Page 3 of 84 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Release schedule rumors

Re: Release schedule rumors

What year did the last Bretonnian army book come out in, anyway? 10 years ago? I've been thinking about getting back into Warhammer Fantasy and it burns me that the army I'd like to play the most is also an army with one of the oldest army books out there with no replacement anywhere in sight.

Don't feel too burned. Even though the Bret book is out of date there are still a ton of players who do very well with them. Still, I would love to see them get a new book and some new models.

Sure, it's alright, but there's definite room for improvement. God knows I'm feeling pretty jealous that the Empire got knights riding on demigryphs. It'd be nice if Bretonnians got an unusual ground mount, too. Maybe dire lions? Given that our king is the "lionheart" it'd be great if there was more of a lion theme to the Bretonnian army, and lion companions do make sense if you look at medieval literature. There's Yvain, the Knight with the Lion (the title's pretty self-explanitory), The Faerie Queene, in which Una is protected by a lion, and of course Aslan in The Chronicles of Narnia. Friendly lions helping out heroes and ladies occurs often enough in chivalric romance that I think GW would have a basis for taking the next step and having knights mounted on a larger lion, like a dire lion, or a beast related to white lions.

But aside from that wacky wish, it'd be nice to see a bit more variety in units, like maybe including knights on foot. Also, it makes no sense to me that Grail Knights are near godlike in comparison to regular Knights of the Realm, but there's little difference between a Bretonnian Lord with the Grail Virtue and the Knight's Virtue. A Grail Knight Lord should be damn near supernatural in comparison to a normal human general, with stats far above the norm, and should be as superior to a standard human general as the regular Grail Knight is to the Knight of the Realm.

Quote Originally Posted by The Emperor View Post
    What year did the last Bretonnian army book come out in, anyway? 10 years ago? I've been thinking about getting back into Warhammer Fantasy and it burns me that the army I'd like to play the most is also an army with one of the oldest army books out there with no replacement anywhere in sight.
    not one of the oldest. The oldest. and it was february 2004 i believe, the year before woodies.
    There's cheese out there friends. Super Sizzler Cheese toast with grilled Haloumi on top, and the wood elf army book is lactose intolerant.

Wow, the oldest? Really?!? And yet despite that there's no new army book anywhere in sight? *sigh*

Yup. But thats the way GW work. Sometimes we just have to be patient and stick it out for a decent update. Gotta have faith itll be worth it at least for a few months after the eventual update.
    There's cheese out there friends. Super Sizzler Cheese toast with grilled Haloumi on top, and the wood elf army book is lactose intolerant.

According to the Wiki and its ISBN code the Bretonnian armybook was released in 2003.
    I guess we can have a aniversary party soon
    Bretonnians ARE NOT a pure Knightly army.
    Half the army choices consist out of Peasants and Damsels.
    'Pride cometh before a choppa in the face'

I'm a bret player and I must say, I'm pretty impressed with how well the army plays in 8th. Sure it's not OP, but it's definitely not the worst either. I fear what or how GW would change the brets. I almost would rather GW just a rules update to bring in line with 8th (ex. men at arms with shields and halberds) and maybe a few new minis and leave the brets alone if it would mean a quicker turnaround.

On the rumor note, what has happened to rumors? I haven't read anything new in 2 months. The mods could consider shutting down this entire section since all posts related to rumors are now not even talking about rumors!

Quote Originally Posted by LeBeauMort View Post
    Can someone please explain to me why they are re-doing books like the Deamons and Lizardmen etc when the Wood Elves and Bretonnian players are playing with 6th edition books? Is it just about sales? My understanding is the Ogres and Tomb Kings were never that popular but since they were redone they have sold well. I just don't get it...I have the misfortune of also playing Wood Elves and Bretonnians as my two armies. I know they can still be used with 8th and all that but it just makes me frustrated.
    From what I can tell, High elves and Lizardmen are coming up because they need their magic phase rebalanced. First we saw the books that didn't use Magic normally brought into line (Ogres, Tomb Kings) and now the relatively overpowered magic users (Slaan, high elves, Teclis) are being looked at. As for Daemons, they sell well, and as a dual system army, they get a lot of mileage out of the models. If they are going to update it for one system, there is no reason not to do it for both. And from the sounds of it, Daemons will be getting more chariots, Nurgle flying Cav, and plastic Greater Daemons.
    "As I've always said, Wes is wise." - Scryer in the Darkness
    "Wes, if you keep this up you'll need to change your name to MajorWiseJanson." - Azzy
    "Many boffins died to bring us this information." - Forgeworld Announcement E-mail
    "Rest assured, Servitor 13 has your best interests at heart. Now let's fire up the lascannons." - GW changes their web privacy policy.

@tankrothchild, there have been plenty of rumours just none for Fantasy really. After the Warriors of Chaos splash update with new rules and models GW has been focussing on the Hobbit and Warhammer 40k(Dark Angels...pretty....)
    Bretonnians ARE NOT a pure Knightly army.
    Half the army choices consist out of Peasants and Damsels.
    'Pride cometh before a choppa in the face'

Quote Originally Posted by MajorWesJanson View Post
    From what I can tell, High elves and Lizardmen are coming up because they need their magic phase rebalanced. First we saw the books that didn't use Magic normally brought into line (Ogres, Tomb Kings) and now the relatively overpowered magic users (Slaan, high elves, Teclis) are being looked at. As for Daemons, they sell well, and as a dual system army, they get a lot of mileage out of the models. If they are going to update it for one system, there is no reason not to do it for both. And from the sounds of it, Daemons will be getting more chariots, Nurgle flying Cav, and plastic Greater Daemons.
    Given this logic, which I agree with, Dark Elves will be getting a new book in short order as well...early 2014? They have a couple of magic items that make their magic phase broken.

Hopefully 2014 will bring new Dark Elves, Dwarves and Wood Elves. Brets could use a new book, but of these 4 armies they actually have the most balanced and "average powered" book among them.

When I played Daemons at a tournament I got totally butchered by Bretonnia. For me an armybook have never been the issue. A good general can make the most of an old book. But the outdated miniatures are something that I dont like.

Quote Originally Posted by Artinam View Post
    @tankrothchild, there have been plenty of rumours just none for Fantasy really. After the Warriors of Chaos splash update with new rules and models GW has been focussing on the Hobbit and Warhammer 40k(Dark Angels...pretty....)
    Yeah, I don't really follow 40k or Lotr stuff. At least we can agree no rumors for fantasy have dropped in a while.

It is a shame to see the Bretonnians getting no love for such a long time. GW has spread themselves way too thin, did Dark Angels, Blood Angels, and Space Wolves really need their own codexes? I sure as hell don't think those 3 should have ever gotten a codex to begin with, they are just Space Marines

Release schedule rumors

True, but all 3 probably outsell bretonnians . Truly though, I do find it interesting that GW doesn't release armies faster, the simplest rule of running a business is that it's always cheaper and easier to keep your customers than try to find new ones. I'm sure they make back more money than they spend with every new release, why not hire more designers/sculptors/painters/etc. and double their release pace. Their profits might not be as ridiculously maximized, but I bet they'd raise them significantly anyway.
    "Revenge is a dish best served by Uma Thurman"

Well, for the last few years, they have been selling steadily fewer minis each year. In that kind of enviroment, it's not surprising that they are a bit dubious of a drastic increase in releases. That being said, the tempo has been markedly reduced these last years (down from around 3 army books per year to 2), and that's probably far too low with ~15 armies.
    Painting Log - Circle Orboros - Warpwolves FTW!
    Terrain Log - Circle Orboros themed terrain for Hordes

Models Aquired / Painted
    2014: 26 / 14

My take on the rumors are as follows.

January has already been virtually confirmed to be Dark angels.. February I'm iffy about it being Demons because of the fact that they are already releasing a 40k book in january and since deamons are a dual system army, it wouldn't make much sense to promote basically two 40k books back to back.

I've heard that high elves were a march/april army, with Dark Elves being not to far behind them, with Lizzys being latter half of 2013. Theory being that this is the year that they are toning back the "broken magic phase" armies in order of how broken they are to the magic phase. High elves first due to teclis and his shenanigans, then Dark elves with their "how much dice in the power pool do I have? Let's use it on this spell!" then lastly lizards with their free dice slaan (who costs a crap ton of points).

I don't believe the WOC and DOC rumors due to the fact that they were already promised with new books only to come out with these little WD updates. I'm defiantly taking the list with a grain of salt tho til someone like Harry drops pie crumbs to more rumors.

Quote Originally Posted by Avian View Post
    Well, for the last few years, they have been selling steadily fewer minis each year. In that kind of environment, it's not surprising that they are a bit dubious of a drastic increase in releases.
    And yet GW has trouble correlating this to the steadily increasing prices that they impose each year?

No woodies then

I hope GW understands that if I don't get a wood elf book in 3 years, I will quit all GW related games and run around in the nearest games workshop store telling all the customers to go play a Privateer Press game.

The new AoW game looks pretty cool, Warthrone I think it's called. I will be giving that a try for sure, because even with much less staff and resources they are releasing new models faster than GW. And they are a company that actually listens to it's customers. You can go on their forum and ask when they are going to start realeasing models for an army, and they will tell you.

If GW has a good reason for only updating 6 out of the 15 armies that one can choose from. Why don't they just tell us?

Release schedule rumors

Quote Originally Posted by Why View Post
    No woodies then

I hope GW understands that if I don't get a wood elf book in 3 years, I will quit all GW related games and run around in the nearest games workshop store telling all the customers to go play a Privateer Press game.

The new AoW game looks pretty cool, Warthrone I think it's called. I will be giving that a try for sure, because even with much less staff and resources they are releasing new models faster than GW. And they are a company that actually listens to it's customers. You can go on their forum and ask when they are going to start realeasing models for an army, and they will tell you.

If GW has a good reason for only updating 6 out of the 15 armies that one can choose from. Why don't they just tell us?
    AoW really does not release minis faster than gw. Thats totally untrue! Why do people claim that???

Page 3 of 84 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast