Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Sigur delves into the Dark Ages (SAGA, Dux Britanniarum)

Re: Sigur delves into the Dark Ages (SAGA, Dux Britanniarum)

oh my... those look really good!
    "Alea Iacta Est"
    Seutonius

@Caiphas Cain: Thanks for the comment! Yeah, some of the shields were too bright, I toned them down a little. What do you think of them now? Never watched the Vikings TV show. I only learned of its existance from reading the thread on the unarmoured Dark Ages Warriors really. I don't have history channel, nor to we have anything like Hulu or Netflix here on the continent. Is it any good? People seem to be mainly favourable but mourn the lack of beards I gathered?

@Crazy Harborc: Thanks for commenting, pal. The thing about the arrows sounds pretty good. I still got a few from the WHFB giant kit. Maybe I'll just use those for this purpose. Instead of getting the WGF minis right away I think I'll wait for Gripping Beast's unarmoured fellas. Hmm... dust, eh? Maybe I'll add that too.

@juicytomatoes: Thank you!

Update time! I toned down the shields a little, finished the painting and added a few slashes here and there:

What do you think of them ? The photo picked out the shield colours a bit strongly again but I think they're alright now.

Surely you would be able to use Hulu, right? It's a website that lets you stream TV shows, so I wouldn't think being outside the States should be a problem. Unless they only accept American credit cards for some reason. I like the show, but yes, it could use a few more beards. It has a 70% rating on metacritic, so it's got generally favorable reviews. It's not 100% on historical accuracy (especially in the costume department I guess), but that doesn't bother me. The characters are good, and the actors perform well. That said, it's definitely a historical DRAMA, and less of a HISTORICAL drama. All in all, thumbs up from me!

Ahem. Those minis. Great work, sigur. The shields are much better. Some arrows would be OK though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Litcheur View Post
    Note to 40k players : switching to historicals will get you laid.
    \m/ Metalheads of WarSeer \m/ <- click

Please visit my random project log!

They look fantastic ! The shields are great.

Chapter Master Whitwort Stormbringer's Avatar

They look great! I was going to agree that some of the shields were a bit bright, particularly the yellows, but I think now they look excellent. I like the weathering and damage done to them.

Quote Originally Posted by sigur View Post
    I don't have history channel, nor to we have anything like Hulu or Netflix here on the continent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caiphas Cain View Post
    Surely you would be able to use Hulu, right? It's a website that lets you stream TV shows, so I wouldn't think being outside the States should be a problem.
    Depends on where outside of the US - here in France the regulations regarding what's available online seem to be pretty strict, as I haven't been able to access all manner of online services that I used in the States. A friend of mine uses some proxy server or IP-bouncer to access things like Netflix, Pandora, and so forth, though. In any event, Vikings is free on Hulu so needing an American credit card shouldn't be an obstacle. I don't know how things are in Austria, regarding tv online.

I also just learned about the series from the other thread, and I've only watched the first episode myself, but it seems like fun. Caiphas summed it up well.
    The great thing about the dwarves is that, even though there's this comic element, when they fight - they really fight!

My infrequently updated nerd blog.

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Yeah, Hulu won't work here or anywhere outside of the US. I could start playing around with proxies and all of that but I don't want to get into illegal territory just to watch some tv. It's almost like continental Europe is a backwater region when it comes to video-on-demand stuff. It's a great opportunity for smaller companies but I guess all the producers of quality and/or popular tv already have contracts with Netflix etc.

Anyhow, I guess I'll catch it if it ever pops up on Youtube or something. What I was recommended for the period is Bernhard Cornwall's Arthur books series. I was told that if I started reading these I couldn't help but start wnating to play Dark Ages.

I've not read Cornwall's Arthur series, but his Saxon Tales series is top notch. I could see myself picking up some more dark ages minis because of that. Shame about Hulu. I didn't know that there are restrictions on what you guys in Europe could access.

What's next for your warband?

Stop painting them so nice. It will only result in me buying some of these guys, painting them and being dissappoited that they don't look like that.
    Besides that, what about sticking shortend paperclips-Parts in the shields for arrows?

Commander

Beautiful work!

Subscribed

Quote Originally Posted by Corvussanctus View Post
    Stop painting them so nice. It will only result in me buying some of these guys, painting them and being dissappoited that they don't look like that.
    Besides that, what about sticking shortend paperclips-Parts in the shields for arrows?
    You will have to buy some, and then hire Sigur to paint them.
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

@Caiphas Cain: Yeah, shame about the "no access for you, filthy foreigner". Must have something to do with the licensing or syndication or whatever the tv people call it. Only thing we really got around here is that TV stations started doing that video on demand stuff for lots of things. Also a few years late when they started it but at least they did. Next for my warband will be another 10 Thegns with spears. After that it's 10 more thegns with spears and after THAT ...well, 10 Thegns with swords and axes (for a bit of variety. Scattered between those batches will be hornblowers, guys with those pretty windsocks, maybe a flag. Then it's characters and a bunch of Fryd. As for hearthguard, I think that I'll have that covered by some fancier-painted Thegns if there's the need. Alternatively, I'll get some Foundry Hearthguard with dane axes but that's all way down the line.

@Corvussanctus: Thanks for the comment! Good call about the paperclips. Maybe I'll even sacrifice a 10mm scale pike or two for that. Other than that - well, you heard Easy E.

@fluffy05: Yay, thanks!

@Easy E: Now that's an idea!

Well, no update for now and probably not in a while. I gotta paint other people's stuff (cool stuff too. Titan, pre-heresy marines and loads of the latest Daemon releases!) and tonight I'll actually play a game of Gorkamorka so I'll see if I can a mob sorted until then.

Looking really good.
    Played any games yet? What are the rules like?

Thanks very much, shotguncoffee. Nope, haven't played games yet, skimmed the rules of Dux Britanniarum, didn't even have a SAGA rulebook in hand yet. I'll let you know once I know more though.

Right, two things.

First, I went to Salute.

Here is a write-up of my impressions.

Second - a casual look at the calendar revealed to me that tomorrow I planned to play SAGA. Could have sworn it was planned for the 29th! Given how this morning I had 1 point painted this got me and my Anglo-Saxons into a pretty bad situation obviously.

So over the past hours I added another 15 models.

...which leaves me at least with a halfway decent 4pts warband now with a makeshift-warlord, two units of hearthguard (in the foreground, with swords/axes) and two units of warriors (with spears).

Hope that you like them and that they'll do well.

Chapter Master

MAN....those guys do look GOOD, very good. Heck, I'm lucky if I can rush together 6 minies much less 15. Um...you are a PRO.
    I am therefore I think OR I think therefore I am?

Thanks, good Sir.

By the way, for those of you who are in the know - I thought of running these as 12 warriors, 4 warriors to go with the warlord and the hearthguard as two seperate units. A.) is this possible or does the warlord have to run around on his own? And B.) should I run the two hearthguard units as one big one? On page #1 I was informed to take care to have enough SAGA dice so I'm a bit cautious about few big units.

Looking good. I was gonna ask a rules question, but realised that you probably wouldn't know the answer, since you haven't played a game yet. Just FYI, if you need to separate the warriors in a clear way you could always run the 8 with blue on their shields in one group, and the 8 without as another.

Great models. I really like the damage on the shields. Oddly, it's something you really only see in historical models, so I might have to promise myself that I'll try it on my next fantasy models.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darnok View Post
    Please don't support the lazy klick-bait from sites like Natfka.
    My painting & gaming rooms journal: Fantasy, 40k, Epic 6mm, terrain & general sci-fi

The following are not real words: alot, abit, afew, ofcourse, atleast, addon, aswell...

Veteran Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by sigur View Post
    Thanks, good Sir.

By the way, for those of you who are in the know - I thought of running these as 12 warriors, 4 warriors to go with the warlord and the hearthguard as two seperate units. A.) is this possible or does the warlord have to run around on his own? And B.) should I run the two hearthguard units as one big one? On page #1 I was informed to take care to have enough SAGA dice so I'm a bit cautious about few big units.
    i guess, we will see us this evening to play together with virago and nikfu, so we can discuss your questions with a beer in our hands. :-)

How did you paint 15 models in one day? Slow down, you're making me look bad!

*I expect an answer to my question, 'cause if it's due to the painting slaves in your attic, it doesn't count.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast