Thread: Best weapon for ADL manned by Telion: Icarus Las or Quad Gun?

Best weapon for ADL manned by Telion: Icarus Las or Quad Gun?

Hey guys,

I've just started a Carcharodons army that utilise a squad of scouts led by the awesome Telion.
    Since my list currently does not sport a flyer, I decided to use my scouts as my anti flyer/long range support unit. Since Telion confers his stealth bonuses to the squad which boost cover saves massively, I've got a pretty durable long range shooty unit, with 3 sniper rifles, a heavy bolter and of course Telion with his nasty stalker bolter, and the option to use the weapon emplacement on the ADL.

Now, since Telion sports a brilliant BS 6, I was thinking the ADL would be better off with the Icarus Las over the Quad, especially against AV12 flyers. My reasoning here is that the Icarus is probably not going to miss, and with the high strength and low AP of the Las Cannon, there's a very decent chance that he'll be able to take care of enemy flyers on the turn they enter the board.
    However I never see anyone talking about taking the Icarus Las over the Quad. Why is this? Is it because 4 shots is a hell of a lot less risky in regards to missing (as not every army has access to a fairly inexpensive BS6 shooter)? Or am I missing something?

Thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Re: Best weapon for ADL manned by Telion: Icarus Las or Quad Gun?

Even against AV12 4 shots of autocannon outperforms a lascannon shot (even if they weren't twinlinked). They break even at AV13, and the lascannon wins at AV14. This all assumes you are trying to kill by hull points not explodes, but other than melta you always are. If you are firing at >AV12 it's not Flying (even a Thunderhawk or an Orca only has 12, I think a Manta is the only >12 Flyer in the game).

Take the Quad gun every time, and twice on Sundays.
    Kelanen

Okay, that's pretty sound advice. How would you rate Telion with a Quad as a dedicated AA unit? Worth it? Or should I just scrap the idea and go for a Storm Raven instead (as my list has 5 LC Terminators with Tyberos)?

Also, on a side note and purely for curiosity's sake, what are the odds (statistically speaking) of one shotting an AV12 Flyer with the Icarus?

~86.7% chance of hitting (counting reroll) -> 50% chance of penetrating -> ~33.3% chance of explodes result

Total: ~14.4%, or a little less than 1 in 6.

Nice, thanks for that

Veteran Sergeant

While this is true that you only have a ~14.4% of taking it out in one shot I think there is value to trying for the 1 shot. The chance of stopping an AV 12 with a quad cannon before it drops off the unit it is carrying does it's full damage potential is almost nill. Your unit still can shoot at other things in their shooting phase if you have a crack at reserves as they arrive. Additionally Telions special rules work OK with a quad gun but are great with using a Lascannon as a sniper weapon to take out special models in a unit of marines or terminators.

Telion is good on the lascannon if you're using it to ID characters as he can allocate wounds but as a dedicated AA platform as the others have pointed out the Quadgun is much better.