Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: A Holy Work – The Three Hives Rebellion

Re: A Holy Work – The Three Hives Rebellion

A great start to the PLOG. I love the idea that it's a story that's already happened and we're being told it after the fact and from several view points. I really like the helmet-cam pictures too, adds a real nice extra layer to the stories. I do have a couple of points though:

1. Can you paint anything other than bone?! Obviously this is a jest as I know full well you can but I challenge you to paint a colourful army next. I vote Bretonnians!

2. Get toothbrush, tip in white paint, flick over BFG bases

3. Drill out the bolters man, that's just pure lazy and they look so much better if you drill them out!
    My Various Painting Projects, just added Malifaux Dr Dufresne and a combat hippo!
    <

Veteran Sergeant

Interesting use of the red right arm. Reminds me of the Dusk Raiders.
    Your bone colour is pretty nice too, and love the markings.

gain, the fluff is great, really puts a sense of mystery into these bad boys
    <

Great going so far man, keep it up
    <

Cheers for all your comments guys, really good to know that this stuff is going down well. I spent last night basing all the remaining infantry and getting them ready for undercoating - hopefully I can get the last 4 Tactical and a Razorback undercoated tomorrow and get them sorted over the next few days. I also want to have some more fun with the fluff pictures, see what else I can do with those.

Have to admit, I'm a little disappointed with the pics of the finished Astartes, the red looks great but the light has washed out the bone completely. Need to take another swing at those pics I think.

@ Lord Dan - always happy to be the exception I think the light has removed most of the colour from the bone, its a lot darker and more shaded IRL. And yes, I am heartily sick of painting bone. But I can't stop, its like a disease. No bone in my next army though. I promise. Most of the fluff and slang is made up on the fly lol, but it's good to know it works. Now I have images of Texans in spppaaaaccceeee.

@ PrimeMinisterSinister - cheers mate, glad you like it. I think it makes them stand out nicely. Plenty more to come once I can hammer out a few Rhinos and Razorbacks.

@ Beowulf3112 - you'll enjoy this plog then, fluff out the wazoo

@ Psykomamba - ah thanks bud, too kind.

@ Eltanko - thanks for the sub mate, means a lot. Glad to hear you like the fluff, I love writing it but always worry its too much or not to everyones taste.

@ Jonahmaul - cheers homme I'm having fun with the fluff and the pic-cap things, all stemmed from messing about on my phone taking pics of Sarah and Nate. And in answer to your queries - 1) No I can't. Help me please. Erm, my next army is likely to be a small Necron force - does dark iron, electric blue and ceramic white count as colourful? 2) Blaaaaahhhh. Maybe. I was just impressed with how much my coasters and placemats resemble deep space... 3) Yeah I know, I know. All those years of telling kids in GW to drill bolters and I totally forget as soon as I do my own army. I suck. I'll drill em out at some point, honest.

@ Drazhk - the bone looks a lot better than that, trust me. I'll try and get some better pics. The red arm was jointly inspired by the Dusk Raiders and a Nick Cave track, which has become the unofficial motto of the Iron Talons. Again, glad you like the fluff

@ Hazmiter - I intend to mate, thanks for the kind words

Right, really should do some work now - will update soon with some fluff/wip pics and hopefully with some more completed units. Only 4 more Tactical to go and I can paint something fun - only question is what? Praetor, Chaplain, the Assail or the Storm-born? Decisions decisions...

Cheers all
    Jack
    <

Just occurred to me that this scheme is very similar to the unification wars Dusk raiders, was this intentional?
    Sheep's laying a log For all things Imperial
    The Ammobunker Forums with humour
    Sheep's Sons of Horus For all things 30k
    Sheep does Adeptus Mechanicus Latest project

Forlorn Hope, my blog
    <

So how do you do your bleached bone? Undercoat dark grey? And build up from there, or white basecoat?
    Can't wait to see some more of these slighted sons of the emperor
    <

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post

@ Jonahmaul - cheers homme I'm having fun with the fluff and the pic-cap things, all stemmed from messing about on my phone taking pics of Sarah and Nate. And in answer to your queries - 1) No I can't. Help me please. Erm, my next army is likely to be a small Necron force - does dark iron, electric blue and ceramic white count as colourful? 2) Blaaaaahhhh. Maybe. I was just impressed with how much my coasters and placemats resemble deep space... 3) Yeah I know, I know. All those years of telling kids in GW to drill bolters and I totally forget as soon as I do my own army. I suck. I'll drill em out at some point, honest.
    1. It would, if 'Ceramic White' wasn't just another way of saying 'bone coloured' We know your game JackDaw!

2. If you take the coasters with you everywhere fair enough! It's just personal preference, there's nothing wrong with plain back, I just think they look cool with the white spots. Makes me want to dig out my Eldar fleet and give them some love!

3. Yes, shameful!
    My Various Painting Projects, just added Malifaux Dr Dufresne and a combat hippo!
    <

Colourful......
    Harlequins warband!!!!!!!!!!!!
    <

Veteran Sergeant

@ Drazhk - the bone looks a lot better than that, trust me. I'll try and get some better pics. The red arm was jointly inspired by the Dusk Raiders and a Nick Cave track, which has become the unofficial motto of the Iron Talons. Again, glad you like the fluff
    Red right hand, by any chance? Great track, I must say. Videoclip attached, less so.. I'm voting Preator next
    <

Commander PrimeMinisterSinister's Avatar

If these guys are inspired by Nick Cave then this won't end well for anyone. I love the fluff, I've always tried to attach a little here and there to the models in my plog, and I appreciate it when other people do too. I am looking forward to this. I find standoffish marines so interesting.
    <

Evening everyone, and thanks for your continued interest in this plog and your kind words. Got a few wip pics for you and a small fluff piece as well, nothing too major while I gear up for the final push on the Tactical side of the army. Need to get this lot undercoated on the weekend;

These chaps are the last 4 Astartes from Tactical Blade Rashan, consisting of the Veteran, 2 bolter armed Astartes and the final brother who is about to enter the Chaplaincy, hence his slightly more ornate armour. Crazy mishmash of pieces there including FW Red Scorpions and Mk IV armour, Space Wolf and Blood Angel bits. There's also a couple of Dark Angel bits in there. Basically, I pour a load of glue into a bag of random Marine pieces and see what sticks together...

And to go with the 26 Tactical Astartes, a few transports:

One Rhino is already painted and varnished, so I've got one more Rhino to paint and the Razorback above - the issue is I hate painting tanks. Ah well. As a White Scar successor, every squad needs a transport so I don't have much choice - damn me and my living by fluff. I do like the look of the Razorback though, for me the FW turrets are so much better than the GW ones and the Heavy Bolter one was pretty easy to convert into twin assault cannons. Hopefully this will help keep my enthusiasm for painting it up.

@ Sheep - I was inspired by the Dusk Raider scheme because it looks frakking awesome - but there's no fluff link to them, only to the Scars.

@ Hazmiter
    - Its pretty simple mate, same way as I paint the bone on my Druchii - basecoat of Dheneb Stone, thin wash of Devlan Mud, first highlight with Dheneb, second with 50/50 mix of Dheneb and white, final edge highlight of white and then a thin Devlan wash followed by a thin Badab wash. And a Harlequin warband would drive me crazy, although I did have a temptation to do a troupe all in ghostly whites, blues and greens....

@ Jonahmaul - No bone on the Necrons, promise. Ceramic white will be hard enough. And I drilled these barrels just for you sweetcheeks

@ Drazhk - That would be the one I am thinking I need to do a character after this Tactical section, but I'm still mulling over putting a helmet on the Praetor. I do have a Librarian and Chaplain to paint....

@ PrimeMinisterSinister
    - My fluff rarely ends well for anyone I've seen the fluff in your plog mate, its really good as well, like you I also appreciate people who make the effort to do that kinda thing. Hope you enjoy the rest of the army.

So, that's it for now guys, I have got 2 other finished Tactical Blades ready for pics so I'll try and get those up soon - might do a single combined post for all the transports as the fluff is pretty much the same for all of them.

Cheers all
    Jack
    <

Escalation - Stemming the tide.

"Someone told us the Astartes were here. Can't tell you if that was true, but what I can tell you is that things got real quiet round 'End 'Port real quick. We went from crapping ourselves at every raid siren to routine patrols in the habs like nothing had happened. The prop-lit mags and pic-shows were full of tales of the Holy Astartes saving kiddies, castigating the Secessionists, all that stuff. The habbers lapped it up, but the vets, those Malaz guys - some of them had been up-country and claimed to have seen the Astartes in action. The things they told us didn't sound like any prop-lit I'd seen. Sometimes it was hard to know if the Malaz boys even thought the Astartes were on our side."

Magistratum Officer Jiraz Tomei, Journeys End Starport East-19 Precinct. Excerpt from post-event Inquisitorial Debrief, Aren Prime Secession.

***Begin Record

Within two weeks of the Astartes' deployment planetside, the southern continent of Aren Prime had been pacified by the combined but not co-operative military actions of both the Iron Talons and the 131st Malaz Heavy Infantry. While the guard secured Journeys' End Starport and the surrounding habitation and goods-processing districts, the Astartes appeared to concentrate on reclaiming several outlying manufactoria and supply districts adjacent to the continent and ocean spanning mega-transport route known as the Namas Highway. These interdictions effectively removed all semblance of Secessionist control from areas designated as an immediate threat to Imperial holdings on Aren Prime and ensured that the Starport remained firmly under the aegis of the Emperor's faithful. Attempts to co-ordinate military efforts with the Talons came to nothing as the Astartes embarked on a lightning fast series of murderous attacks on Secessionist supply lines and command nodes. The military dogma and doctrines of the Talons clearly owed a great debt to their Primogenitors, the White Scars, as swift-moving Rhino and Razorback mounted Tactical Blades savaged the Secessionist forces with little reprisal in return. Fragments of Iron Talon combat records recovered from communication traps installed by Inquisitorial agents and translated from the obscure combant-cant used by the Astartes seemed to indicate that this war was approached with something less than the righteous fervour that one would expect from the Angels of Death. It was not until the shocking events of Reclamation Action 80/db-3 (ref The Broken Angel) that Imperial observers would see the Talons ire come to the fore and the escalation of their presence on Aren Prime, an series of increasingly brutal compliance actions that started at the Stane Service Township clash (ref Reclamation Action 82/db-3) and ended with the first major Astartes military action at The Cut (ref Reclamation Action 214/sh-6).

*** End record

Secessionist emplaced observation posts capture footage of Edge fireteams advancing under supporting fire from Astartes armour elements
    <

You my friend have inspired me to finish off my blood angels
    Truely great work and the fluff even more so (you should write a mini series
    <

One of the things I enjoy about your blogs is spotting the references to things I have read, I think we have similar taste in books. The Malazan series is my unparalleled favourite, and I can see a Lies of Locke Lamora (not great) reference and Kiss the Blade is an Affront ship I think. Good stuff.
    <

Commander PrimeMinisterSinister's Avatar

They're getting more involved and more tenacious. What could be the matter?
    <

@ Jonahmaul - No bone on the Necrons, promise. Ceramic white will be hard enough. And I drilled these barrels just for you sweetcheeks
    Well done petal! I know what you mean about painting tanks because I share the hatred! At least you found a use for liquid green stuff though!
    <

I was actually thinking on when you where going to start your 40k plog the other day and lookie here, it`s well under way

Subbed

R
    I'm on Facebook and I've got a blog as bigbossredskullz.

Team Anarchy, a norwegian gaming community.
    <

Evening everyone, hope things are good.

Just a small update from me tonight - the last 4 Tactical are undercoated and the bone plate well on its way to be completed, just waiting for the Devlan wash to dry befire the final Badab wash. The Rhino and Razorback are also undercoated, waiting for me to man up and get them started. Sigh. In other news, Praetor Corvin Varras has donned his war-helm, joining his brothers in hiding his shame. For now at least.

@ Hazmiter - glad to hear it mate, always gives me a warm glow to know someone else has been inspired by me. And I will be submitting some stuff to Black Library this year so fingers crossed.

@ Jozga
    - you've hit all those references on the head fella, and Excession is probably my favourite Banks Culture novel. Inversions a close second.

@ PrimeMinisterSinister
    - ah,not too long till you find out mate. Next fluff piece probably.

@ Jonahmaul - painting tanks sucks, simple as. Also have to do a Land Raider and a Darktalon conversion. Bleh. And liquid greenstuff is amazing mate, so many uses. Get some and get on it.

@ Red Skullz - great to see you along for the ride mate

So, just working on those last Tactical this weekend, which will give me a core of 26 Tactical for the army along with 2 Rhinos and a Razorback. Not a bad start and once this lot is sorted I get to paint some fun stuff.....

Cheers all
    Jack
    <

Veteran Sergeant

So, he'll be having a helm afterall? Cool, fits in better with the fluff you created.
    <

Escalation - A broken blade can still cut

*** Begin record

Broken Edge, Tactical Blade Meanas
    During the Crusade against the Blackmaw xeno-kind, the Iron Talons were deployed in Chapter strength across a sector-wide warfront. Whilst Chapter-scale deployment of the Astartes may seem an overly agressive move, the Iron Talons have never been a large Chapter and lack the volume of battle-brothers of other Astartes. Numbering somewhere in the region of 700 to 800 Astartes, the newly appointed Chapter Master Sevrin Kallas deemed it appropriate to call together all 7 Blades of the Talons and deploy in force to prosecute the subjugation of the Blackmaw ork clans. Almost a full decade of warfare, coupled with the close-range combat doctrine inherited from the Founding Scars, resulted in the Iron Talons suffering high casualties and bringing themselves almost to the point of Chapter-death. The results of this can be seen most prominently in the under-strength Tactical Blade Meanas, referred to as a Broken Edge. Consisting of the five surviving Tactical Astartes from Meanas, they have been joined by the sole survivor of the 5th Blades fourth Tactical unit and form an ad-hoc fighting unit used primarily to support the advances of the Assault Blades.

Led by Veteran Jarak, the Broken Edge normally deploy via Razorback armoured transport as fire-support for the swift moving Assault Blades, securing objectives after they have been cleansed by their brethren. This close association with the Assault Blades has coloured the combat actions of Meanas and they are often to found engaging the enemy in close range firefights and advancing into areas of intense combat. An almost fatalistic attitude seems to colour the orders and decisions made by Jarak, almost as though he and his brothers seek to join their fallen brethren and see Meanas reunited once again. This has not gone unnoticed and the Broken Edge often find themselves censured by Praetor Varras for their oft-impetuous and foolhardy exploits. Second of the Talons squads deployed to Aren Prime planetside, Meanas took it upon themselves to harry and harass Secessionist relief columns and comms-stations. While these actions were within standard Talon combat doctrine, they were not ratified by Praetor Varras and only their unparalleled success saved Jarak and Meanas from further censure and punishment.

The four standard Tactical Astartes of Meanas can be seen here in the now-standard mix of armour marks and plate sections. After the bitter drawn out conflict of the Blackmaw Subjugation, it was rare for an Astartes to wear a set of power armour consisting of plates from a single mark and these Astartes bear witness to that truth. Several pieces of Mk IV and Mk VII plate can be seen above, along with reconditioned sections of Mk VI and Mk VII plate. Each brother bears the traditional red right arm and bone plate of the Iron Talons, along with the company marking of the 5th Blade displayed on the left kneepad. Again, the Talons preference for non-Codex squad markings and the display of kill-tokens and fetishes is in evidence, with each brother bearing xenos tusks and bone sections in triumph. It was in part this savage appearance that went some way towards explaining the less-than-enamoured attitude displayed towards the Iron Talons by Imperial persons on Aren Prime, who by all accounts were expecting a Chapter more in the vein of the Argent Crucifers or vaunted Ultramarines.

Iskar Jarak, Veteran of Tactical Blade Meanas, perhaps comes closest to the biased ideal of an Astartes that Imperial forces were expecting, bearing as he does several relics of an Ecclesiastical nature. Mounted atop the power plant for his reconditioned mix of Mk VII plate is a simple devotional icon taken from the altar of the Demoscien Cathedral on Praxis 9, site of the fall of the majority of Tactical Blade Meanas, while a ragged section of tapestry from the same Cathedral is draped across the rear of the power plant. While some might think that Jarak does this to honour and venerate the God-Emperor, the truth is far more pragmatic - they are marks of shame, borne by Jarak in recognition of the fall of his brothers and a constant reminder of their fate. This morbid celebration of his brothers death is one of the many reasons that Destriant Borusa keeps a close eye upon Jarak and Meanas, ensuring that their melancholic nature does not turn into outright despair. Armed with a rugged Godwyn pattern bolter and straight form power sword, Jarak is an imposing warrior and easily the equal of many other champions of xeno-breeds and traitors alike and his tactical acumen ensured that the Broken Edge became a hated and feared force on Aren Prime, renowned and reviled in equal measure by the Secessionists for their uncompromising and brutal nature as well as the speed and fluidity of their attacks.

The final member of Meanas is rarely spoken of. Known only as the Penitent, this Astartes has been stripped of all honour and identification markings and is forbidden from bearing the winged talons of the Chapters symbol, instead bearing only a scroll detailing his trangressions inked in his own blood. This is the gravest punishment that the Destriants and Praetors of the Talons can mete out, further compounded by the actions of the Chapters Librarians who mind-scrub the brother to ensure that even he cannot remember his name, only the dolorous deed that has earned him this punishment. Once marked in this way and armed only with a bolter and combat blade, the Astartes is expected to find his end in battle in order to atone for his sins - the irony is that the mere existence of the Astartes ensures that this end is hard to find. During the Aren Prime intervention, the remnants of this particular Penitent were recovered from the site of the final clash with Secessionist forces, his search for redemption finally achieved.

*** End record
    <

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast