Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Eldar FAQ up

Re: Eldar FAQ up

Can we take a step back and acknowledge that GW has released their fifth codex in 8 months? Or have we already forgotten that it used to be only 3-4 books [fantasy included!] per year?

We're going to have all armies with the same edition and design philosophy, at the same time, for the first time since the skeletal armylists in the 3rd Edition Rulebook. That's awesome.

Rules in a codex go through lots of changes during testing, and each change makes the document need to be updated in multiple places. It's easy for something to slip through [hence why the Summary is notorious for incorrect stats, as it has to get updated the most]. At some point they have to stop editing and send it to the printers. It doesn't magically just turn into a book, it takes time. During that time, they have time to notice additional errors that made it into the final print, and then release an errata correcting it as soon as the book is available.
    |Dark Mechanicus Log | Bits for Trade |Dr. McNinja | Models Painted: 2006 - 53 | 2007 - 5 | 2008 - 3 | 2009 - 0 | 2010 - 18 | 2011 - 6 | 2012 - 20 | 2013 - 3

40k Warlord Trait Cards and more - IncrediSteve's Card Shop

If one weapon entry is all that needs to be FAQ'ed, I'll be happy. Seems a bit strange though that it was released before the actual codex was on the shelf though
    "You are my unbroken blades. You are the Death Guard. By your hand shall justice be delivered, and doom shall stalk a thousand worlds." - Mortarian, Primarch of the XIV Legion

Quote Originally Posted by IncrediSteve View Post
    Can we take a step back and acknowledge that GW has released their fifth codex in 8 months? Or have we already forgotten that it used to be only 3-4 books [fantasy included!] per year?

We're going to have all armies with the same edition and design philosophy, at the same time, for the first time since the skeletal armylists in the 3rd Edition Rulebook. That's awesome.

Rules in a codex go through lots of changes during testing, and each change makes the document need to be updated in multiple places. It's easy for something to slip through [hence why the Summary is notorious for incorrect stats, as it has to get updated the most]. At some point they have to stop editing and send it to the printers. It doesn't magically just turn into a book, it takes time. During that time, they have time to notice additional errors that made it into the final print, and then release an errata correcting it as soon as the book is available.
    QFT ^ Love how a quick errata because it seems they forgot to add the monofilament rule to a weapon entry has people jumping all over GW because that's just the cool thing to do on warseer
    'Those who affect masks, and steal their way through shadows, and take the names of others as their own, are more deadly than any blooded warriors.'
    - Gallan, On Espiel

IncrediSteve nailed it.
    Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

A bird in the hand is worth...
    BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

Well, if whining deserves ridicule and pointing and laughing, I guess blindly accepting inadequacy is just as deserving, right?

Don't know about you, but when I go and buy a cheeseburger they left the cheese out of and then consume it, I don't find anything "awesome" about being able to go back to the burger joint to get that slice of cheese and eat it away from the burger, even if I did get it for free. Unfair analogy, I am well aware, but since those are never valid arguments, here's another.

Yeah, we're getting codices real fast.. That's super cool awesome. Except these things don't have much thought behind them anymore. What they're thinking about is getting some pages out there onto the shelves so they can make their money back off it. If they then read through their product after the fact and realize "Shoot son, we fudged up." and then give us the missing content we rightly deserve, how is that awesome? When I pay prices such as GWs for a product, I expect to get all of what I paid for in that product, not spread across the bloody internet.

Their typo and mistake rates haven't changed much despite increasing the output, that's pretty good. But GW are now trying to sell us these books as 'high quality' or 'limited edition collector's items' for double the old price citing that as necessary due to hard cover and full colour. If they don't push actual quality control at the same time, they're just ridiculing themselves.

If these were softcover at the old price, I wouldn't bat an eye (even here in OZ) and just be glad they release faqs that quickly. But they're claiming to deliver high quality these days while still bringing out day 1 mistake erratas, and I say that's not enough quality for the money they're now asking.
    Awesome. Awesome to the head.

Quote Originally Posted by M@L@L View Post
    Well, if whining deserves ridicule and pointing and laughing, I guess blindly accepting inadequacy is just as deserving, right?

Don't know about you, but when I go and buy a cheeseburger they left the cheese out of and then consume it, I don't find anything "awesome" about being able to go back to the burger joint to get that slice of cheese and eat it away from the burger, even if I did get it for free. Unfair analogy, I am well aware, but since those are never valid arguments, here's another.

Yeah, we're getting codices real fast.. That's super cool awesome. Except these things don't have much thought behind them anymore. What they're thinking about is getting some pages out there onto the shelves so they can make their money back off it. If they then read through their product after the fact and realize "Shoot son, we fudged up." and then give us the missing content we rightly deserve, how is that awesome? When I pay prices such as GWs for a product, I expect to get all of what I paid for in that product, not spread across the bloody internet.
    Your analogy is pretty unfair.

Here the FAQ is released even before the Codex. So in truth you get your burger but before you even eat it the wait relises his mistake and brings you the slice.

In the past you had to wait ages for the waiter to bring you your slice and you and your friends just sat around arguing about whether or not the cook meant to add or leave out the cheese. See where I am going here.

But your right about the releasing codexs so early. Yes its great but they need to be well thought out and not rushed.

And I dont mind the higher price to be honest. The old codexs just used to fall apart. But I do miss the old black and white.
    WAR IS PEACE
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
    IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Quote Originally Posted by Gimp View Post
    Your analogy is pretty unfair.

Here the FAQ is released even before the Codex. So in truth you get your burger but before you even eat it the wait relises his mistake and brings you the slice.

In the past you had to wait ages for the waiter to bring you your slice and you and your friends just sat around arguing about whether or not the cook meant to add or leave out the cheese. See where I am going here.

But your right about the releasing codexs so early. Yes its great but they need to be well thought out and not rushed.

And I dont mind the higher price to be honest. The old codexs just used to fall apart. But I do miss the old black and white.
    Never said it wasn't unfair. :P And since these are hardback full cover, yeah, 30 quid a pop would be justified. If the quality matched the worth, that is.

Warhammer codices aren't books any longer, they are instruction manuals, similar to what you may find for a video game. And we all know how many day one patches are released for video games these days. Remember when FAQs and video game patches were limited? Seems everyone wants your money first, so that you can get a well developed product later.

And before you know it, we'll be seeing Kickstarter projects for codices, with goals that include "$30k: playstesting for five hours; $35k, copy editing the work not once, but twice; and the holy grail $40k balance against at least ONE other codex!

It's a wonderful future. You will see.
    Last edited by dooms33ker; 27-05-2013 at 06:35.

The lands of the nether, where the dutch roam free in the fields of Holland

Quote Originally Posted by M@L@L View Post
    Unfair analogy, I am well aware,
    Good

I'm going to wait and see. If their biggest noticable mistake here is they forgot to add monofilament to that weapon's profile and that's more or less it for this codex, I don't really find it a problem. The Tau codex thusfar has a total of 4 faq/errata entries, only one being a real (sorta large) mistake on the missiledrones, while the others are mostly clarification or 'duh, of course' entries, two of which I would never even have noticed. Apart from these 4 I have so far not noticed anything in that codex either. So I'll see, wether it's just this or more. Is the cook's mistake limited to a small corner of the cheese or more?
    Quote Originally Posted by Montegue View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharnukk View Post
    The bearded one wins the thread!
    Par for the course.
    Painting logs: - Dwarfs -Lizardmen -Skaven -Beastmen -Tau -NMM knights of the white wolf -Dark Eldar
    ---> Newest: 9-3-2013; New Runesmith ---> New: 18-1-2014; A new army (yes, another one): Dark Eldar

There's the old saying. You can do it fast, you can do it right, you can do it cheap; pick two.

And it's hard to position your product as a premium luxury item if you don't have good quality control.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by ehlijen View Post
    Their typo and mistake rates haven't changed much despite increasing the output, that's pretty good. But GW are now trying to sell us these books as 'high quality' or 'limited edition collector's items' for double the old price citing that as necessary due to hard cover and full colour. If they don't push actual quality control at the same time, they're just ridiculing themselves.
    Nontheless they will be going on ebay for 100+ in a few weeks ... they do it because it works (i.e. it makes money)

Mark.

I do miss the old paperbacks, they were more flipable during play and i always felt happier abusing then (chucking then in the boot of my car, putting drying models on them etc.) Than their more expensive hardback equivalents. A lot of people complain that the paperbacks were too fragile but i never had that problem.

Hats off to GW at the moment though, their codex rate is great currently and so far the books seem reasonably balanced, albeit over complicated. They are also doing well on the kit front by getting most of the models out in a very timely fashion.
    Last edited by Camman1984; 27-05-2013 at 09:53. Reason: grammar error

Quote Originally Posted by Camman1984 View Post
    I do miss the old paperbacks, they were more flipable during play and i always felt happier abusing then (chucking then in the boot of my car, putting drying models on them etc.) Hats off to GW at the moment though, their codex rate is great currently and so far the books seem reasonably balanced, albeit over complicated.
    Over complicated? Really?

Wasnt very clear with what j meant. I mean every new book seems to come with a raft of special rules for every unit and tons of different synergies. I think its excellent to have those fiddly bits but it can slow down the game sometimes.

My main necron opponent often forgets half the rules his units have. And tau have a crazy amount of options to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by daveNYC View Post
    There's the old saying. You can do it fast, you can do it right, you can do it cheap; pick two.

And it's hard to position your product as a premium luxury item if you don't have good quality control.
    So which two apply for GW's books?

Are they done fast and cheap, but wrong?
    Are they done fast and right, but expensive?
    Are they done cheap and right, but slow?

Seems to me we only get the one choice, fast (if they keep up the current trend). Though I guess that is an improvment as the books used to be all three, expensive, slow and wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Friendly Neighbour View Post

Seems to me we only get the one choice, fast (if they keep up the current trend). Though I guess that is an improvment as the books used to be all three, expensive, slow and wrong.
    Comparing the expense of making them to profit of selling them, I'd say the hardbacks are essentially cheap for gw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarevok View Post
    use Grey Knight rules but with nid models
    And you people complain about Chaos space wolf proxies

um, why can't i find them?
    One of Portents first 500 members. If you don't know what that is, than I might be too old to be still playing this game!
    My Chaos Dwarf Army Blog:
    http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/sh....php?tid=11436
    My Chaos Space Marine (Slaanesh) Blog:
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...=1#post6611676

I never actually said that GW had two of the items covered. :-)

Banned

Highlighted the correct answer

Considering the amount of info in the books, the amount of time they have to release it, and everything else that happens in house, the editing process is done to the best of their ability.

If they released the main rule-book once every 4 years and NOTHING else in the time in between, so all the info you will need is in the RB... you wont find mistakes as they will have an entire company, over 12-18 months writing new rules.

Except they have 4-5 people per book over 6 months to write rules and play test them before release and moving onto a new topic, and in those 6 months the book isn't the only thing they are working on, in the case of the proof readers, they may have 9-10 different projects to check.

As someone said above, there are textbooks for topics in universities that even in their 6th revision, will still have mistakes. The Bible even, has misprints here and there, and I would have to say that that is the most important book in the world (not from a religious stand point, but from how many copies are sold, and how important it is to its readers, religions and other places)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast