Page 1 of 190 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Tau rumours

Tau rumours

Olannon beat me too it!

Quote Originally Posted by Olannon
    Let's try and summarize what we know so far:

HQ -
    Fireblade (60 points), Ethereal (50 points) and Commander. The first two are infantry, the last is in a crisis suit. No rules or wargear is known for the Commander, the Ethereal and Fireblade give buffs that mostly assist the Fire Warriors. Both Fireblade and Commander are BS5, the latter has current Shas'o stats. Fireblade LD9.

Elites -
    Crisis 22 pts per suit, same stats as old. +10 points for Shas'vre, LD9. No known cost of wargear etc. 1-3 suits.
    Stealth suits 30 pts per suit, 1 in 3 may exchange for fusion blaster. +10 points for Shas'vre, LD9. 3-6 suits.
    Riptide 180 points. BS3 S6 T6 W5 LD9 2+/5++/feel no pain. Comes with a Heavy Burst Cannon and TL-SMS, can exchange the first for an Ion Accelarator for +5 points. The SMS can be exchanged for twin-plasma or fusion, for free. Can overcharge nova reactor, works on 3+ (if you fail, you take a wound). 4 effects: 3+ invulnerable, move 4D6 in assault phase, fire secondary weapon system twice, fire primary weapon system with nova profile. Can take up to two artillery shield drones which sport MP and 4+/4++ @ T6 (+25 points for each). 1 suit.

Troops -
    FireWarriors 9 pts per model, same stats as old but with grenades. Can exchange for Carbines for free (as many as you want). +10 points for Shas'ui. 6-12 models.
    Kroot 6 pts per model. Can take 3 krootox (+25 each) and 10 hounds (+5 each). Reduced to S3, otherwise same as before. Can buy "precision ammunition", making them snipers for +1 pt per model. 10-20 models.
    Devilfish: same as before. +10 points for making Drones into SMS, +8 points per seeker (can have 2).

Fast Attack -
    Bomber 160 points. Missile Pod, 2 seeker missiles, markerlight (though not the usual one, as far as I can tell. Might be an array?). Can TL the MP for +5 points. 2 Drones, both of which have twin-linked Ion Rifles. Lots of S7 fire, in other words. BS3 - 11/10/10. 1 model.
    Fighter 145 points. Quad-ion turret, burst cannon, 2 seeker missiles. Can swap burst cannon for missile pod (+5 points). BS3 11/10/10. 1 model.
    I can't see anything with regards to Pathfinder's unit entry. Did I miss something?

Heavy support -
    Broadsides 65 points. Same stats as before, they come with TL heavy rail rifles and TL SMS out of the box. +10 points for Shas'vre (LD9). May swap TL heavy rail rifles for TL High Yield Missile Pods for free. May swap TL SMS for TL Plasma, +5 points per model. 1-3 models.
    Hammerhead 125 points. BS4, 13/12/10. Comes with Railgun and 2 drones out of the box. Can upgrade railgun to have submunition charges (+5 points) and swap drones for either TL BC or TL SMS, both for free. This makes no sense to me as TL SMS is always better, but whatever. May swap railgun for ion cannon, may take up to two seeker missiles for +8 points each. 1 model.
    Skyray 125 points. BS4, 13/12/10. 6 Seeker Missiles and 2 Networked Markerlights as well as 2 drones. May swap drones same as Hammerhead. 1 model.
    Sniper Drones 13 points per controller, 15 points per drone. Controllers have markerlights and BS5, Drones have Long-ranged Pulse rifles. Stealth. Drones are T4, otherwise same stats as other drones. Entire unit is LD7. 1-3 controllers, 3-9 Drones.

Misc -
    Iridium suit (XV8-02) gives +1T and 2+ AS.
    There's some kind of special weapon/equipment which lets you trade all attacks in combat for one @S10, AP1. I suppose it's for commanders, though it makes very little sense to me.
    Seeker Missiles may now be fired at the vehicle's base BS.
    Entire army has supporting fire, i.e. they may aid an assaulted unit with overwatch.
    We get 6 Warlord traits:
    1. No LoS! against warlord's shooting
    2. One use only, declare at start of turn. Warlord and friendly units within 12" may re-roll to hit rolls of 1 when shooting.
    3. 3D6 Thruster move.
    4. One use only. All friendly units can move, shoot and charge even if they have gone to ground.
    5. One use only. Warlord + unit gains Skyfire.
    6. Warlord and unit can make a perfect deep strike without error.
    Shas'els have gone - all Tau commanders are just commanders, with a Shas'O stat
    Targetting array has apparently gone for both vehicles and suits (Skyrays and Hammerheads have one built in)
    Seeker missiles can fire using the firers BS, or BS5 if launched via a marker (and regardless of whether the unit with the seeker could fire it - running broadsides, fast moving tanks etc)
    Drone controllers aren't required to have drones, but intead let them use your BS rather than their own
    I've taken away the translated weapon stats as that might be getting a little close to copyright infringement for a round up on warseer:
    Carbines and SMS get an additional shot, SMS gains 6" more range
    Rail and Ion rifles get rapid fire
    Fusion and Neutron blasters get 18"

Tau are going to be released in April with the following kits, information is mostly compiled from Kirby on 3++, Nafka on Faeit212 and Neko and the Dude here on warseer, please note that I've paraphrased a lot to get it to fit this format rather than a comment or blog post, so any errors here could be mine:

The new cover is of a Crisis suit. The suit is posed with one leg on a boulder, whilst shooting a target to the suit's right with a fusion blaster

New Battleforce - 80
    3 Crisis suits, 12 Firewarriors, Piranha, 3 Stealthsuits with marker drones, 8 gun drones

XV104 Riptide battlesuit - 50/US$85
    Plastic kit sculpted by Matt Holland, Dale Stringer and Tom Walten

Elite choice
    Monstrous creature with T6 W4 2+ save, 5+ invulnerable save and a jump/jetpack of some kind
    Primary Weapon options are upgraded versions of the Ion cannon and burst cannon, Railcannon may also be an option
    It also mounts "Crisis level" weapons (missiles/SMS and plasma rifles in pictures) on it's shoulders and underslung beneath the primary weapon
    Comes with two shielded missile drones (a new type)
    Equipped with a Nova reactor, which it can activate to boost weapon power (changing the Ion cannon from S7 AP 2 3shots to a large blast, possibly at S8 AP2), increase it's invulnerable save to 3++ or to do other things (increase stats and maybe required in order to jump).
    Can buy an option granting Skyfire
    Is poseable enough that weapon arms can be switched around and can be assembled in a kneeling position, similar to that of the Firewarriors
    Around 7-8" tall, comes with multiple 'FW style' heads that look compatible with current crisis suits
    Activating the Riptide's Nova Engine is risky. It only works on a 3+. If it fails to activate (roll of 1-2) the Riptide suffers a wound.- The Dude on warseer
    The weapon buff result for the Nova Engine supposedly buffs the large blast of the Ion Accelerator to S9 AP1 - The Dude on warseer
    Activating the reactor might grant a roll on a table rather than a choice of effect - 1&2 being suffer a wound, the remaining 4 granting an effect like boosting the ionweapon or shield - the Dude on Warseer

Sunshark Bomber/Razorshark fighter - 40/US$65
    Plastic kit sculpted by Colin Grayson

Fast Attack choices
    Fighter/gunship is armed with nose mounted burstcannons, and an array of ion weapons mounted in a turret underneath the fuselage. It also has two "pop up" seeker missiles.
    Gunship's main weapon is quad ion weapon, and may also be able to overload for multiple S8 blasts - Nekomata on ATT

Bomber is armed with a plasma generator which it uses to launch balls of plasma instead of having conventional bombs and a bomb bay.
    Bomber also has two drone fighters, armed with railrifles, that can be launched to defend itself.
    The drone fighters may have ion weapons. That can be overloaded as with other ion weaponry for a S8 blast - Nekomata on ATT

Pathfinders (10+ 3 drones) - 20/$US35
    Plastic kit sculpted by Ed Cottreil and Matt Holland

Still a Fast Attack choice
    Markerlights work more or less the same as they do now (boost BS, reduce cover etc)
    Have access to more experimental weapons, as well as Railrifles and pulse carbines.
    Pulse carbines are assault 2
    The 3 drones in the kit are Grav inhibitor, pulse accelerator and recon drone (which can fit in the turret cupola of a devilfish and provide communication relays and fire support).
    It's unknown as to whether other units can take these or if drones are now specific options for each unit
    Special character Pathfinder called Nightstrider

XV88 Broadside Battlesuit - 30/US$50
    Plastic kit with two drones (box art appears to show shield/missile pods), sculpted by Samir Battistotti and Matt Holland

Sniper pose
    New drone options
    Carry the mid range rail weapon - S8 AP1 (looks to be Heavy 1, no rumours of Salvo 2/1)
    Slow and Purposeful, 2+ and T4 now.
    Can take plasma or missiles as well.
    They have a suit upgrade that let's them at the start of a shooting phase have skyfire (with it, they are 85 points).
    They don't have interceptor, nor do they snap fire ground targets.
    Also appears to be a missile pod variant, with a suit mounted seeker missile
    60mm base
    Broadside Railguns can choose each round if: Str 8 Ap1/ Str 6 AP3 blast - Ravengardt from Faeit 212
    Broadsides with missiles get 4 shots each at S7 AP4 - the Dude on Warseer

XV8 Crisis suit team - 45/US$75
    Plastic set of 3 models, current models

Just a rebox, no new sprue
    Almost certainly can't be taken as troops
    Lots of new bits of wargear, but it's currently how much standard suits can take and how much is special issue wargear.
    Information about this has been put at the bottom under "Miscellaneous rumours"

Commander Farsight - unknown
    Finecast
    Might have rejoined the returned to the Tau'va, Dawn Blade is now a Power Glavie with Tau symbols and designs on it
    Looks almost exactly like the test model Matt Holland did that appeared at GD 2009

Comander in Crisis Enforcer Armour - unknown
    Finecast (presumably)

Very little information, mentioned in Riptide design article
    Apparently has hands extended out for some reason.

Cadre Fireblade - unknown (probably 9)
    Plastic character

Firewarrior upgrade called Cadre Fireblade (maybe be SC or just 'unique')
    IC with split fire, markerlight, supporting fire, volley fire (+1 shot for Pulse Rifles/Carbines if unit and IC do not move).

Special Characters
    Finecast characters
    Dark strider - Pathfinder SC
    Over the left eye Darkstrider has a piece of equipment that allows his team to target the weak points of enemy armour

Longstrike - Special character is "like" Chronus/Pask for tanks.
    Tank Hunter, potential cover boost, tank can overwatch.
    Hammerhead roughly 160-170 WITH character.

Other units
    Firewarriors are 9 points
    Stealthsuits can overwatch at BS2
    Skyray can shoot and ground and air targets (one assumes at full BS).
    Piranhas get cheaper
    Shadowsun may get split fire

Kroot and Vespid are in, but no new units - Neko*
    There's no allies supplement. So I'm not sure when we might see this kroot monster that 2 people have seen (because it doesn't exist). - Hastings

Miscellaneous rumours
    There is something called.... Puretide engram neurochip probably a reserve modifier, Steal the Initiative boost - Tastyfish
    Supporting fire allows other Tau units within 6" to overwatch a charging unit as well. Not sure if this is all Tau units or just specific types.
    Repulsor field. D6 s4 ap- hits to attacking units at I10
    All Ion weapons have a 'supercharge' option but at a risk (gets hot?). Drones can have Ion weapons.
    Disruption pod gives a boost to cover saves

*The Future
    The Kroot rules (headhunters, kroothawks, giant beasts) that have been rattling around for a while might turn up in the near future in an Allies supplement, similar to the monsters and magic supplement WFB had with the Storm of Magic.
    However, Hastings says that this is not the case and there is no such book

Older rumours are in the spoiler below, there may be bits there that have been missed about from the list above (Kroot and vespid point costs and updates for instance) as this is primarily made up from information leaked from the April WD, which is focusing heavily on the Tau aspect of Tau Empire.
    Last edited by Tastyfish; 03-04-2013 at 15:38.
    < This post has a report

Re: Tau rumours

Definitely like the sound of the Kroot headhunters, and a Crisis kit with all the options could be great - though I wouldn't be surprised if they also moved to a larger base like the FW ones as getting a pose to fit on the current base is quite tricky.
    Markerlight update is a little disappointing, but if AFP's are a standard bit of kit now that would mitigate the issues in taking a defended bit of terrain.
    Last edited by Tastyfish; 21-03-2013 at 18:20.
    <

T2 on that walker? That doesn't sound right.
    Would make instant death a huge problem for it.
    <

It's T8 W2.
    In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only British.
    Actual (alleged) girl. Alpha Female.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jes Goodwin
    They breed more anyway, its a pretty rough place, Commoragh, there's a lot of it going off.
    <

Ahh I see now, knew that it was really wrong otherwise.
    <

The first post says
    WS 4
    BS 4
    S 6
    T 8
    W 4
    I 2
    A 4
    LD 8
    SV 2+/4+
    Not T2, nor W2. :P
    <

Made it a little more obvious, it's actually quite a bit better than I was expecting in close combat, you can tell you're a Tau player when you don't even register WS and A characteristics.
    Two to three WS4, S10 smash attacks, depending on whether it's charging, along with that 4++ save is going to make a lot of dreadnoughts think twice about trying to take it on up close.
    <

If this pans out, i cant wait. My wallet is going to hurt bying all those new crisis and broadsides.
    <

Marine

I'd hoped the Tau flyer would be mostly AA but a transport tougher than the 'fish sounds great. If not a bit OP. I'd be excited if what was posted about the kroot comes through
    <

Interesting. SM is still saying the Deep Striking Fortification is in the Codex, but I'm not convinced we'll see Fortifications added like this. Maybe it's being play tested at the same time as the other stuff but will be released in WD at the same time.

What's the chronology of these rumours? Which appeared first.
    The Tale of Guilders

That's just... like... your opinion, man.

#| ||||||||||||||||| W ||||||||||||||||| |#
    <

Sorry, but I don't believe in Stickmonkey rumours anymore. He was very off with the last releases. Either he gets hints so early that it changes so much in the end that you actually don't need to care about them in the first place, or he is making stuff up. Don't want to get this into a rumormongers bashing thread, but it has to be said before hopes get too high.
    Visit Tale of Painters - the daily updated hobby blog!
    We're blogging about collecting and painting armies, with daily updates of WIP models and showcases of finished pieces for your inspiration. We also post extensive tutorials and reviews!
    Latest Posts: Review: Age of Sigmar Starter Set / Tutorial: How to paint Eldar / Tutorial: Beginners Guide to Miniature Photography / Tutorial: How to paint Death Company
    <

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Interesting. SM is still saying the Deep Striking Fortification is in the Codex, but I'm not convinced we'll see Fortifications added like this. Maybe it's being play tested at the same time as the other stuff but will be released in WD at the same time.

What's the chronology of these rumours? Which appeared first.
    Anon one was 3rd Feb, SM's were 4th and 5th of Feb (originally two separate posts starting with Units. Thought they were close enough to merge together here.
    <

Rules rumours very rarely have any relation to the finished product whatsoever. I have no faith in these.

Anyone up for a small bet concerning the existence of the Vespid Flyer? 5 says there is no such thing.
    As a long-time Goblin player, I can reliably inform you that failure is ALWAYS an option.

Painting Log - Circle Orboros - Warpwolves FTW!
    Terrain Log - Circle Orboros themed terrain for Hordes
    <

What Avian said.

But Tau are close, so rumours concerning models might not be too far off. "Close" as in April/May of course...
    <

Like Stahly and Avian said, this all sounds a bit overly optimisic at best and completely unlikely at worst.

The Ethereal stuff is a logical progression from mechanics that we've seen introduced in the DA codex, so that's a posibility. The Sky Ray abilities, IMO, are not attacks that an AA tank has any business doing. It's not an artillery vehicle! A large walker is far more in the domain of the Kroot as a progression on the Knarloc, unfortunately, than it is the Tau themselves. That's a posibility perhaps, but the part that was on Faeit about the beast flipping out if the rider was killed sounds like a complete fabrication as crew haven't been targettable for years, unless this one unit has it's own damage chart which is also unlikely. I still think that the large Tau walker is complete balls and totally unfluffy. It keeps cropping up because people like to read it.

Horray for new suit models if that's true. The Ray blimmin' well should get a bonus vs flyers as that's it's job in the first place but where will it fire flakk missiles from? They're nothing like the size of seekers! New model? Markerlights taking a fat nerf if that's their only use, unlikely. Kroot will need a buff if they are indeed to be ambush elites. S5 will make them pretty effective at mullering T3 infantry if they get the charge in. The Vespid flyer sounds like total bobbins though, why would a naturally airbourne race like the Vespid have an airbourne vehicle?! Beh.

The FOC changes are also things we've seen before but the second one implies that Kroot will no longer be troops and this smells odd, so does the psyker defense, there's no basis in the fluff that the Tau are any more resilient to psykers than humans. Possession, yes, an innate defense vs attacks, no.

Overall...not sure what to think but most of it seems to be plucked from thin air, or a fair bit of Tau fluff is about to get bent.
    "Be thankful they don't cater to the American teen. Talk about a demographic that has fallen. In 20 years the BRB for the U.S. will look like an IKEA instruction booklet." - Ruination Drinker
    "Take a knee-long sock, add a metal Chaos dreadnought, and then apply to cheater.. " - Spare Change
    "Mine makes my phone heavier so wen I put it in my back pocket...my pants sag and my pimp leg bends real low..." - lukegman on the AOKP swagger
    <

Quote Originally Posted by Tastyfish View Post
    Anon one was 3rd Feb, SM's were 4th and 5th of Feb (originally two separate posts starting with Units. Thought they were close enough to merge together here.
    Unsurprising. It's not unusual for SM to reveal "new" info on the heels of someone else dropping it. Whether that's because he's now confident the info is "confirmed" or he's just riding coat-tails, well...
    The Tale of Guilders

That's just... like... your opinion, man.

#| ||||||||||||||||| W ||||||||||||||||| |#
    <

Quote Originally Posted by Mauler View Post
    the second one implies that Kroot will no longer be troops and this smells odd
    To be fair, they did change the cult troops to elites in the recent chaos codex (unlocked by the right lords ect), so a Shaper could end up doing the same thing in a Tau Codex.
    My Extra-Dimensional SF wargame inspired by Olaf Staledon, Stephen Baxter, Alastair Reynolds, Robert L Forward ect : http://outsidetheuniverseitself.blogspot.com/
    <

Quote Originally Posted by TimLeeson View Post
    To be fair, they did change the cult troops to elites in the recent chaos codex (unlocked by the right lords ect), so a Shaper could end up doing the same thing in a Tau Codex.
    Aye, but that will leave us with just Fire Warriors as Troops in the new codex. Doesn't make a lot of sense when you consider Kroot: they're not fast enough to be FA and not good enough to be 'lites, so I think it's nonsense. Especially considering the last codex's common-sense addition of Marine Scouts to troops to give the DA two Troop types, I can't see us being reduced to a single choice. Chaos has Cultists and Marines as Troops, using them isn't an awesome example! I suppose that Pathfinders could get bumped over into Troops, without their Devilfish they must be the slowest Fast Attack in the game...but where does that leave the Carnivores?
    "Be thankful they don't cater to the American teen. Talk about a demographic that has fallen. In 20 years the BRB for the U.S. will look like an IKEA instruction booklet." - Ruination Drinker
    "Take a knee-long sock, add a metal Chaos dreadnought, and then apply to cheater.. " - Spare Change
    "Mine makes my phone heavier so wen I put it in my back pocket...my pants sag and my pimp leg bends real low..." - lukegman on the AOKP swagger
    <

Flakk missiles suck - who in their right mind takes them, especially when they cost extra for most units? Why can't they give the skyray something with more punch than S7?
    <

Quote Originally Posted by Mauler View Post
    The FOC changes are also things we've seen before but the second one implies that Kroot will no longer be troops and this smells odd, so does the psyker defense, there's no basis in the fluff that the Tau are any more resilient to psykers than humans. Possession, yes, an innate defense vs attacks, no.
    I'd read that as "one unit [presumably a Master Shaper] moves two Kroot units [Kroothawks/Headhunters] to core", rather than two of the normal carnivore squads. I also seem to remember at one point the big kroot thing was rumoured to be a chariot, could still be the case or we're looking at an amalgam of rules here as a result of it hopping between the two types.

Don't think it's that big a step up from having a small warp signature and thus hard for daemons to see and possess, to it also being hard for telepaths to focus on them. Should also note that they are psychic blunts in the 40K RPGs, and are more resistant to psychic effects than humans. Think of psychic effects as being almost as much 'shared delusion' as a physical effect, given you're using material from a realm of thought to change the world.

Vespid flyer is a bit of a surprise, but I don't think you can argue against it from a background point of view. Both me and my car are largely landbound, and horses don't cover that much more distance over the course of a day than a person would. I think I like the idea of a Vespid vehicle (and thinking about it, it would pretty much have to be a flyer) more than some sort of large Tyranid style queen.

Tau fluff is certainly going to get bent, that's par for the course really.
    <

Page 1 of 190 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast