Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Space wolves codex?

Next Space wolves codex?

Ok so I know that there are other armies that have older codexes and will obviously get theirs first, but I was wondering when people think the next Space wolf codex will be released? Its been like 3 and a half years since the last one (Oct 2009).

Re: Next Space wolves codex?

I'm hoping they don't get one til 2018, so they can know what the Tau fans feel like
    Iron Sharks Marines-2500/Dark Angels-7000/Sisters of Battle-2000/Tau-2500/Grey Knights-2000

Brettonians-2000/VC-2000/Skaven-6000/Ogres-2500/Beastmen-2500

Haha that would be brutal, and I wouldn't put it past GW but I think SW are a bit to popular for them to just put on the back burner. The Tau codex is due next month or so isn't it? My brothers practically foaming at the mouth waiting for it.

After Templars, Vanilla, and probably Sisters.
    "As I've always said, Wes is wise." - Scryer in the Darkness
    "Wes, if you keep this up you'll need to change your name to MajorWiseJanson." - Azzy
    "Many boffins died to bring us this information." - Forgeworld Announcement E-mail
    "Rest assured, Servitor 13 has your best interests at heart. Now let's fire up the lascannons." - GW changes their web privacy policy.

Probably looking at 2015 for space wolves update...... maybe late 2014 but there is just so much ahead of it....

2013 Tau and Eldar and then after that we need Templars, sisters, nids, and orcs. They will probably throw vanilla before that as MWJ said and imperial guard are even getting a bit aged.
    Tau - 2000 pts
    GK /w IG allies - 1750 pts
    Deathguard - 1500 pts

I am highly skeptical of the sisters ever getting their own codex.

Chapter Master

Hopefully never they are fine as they are, they have a weakness to air but hey.. I think they will be fine for another 2 years

Commander

I hope it is not for a while (at least 2016, maybe 2017) and I hope the next codex seriously tones them down. Meaning JOTWW goes away or gets nerfed to all hell, GH and LF get costed appropriately. If my Space Wolf prejudice is showing so be it. You had your time in the sun special snowflake marine army. I'm sick of seeing SW in every match-up, tourney, and constantly being listed as a "top-tier" army though they really are not nowadays in 6th.

If you are a SW player, you don't WANT a new codex. They are still a top notch army, and the only "problem" they have at the moment is the need to rely on IG for flyer or blob support, which is hardly uncommon these days. If you see a codex for them before a 2015 you will be really unlucky.
    Tyranids; 6W-0L-0D in tourny play in 6th
    Blood Angels; 0-0-0 in tourny play in 6th

Photos of my stuff; Pics

I think they could release SW as is, in a full colour hard cover, call it a 6th edition book and next to nobody would blink. Its still a very solid book, and will likely be VERY different next time around.
    Some men, just want to watch the world burn.

Chapter Master Wolf Lord Balrog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe of Khorne View Post
    I think they could release SW as is, in a full colour hard cover, call it a 6th edition book and next to nobody would blink. Its still a very solid book, and will likely be VERY different next time around.
    This plus adding a flyer of some sort, BANG, done.
    He was, after all, an Imperial Space Marine of the Space Wolves Chapter. What more could he possibly ask from life than this? He had a loaded boltgun in his hand and the Emperor's enemies before him. In this life, there was no greater pleasure to be found than performing his duty and ending the lives of those sorry heretics.

Don't like where 40K is going with 7th Edition? Try Warhammer 40,000: Only War! Edition. First 30 pages of rules posted in the OP.

Banned

As a career SW fan I'm frankly not excited about it. It will be the codex that ruins us.

They will design the book to need a crippling dependency on allied units, entirely because the SW kit is so good we've all maxed out our power armor units. I expect to see crazy overreaction nerfs like BS3 across the army or +5-10 pts per model. I predict some stupid random unpopular unit becoming a must have, like WS5 Furious Charge 17 point Skyclaws or something equally stupid and unprecedented. Thunderwolves, having sold their fair share in 5th, will become fragile units that require multitudes more to be successful. The Grey Hunter will have to buy all their weapons and Counterattack will probably be removed or made a part of some expensive kit like the Wolf Banner model they released a while back. They'll get a **** poor flyer called the Sky Wolf and it'll have less firepower than a squad of Long Fangs. There will be a squad of Wulfen models with a new kit that will be too good to be true and a character that makes them a troop choice.

I don't know. My already negative imagination could go on for days imagining up the horrors they will levy onto that codex. My mind runs wild with terrifying random guesses that, in this age of GW's existence, are so believable it's terrifying.

Commander

Chapters, everything you just described that would happen to the SW........I wish that comes true. Especially the counterattack bit.

Quote Originally Posted by IcedCrow View Post
    I am highly skeptical of the sisters ever getting their own codex.
    Why? They had one in 2nd edition, then Codex:Witchhunters, and now a WD dex. They aren't going to get squatted.
    "As I've always said, Wes is wise." - Scryer in the Darkness
    "Wes, if you keep this up you'll need to change your name to MajorWiseJanson." - Azzy
    "Many boffins died to bring us this information." - Forgeworld Announcement E-mail
    "Rest assured, Servitor 13 has your best interests at heart. Now let's fire up the lascannons." - GW changes their web privacy policy.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorWesJanson View Post
    Why? They had one in 2nd edition, then Codex:Witchhunters, and now a WD dex. They aren't going to get squatted.
    It's hard to argue that they aren't the closest to being Squatted though, and SoB players are right to be afraid.
    Tyranids; 6W-0L-0D in tourny play in 6th
    Blood Angels; 0-0-0 in tourny play in 6th

Photos of my stuff; Pics

I expect Sisters to be Dark Eldared, rather then Squatted. We will wait forever and a day, then get a totally revamped product line with a new codex.
    WFB 8th Edition Empire W/L/D: 0/2/1
    Sister of Battle 6th W/L/D: 5/2/0
    Terran Alliance W/L/D: 10/5/1

New codexes usually mean huge revamps and some new "must have" models. GW is a company, ergo they are mainly interested in making more money and that comes from selling new kits. The Codex is still solid as it is. It has its problems which could be addressed with a one to two page errata.

My short wishlist:
    Increase the cost of GH by 1-2 points
    Decrease the cost of BC by 1-2 points
    Make WG able to lead Skyclaws
    Flakk missiles as upgrade for Long Fangs +10 points per model
    A change and/or a nerf to JotWW

Otherwise I think the codex is very viable and fun to play. The biggest "problem" is that the core units (Rune Priest, Grey Hunters, Long Fangs) are a bit too good compared to everything else and that makes SW lists rather boring.

A flyer would be a bit unfluffy so I wouldn't really want one.

E: Oh yeah and WG terminator weapon costs could be revamped a bit to make Wolfguardwing more viable.
    Last edited by Weazel; 13-03-2013 at 07:22.
    My armies:
    Space Wolves 5000+ points
    Necrons 2400 points

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Lord Balrog View Post
    This plus adding a flyer of some sort, BANG, done.
    And I just got a mental imagine of a flying wolf...

... oh of course not it'll be a flying longship.

Quote Originally Posted by Weazel View Post
    New codexes usually mean huge revamps and some new "must have" models. GW is a company, ergo they are mainly interested in making more money and that comes from selling new kits. The Codex is still solid as it is. It has its problems which could be addressed with a one to two page errata.

My short wishlist:

Otherwise I think the codex is very viable and fun to play. The biggest "problem" is that the core units (Rune Priest, Grey Hunters, Long Fangs) are a bit too good compared to everything else and that makes SW lists rather boring.

E: Oh yeah and WG terminator weapon costs could be revamped a bit to make Wolfguardwing more viable.
    You forgot the rune-thingys that was their equivalent to the Psychic Hood, which they for some strange reason got keep using 5ed rules for, when everyone else had to use the new 6ed rules. It should simply count-as a psychic hood. With your suggestions above, the SW codex would be fine indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Weazel View Post

My short wishlist:

The only thing I would change out of your list is make Rune Priests keep their abilities but make them 15 points more and make the space wolf psychic powers more 6th edition by having the brilliantly well received RANDOM POWERS ROLL, YAY!!!!

That should shut quite a few people up. I must be the worst 40k player ever because whenever I field my rune priest and 3 squads of missile launcher long fangs, units I've gamed with for over 15 years, my opponent has the audacity to win against me.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast