Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: A Holy Work – The Three Hives Rebellion

Commander PrimeMinisterSinister's Avatar

Re: A Holy Work – The Three Hives Rebellion

The Penitent -- whoa -- dark. I love the new fluff and the new marines. Makes me want to work on mine more.
    <

Very nice, very very nice indeed
    The penitent sounds like he did something quite bad, especially to suffer the fate that is worse than death.
    Makes me feel sorry for him
    <

Veteran Sergeant

very nice and in-depth look into your chapter. Love the idea of the penitent.
    They're a morbid bunch, aren't they?
    <

Morning everyone, thanks for the continued kind words and interest in my little Chapter.

Some progress to report, the last 4 Tactical's bone plate is all done and dusted - fingers crossed I can get the majority of the remaining work done this evening. No progress on the tanks but my Praetor has gone through another change, making this the 5th time he's been converted. 5th and final hopefully. Sneak preview pics to come later.

@ PrimeMinisterSinister - glad to hear you like the Astartes and the fluff mate. The Penitent was one of those random ideas that came about from thinking about what happens when something goes wrong for the Astartes - I don't really see them as the forgive and forget kind of warriors. Plus everyone likes Slayers.

@ Hazmiter - yeah it's pretty much the worse punishment I could think of for an Astartes, especially one from a Chapter that encourages kill-tokens and trophies - knowing you've done something that wrong that you've had all memory of yourself scrubbed must be torment for an Astartes. Don't feel sorry for him though, he deserved it.

@ Drazhk - morbid maybe, but I think just more inclined to neither forget or forgive errors in judgement - one of my favourite things from Prospero Burns (aside from it making the Wolves cool again and not just silly Vikings in spaaace) was the saying "I recognise my failing and will learn from it" - the Talons just take this a step further with "I recognise my failing and will learn from it, but will never forgive myself for it".

So that's pretty much it from me at the moment - day off today but plenty to sort out while the wife has taken the wee man out for the morning. Will catch you all later tonight folks.

Cheers
    Jack
    <

Arrivals - the Lords of War walk amongst us

"Was it an error in judgement to summon the Astartes? No. This war needed to be prosecuted swiftly and brutally as an example to those other planets and sub-systs harbouring similar pretensions towards independence. My colleagues may have wished for a more amenable Chapter, one more suited to the propaganda machines tastes, but for my own purposes, the Talons would more than suffice."
    Excerpt from personal recordings, post-investigation reports made by Inquisitor Ishmael Constans, Ordo Hereticus.

"So apparently some Astartes commander is here. What's your frakking point? Is he gonna suddenly appear at tac-briefs, bathed in the light of the Emperors holy ****? Is he single handedly gonna protect every low-grade habber we have flocking here? Is this frakking hero gonna save my men? No, because they're already frakking dead. I'll tell you what this hero will do - he'll **** off up north with the rest of his frakking Astartes in secret and all we'll see is the bodies left behind."
    Gunnery Sergeant Rand Lasko, 4th Platoon 131st Malaz Heavy Infantry. Comments made typical of anti-Astartes feeling prevalent amongst Imperial forces.

*** Begin Image Record

Inquisitorial spy-drones seeded in the Raseen Commercia District capture footage of assumed Astartes command elements for the first time

Closer image of Astartes command elements captured by spy-drone. Initial visual clue recognition and Astartes heraldry pattern analysis tentatively identify the central figure (ref Ast-[2]) as a company level commander equivalent to Captain in Codex Astartes designation. Ast-[2] temporarily assigned identification appellation of Praetor in line with known Iron Talons Chapter organisation.

Further image captures and identification efforts hampered by destruction of Inquisitorial spy-drone by Astartes pictured far left (ref Ast-[1]).

*** End Image Record
    <

Not a fan of Space Marines normally, but you might be converting me. Good stuff so far.
    <

Excellent work, love the fluff and the intrigue being generated in the PLOG already. The writing on pentinent's scroll looks black though, shouldn't it be red it it's blood?! Love the spy cam shots and the scenery being built to tie in with them, that's a great idea. Go do a Dark Elf shrine for the House of Chains too.....
    My Various Painting Projects, just added Malifaux Dr Dufresne and a combat hippo!
    <

Brother Sergeant ChadXHollywood's Avatar

Well well well JD... You really have come out all guns and amazeballs blazing.

Fantastic fluff and has really made me rethink and get on doing mine again...

This right arm thing is catching though isn't it!!!

Props on the little nod to the Argent Crucifiers. That chapter is something I cant wait to read more about.

Keep it up you little tyke.

Subbed
    <

Afternoon gents

@ Aku-chan - means a lot that you popped over and checked thine one out mate, I'll try and keep you interested for as long as possible

@ Jonahmaul - yeah I only decided to make it written in his blood as I was writing the fluff. Using the magic of fluff-handwavium, I'd say that enhanced as Astartes blood dries quicker and clots harder than human blood, it also dries darker.... I've had those bits of scenery knocking around for a while now to be fair, its nice ot get some use out of them. And DE wise, I have got one of the old FW Malus statuettes I was thinking of making into a shrine terrain piece...

@ ChadXHollywood - amazeballs is how I roll playa Good to hear the fluffs inspired you - get on and get some more of your Son's done. Doing the arms a different colour is a nice easy way to break up a mini a bit, I think it always looks good on Astartes.

Sadly no painting progress to report, however the Talons are in action tonight - standing with their brothers of the Argent Crucifers against the turncloak Word Bearers and foul Nurgle Daemons. Should be a good game - I'll try and get some pics of everything as we go along.

Cheers all
    <

Yay! Thanks for the nod JD. The Argent Crucifers were proud to stand shoulder to shoulder with the Iron Talons tonight against the vile hordes of Chaos!
    <

I've just gone through and re-read the whole Plog, and I must say, DAMN YOU JACK DAW! I'm now gonna have to produce a Plog for the Brother-knights of the Argent Crucifers.

The only problem there is, how the hell do I follow this badboy? Sigh.
    <

Hot damn, JackDaw does 40k fluffy-plog-awesomeness! Sweet! Looking good already, and the fluff is just as amazing as expected.

Cheers,
    BT
    <

Maclorean, all I have to say is try, there is nothing else.
    Hell, I reckon you can do it, so do it.

Jack daw, I want moar!!!!!!!
    (also on side note, I'm almost finished with my brotherhoods deathcompany)
    Can't wait for the next instalment dude.
    <

Evening everyone

Some progress to report, although not much as some beer was consumed over the last few days...I also got distracted with making a few tweaks to a couple of the Assault marines, changing a few chainswords and arms around, and reconverting the sgt. This was mainly because his performance in-game has been shocking recently and I thought a more dynamic pose would inspire him to better things. Veteran Soren Kibre now looks the part I think;

And in terms of the last few Tactical, its only the metalwork and details needing doing:

@ Macloren - my pleasure mate It was a great game, absolute carnage as always. The Argent Crucifers definitely need their own plog - get on it!

@ BeatTheBeat - cheers buddy, good to see you here as well Glad the fluff is to your liking, I was a bit unsure about how to do it all if I'm honest. Kinda enjoying this weird post-review style though.

@ Hazmiter - there's more coming soon mate, be patient Get some pics of your Blood Angels up as well.

That's it for tonight folks, aside from a small something coming up......

Cheers all
    Jack
    <

Armoured wrath - the war machines of the Astartes wake

"Secessionist armour had us pinned down in the hab units while their ground forces moved in to circle us. Maybe a half-dozen light tanks, couple of self-propelled artillery pieces that looked nothing I'd even seen before. Those self-prop frakkers were the issue, once they wiped Kessler and his team we were frak outta luck and anti-armour gear. Vulture support was apparently, inbound but wasn't gonna make a crapload of difference until we were all smears on the roadside. We could hear the self-props spooling up and moving in and nothing on Terra was gonna stop them. Then Solomon spotted the Astartes. Three armour units he said, what looked like a mainline battletank and two transports. Three units and they went through those Secessionist pieces like they weren't even there. It was so fast we barely saw anything, just that battletank moving faster and firing more accurately than anything that size had a right to do. By the time we cleared out the infantry it was all over, just wrecks as far as the eye could see. Still no sign of those bastard Astartes though."
    Post action report, First Sergeant Nylan Reese, 8th Platoon 131st Malaz Heavy Infantry, Reclamation Action 124/sh-4

***Begin Record

Inquisitorial spy-drones capture footage of Iron Talon Astartes armour elements moving through heavily shelled area north-east of Namas Highway off-ramp Theta-354/b

It is rare indeed for any Astartes force to make war without the support of armour elements and heavier weaponry more suited to vehicle mounts rather than infantry held. Whilst the Iron Talons share their parent chapters predilection for a swift moving style of war, they also share the Scars appreciation for a telling blow that cripples the enemy in one hit. Thus, while Devastator squads are a rare sight in Talon forces, mobile weapon platforms such as the noble Predator pattern main line battle tank are a more common sight. During the Blackmaw Subjugation, Predator Destructor pattern squadrons were commonly deployed to counter the hordes of light walkers and buggies utilised by the orkoid-xenos. Military intelligence regarding Secessionist forces had established that while light to medium weight armour elements were plentiful, heavier units were curiously absent. Praetor Varras wasted no time in deciding that the few remaining Destructor pattern Predators held by the 5th would serve and deployed them planetside to act as opportunist armour-hunters.

The Predator shown here was given the designation 'Lance-1' by Imperial military observers, in the absence of any confirmed name provided by the Iron Talons themselves. While superficially similar to the Rhino-pattern APC commonly utilised by Astartes forces, the Predator sports noticeably heavier armour on its flanks and on the mantlet of its main piece. Armed with the formidable Hewer-type heavy autocannon, the Destructor pattern Predator can lay down a surprisingly heavy rate of fire that makes a mockery of the light armour units deployed by Secessionist forces and made the deployment of heavier ordinance such as lascannons unnecessary. This particular Predator unit was also equipped with a machine-spirit operated Hunter-killer one-shot missile, ensuring that any target that escaped the attentions of its main piece would find their respite brief at best. Of particular note is the lack of any sponson-weaponry, indicative of the fast-moving nature of Iron Talons combat doctrine - without sponsons, the Predator can maintain a rate of travel and fire that exposes the weaker side and rear armour of enemy units while also providing a fine defense against the attentions of the slower Secessionist forces.

Lance-1 displays the idiosyncratic markings common to the Iron Talons - observational reports and background data retrieval have tentatively suggested that the white triangular flash displayed on the left flank is a Company-equivalent marking, while the symbol displayed on the right maintenance access hatch may refer to the Predators support role and possible Devastator designation crew. Iron Talon armour units are rarely fully-crewed by Astartes due to a combination of low recruitment numbers and the fact that Talon Astartes prefer to face the enemy in person. Thus, this Predator unit will be crewed by a single Devastator class Astartes, supported by hard-wired combat-grade servitors and the machine spirit of the Predator itself. The gene-hanced physiology of the Astartes and the integration of purpose-built servitors leaves the Predator the equal of any veteran crew-served Imperial armour piece and able to respond to battlefield conditions quicker than a purely mortal crew.

During the Aren Prime Interdiction, commonly referred to as The Three Hives Rebellion by non-military personnel, the armour units of the Iron Talon Astartes reaped a fearsome toll from Secessionist forces and ensured that the southern third of the Namas Highway and outlying continental plains remained firmly in Imperial hands.

*** End Record
    <

Gorgeous painting and nicely put together background!
    Broterhood of the Shattered Spear - Heresy-Era White Scars of the 189. Explorator-Fleet!

Heroes of Armageddon - Unwanted paints 21 different Chapters for fun and profit (No actual profit involved)

Unwanted Forays into Mordheim! Orcs in da ruins!
    <

Dude, the tank is awesome XD
    I can agree on the many beers thing too, big night last night
    I can't put photos up until I can get the pc up on the net, by then my army will be half painted :P
    Are you going to run scout snipers??? (or were they wiped out in the massive suppression campaigns?)
    <

Looking very awesome, and I'm loving the fluff snippets, keep it all coming! I was wondering if you'd had the chance to field the Predator yet, and if so how well did it perform? I've been considering adding a couple to my White Scars using the same configuration, but had some concerns about getting enough bang for my buck, so to speak.
    eek does White Scars
    Two men, and Elf and a Dwarf walk into a dungeon... - a Warhammer Quest project log (currently on hold)
    <

Cheers for the kind words gents - pleasantly surprised to see how nicely those pics of the Predator turned out, think I might have cracked it.

@ Unwanted - Thanks mate, glad to hear you're enjoying things.

@ Hazmiter - cheers buddy I never enjoy painting tanks but the Predator did come out nicely. No scouts for me at the moment - I'm not a huge fan of them but I do have a squad with bolters just waiting for helmed heads, so I might add those in if I decide to reach 2.5k. Fluff-wise, the scouts are concerning themselves with recon missions and hunting spy-drones so won't be seen all that much...

@ Eek107 - thanks mate, much appreciated. The way I look at the basic Predator is this - its 60pts. For that, you get AV13 on the front, 3 HPs and an autocannon. So it's tough as feth and soaks a load of punishment and with the HP rules is great against light vehicles, walkers and skimmers. Use it as a screen for Rhinos, without sponsons you can happily trundle round 6 inches a turn and hit the sides of light transports without the whole 'but if I move I'm wasting my sponsons' thing. The first game I used it in, it happily faced down 3 Chimeras and a Hellbrute and was still rolling. Its also tough enough to soak up hits and still achieve that Linebreaker VP in the last turn - this also works if your opponent ignores it because its only got an Autocannon. Plus look at it - it looks awesome, specially if you get the FW reinforced armour like I did. My main point though is that its only 60pts. Absolute bargain for a tank that tough.

Anyways, enough Predator love from me (seriously though guys, 60pts. For a tank. 60 pts.) Got some good pics of the second Tactical squad over the weekend so I'll do my best to get those up tonight and finish off the last 4 Tactical marines and make a start on the Rhino and Razorback. Might have to do something cool as a reward though, maybe the Praetor or first 5 Sternguard....

Cheers all
    Jack
    <

Commander

ohhh i likey.

My unnamed (and unloved) Scars off shoots are Bone coloured too. Im really liking your fluff and that Predator is awesome. Is that the FW armour upgrade pack you have fitted to it ?
    <

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast