Thread: Summoned Pink Horrors

Summoned Pink Horrors

So the new Chaos Daemons codex has a few methods that bring new units into play after the game has started. When a new unit of Pink Horrors enters the game are they allowed to generate a psychic power? The BRB states that psykers must generate their powers before both players deploy their armies. I cannot find anything in the daemon codex that allows new units of horrors that enter the game after it has begun to ignore that requirement. Is there something I'm missing?

Re: Summoned Pink Horrors

I too pondered this. However, I would assume you simply generate the power on the turn they arrive as it seems the simplest option. As generation of psychic powers is completely random, I fail to see how doing it this way would confer any advantage over your opponent and cause them to argue otherwise.
    When there is no other way, the perilous path is the only road to salvation - Eldrad Ulthran

Never thought about this! I actually always assumed that the primaris was the given, as the unit benefits the most from using that power, especially when its above 10+ figures.

This may be very dangerous, but people should use common sense and generate a power once they arrive. If your opponent disagrees and claims they don't get a psychic power, find a new opponent.

I believe the intent is that a new unit of horrors would generate a power upon entering play. I was hoping that someone may have caught a caveat in the daemon codex that I had missed. As far as I can tell from a RaW standpoint, Pink Horrors that are created after the game begins do not get the opportunity to generate a psychic power.

One thing to note is that the latest update to the psychic power app has added the ability to add new psykers mid-game.

Speaking of, I realised Pink Horrors suck even more than their first glance would indicate. The Brotherhood of Psychers rule state that the unit is a Mastery level 1 Psycher unless stated otherwise, and the rules for generating psychic powers state that the psycher generates powers equal to their Mastery level (unless stated otherwise).
    The 'Magic Made Manifest' rule only allows Horrors to generate extra warp charge. It doesn't grant any extra Mastery levels. So a unit of Horrors only know one power, even if it numbers 20 models, and can't get Infernal Gateway either. A lvl 2 psycher would deny them on a 4+, even if they burn 3 charges on Flickering Fire.

What really sucks though is that they can't get both Bolt of Change and Flickering Fire/Firestorm, so they become a bit more all round. You either go anti-tank or anti-infantry.

Taking units bigger than 10 seems like a waste, as 2 units of 10 would be more all round, and a big unit of 20 would more or less force you to take the Primaris.

Quote Originally Posted by totgeboren View Post
    Speaking of, I realised Pink Horrors suck even more than their first glance would indicate. The Brotherhood of Psychers rule state that the unit is a Mastery level 1 Psycher unless stated otherwise, and the rules for generating psychic powers state that the psycher generates powers equal to their Mastery level (unless stated otherwise).
    The 'Magic Made Manifest' rule only allows Horrors to generate extra warp charge. It doesn't grant any extra Mastery levels. So a unit of Horrors only know one power, even if it numbers 20 models, and can't get Infernal Gateway either. A lvl 2 psycher would deny them on a 4+, even if they burn 3 charges on Flickering Fire.

What really sucks though is that they can't get both Bolt of Change and Flickering Fire/Firestorm, so they become a bit more all round. You either go anti-tank or anti-infantry.

Taking units bigger than 10 seems like a waste, as 2 units of 10 would be more all round, and a big unit of 20 would more or less force you to take the Primaris.
    Bolt is a 24" beam, so quite acceptable AI versus marines, especially since it doesn't need to hit using shoddy BS3.

Units of 11 are better then units of 10 though, if you ends up with Firestorm you wan't to trade into Flickering Fire and suddenly you have 3D6 rather then 2D6 for a small cost.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicHat View Post
    Bolt is a 24" beam, so quite acceptable AI versus marines, especially since it doesn't need to hit using shoddy BS3.

Units of 11 are better then units of 10 though, if you ends up with Firestorm you wan't to trade into Flickering Fire and suddenly you have 3D6 rather then 2D6 for a small cost.
    True. Maybe the best way of using them is 11 strong, hoping to get the Bolt. Then put them all in deep strike, so they can deep strike in nice positions where they can put their nifty AP2 beam through a lot of enemies. Otherwise they can just deep strike behind vehicles, hoping to get enough glances and penetrates with the Flickering flames to destroy them. Something needs to open up transports for the rest of the close combat daemons.

Yeah, this is somewhere where I'd definitely go with RAI, and just generate a psychic power as soon as you know they're going to enter the game.
    "Despair all ye nations, there's no hope for us now,
    For we made this monster, placed a crown on his brow.
    He fed on our apathy; our pain made him swell.
    We gave him dominion, he gives us his Hell."

- Liber Chaotica Nurgle