Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Zogoth's painting efforts (mainly different kinds of Chaos minis)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Zogoth's painting efforts (mainly different kinds of Chaos minis)

Hello all.

I'm going to give this another try, to get me a bit more motivated to get some painting done.
    I have been in the hobby since the early 1990s but the last couple of years I have had a hard time to get time and interest to get anything done.
    I guess my main problem nowadays is that I have a hard time to keep my focus which leads to only short painting sessions, so don't expect frequent updates with lots of models.

I will post all my painting efforts here and I have quite a few armies lying around, but I suspect that the main focus will be my forces of Chaos.
    I have a Warriors army, which more or less came to be more or less just because of one unit, the previous edition of chaos knights. I was just blown away by their look and just had to buy one just to paint it up while I worked on my dwarf army.
    And I must say that it was a joy to paint and it just rolled on from there. It was for a long time (back in the days of Hordes of Chaos) an army with only Slaanesh devoted troops, just the same as my Beastmen pledged their allegiance to Nurgle. But with the changes over the editions the borders between my different chaos armies have become more fluid, even though I have stuck to Slaanesh and Nurgle.
    Or I did until I converted my knights of Khorne. These conversions was nothing spectacular, just knights riding the then new plastic juggers from the bloodchrushers set, so now I have a unit of Skullcrushers, with rules and all (before I counted each jugger as 2 chaos knights).

I'll start of with my Slaanesh warrior bits and pieces.

My Lord.
    Possibly the most unsuccessful warlord that's made it out of the chaos wastes, but he makes up for it by doing things in style. “It's not how well you do but how good you look doing it that counts”.
    I have a couple of versions of this guy waiting to be painted, one on foot and another one on a dragon.

Sorcerer.
    My most used Slaaneshi sorcerer, nothing spectacular, but I really like this mini and I think it fits in pretty well. And just a small token/marker without any real purpose, but it can come in handy at times.

Sigvald.
    I don't use special characters but I make good use of the models as regular characters or unit champions. This model just have that aura of arrogance I really imagine a Slaanesh character would have and display.
    He's usually employed as a unit champion in my most recent unit of halberd armed warriors.
    Still not 100% done, there is a few smaller things to sort out such as finishing the gems and pupils.

Last edited by Zogoth; 08-07-2017 at 20:01. Reason: Sorted out the Photobucket-shenanigans

Re: Zogoth's painting efforts (mainly different kinds of Chaos minis)

Chariot.
    This is my Slaaneshi chariot. Preferred the more sleek and slender look of the Highelf one over the old chaos one, and I haven't made up my mind about the new ones just yet.

Chaos knights.
    The reason I have this army. I was really blown away by these models when they came out, and I still think that they are the coolest chaos knights around. Too bad that the horses looks like shetland ponies compared to more recent editions.

I have a second unit on the way, pretty nice minis these as well, even though I find them a bit “busy” and the horses almost ridiculous massive. This is how far I've gotten on this unit.

Last edited by Zogoth; 08-07-2017 at 19:55. Reason: Sorted out the Photobucket-shenanigans

Warriors.
    Plain chaos warriors. You see a lot of people complaining that they are static, but I like them a lot, I like the fact that they just seem to advance slowly, unstoppable and mercilessly.

Warriors with halberds. I have used a few empire bits in building these, to get them so stand out a little bit, and the fact that I really like to play on that the lure of the ruinous powers lurk everywhere, and you never really know who's tainted by chaos and who's not.

Last edited by Zogoth; 08-07-2017 at 19:49. Reason: Sorted out the Photobucket-shenanigans

Old “hunchbacks” with halberds. Well these guys doesn't see much action any more, I think that they are a bit aesthetically challenged compared to the newer ones.

My old chosen. Used to use these as chosen back in the day, before 7th ed. But they havent seen much use since 7th ed rules came out. But that might change, as they seems to be a good fit for forsaken.

Last edited by Zogoth; 08-07-2017 at 19:40. Reason: Sorted out the Photobucket-shenanigans

Marauder horsemen
    A standard unit more or less straight out of the box. I usually don't play them with full command but I almost always model my unit with that just because I think it simply looks better.

Marauders
    Another work in progress. Slow progress since I've had them for years, literally.
    In the end there's going to be 24 of them, it's just a simple matter of assembling and painting...

Last edited by Zogoth; 08-07-2017 at 19:33. Reason: Sorted out the Photobucket-shenanigans

Chaos Ogre
    Ogres with great weapons. Have a champion and a standard bearer as well.

What's more?
    I have a few more things waiting to be painted, among other things the lord on dragon that I already have mentioned, a lord on manticore, a bsb on foot, a lord on foot, a couple of other characters on foot, another sorcerer on foot and a few familiars. I have a daemon prince as well, but I think I'll put him in later in my daemon presentation.
    And I have quite a few bases to do, and it's something I'm not really looking forward to.
    Last edited by Zogoth; 08-07-2017 at 19:27. Reason: Sorted out the Photobucket-shenanigans

Now on to my Nurgle bits.
    This part of the army was more or less just an accident. I was working on my Nurgle beastmen and just happened to have a spare warrior body laying on my desk and just went along with the feeling and I ended up liking the result, and it went on from there. And I cant deny that its pretty fun to build and paint Nurgle troops.

Lord /Hero.
    Lovely miniature, plain and simple.

Sorcerer.
    I just love this classic mini.

Last edited by Zogoth; 08-07-2017 at 19:24. Reason: Sorted out the Photobucket-shenanigans

Warriors.

Last edited by Zogoth; 08-07-2017 at 19:20. Reason: Sorted out the Photobucket-shenanigans

Marauders.
    The poor standardbearer have been involved in a small accident, which can be seen...

Last edited by Zogoth; 08-07-2017 at 19:15. Reason: Sorted out the Photobucket-shenanigans

Marauder Horsemen
    Still a bit of work in progress.

Last edited by Zogoth; 08-07-2017 at 19:09. Reason: Sorted out the Photobucket-shenanigans

Wow! Great paintjob and converting on all those minis! Looks like a fantastic army

The Lurkin Gherkin: Thank you.

I have managed to get some work done since last, might not seem much but when you look at my recent time/model ratio its not that bad.

Might not have painted that much per see , but I have managed to get some basing done and to put a few finishing touches to a couple of things.

My Nurgle sorcerer, now based and considered finished.

I have also finished of Sigvald.

And what is a leader without a retinue? Not very much so I based “his” unit as well.

And while I was at it, toying with the basing materials I gave the GW textured paints a go, mainly because I really thinks its one of the most boring tasks there is to base my models, so I wanted to see if it could be an quick and easy way and I must say I think it works good enough for my dwarfs at least.

I haven't really painted many of my Chaosdwarfs, but there is a few test models done.

Lets start with a basic chaos dwarf.

And here's one of the most archetypical chaosdwarfs, the blunderbuss.

I have also finished what today is a deathshriker rocket launcher, or at least sort of finished it, I'm going to have to add another crewman to it to get it up to Tamurkhans standards. My plan is to use the forge world daemonsmiths for this at some point.

Last edited by Zogoth; 08-07-2017 at 19:02. Reason: Sorted out the Photobucket-shenanigans

I have also finished of a few test models for my beastmen army.

This army is actually my oldest chaos army, or the one that's been in my mind for the longest period of time. Back in the days of T4 W2 beastmen I had a friend that played a chaos army with a couple of massive units of beasts, and the sheer number of wounds that those units had was always something that I felt really daunting facing.

I even started to paint a few but than 6th ed, started to be rumoured, and I wanted to wait for the new rules before I continued, and other things got in the way (Empire, Dwarfs and later on Warriors of Chaos).
    But the core things haven't really changed, from the start I set my sights on a horde of beasts following Nurgle and that's still the case. Or almost anyway, the hordes of Chaos era altered it a little bit, as I did a few testmodels just to give my Slaanesh warriors some skirmish screens. And then the rules changed....and I had to adapt.

So today my beastarmy is consisting of mainly Nurgle worshipping beast, with a few Slaaneshi elements.

My Nurgle stuff isn't going to be very converted or diseased-looking, I rather see them as the bringers of plague and suffering than being plaugeridden themselves, disease and famine will follow in their wake.
    They are Father Nurgles tools rather unknowingly, even though some elements such as the Pestigors of course will show more obvious signs of their allegiance.

First out is two plain gors, one from each of my fractions, a Nurgle one with additional hand weapon and a Slaanesh one with hand weapon and shield.

And then we have an ungor raider, not totally happy about his eyes, might go back and fix them later on.

Another part of my army that's going to have units from both fractions are the bestigors.
    I simply couldn't resist buying some of the newer ones even though I have a unit of pestigors.
    And since the new ones isn't really that Nurgly, I painted them in the same colours as my Slaanesh warriors.

Last edited by Zogoth; 08-07-2017 at 18:51. Reason: Sorted out the Photobucket-shenanigans

Chaplain

Really cool stuff, and your painting style is nice and clean which is always a plus. Keep up the good work! The conversions and kitbashes are well thought out, good use of different Chaos pieces, and it's good to see those Repentia Marauders come out nicely since I have some planned for my own Chaos army.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Aura~ View Post
    Really cool stuff, and your painting style is nice and clean which is always a plus. Keep up the good work! The conversions and kitbashes are well thought out, good use of different Chaos pieces, and it's good to see those Repentia Marauders come out nicely since I have some planned for my own Chaos army.
    Thanks.
    The repentia minis are nice ones and easy to "de-40k", and well worth to be used more than they are.

I have kept up with the basing, finishing of most of my Nurgle stuff (including some finishing touches such as fixing the marauder standardbearer), such as the marauders, both on foot and mounted, as well as a unit of Slaaneshi warriors.

I took a couple of pics of my Nurgle detachment while I was at it.

Last edited by Zogoth; 08-07-2017 at 18:42. Reason: Sorted out the Photobucket-shenanigans

Great looking army, I really like the vibrant purple
    The eternal growing process of my Waagh!
    -Tales of an illimitate passion for greenskins-
    >My DeviantArt gallery<

Quote Originally Posted by Thitanium Prince View Post
    Great looking army, I really like the vibrant purple
    Thank you.

I haven't had much free time lately, much due to a reorganisation in progress at work, which ends up with me having yet another “department” to run, and a new worker to recruit and train.
    But I have never the less managed to get a couple of miniatures painted.

The first is an old Earth-shaker cannon.
    It still in need of a base, and I have actually started on making one, since it don't really fit on any of the bases I have at my disposal.

The crew.
    Not much to say about them. I have some plans on adding an ogre slave, so that I can use it as an Dreadquake mortar.

Today I spent a little time on this one, a standardbearer for my chaosdwarf warriors.

Last edited by Zogoth; 08-07-2017 at 18:32. Reason: Sorted out the Photobucket-shenanigans

New pictures is a lot better, nice stuff you got there & I totally agree, those 6:th ed Knights are awesome, my favorite ones as well, prefer them much over the plastic ones.

Quote Originally Posted by snyggejygge View Post
    New pictures is a lot better, nice stuff you got there & I totally agree, those 6:th ed Knights are awesome, my favorite ones as well, prefer them much over the plastic ones.
    Thanks, the fact that the sun finally decided to show itself above the horizon at last makes it a little easier to take decent photos for a limited photographer like me.

And I have been pretty productive this last week considering how busy I've been at work/in life in general.

I managed to get my earthshaker cannon finished off and based.

My first unit of chaos dwarf warriors are also taking shape, I've finished 10 including command.

And my whole glorious chaos dwarf army all in om pic. Was a pain to fit it all into one single picture.

Last edited by Zogoth; 08-07-2017 at 18:28. Reason: Sorted out the Photobucket-shenanigans

Wow, great army! I like too many things to list them all, just great conversions and model use all round. Must especially mention the warrior champion's great hat, it really made me smile!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigBadWolf View Post
    In the toilets?!

You dirty bugger!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast