Thread: Dark Eldar and Starting Them

Dark Eldar and Starting Them

I'm curious about these guys and have been for a while. If I were to consider starting this lightning strike army I would have to read a lot about them considering I know little to nothing about how they really play and their deepened lore. If I were interested in starting them, would the basic HQ: Archon, Troops: x2 Kabalite Warrior squads, x2 Wych Cult squads be a good place to begin building my raiding empire?

Also, in addition to this forum, is there another Dark Eldar dedicated forum out there where I can discuss tactics and hobbying specifically for them? Thank you for your advise and help!
    "With the thirty-seven Keys of Tzeentch we open the way for our brothers. With the thousand whispers of Slaanesh we call to them. with the twelve plagues of Nurgle we fell their enemies. And with the mighty axe of Khorne, we cut open the world for them." - Superior Ritual of Summoning, Fourth Book of Rituals

Re: Dark Eldar and Starting Them

You could try the Dark City site. Otherwise, the trend seem to be using Wyches in small groups to blow tanks with Haywires, so you might want to start with one kit? You are not makiing a mistake by picking Warriors, they are great, and an Archon is a good HQ choice.

Quite an interesting read. I didn't realize Dark Eldar were STILL not viable! -.-

I was planning on running 3 or 4 theme armies but considering themes don't work in competitive games apparently, I might just wait until they get their hard cover.

If their armor is weak, their close combat is weak, their guns are so-so, and their defense is nil, what can a Dark Eldar player do without moving gunlines?
    "With the thirty-seven Keys of Tzeentch we open the way for our brothers. With the thousand whispers of Slaanesh we call to them. with the twelve plagues of Nurgle we fell their enemies. And with the mighty axe of Khorne, we cut open the world for them." - Superior Ritual of Summoning, Fourth Book of Rituals

DE Can be very competitive and shooting type lists got better in 6th.. You can bring all the right guns for the job.. A venom can pump out 17-22 poison shots for 110pts and can also blast infantry and tanks at the same time for a few more points...

So basically, they are the epitome of shoot and scoot guerrilla warfare then from a competitive standpoint. Would this be a good list of products to get in $100 dollar chunks?

Dark Eldar Archon - $16.00

Dark Eldar Battleforce x2 - $220.00 ($110.00 ea.)

Dark Eldar Incubi - $41.25

Dark Eldar Scourges x2 - $50.00 ($25.00 ea.)

Dark Eldar Hellions - $25.00

Dark Eldar Ravager x2 - $99.00 ($49.50 ea.)

Dark Eldar Razorwing Jetfighter - $45.50

Dark Eldar Kabalite Warriors x2 - $58.00 ($29.00 ea.)

Dark Eldar Raider x4 - $149.00 ($37.25 ea.)

Total - $703.75

And that basically turns out to be this...
    HQ: Archon
    Elites: Incubi
    Troops: 4 KW squads, 2 WC squads, 4 Raiders
    Fast Attack: 1 Reaver Jb squad (6 strong), 1 Scourge squad (10 strong), 1 Hellion squad (5 strong)
    Heavy Support: 1 Razorwing Jf, 2 Ravagers

How's that for a force? I was thinking of evolving later on and giving my army some Haemonculi action with wracks, grotesques and Talos/Parasite engines to give my budding dark eldar dictator archon some use for all those slaves. :evil:

Quote Originally Posted by Lornak Bloodgreed View Post
    Quite an interesting read. I didn't realize Dark Eldar were STILL not viable! -.-

I was planning on running 3 or 4 theme armies but considering themes don't work in competitive games apparently, I might just wait until they get their hard cover.

If their armor is weak, their close combat is weak, their guns are so-so, and their defense is nil, what can a Dark Eldar player do without moving gunlines?
    Armor-wise, DEs are weird; your characters can have 2++ saves, if you get into melee, some units have good invulnerable saves, vehicles have poor AV but get either jink or invulnerable saves. Anything we have is relatively unexpensive and can be bolstered with pain tokens.

In close-combat, Incubi are beasts. Seriously, they eat terminators. So much that their biggest drawback is they will die after a single turn of fight most of the time because they will be left exposed and subsequently shot to death. Wyches can be decent, but overwatch means you'll probably lose a few, but they can still hold their own. Their best use is anti-vehicle with haywire, but they can tarpit elites that don't have many attacks.

And their guns are amazing. Blaster, dark lances and even heat lance are good; disintegrator can be devastating. Venoms are great transport. I would definitely trade scourges for venoms if you're looking at being competitive. I would also drop hellions, I love them, but they suffer from a lack of survivability (you won't place an haemie with them ever). Definitely not competitive, but if you like great models, then forget what I said, they look amazing.

Other good choices are reavers - 6th ed has been kind to them. It's just the paradigm of the whole army that changed. They require finesse and are punitive - any mistake can cost you a lot -, but they're definitely more than simply viable. Just don't compare them to GK or necrons (which are generally considered OP) or expect any cheese unit like the heldrake.

The dedicated forum is a great tool for newer Archons. Basically, they move fast, hit hard, and disappear in a stiff breeze.
    O&G: 5000 points
    Dark Eldar:2500 points [Fluff]
    World Eaters: 2000 points [Fluff]
    Imperial Fists: 2500 points

If you don't like the idea of Imperials and Eldar summoning daemons... don't have your Imperials and Eldar use Malefic Daemonology.