I'm posting this here in the hopes of getting some responses/discussion going. I played 40k many years ago (in the 3rd-4th edition range) and haven't really played (though have at times read this forum) since then. I'm looking at getting back into the game and am interested in getting help choosing an army. While I have no experience with the 6th edition rules, I have experience with wargaming in general and am willing to put in the time required to learn. I've looked through the forums, specifically the list of "killer lists" but it seems somewhat lacking in terms of gauging actual quality, rather than just specific people posting a specific list they've had trouble with.
So, here's what I'm looking for/underlying assumptions:
- Theme is cool, but a competitive list is more important
- Assume I'm starting with 0 models so an army that functions passably at small values that I can steadily grow into with more purchases would be good
- Only core rules/armies (that is no forgeworld rules, etc.), though I don't care how old a codex is if it is competitive
- Needing/using allies is fine with the caveat of the second point - I'd like to be able to have a functional list without allies that gets better once I can add them
- Likely to remain usable for the foreseeable future - it doesn't need to stay number 1, but I'd hate to collect something that is likely to be errata'd next month
Thanks in advance.