Thread: Gloriana Class Battlecruiser

Gloriana Class Battlecruiser

So ppl, do we have _any_ idea on the armaments in BFG for a Gloriana Class Battlecruiser, the books speak of lances, long range, and they have launch bays to.. hmmm ideas ?

Re: Gloriana Class Battlecruiser

Google only gives one mention of a Gloriana class Battlecruiser, and that's here. It seems to prefer the term "Gloriana class Battleship".
    One of those google links mentioned that Angron's flagship, Conqueror, is a Gloriana class battleship that had been refitted for short-range engagements. You can find it in the Powers of Chaos PDF. It doesn't have long range weapons, nor does it have launch bays.
    Another article mentions a Night Lords ship of that class. I'm thinking that the Oberon class battleship (Imperial Fleets PDF) is similar to the "gunship, but also has launch bays" that you seem to be talking about. 4 launch bays, 4 60cm lances, 12 60cm gun batteries, 10 45cm gun batteries.

If you're looking for a battlecruiser:
    The Mars class battlecruiser, the Styx heavy cruiser and the Jovian (from the Bakka list) battlecruiser all have 2 lances (60 cm range) and multiple launch bays. However, the Mars and Styx also have gun batteries (45 and 60 cm respectively) and the Mars has a nova cannon. The Devastation class cruiser is cruiser-sized but has more lances. All of those might be good places to start from if you want to make up your own rules. I think that your best place to start, though, would be the Bakka list's Dominion class battlecruiser... 6 lances with ranges between 45-60cm and 4 launch bays. It has prow torpedoes. It sounds as if you regard those launch bays as almost secondary to the lances, and the dominion does have 6 lances.

More information would help, though. Was it mostly a carrier? Were most of its ranged weapons lances, or where there guns too? Battlecruiser, or battleship?

Well, that's the image for it as of HH:CV -
    http://www.tradecardsonline.com/img/...93/big/046.jpg

Which is pretty... nondescript. I think taking a Desolator-profile ship works most sensibly, switching the torpedoes to launchbays up front. It fits the feel of a ship that Primarch of the World Eaters might be inclined to use.

Model-wise, my best guess given the image and the idea of the ship would be to try for a Grand-cruiser-like 'fusion' of Despoiler/Desolator and Imperial Battleship parts. Given the image and the age of the Imperium at the time, I'd be tempted to use a Mechanicus Battleship hull for it. (Despite the image, which'd suggest an Apocalypse or Retribution prow. The spine, at least, looks like it might benefit from being Mechanicus, less gothic, more industrial.)

Edit: Having a wee look at the two models, attempting a 'cut' between the Desolator's first and second (from the rear) 'weapon bays' and replacing with the spine from a Mechanicus Battleship and the prow of an Apocalypse Class/Voss hull looks like it might approximate the visual feel of the image linked above whilst also giving the more solid chunkiness associated with a battleship displacement hull. Putting Imperial WBs in the front two slots and some lances up top could work nicely.

I'm tempted to give it a go... only 60 in bits for something that might go horribly wrong...
    Last edited by Xisor; 30-01-2013 at 17:19.
    "Never! The bandwagon will leave without us!"- Sojourner
    "Xisor's lucky he didn't get bundled to the ground and shot in the head six times."- Charax
    "Poor old Ahriman and his many failed attempts to get a library card."- Lord Damocles
    http://xisor.wordpress.com

Hey Xisor,
    link says I can't view it.
    WARP RIFT - The Battlefleet Gothic online fanzine.
    Available for download here:
    http://www.tacticalwargames.net/arch...mag/index.html

GothiComp Hall of Fame

Horizon's New Blog

Humbug, that's a nuisance. There's not much in the way of replica images online. Perhaps it's best to replicate my method: google image search for "angron conqueror", look for the HH:CTCG card with a blue-and-grey ship on it. Comes up as fourth on my results.
    "Never! The bandwagon will leave without us!"- Sojourner
    "Xisor's lucky he didn't get bundled to the ground and shot in the head six times."- Charax
    "Poor old Ahriman and his many failed attempts to get a library card."- Lord Damocles
    http://xisor.wordpress.com

Wow... that pictures just all wrong. That looks like a Tyrant with a handful of older design elements added. It sure doesnt look close to battleship sized. The description on the 40k wiki sounds pretty accurate to its stats tho, lots of short range weapons and lances with prow torps.

The Gloriana is likely the proper name for the chaos space marine battlebarge listed in the FAQ2010 Powers of Chaos pg 112, based off the designs for the Vengeful Spirit.