? Either some clear resin or water effect might work, just enough for a wet disgusting look?
    That is a great idea. Think I might revisit them tonight and add a little drool or pus.

The bases are done in a very simple grey gravel so as to fit into both settings and remain fairly neutral. I like the idea of the Chaos wastes being a grey ashen wasteland, except when the wind of chaos flushes over the landscape and brings things to a dark twisted life. At some point in the distant future I want to build a warhammer table around this theme, but lack the space to store it right now.
    Warhammer Armies: Empire, Night Goblins, Dwarves, Daemons of Chaos
    40K Armies: Chaos, Imperial Guard, Ultramarines, Chaos Daemons, Tyranids, Tau
    Epic Armies: Imperial Guard, Ultramarines, Orks, Adeptus Titanicus.
    BFG Forces: Imperial Navy, Chaos.
    See them all here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...-of-everything

Quote Originally Posted by Sureshot05 View Post
    You do have those lovely pathfinders though... Don't know if I could resist assembling them.
    The material is not so lovely, though, which is holding me back from assembling them currently.
    They will land on my painting table sooner rather than later, though.

Very cool shade of ick on your Plaguebearers.
    2012 Minis bought: 363 - - Minis painted: 373
    2013 Minis bought: 1060 - - Minis painted: 210
    2014 Minis bought: 651 - - Minis painted: 63
    2015 Minis bought: 1057 - - Minis painted: 105 - - Sold: 556
    2016 Minis bought: 386 - - Minis painted: 8 - - Sold: 332

Great work on the Plaguebearers, they're looking really good.
    My Various Painting Projects, just added Malifaux Dr Dufresne and a combat hippo!

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorNorton View Post
    The material is not so lovely, though, which is holding me back from assembling them currently.
    They will land on my painting table sooner rather than later, though.

Very cool shade of ick on your Plaguebearers.
    What is bad about the material? Is it not the same as the beserkers? I was thinking of picking them up soon, but this made me a bit hesitant!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonahmaul View Post
    Great work on the Plaguebearers, they're looking really good.
    Thanks Jonah, hope your PhD write up is going well.

I have several projects on the go at the moment, but none of them are really getting my enthusiasm to paint up. My current highlight is this:

The main vehicle is complete except for a few touch ups, but the bulldozer blade is still under work. I'm trying to make it look like this is one of the blood angels who was defending the walls of terra during the final siege. As the T'sons were one of the legions sieging the palace it seemed a nice idea to have one of the victims still strapped to the vindicator after all this time. I'm still toying with doing the eyes the same as my T'sons to give the idea that maybe not just sons were caught in the Rubric, but I'm undecided at the moment. Also, the chains need dulling and rusting, and the main blade needs a lot of highlights.

Also on my painting arena at the moment are:
    10 tactical marines
    4 Heresy Marines (MK III)
    10 Free company
    5 Outriders
    2 Beserkers/slayers
    3 Dwarf warriors
    None of these are really getting me inspired, and I think the core issue is the Empire models where I am struggling with the white clothing and shading. Any tips?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131014_083548_zps432f7db9.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	179954  
    Last edited by Sureshot05; 14-10-2013 at 11:17.

For the white, would it be easier to paint a grey base coat and work up the highlights insteaf of shading down?

As for the vindicator, the amount of chains is just so cool. The guy tied to the front must be deaf by now!

Nice job on the Vindicator's decoration!

Quote Originally Posted by Sureshot05 View Post
    What is bad about the material? Is it not the same as the beserkers? I was thinking of picking them up soon, but this made me a bit hesitant!
    No, not the same as the berserkers at all. It's the same as Privateer Press use, it doesn't come on a sprue and it has to be glued with superglue.
    Assembling the Pathfinders was extremely frustrating. The parts don't fit very well and the minis being multi-part is deceiving as the posability (is that a real word?) is very low.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by juicytomatoes View Post
    For the white, would it be easier to paint a grey base coat and work up the highlights insteaf of shading down?

As for the vindicator, the amount of chains is just so cool. The guy tied to the front must be deaf by now!
    Well, I guess his hearing is dust... Enough with the terrible tenuous jokes. Your comment led me to a bit of revelation, I realised my shading was just too dark, and should start at grey. Finally making progress on these guys now.

Nice job on the Vindicator's decoration!

No, not the same as the berserkers at all. It's the same as Privateer Press use, it doesn't come on a sprue and it has to be glued with superglue.
    Assembling the Pathfinders was extremely frustrating. The parts don't fit very well and the minis being multi-part is deceiving as the posability (is that a real word?) is very low.
    That's gutting. I think I will still get a set, but not that soon now. I have enough to keep me tied up for a while. Speaking of which:

It's finished now, chains and details added. Photo's don't do it justice, but I am hoping to fix that in a couple of weeks.

I just love the idea of the warrior on the front having been a defender of the palace walls during the siege of the Emperors palace. Took a bit of work, but I think the effect paid off. The shading on the blood angel doesn't come out well in the light, but it was a lot of work, as well as rusting the chains just enough to make them appear old, but not ancient, there is a rubric after all! I really liked the idea of using these suits for remants of the Horus Heresy.

Plus it gave me an idea for my sternguard: W.I.P.

I intend to add a few seals and things, to perhaps mark this suit or others in the sternguard squad out as suits born from the Cleansing of the Word bearers when the Ultras were directly involved in their punishment. Having difficulty with the white, feed back appreciated.

Lastly, here is what is on the paint arena at the moment.

As you can see, I'm almost done with the free company, just skin and faces to go.

Chapter Master

So a lot of painting went on over Xmas, but more importantly I got married, hence the time away from this plog and the forum in general. To celebrate this, I finally got a few good pictures of the fortress featured a couple of pages back to celebrate that and the New Year. These were taken as part of a large apoc* game which was great fun to play.

*previous edition apoc.

Before the storm.

The darkness rises!

And then the dark gods followers come.

And the Angels of death arrive!

And a quick shot taken by my daughter! She loved the Ultra's holding the line against the daemons. But she insisted in doing it in black and white which made things a little hard to make out!

Back to more usual plog related shots later, hope you enjoyed these.

Great work!

Great Photography!

Always some good variation here!
    Also, congrats! it makes me happy to see that hobby + marriage + family can still be a success!
    I have too many project armies to list...
    Check out my Painting Blog! Comments/Criticism welcome! Historicals, 40k, Fantasy and more! - 2016 Model Count: 68 Bought/10 Painted
    Tabletop Showcase A forum dedicated to wargaming project logs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
    In other words as a rock player I find that changes to scissors are fair, balanced and reasonable but that paper has been made too strong in this edition and should be nerfed.

Congratulations! What wonderful news!! And my... You are good at pgoto editing. Very atmospheric.

Congratulations on the good news Sureshot. Welcome to the clan, we meet on Tuesdays and Fridays. Three knocks, two bangs, and another three knocks will get you in!

The fortress looks fantastic and I love all the in-game shots. Apparently I didn't comment on your previous post so apologies. The Vindicator looks fantastic.
    My Various Painting Projects, just added Malifaux Dr Dufresne and a combat hippo!

Congratulations! No apologies needed there, that is far more important than updating stuff on a forum. Lovely lovely pics of some really well-painted models. Looking forward to seeing your 2014 painting when you settle into to married life with the missus

Congratulations!

Those are some sweet battlefield pictures.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel36 View Post
    Congratulations! What wonderful news!! And my... You are good at pgoto editing. Very atmospheric.
    Thank you, I confess that my partner is the photoshop whiz, it was a gift to her for xmas and she is now enjoying photoshopping a few of my models into more realistic scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisanis View Post
    Great work!

Great Photography!

Always some good variation here!
    Also, congrats! it makes me happy to see that hobby + marriage + family can still be a success!
    Thank you, it is a very time consuming combo, but I wouldn't have it any other way. We did it as a family activity over xmas and everyone had a great time. We might do something similar again in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonahmaul View Post
    Congratulations on the good news Sureshot. Welcome to the clan, we meet on Tuesdays and Fridays. Three knocks, two bangs, and another three knocks will get you in!

The fortress looks fantastic and I love all the in-game shots. Apparently I didn't comment on your previous post so apologies. The Vindicator looks fantastic.
    No worries but good to clear up the passcode, I keep banging and knocking, but doing the three two three has eluded me. Just for you, here is her effort with the same vindicator.

Quote Originally Posted by juicytomatoes View Post
    Congratulations! No apologies needed there, that is far more important than updating stuff on a forum. Lovely lovely pics of some really well-painted models. Looking forward to seeing your 2014 painting when you settle into to married life with the missus
    I have some good models for the new year courtesy of the red man at xmas, and hope to show you all my work soon.

Congratulations!

Those are some sweet battlefield pictures.
    The difference between my photos and hers is always remarkable. I have terrible shakes and not a good eye for photos (my partner can't figure it out as she says I have a real good eye for unique and styled conversions and painting, but bugger all for photos). I am very happy to see these shots though.

Here is one last shot she did for all of you after being very flattered by your kind words. Enjoy.

Congratulations on the marriage man!
    You guys make a great team with your painting and her photography.
    I love the one of the Fortress of Redemption that you've also put on your opening post.
    The last one is also super cool, albeit a bit heavy on the editing. I used to try to take army shots and unit shots in scenery with interesting backgrounds and stuff. This is just the encouragement I need to try my hands at that stuff again.
    Excellent conversions too. The CSM on the front of the Vindicator is brilliant.
    I'm most definitely going to go through all those graphs and data now that I realize I didn't have your log subscribe so have missed most of it
    Check out the Tale of Board Game Painters in the group project logs!

All my miniature painting in one combined log - index in first post - 40K CSM, Fantasy O&G, Boardgames and other random stuff

I went to college to learn photoshop, so I know how time consuming it is to make this. Seeing as I am a lazy git I never bother myself. Seeing this, I can't help but be jealous. Maybe I should get back on the horse myself.

Congratulations man! A wife willing to support the hobby too, even better it's good to see some updates from you. That fortress looks superb in the action shots. Looking forward to seeing your new stuff.
    My random painting log: HereBeDragons' Paintathon

Break even Painting target 2012: 212 models. Number complete: 212 !!!!!!!!
    Break even painting target 2013: 268 models. Number complete: 59
    Break even painting target 2014: 325 models. Number complete: 175
    Break even painting target 2015: 836 models. Number complete: 156
    Break even painting target 2016: 238 models. Number complete: 9

Librarian

Epic...that's the word.

cheers
    Tim
    ' Only In Death Does Duty End'

Visit my project log here http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132142
    Witch hunters, Death Guard, Orcs and Goblins, Space Orks, Vampire counts, Renegades and more

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Solun Decius View Post
    Congratulations on the marriage man!
    You guys make a great team with your painting and her photography.
    I love the one of the Fortress of Redemption that you've also put on your opening post.
    The last one is also super cool, albeit a bit heavy on the editing. I used to try to take army shots and unit shots in scenery with interesting backgrounds and stuff. This is just the encouragement I need to try my hands at that stuff again.
    Excellent conversions too. The CSM on the front of the Vindicator is brilliant.
    I'm most definitely going to go through all those graphs and data now that I realize I didn't have your log subscribe so have missed most of it
    Thanks, the vindicator was inspired really by the siege of terra. I figured the TS's would have last used their siege tanks either there or at the fang. And it was nice to think that one of the defenders was tied to the front of the vindicator and maybe his remains were caught in the rubric...

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel36 View Post
    I went to college to learn photoshop, so I know how time consuming it is to make this. Seeing as I am a lazy git I never bother myself. Seeing this, I can't help but be jealous. Maybe I should get back on the horse myself.
    Thanks, she spends a lot of time with PS but hasn't recently been so excited to do more model shots (hehe). It is a great shot though and I joked about getting it turned into a poster.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeDragons View Post
    Congratulations man! A wife willing to support the hobby too, even better it's good to see some updates from you. That fortress looks superb in the action shots. Looking forward to seeing your new stuff.
    Fortress really came together well. The toughy was getting the whole board to compliment and match. It's seen a few games now and there is enough pieces to vary each game.

Quote Originally Posted by biginbelgium View Post
    Epic...that's the word.

cheers
    Tim
    Epic... Must get on and paint some! But thank you.

So its been a long while, and that is just not good! So what have I been painting recently. Well there has been a few things, but getting the camera off the other half is a pain!

A huge amount of time has been spent on this lovely Christmas gift...

Though I have done more work on the base after looking at this photo.

As ever, thank you for the comments and for looking.
    Last edited by Sureshot05; 14-04-2014 at 14:53.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast