Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Modular Gaming Board Construction Log - Sci-Fi Industrial Necromunda - Inc. Timelapse

Re: Modular Gaming Board Construction Log - Sci-Fi Industrial Necromunda - Inc. Timel

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Bang bang. Cops and robbers.
    Bang bang. Robbers and cops.
    Bang, bang. Rob that bank.
    Put him in jail, put him in jail"

-Casey and his Brother

Re: Modular Gaming Board Construction Log - Sci-Fi Industrial Necromunda - Inc. Timel

Looking great! Have that fence sent myself and love it - it's amazing how many fun configurations you can get from the one set. Should be a real fantastic board once paint is on it.

Banned

Wow that's such an amazing board, I'd love to see a. Run through on the LED stuff, I'd really like to do that as well.

@ Samsonov - Thanks, glad you like it. Most of my terrain comes from WarMill (http://www.warmill.co.uk/) their stuff is awesome quality and looks great. Normally it is used for Infinity but I plan to really dirty them up a lot to fit into Necromunda.

@ Schmapdi - Thank you! That brings my total to.... 1000

@ Dentratus - Cheers, I will be honest I wasn't really drawing inspiration from any particular source but I have played Dawn of War, great game.

@ arakis10191 - It will be coming soon, little by little.

@ Hannles - Thanks!

@ Pekel - Yea it is a really great set, I plan to use it to separate slums from nicer areas in games but also for some interesting Necromunda missions like attacking settlements etc.

@ Sin Eater - To be honest the LED stuff is really easy but I will see if I put some sort of guide together at some point. But check out some of these guides if you are having trouble:

http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/infopages/page450.html
    http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/infopages/page446.html

Small update today, I started work on the table top itself. It might look confusing or strange but the plan is to build these panels that fit over the top of the board sections and on these I will texture and model interesting features. They will provide a solid, flat surface on which to put terrain elements. At the moment they are not stuck down but this might give you an idea of where I am heading:

For your convenience:The spikedog all-in-wonder-log! 40K, Fantasy, Necromunda, Scenery, its all there!

The Attic Gaming Club Podcast - Just in case you wanted to hear me chat rubbish with other gamers...

It's looking really good!

Chapter Master Karak Norn Clansman's Avatar

This far your approach is perfect. Will you have shallow water or chemical waste pooling at the bottom of the canals? Or bridges over the canals?

@ mrtn - It certainly will, I plan to have pools of sludge or dirty water at various parts of the table. I have some resin already just for this but it won't go on until after everything is painted so it will be a while yet.

@ Mr Scratch & Sniff - Thanks, glad you like it!

@ Karak Norn Clansman - Certainly will as said above, I also have various types of bridges and walkways that stretch over the canal. I will show some off in the next update.

Well this weekend I finished cutting the tops of the sections. Next up are the walls and pinning everything down. After that I need to run plastic edging around the corners of everything to keep it from getting damaged.

For your convenience:The spikedog all-in-wonder-log! 40K, Fantasy, Necromunda, Scenery, its all there!

The Attic Gaming Club Podcast - Just in case you wanted to hear me chat rubbish with other gamers...

Veteran Sergeant Darkness Screamer's Avatar

Plasticard do a nice right angle length of plastic that would be perfect for the edging

Chapter Master

Wow...

firstly, I wish to comment on your time lapse video, which is awesome and incredibly well produced... is the intention to grow this video into a start to finish?

On a different note, the finishes you have made on your various parts and the details are incredible.

Will keep my eye on this.

Regards

My name is Daniel and I am a wargamer
    40k NURGLE BLOG http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...big-blobby-guy
    Ever wondered why Maths seemed so hard?
    "Everytime I see a maths problem it looks like this: If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 apples, how many pancakes would it take to cover the roof.
    - ANSWER - Purple, because aliens don't wear hats..."

@ Darkness Screamer - That is exactly the plan!

@ gonzosbignose - Thanks very much for the comment, that was indeed the plan originally to make a series of time lapses however the detailing of the board has been taking me a lot longer than expected due to the difficulty so I think the next video I do will be of the painting of the board.

OK so this is taking me much longer than expected, I don't have as much time to work on it as I would have hoped but it is still progressing along slowly. I started work detailing one of the top sections:

Next is to add a trim around the edges that will keep the section down and stop it from getting damaged.

Sweet baby Jebus and the orphans!!!!!!

That is some kick ass detailing, any chance of a close up of the craters?

Work has resumed over the holidays! "Yay" I hear you all cry. I have plans to have a Necromunda party in February so my current goal is to get the board (minus the terrain) finished by then. If it will happen I am not sure but I am going to give it a go.

I have been busy adding the lighting to each section, I decided to go in a different route than originally planned since the power box turned out to not be as easy to replicate as I had hoped. So in the end I just sunk the boxes into each board and covered them with an access hatch. This means they can be covered with scenery if needed and should stay working even after transport etc.

I started by sinking the boxes in:

I then cut channels around the boards for the wires:

I made sure to wire everything in parallel so if an LED burns out it shouldn't affect the rest. When covered you can't see the wires and I think the effect is quite nice:

Finally I started adding the details to the tops of the boards and have undercoated and started laying down initial airbrushing layers. Sorry I didn't take any pictures of the steps between the wiring and the painting but I have three more boards to do so can do so in the future if anyone is interested:

So there we have it, I am going to head out tomorrow and get some vallejo model air paints to do the bulk colours, I am thinking heavy rust (brown and orange) on the metal sections (floors and bulkheads) and grey rubble for the sanded areas.
    Last edited by spikedog; 04-01-2015 at 18:07.

Chaplain

I've been planning a similar board and thank God I saw your project. This is just fantastic! Looking forward to see more.

Awesome! Welcome back!!
    The Tabletop Showcase - A new forum dedicated solely to Project Logs and Showcases - Join us now!

The Daniel36 Chronicles - My Project Log
    My Warseer Heroes : JuicyTomatoes - Emperor Norton - Harry - Lord Dan - Ramius4 - Naitsabes - Little Joe - Boreas_NL
    (in no particular order)

Incredible board. Loving this plog. Bravo!

That is a truly awesome looking board Spikedog.I Really like the LED lighting, cant wait to see some more updates.
    Veteran of the Psychic Wars

What has he got a tea cosy on his head for?

TOHC

@ Lateksimajava, D6damage, The boyz - Cheers, glad you like it!

@ Daniel36 - Thank you! Got to put in my weeks worth of work each year.

Some more progress, started work on putting the colours down:

Also some quick pics of the state of the table as it currently stands:

Veteran Sergeant

Your work is both astonishing and inspiring. Please continue to feed us with such a cool table !

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast