Thread: Defensive grenades and overwatch

Defensive grenades and overwatch

So can I use defensive grenades when I'm charging, to gain a coversave from the enemy overwatch?
    It makes little difference when you're a T5 plague marine with FNP throwing blight grenades, but a big difference if you are a dark eldar warrior and your leader is carrying Phantasm grenades, for instance.

And for that matter, can a unit combine the effects of various grenades in one assault phase then, so throwing frag/plas for initiative bonus, and using defensive for a cover save against overwatch, and taking it a step even further, using krak or melta bomb as your close combat attack.

I can't see why i shouldn't be able to but thought i would ask for your opinions.
    Justified Ancients of Mu (marines)~5k;Catachan 214th~3k;Dark Eldar~2k;Black Legion~4k;Orks~5k;Necrons~1.5k;Saim Hann~5k;Splinter Fleet Nautilus~3.5k; Sold - Tau, Emperors Children, Sisters, Grey Knights

Chapter Master

Re: Defensive grenades and overwatch

Interestingly, it looks like you can take advantage of the defensive grenades if you're within 8" of the enemy when you declare the charge.

Using a combination of frag/plas and defensive grenades hasn't worked in the past - there had been a previous FAQ (Space Wolves) during 5th edition in relation to a charging unit getting to use defensive grenades against someone with counter-attack to deny them their attack bonus, and the GW response was that "We think it's a bit rich" to let them do that. They probably haven't changed their philosophy on this. Even if it might look okay by RAW, don't plan on being able to do it since that isn't GW's intention. Throwing one type going in and using something like krak or melta they're probably more flexible on so wouldn't try FAQing it that way, and certainly looks like it can be done according to the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by gitburna View Post
    So can I use defensive grenades when I'm charging, to gain a coversave from the enemy overwatch?
    It makes little difference when you're a T5 plague marine with FNP throwing blight grenades, but a big difference if you are a dark eldar warrior and your leader is carrying Phantasm grenades, for instance.

And for that matter, can a unit combine the effects of various grenades in one assault phase then, so throwing frag/plas for initiative bonus, and using defensive for a cover save against overwatch, and taking it a step even further, using krak or melta bomb as your close combat attack.

I can't see why i shouldn't be able to but thought i would ask for your opinions.
    Whats really cool is having beast of nurgle gaining a 4+ cover save when they charge. Its not all that against seeker missiles though.
    "When dealing with the forces of Slaanesh, the term "Spray and Pray" takes on an entirely different meaning." - Inquisitor Kalif Rosetta.

Penance of the Elder Gods wyvirn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTom View Post
    Interestingly, it looks like you can take advantage of the defensive grenades if you're within 8" of the enemy when you declare the charge.

Using a combination of frag/plas and defensive grenades hasn't worked in the past - there had been a previous FAQ (Space Wolves) during 5th edition in relation to a charging unit getting to use defensive grenades against someone with counter-attack to deny them their attack bonus, and the GW response was that "We think it's a bit rich" to let them do that. They probably haven't changed their philosophy on this. Even if it might look okay by RAW, don't plan on being able to do it since that isn't GW's intention. Throwing one type going in and using something like krak or melta they're probably more flexible on so wouldn't try FAQing it that way, and certainly looks like it can be done according to the rules.
    That different, because the defensive grenade/counterattack combo effectively made the SW *always* had the charge. According to the GK FAQ, You can use multiple grenade types at once.
    1222. It's a stranglehold. Not an Ogryn neck pinch.
    1395. Eldar really hate it when you greet them with "Live long and prosper".
    1537. My Rogue Trader does not need to announce his arrival with eight hours of orbital bombardment.
    1572. The Navigator has Warp Sight. Not Insane-o-Vision.
    1594. Flak armor is not just a muscle shirt with the word "ARMOR" stenciled on it.

I find that no matter who has the charge, when a unit dies to shooting, it still sucks. Since it's grenades, do you only apply the cover save to the models who are within 8", or to the whole unit?

Yes. I've been doing this since the 6th book came out with wyches. Fleet, defensive grenades and charging out of cover are all awesome. Until you charge flamers. Or Noise Marines...

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman1n View Post
    I find that no matter who has the charge, when a unit dies to shooting, it still sucks. Since it's grenades, do you only apply the cover save to the models who are within 8", or to the whole unit?
    If one model has stealth, the entire unit benefits

You can get the benefit from multiple types of grenades when you charge. Grey knights can now use frag, blind(defensive), Rad, Psychotroke and psyk-out grenades when they charge a unit. No idea how you toss 5 grenades with 2 hands, so I guess they use their psychic gift for it.
    And They Shall Know All Cakes And Eat Them Too.

"With murderous swipes, Murderfang's Murderclaws murderously murdered the murdering murderous murder, who screamed bloody murder"