Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a Waaagh!, one greenskin at a time...

Building a Waaagh!, one greenskin at a time...

Hello everyone. Thanks for visiting, I'll put the kettle on.

After lurking around these project boards for a while, I've been inspired to start my own - a 10,000pt Orc & Goblin Waaagh!

(10,000 points... that was a bold statement. I'll never live up to it. But there's only one way to eat a Colossal Squig: one bite at a time.)

I originally began with around 3,000pts of painted Orcs & Goblins of various types – the paint jobs date back from the start of my hobby (lots of green bases and bright colours), so I’ll be repainting them as I go along, adding to it with the occasional purchase and rummaging through a considerable leadpile.

I’ll *probably* be going through this tribe by tribe (Savage Orcs, Night Goblins etc), but who knows where my attention will wander?
    Progress will be slow, as real life has a bad habit of interrupting hobby time, but I’ll record what I’ve done as I go along, and we’ll get there one day!

Current Waaagh! Total: 5,273 points

Completed tribes
    Savage Orc Army

And off I go! One greenskin at a time...
    Last edited by Stylus; 26-01-2017 at 09:12. Reason: Index of completed units added

Re: Building a Waaagh!, one greenskin at a time...

I'm going to start with Savage Orcs, so let's see what we have to work with...

A unit of Savage Orc boyz (bright colours, photocopied banner, transfer stickers on the shields... what can I say, it was the '90s)

A small unit of Savage Orc Arrer Boyz - I got them way back when they could skirmish. Faithfully copied from the 'Eavy Metal models, right down to the crimson bows.

8 Savage Orc Boarboyz

And then of course I got a whole stack of second-hand metals from eBay and stripped them of paint...

54 models, all faintly smelling of Dettol.

Nice start, I can't wait to see more of your already painted stuff. They may be oldschool, but the paintjob is really good. I acquired myself a big bunch of old metal orcs (savage, black orcs) but I haven't the time and energy to work on them but your project might be the kick in the butt I need to start working on them. Keep it up !
    My fantasy log : A lot of green against a feeble mind
    Models painted 2011= 45 / 2012 = 62 / 2013 = 67 / 2014 = 48 / 2015 = 22

Quote Originally Posted by Blutrache
    I'm pretty certain GW only meant Ao$ to make it easier for players to part with money rather than to make the game affordable to more.
    Quote Originally Posted by snottlebocket
    These finecast threads read like obituaries. They're just lists of models I'll never buy again.

Smile Re: Building a Waaagh!, one greenskin at a time...

And I had a couple of Savage Orc characters too.

A Big Boss...

A Shaman...

And a Shaman on a boar

The job with all of these Savages is to make them my own. So I'll be doing away with the vibrant reds, blue and yellows, changing the warpaint, and rebasing them from the standard green flock.

Basically trying to make them look more like brutal warriors, and less like ninja turtles.

Thats some truly old-school red-period goodness

If you plan to repaint the old geezers, I really recommend that you save them untill last and begin wit the stuff that's unpainted. It's still a charming paintjob, though not very modern.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holier Than Thou View Post
    Is it a good game design feature that a goblin is considered equal to a Dragon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaric View Post
    Yes under the circumstance the tribe could be of dragon hunters is a device capture/bring down a dragon a impossibility?
    [Heresy Era 30k] The Eaters of Worlds Children of a savage messiah, Waagh K.F.O.R.K - My Orks, The log on my ever growing undead horde

Great start, you've caught my attention, I love both savages and vintage style Can't wait to see more old school goodness ^^
    The eternal growing process of my Waagh!
    -Tales of an illimitate passion for greenskins-
    >My DeviantArt gallery<

Thanks for the comments. I'm going to try and preserve as much as I can from the existing paintjob - aside from the colour scheme, there's a lot I like about it.

@azhagmorglum I've got the old metal Black Orcs too (they're down the list of things to do - I'm tackling one tribe at a time), I'll keep an eye out for your project.

@Zywus Good advice, but afraid I've already started repainting some of these ones (the pictures are a few weeks' old, I'm just getting them all in order). I'm looking to alternate the repainting work (which is quicker) with the painting-from-scratch work, so I can get a bit of progress going.

@Thitanium Prince I agree - the new plastic Savages look good, but I do enjoy painting these old metals (although hopefully the vintage paint style will be going).

Chapter Master Morglum Necksnapper's Avatar

Hello Stylus, I think the old skool paintjob is bloody awesome! Seeing these I get fond memories of lurking through GW catalogues and White Dwarfs in the nineties. You say in your first post that your painting is not that original, it might be copied from how they were presented to the costumers back in the day, but I say, nobody does it as good as you. Imagine an old skool orc army painted to the nineties 'Eavy Metalteam standards, but then bigger than the armies photographed for the 4th edition O&G armybook. Now that would be awesome and you don't even have to paint over your painted miniatures. Maybe a highlight to the skin. Just my two cents Anyway, keep up the good work.

Thanks Morglum - your massive greenskin project was one of the reasons I decided to finally get cracking on my army. Repainting work has already begun (post to follow), but I've tried to keep as much of the old skool charm of the models. It will probably end up as a hybrid of old and new.

But I just couldn't stick with the old paintjobs - I want the Waaagh! to have a semi-cohesive theme and these three Savage units are currently sticking out like sore thumbs - very bright, very colourful sore thumbs.

First painting update (this is the result of the past few weeks - I don't normally paint this fast). I'll begin with a unit of 25 Savage Orc boyz, armed with hand weapon and shield (not the best tactics, I know, but I like how they look).

This will involve painting 9 models from scratch, and repainting another 16 existing orcs, with new shields and basing for all. This will include a better movement tray and magnets (one of the reasons I'm rebooting the existing army is so I can gradually introduce magnets and bases to all of them)

To begin with the repainting work, some before and after shots:
    (with apologies to those who were already complimentary about my oldskool painting style - I hope you think I've made an improvement)

The shields are from the Goblin regiment box, with the neat edges chopped off (right angles didn't seem very 'savage').

As you can see, I've removed all reds, yellows and blues and gone for earthy browns and pale warpaint. I like the idea of these Savages marauding the dusty Badlands, rather than the green fields, hence the change in bases.

8 more Savage Orcs to be repainted, before and after...

I like how these new colours seem to emphasise the green flesh - whereas before it tended to get lost in the primary colours (I want the army to look like a real green tide). I tended to do this a lot during my early days in the hobby, wanting to try out every colour paint (my Dwarves were painful to the eyes) - I hadn't realised that, if you stick at the hobby long enough, you'll eventually paint everything.

That's marvellous, stylus!!! You've kept the old feeling, but the updated scheme look wonderful. The shieds are really characteristic, and the bases are the best choice you could do: they remind me of a savannah enviroment, maybe you could add some higher tufts here and there this thread will be an inspiration and a motivation to paint my old savages (I have a bunch of 'em myself ) and to add magnets, cause they're soooo useful. I really can't wait to see more stuff from you
    >My DeviantArt gallery<

And now for some painting from scratch. These are some of the models salvaged second-hand and stripped of paint.

Some Savage Orc spears - added just so I can have as many varied models as possible (I'm only missing a couple from the whole range - one of which is a spear boy) - these will just blend into the hand weapons.

For the unit's Boss, I converted a standard bearer (I have too many of these, so a few are due for conversion). Just chopped off his standard and attached a spare club. Not shown in the picture, but I greenstuffed the haft of the club to look more like wood.

And the command group - the banner is the plastic one from the Goblin regiment box (which I'm finding very useful!). My favourite model is the drummer with the bones - I think it was searching for him on eBay that resulted in my picking up all the extra savages (became a tough habit to break - I love the models).

The one on the left is just an ordinary Savage Orc that just wandered into shot...

@Thitanium Prince - thanks, I like the idea of savannah grass. Do you have any recommendations for higher tufts? I'm using static grass at the moment, and that's about as 'tufty' as I can get it!

Having spilled my units more times thank I care to remember, I am definitely sold on using magnetised bases. The only problem I find is when I set them all out for gluing, the little magnets will leap at each other if I'm not careful! (tricksy little things)

Wrapping up, the first unit is varnished and magnetised on its own movement tray.

These are "Da Brave 'Arts", the common infantry of my Savage Orc tribe.

And most importantly, I can start the total for my Waaagh!

Total: 260 points

(Okay, it's not much. But small acorns, small acorns...)

The complete unit looks great I'd use Army painter Winter tufts mixed with some bristles cut from an old big brush
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battlefields-xp-winter-tuft.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	166645
    >My DeviantArt gallery<

Love the updated look to the classics. Are you planning on doing savannah style basing on the whole army or mix it up based on tribes?

Quote Originally Posted by Loth View Post
    Are you planning on doing savannah style basing on the whole army or mix it up based on tribes?
    A very good question - and I haven't worked that out yet!

I've got some Forest Goblins (spider riders and plastic conversions) that would suit the Savage Orc style if I painted them as 'tribal' goblins, rather than forest ones. So they would fit savannah bases.

Common Orcs and Goblins would probably be okay with the style, but I might be tempted to modify it a little (wash the sand with brown ink, a bit of green static grass mixed in). I think if I kept the movement trays the same, they would match.

The real conundrum is Night Goblins. If I were basing them on their own, I would want to go for grey rock, to represent caves and mountains, but that could look totally out-of-kilter with the rest of the army. I might experiment with blending the two styles and see how that goes.

Anyway, it will take me while to get through all the Savages, so I've got plenty of time to mull it over!

What? Where do all those updates come from?!! Excellent (re)work on those savages, they are definitely up to date now, and nicely painted (great choice of colours). The subtle conversions are well done too, and an idea I'm stealing for my own oop savage orcs (I think I've got two of those std bearers too). The one with the plastic standard looks like a bulldog actually :-)
    Keep it up because it's awesome!!
    My fantasy log : A lot of green against a feeble mind
    Models painted 2011= 45 / 2012 = 62 / 2013 = 67 / 2014 = 48 / 2015 = 22

Quote Originally Posted by Blutrache
    I'm pretty certain GW only meant Ao$ to make it easier for players to part with money rather than to make the game affordable to more.
    Quote Originally Posted by snottlebocket
    These finecast threads read like obituaries. They're just lists of models I'll never buy again.

You can have mountains and caves that still fit a dessert/savanna theme. Just ask anybody who lives in Utah.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast