Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shadows of Albion: Warriors of Chaos

The Shadows of Albion: Warriors of Chaos

The Shadows of Albion
    Warriors of Chaos

This log began almost exactly a year ago 15/02/2013. In that time I've upped my painting and converting game significantly and have started to even improve at playing WHFB. I'm editing the first post now (12/02/2014) to add an index of the project so far. Hopefully this will help readers, old and new, to find things that may have been of interest.

INDEX:

p1 The Shadows of Albion, initial ideas, kitbashing, Skullcrushers and Marauders
    p2 Painted Marauders, Truthsayer and skin wolves
    p3 more Marauders, wolves and Path to Glory!
    p4 Plastic skin wolf conversions, Disc Truthsayer painted
    p5 Half Ogre conversion (my Avatar), skullcrushers unit 1, painted Daemon Prince 'The Shadowlord' and FW spawn
    p6 Chaos Ogres and Gorebeast chariot conversions
    p7 Croydon Carnage BEST PAINTED ARMY! New pics and battle reps
    p8 Centaurs, Skullcrushers, Knight concepts and daemonic mount BSB wip
    p9 Battle rep vs. salarath's ogres, mounted BSB final build, Skullcrushers unit 2 (and fixes), combat disc lord build, Maruder horsemen banner, bitz box chariot build
    p10 Highway to the Dangerzone #2; speed painting session, Chaos Lord, Daemonic Mount BSB, final marauder horseman, second core chariot, Ill Blood tournament report
    p11 SCGT 2014, Chimera/Dragon, Centaur Knights, End Times, BIG House Championships, Legion Building/Khorne Mino BSB
    p12 Hellcannon, Ill Blood 3

I hope that is helpful. Please see below for the original post:

Part one; Emerging from the mists.

The drums of the dark master are beating once again. The shadowlord's minions stalk the night. Those men foolish enough not to run, the brave men, we used to say, those men are dead. Or worse; joined, with them.

There are those that say the dark master is generous to those that take the knee...

We lost contact with our outposts to the north two weeks ago. When the mists clear we can see their camp fires. So many of them. In the open. Brazen, fearless, getting ever closer.

The dampness of this island has sat heavy upon my chest. The rot that colours my spittle is killing me. Slowly, agonisingly. I just wish it would hasten. Quicken me unto release.

I am lost.

We are all lost.

The baying of the dogs has lessened. Our domestic and hunting animals are cowed, resigned.

The howling of wolves pierces the night.

I hope this reaches you in time. Raise the banners- they are coming...

Although my utterance shames me, I hope to be overcome by this sickness before the campfires become siege fires. It will be brief. But we will suffer.

----------------------------

Thus begins my new WHFB army. Warriors of Chaos. Bit of a band wagon jump. But it's also a return to the system for me. Having not played since early 7th ed.

I had a chaos army years ago but sold it at some point. I forget why.

Now there are many shiney things to buy, a new codex and lots of modelling opportunities.

Credit to Malenky-Malchik for the marauder conversion idea. I've been waiting to mimic it for years now.

This force is going to represent the forces of Belakor, the Dark Master from the old Dark Shadows campaign. Those of you familiar with my Mordheim work will be familiar with my love for The Albion lore, particularly the Fimir. Although at this stage I have no plans to include them here...

I have an interesting plan for my warriors which requires a test paint job, some conversion work and some background... More on that soon.

As a hint my skullcrushers are going to be mounted on thunder wolves and I'm using fenrisian wolves as chaos hounds.

Initially I shall be collecting 1000points. Rising to 2000pts as part of an escalation league at GW Angel that kicks of in April. So I'm giving myself a bit ofa head start. Basing will be cork board and snow effects. Going for a v dark and gloomy paint scheme with albino skin, black wolves and some Celtic designs where I have the patience for it. I may use the Truthsayer or elements of its design to create my sorcerer and I shall be using FWs skin wolves as chaos trolls.

More soon I hope. If you drop in don't forget to say hi!

A.

Re: The Shadows of Albion: Warriors of Chaos

All sounds good,I too have thought about using thunder wolves as skullcrushers. I also plan a small Albion force to join my Tzeentchen army. I look forward to seeing this army progress.

Regards

Lorcan

The Shadows of Albion: Warriors of Chaos

Really like the conversion. Care to elaborate on the details/parts and how you did it?

As for using FW proxies for Trolls, why not use the FW Fimir instead? They seem much more fitting for your theme (and more appropriate for Trolls) and you've already expressed your admiration for them...
    The Host of the Culchan Plains
    A Lizardman army project

Brother Sergeant

Looks good bro. i got some WoC and marauders i dont need. If you want some/them let me know

“I sung of Chaos and Eternal Night,
    Taught by the heav'nly Muse to venture down
    The dark descent, and up to reascend...”
    John Milton, Paradise Lost

Welcome back. Above is the concept model for my Tzeentchian warriors of chaos with Halberds. Quite an involved conversion but an enjoyable one at that. Essentially I love the look of orcs, with their giant shoulders and powerful frames but hate how squat their legs are. So I stood him up and got him to join a gym- I removed the gut plate to make him more slender. I like the variation in the size of is gauntlets too. I can imagine the left arm being closest to the foe, heavily armoured to shield his torso whilst the right arm nimbly controls his pole arm.

Built using a black Orc and the halberd from a chaos knight. I'm aiming for 18 of these chaps with a sorcerer at 1000pts.
    I shall be using the Albion truthsayer if I can track one down.

The concept here is that Belakor was the only martial opposition that this group of orcs couldn't over come. They fought their way to his citadel and, beaten in combat, bent their knee to the shadowlord. He promised them the best fights in the Old world if they'd accompany him against the forces of the chaos wastes.

So my skullcrushers will be orcs on thunder wolves. Which I'm excited about!

@lorcan- glad to have you here, the Albion background is great and relatively unresolved. I like the Celtic imagery and the echoes of my homeland too. I hope I can do your expectations justice.
    @laribold- the marauder conversion uses one chaos warrior and one beast man gor (you could use bestigor too as they come with great weapons) essentially I cut the warrior off above the belt and the Gor in half above the belt. Green stuff the two together. I removed the fur from the shoulders and arms of the Gor with a scalpel and intend to smooth it up with liquid GS this week. The rest of the conversion is really just detailing and repairing the belt section at the back. I add chainmail using GS to cover big areas. Malenky-Malchik had a great tutorial in his log that I will link here when I can find it!

I had considered using the Fimir but I don't really like the FW minis and remember when Fimir were man sized not ogre sized. A bit of an impasse for me at this point. Although I may get them at some point. I also wanted an element tying the wolves belonging to the orcs to the human marauders. Werewolves seemed appropriate. Seemed an appropriate chaos blessing from the Shadowlord too. I'll attempt to write some more detailed/ convincing fluff soon!

@Kap'n Krump- hey buddy, well found! I'd be very grateful for any warrior donations. I need at least another box. I hope it's not the ones I painted for you that are going unused equally if you have any beast men Gor or black orcs, or even thunder wolves or anything from the Albion campaign I would HAPPILY take them off your hands. I'm not a fan of the marauders hence converting my own at huge expense lol.

So what's next? Basing trials with cork and snow effects, liquid GS and a BSB...

Keep rolling 6s

A.

Thats actually a really neat idea with the orcs. I'm excited to see how it turns out in the end.

Thanks @pointyteeth, I love your stuff so that's good to hear.

Here's a poor image of the test paint for my WoC

And the back

I've also got some work done on the marauder too

I also started mocking up my bases. I bought a cork pin board at a stationers and its working well so far. I need to pick up some snow effects or bicarbonate of soda.

And finally the BSB begins to take shape (not necessarily the final banner)

So quite the productive day. And I'm planning on doing more painting this evening.

More soon. Also fluff. This has been a bland post which isn't the plan...

A.

Part Two: The Shadow is moving South

Melcor felt the slick cobbles beneath his feet as he careered around the north east corner of the White Wolf inn. His heart was hammering in his chest, sweat mingled with the biting rain and ran in rivers down his back.

'Raiders' he screamed raspingly. 'Raiders'.

'To Arms, to arms, to arms.'

Melcor tripped as he approached the guard house, he went down hard on one knee. Ripping his breaches and taking the top layer of skin in the process. He flailed his arm, exhausted muscles screaming at him. His calloused fingers closed on the gate post and he surged up and onwards, beating at the heavy oak door.

'Raiders!' He yelled once more.

It was after midnight. His watch had been interrupted by this filthy storm. The storm had saved him. The flashing and forking of angry lightning illuminated the dense black forests surrounding Harrogath. This illumination branded the images of the foe on his terrified retinas. Wolves. Black as ink. Men, taller and broader than Lukas the village Smith, followed them. Stalking as one mass through the thick branches and undergrowth.

Meal or crashed through the door into the guard house.

A dark figure stood with his back to him. Studying the maps and other papers littering the solid trestle table against the far wall.

'Captain, the wolves...' began Melcor.

'The Wolves are all around you boy.'

The figure turned around and Melcor realised that it stood head and shoulders above the captain of the guard.

Melcor felt something lithe and powerful push past him in the doorway. A jet black wolf padded past him. Nonplussed by the dirk that had somehow slid from the belt into Melcor's hand the beast settled to the ground next to the figure in the darkness and yawned.

A flash of lightning exploded outside, inches behind Melcor, the sound was deafening.

In that instant Melcor saw the face of the man before him. Long dark hair billowed about his shoulders, his chest was barrel shaped and criss-crossed with thin, cruel scars. Swirling tattoos and ink blurred the edges between his blackened plate mail and plaid flesh. Chunky leather straps and belts secured all manner of grisly trophies and wicked blades about his person. His hands were like those of the smith. Blackened and dirty but pulsing and veiny, displaying the power of their strength.

The man's face was aquiline and strangely gaunt on such a colossal frame. A wry smile played about his lips.

When he spoke again it was as an extension of the deafening thunder.

'Harrogath is ours. Follow me or die.'

As the chieftain slid his gigantic axe from the table behind him Melcor saw the head of the guard captain roll out from the darkness. It rolled off the table, hit the sodden floor with a horrendous thud and rolled around so that the eyes were staring right at him.

Melcor's trembling legs gave out under him and with a barely stifled shriek he hit the ground. As the splintered boards rushed up to meet his eyes the young watchman knew that this was only the beginning.

It would have been better to have been caught sleeping, at his post, and stabbed in the dark.

It would have been better to have thrown himself from the tower.

It would have been better, far better, to have never asked to be trained as a watchman. Then he could have died in his bed like all the others.

'What is your will, master?' he managed, finally.

He felt the hot, fetid breath of the wolf on the nape of his neck.

Outside the rain fell. The wolves had come to Harrogath.

---------------------------------------

I have finally tracked down a decent camera. A bit more fluff for you. Nothing too specific yet. Just flavour. Hope it piques some interest...

Here, then, are some of the miniatures I have been working on:

Sorcerer

Standard bearer

Musician

Great weapon marauders

PIP

Finished test mini. I'm very happy with him, I'm going for a quick but striking, dark paint scheme here. I need to figure out how I want to do eyes on these guys. Not happy yet. Any suggestions of how to achieve this with pale skin appreciated.

C&C welcome as ever

A.

Nice conversions. The Orc idea would be a good look for Black Orcs as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigBadWolf View Post
    In the toilets?!

You dirty bugger!!!

Truly killer conversions going on here. Nice work. I like your color schemes as well. No good suggestions on how to do the eyes, I cheat and just skip mine on the first pass through. Can't wait to see more, Albion is a great setting.
    My Vampire Counts/HeroQuest Plog: http://www.wickedmetal.blogspot.com
    I'm coining it right now, Warhammer 20K.
    Violently opposed to plogs with LINKS to big pictures, instead of big pictures on the plog...
    "If you make me click through, no comments for you!"

The winter winds did much to halt their progress.
    The great armies of the north were well used to contending with such conditions but the icy chill soon bit through the furs and rags of those captured and coerced into the service of the Dark Master.

And so it was that for a whole moon the forces of Be'Lakor became preoccupied with shelter and survival. The watch towers of the south shores used this time wisely. Many fled. All shored up defences.

Until one day the sun burst through the bleak clouds and the great thaw began. As the Rivera filled with new waters so the roads filled once more with refugees.

The howls of wolves in the night never far from their heels. Heralding destruction.

And so they returned...

--------------------------------

And so I return...

Hi. Lots of life changes recently. New house. New missus. New gig. New phone and, importantly, the ability to capture and upload pictures. I'm also lamenting the closure of GW Angel. The wonderful community continues though and I look forward to getting some games in soon!

I'm yet to find the box with all my orcs in but I'll take a look soon.

For now chaos hounds and trolls (or fenrisian and skin wolves)

I also picked up the army book as one of the last sales through the Angel till

I'll try writing a list this weekend and see why y'all think.

@Cap'n Facebeard- I'm really tempted to do orcs at some point and think I'd have to carry this conversion through. Although it may end up being a 40k force...

@benvoliothefirst- really glad you like the conversions. I'll figure out the eyes... Hoping to sort out a list and more background then I should have a better idea of my overall aesthetic goal!

C&C welcome as ever. May the fourth be with you.

A.

Chapter Master

Great conversions! Looking forward to see more.

Nice I want to get some Fenrisians to use as hounds myself. Are you leaving the Skin Wolves unconverted?
    In the toilets?!

You dirty bugger!!!

Today is about taking stock. Here's what I have assembled so far:

I'm a fan of how things are shaping up. A couple of units of infantry. Hound chaff. Chariot. Big monsters. I think this should end up being fun to play and fairly flexible. The only thing I'm struggling with is a concept for cavalry. I don't like my thunder wolves as they are...

Any way more pics of individual nice minis and units:

@Tonny-I'm glad you like the conversion work. I feel it's really paying off. They should look quite unique.
    @Cap'n Facebeard- I'm going to add a bit more fur to the skin wolves I think and one of them needs seem serious repairs on the hand- resin and fine cast is so terrible for fingers... I saw a wonderful conversion for a 13th company wolf lord based on he plastic Daemon prince with fenrisian wolf head and tail with sculpted fur. I'm tempted to make one as a counts as throgg for bigger games to accompany the skin wolves/ trolls.

A.

Looking good, the Orcs are shaping up to be a cool unit. The daemon prince idea sounds good too, look forward to seeing it.
    In the toilets?!

You dirty bugger!!!

Thanks for your continued support. I'm really happy with how the orcs are shaping up so here's some individual images showing the conversion work as is. Some more filing and liquid GS to work on but posing wise I'm happy with these 4:

The last guys is know as party Orc as he looks like he's doing a (war)dance. He's going to be standing next to the musician.

A.

Brother Sergeant

You'v been busy bro. Looks sexy as hell, love the party orc. Skin wolfs are going to look nutts. Get painting

Nice conversions, but I can't help thinking their hands are too small
    My fantasy log : A lot of green against a feeble mind
    Models painted 2011= 45 / 2012 = 62 / 2013 = 67 / 2014 = 48 / 2015 = 22

Quote Originally Posted by Blutrache
    I'm pretty certain GW only meant Ao$ to make it easier for players to part with money rather than to make the game affordable to more.
    Quote Originally Posted by snottlebocket
    These finecast threads read like obituaries. They're just lists of models I'll never buy again.

Skullcrushers. One more to build. Musician.

Ultimately I decided orcs would represent my change followers. Ie tzeentch. As such my skin wolves.

Dang I was going to do the thunderwolf-as-skullcrusher thing myself, but I don't think mine will look as awesome. I assume you're going to greenstuff the wolf's shoulder on the standard bearer there. Crazy horns on the champ, too.
    In the toilets?!

You dirty bugger!!!

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast