Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Give_me_a_D's Index Zenos

Give_me_a_D's Index Xenos

Please Note: Since about June 2017 Photobucket decided that it would no longer allow third party hosting. Consequently all my photos have become horrible 'Please upgrade your Photobucket account' placeholders. Please have patience while I work through the plog to replace the images as it is a tedious process. I'm working from the present back towards the beginning.

I've discovered a work around in the form of an add-on for Firefox (there is also apparently one for Chrome too), it seems to work just fine. Get it here-
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...t-fix/?src=api

Now that this log has got to more than a few pages I thought I'd do a bit of a contents list -

Contents
    Page 1:

I introduce my Tau Empire project:
    Test out my colour scheme for fire warriors and kroot;
    Start converting a battlesuit commander;
    Design and print a sheet of transfers; and
    Paint a unit of fire warriors

Page 2:
    I put together a unit of pathfinders;
    Mess about with some LEDs;
    Convert an Ethereal;
    Paint the Pathfinders;
    Finish my battlesuit commander conversion and paint him;
    Talk a bit about my super awesome drone 'stands';
    Build and paint my skyray/ devilfish; and
    Build and paint a unit of XV25 Stealthsuits;

Page 3:
    I paint my converted Ethereal;
    Build and paint my Riptide;
    Build and paint a collection of models, mostly pathfinders; and
    Build and paint my Skyshark/ Razorshark;

Page 4:
    I paint missile drones for my Broadsides;
    Show off the whole army;
    Build and paint my 3 Broadsides;
    Paint another couple of Pathfinders;
    Start a conversion of Longstrike but then decided to get the GW model;
    Paint Longstrike;
    Paint Darkstrider;
    Show off conversions of a load of crisis suits;
    Paint one of the crisis suits; and
    Did a group shot of my Broadsides

Page 5: (new pics from here)
    I paint another crisis suit;
    Build and paint my Finecast battlesuit commander;
    Paint a unit of Vespid;
    Show off the painting over the last year; and
    Paint the Burning Dawn Ethereal.

Page 6:
    Paint Shadowsun
    Start building my Stormsurge

__________________________________________________ _____________________________

Introduction
    Some of you might be aware from my Chaos log that covers my Daemons and Chaos Space Marines that I have from time to time been distracted by various zenos projects. The main one of which is Craftworld Eldar, which is the army that originally got me into 40k many years ago, but there is also a sizable pile of Ork stuff in my hobby room, sadly mostly unassembled and unpainted.

My past dabblings have included:

The recent attention that GW has given to the Eldar and other non-space marine forces has tempted me once more. However, I am planning a new project to kick off this log which is something a bit different...
    Last edited by give_me_a_d; 25-10-2017 at 15:44.

Re: Give_me_a_D's Index Zenos

The suspense is killing me
    My blog collects all my modelling projects in one place. Head to From The Wastes for more.

Tanelorn Wargames Club
    meets every Thursday and Sunday in Leytonstone, East London. We play Blood Bowl, 40k, Warhammer, Malifaux, Warmachine and more.

A different kind of project
    For several years I've been taking part in the Tale of 40k Painters, and jolly good fun it has been too. Traditionally around about May time I've looked ahead to the next year of the Tale and thoughts of what I might do project wise. This year was no exception and so it was that I was thinking about my armies and how I came to start them – the answer for all of them was that I'd just collected loads of stuff for each without much thought as to where I was going with the army. I realised these armies would go on forever with a never-ending list of unfinished modelling projects and this realisation made me want something else. It dawned on me that I could plan a reasonable sized army that I could paint in a year of the Tale and at the end it would be finished, something that my existing armies could never do. At about the same time GW released the new Tau Empire Codex and this was all I needed. So what I have resolved to do is plan a Tau army and paint all of it over the course of the 2013-2014 Tale of 40k Painters.

The start of a plan
    Having said I would plan the army I went straight out and got the old Tau Battleforce (with Kroot and a Devilfish) while it was still available, reasoning that if I got the new version when it came out all of that together would probably get me a good way towards an army. That plus the old version had Kroot and I've always liked Kroot. I've also decided to get Pathfinders and a Hammerhead/Sky Ray. The former because who can turn down plastic pathfinders, the latter will be combined with the Devilfish from the old Battleforce to make both a Hammerhead and a Sky Ray (this may require a few extra bits, but that's no problem). I've also got 4 Kroot to bolster the unit (something of a goody bag from a Games Day circa 2000).

The plan comes into focus
    So now armed with the Tau codex, the old battleforce and a box of pathfinders I have started to plan out the army and the beginnings of a schedule of sorts for the Tale. The force will be made up of, with basic points costs:

HQ
    Battlesuit Commander – 85pts (1)

Troops
    2 x 12 Fire Warriors – 216pts (2 and 3)
    16 Kroot – 112pts (Although I'm not counting wargear, I know I definitely want sniper rounds) (4)

Elites
    3 Crisis Battlesuits – 76pts (includes a shas'vre) (5)
    6 Stealth suits – 190pts (includes a shas'vre) (6)

Fast Attack
    a Piranha – 40pts (7)
    10 Pathfinders – 110pts (8)

Heavy Support
    a Hammerhead Gunship – 170pts (I know I want to include Longstrike) (9)
    a Sky Ray Gunship – 115pts (10)

The total for this lot comes to a little over 1100pts, which might mean something towards 1500 with wargear. This is a good level I feel. This conveniently breaks down into 10 sections (the numbers in brackets) so can be done over a year in the Tale (with the customary 2 Jokers), although I won't necessarily do them in the order numbered here.

But what about the colour scheme I hear you ask. Well I've been busy there too...
    Last edited by give_me_a_d; 18-08-2013 at 13:10.

The Colour Scheme
    (Wow, I've got all this way without talking about the colour scheme I plan to use) Anyway, I have been thinking about this quite a bit. For this to work over the year of the Tale I knew I wanted a scheme that would be fairly quick and simple enough to do on all the models without having to think too much about how to paint any of them. I initially tried out a couple of ideas on a gun drone that I had picked up somewhere, which helped narrow down my ideas. I then decided to do a more complete test on a fire warrior:

This confirmed that I am on the right lines and with a bit of fine tuning should prove to be both quick and effective. It is really simple as it is just Dheneb Stone and Khemri Brown with a wash of Gryphonne Sepia and Devlan Mud. I wonder whether the armour could use a highlight, either that or go a bit lighter with the washes. I also think maybe a darker brown would be better for the other parts. I will continue to think on those points. Sept markings I think will be red. I also plan to do a test Kroot, so expect one of them soon(ish).

You'll notice this chap doesn't have a base. Basing was also going to be an important part and again needed to be quick and easy. I also wanted a break from the rather dark basing I've been using for my Chaos armies. I think a desert theme could be good, taking inspiration from old Tomb Kings coverage in White Dwarf. I'll use mostly sand and small basing material with maybe some static grass and the odd tree taken from the old jungle trees set that should make reasonable palm trees.

So this is where I've got to so far. There won't be much activity here until closer to the start of the 2013/14 Tale of 40k Painters year in August/September. Until then I plan to finish off the current year of CSM and Daemons with a month to spare and use any spare time to build as much of the Tau models I have by then as prep for the coming year. I'll also be trying really hard not to get distracted by all the lovely new Eldar models (Damn you GW!).

Please let me know what you think.
    Last edited by give_me_a_d; 18-08-2013 at 13:16.

I think the colour scheme is great, once you have the red Sept markings on I think it'll take the model to a whole new level. I agree that simple desert bases would look great, with maybe command or suits featuring larger desert rocks would really add some flavour to the models. I look forward to seeing these later in the year.

P.S Don't get distracted by the Eldar release (I did, I love the Wraith models).

Kroot!
    So I've had a chance to do a test of the colour scheme for the Kroot. I'm not a fan of the standard green colour scheme so tried to come up with something a little different. I'm happy with the skin colour, which is just a Pink Horror drybrush over a Scorched Brown base but not so sure about the other colours I've used. I may be worrying unnecessarily. I think I need to do a little more silver highlighting - I didn't do any on the shoulder pad.

I've also manged to find the old jungle trees I mentioned, which I think came with an Eldar battleforce many years ago. I think with a bit of chopping and gluing they should make passable palm trees for use on HQ/ larger bases etc or possibly instead of flying bases for drones. I'll have to have a play around to see what works.
    Last edited by give_me_a_d; 18-08-2013 at 13:19.

So I've just signed up for the Tale of 40K Painters for the 2013-14 year for Tau and I must say I'm looking forward to it a lot.

If anyone is interested in the Tale you can take a look at it here - http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...Sign-Up-Thread. misterboff has been running it for a number of years and has links to all the previous years in his sig. I have to say I've found it great fun and I have a huge number of models painted thanks to taking part in the Tale.
    Last edited by give_me_a_d; 10-08-2013 at 22:43.

Some actual modelling progress for you this time.

First bases. After some thinking and general internet trawling research I was inspired by these bases from Micro Art Studio:

(image copyright of Micro Art Studio used without permission)
    Edit - I should really learn not to link to other websites

So after a bit of milliput and sand gluing I had these:

They are not that impressive it has to be said but they are basically bases with a ridge across them (the slightly out of focus bit in the middle) covered in sand. I think they will be quite serviceable for the fire warriors et al.

Next up is some work on my Crisis Suit Commander. A while back I'd decided that I wanted my commander's weapons to be under-slung like those of the stealth suits and also not knowing what weapon load out would work best had decided to magnetise the weapons as well. So I got my drill, metal wire and magnets out and came up with this lot:

The first pic is an arm with magnet and locator hole. The second is the fusion blaster with locator pin and magnet receiver (just a bit of wire glued into a shallow groove drilled/cut into the weapon). The final pic will be obvious to the sharp ones amongst you and is of course a flamer that has had some cut and shut work to enable it to be under-slung (the small mushroom thing and the rear canister were cut off and repositioned).

Also on the work bench at the moment are a number of fire warriors in the process of being built as I intend to paint 12 of them of the first month of the Tale. I'm also working on some modification of the body of my commander to mark him out as something a bit special, which is proving quite fun. More on that soon when I've got something worth showing.
    Last edited by give_me_a_d; 15-11-2015 at 10:47.

Hello again,
    Just a text based update for you this time but I'm making progress towards more photo worthy stuff. I've recently been concentrating on getting 12 Fire Warriors assembled, based and undercoated ready for the start of the 2013-14 Tale of 40K Painters next month. I think its good to get started with a troops choice. Having completed the last step of that this morning I can get on with somewhat more interesting things. One of those things being modifying my Crisis suit commander. So far I've been concentrating on the chest and lower body areas but I've now turned my attention to his head and legs. I'm going to write up in quite some detail my thinking when I've got some pics of him so for now I'll just say that I'm going for a nod towards several different battlesuit designs. Another area that I'm thinking about is modifying the stealth suits as I've come to the conclusion that the Tau in them must have had the top of their heads cut off to fit in them. I also think it would be nice to have some head movement so I'm thinking about cutting through to seperate the head/carapace from the body and adding a little bit to the neck area. Still very early days on that but as there are only 6 max in a unit it is do-able.

Here is my thinking on modifications to the commander's battle suit:

To start with I collected together images of the current battlesuits from across the internet (all images used without permission, copy right of GW):

Plastic XV8 battlesuit, Fine Cast commander, Farsight, see the GW website. (Edit: GW changed their website and the links here broke)

Forgeworld's XV9
    Forgeworld's Shas'o R'myr's Battlesuit

Comparing these battlesuits with each other and particularly the new Fine Cast commander with the original XV8 battle suit I decided that I wanted to try to pick up some hints of the other suits in my modifications:
    Head Here I wanted to get away from the standard square feel of the original. I really like the head on the Forgeworld Shas'o R'myr suit (very similar to the one on their Broadside suit) so after some thought I realised the best way to achieve something similar would be to cut up a Stealth suit and use the head/ carapace with the lower section trimmed away. I intend to shamelessly copy an idea from Lew_b81's Shadowsun conversion (See Lew's excellent Tau Drop Troops project here http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...au-Drop-Troops) and use the little mushroom bits from the XV8 flamer as 'cheeks'.
    Body For the body I wanted to pick up the more triangular feel to the new commander, compared with the older suit. The new commander is much taller than the old design and also has the ability to turn at the waist which adds to the height and gives the model an extra sense of movement. Finally most of the newer suits have the Tau symbol on the central section of the body. To this end I have added plasticard to the upper sides and lower front sections of the chest area. I have also cut through the body and capped the two sections. I've cut a disc to act as a waist. Finally I added a Stealth suit shoulder pad with Tau symbol to the central section.
    Arms Here I wanted to pick up the distinctly cooler under-slung weapon position of the XV9 and Farsight models so I magnetised the various weapons to attach under the arms (shown previously).
    Legs The legs on the new commander, Farsight and the XV9 models are all longer or give the impression of being longer than the original XV8 so here I've decided to add to the length of the shin part by replacing most of it with the additional targeting piece from the XV8. This also means that I can get over the other problem the XV8 has which is the straightness of the legs. So that the shin doesn't look too disproportioned I am going to add knee pads, which will hopefully help to move some of the additional length to the thigh. Forthe knee pads I'll be going for something like those on Farsight, which could come from Fire Warrior right arms
    Feet I'm not that keen on the new commander's platform soles so I'm going for more of a Farsight type design with thin strips of plasticard glued vertically on the the two larger toes and just a thin sheet on the soles to add a little more height.
    Other I've decided I will remodel the central air intake to be slightly curved on top like the new commander and the XV9. I may also add a raised front edge.

So it's still a little rough in places but here is where I've got to:

Head:

Body:

Leg:

Feet:

Last edited by give_me_a_d; 15-11-2015 at 09:56.

I thought it was about time for a little update. I don't have a huge amount to show right now as I've just about finished the base coat colours on 12 Fire Warriors. I thought I'd talk a bit about the colour scheme and bases etc and some other stuff I'm working on.

First I thought I'd cover the colour scheme. I've been doing a lot of thinking and trawling the internet and I came to the conclusion that there wasn't enough contrast in the colour scheme I had test run (back in post #4) and taking quite a bit from Lew_b81's fantastic winter themed drop troops I decided that instead of Dheneb Stone I would do the armour etc in white and some mechanical type bits in Stormvermin Fur. This would give more contrast between the under suit and the armour and between those parts and gun stocks etc. So here is one of the Fire Warriors in this new scheme prior to washes (I've since neatened him up but you get the idea):

Next up - bases. I realised pretty much straight away that the pic I showed of my initial basing ideas was really rather poor. I am still convinced this is the way to go so I've made more bases and taken a better photo:

Lastly I thought I should tell you about what I'm working on for the sept markings etc. Unfortunately I don't have any pics for this one. As you might remember I had decided I would do red sept markings. This gives me a bit of a problem because the GW transfers are basically just black and white so I was faced with free hand painting my own. I wasn't too bothered by the idea, more concerned that it would take some time to do something like 3 sept markings per Fire Warrior but also the larger stuff on battle suits and vehicles could be quite difficult. Anyway to cut the story short I've decided to do my own transfers. I've got some transfer paper and I've done a couple of tests. I'm now working on small sept markings for the footsloggers and thinking about larger designs. If anyone knows of some good examples please let me know.

Banned

Hmmmm...that head could have some potential. I think it would look a little too big on a regular crisis suit though. Maybe on the scaled up Enforcer version or something on that same scale, but who knows? Maybe a broadside or riptide could make use of it. I may, as is my custom, swipe the design and then fiddle with it a bit myself. All in all, it's a good neutral color scheme you've got going on. You've seen my log so you know I like the flashy tau schemes, but yours is shaping up to look like a nice cadre.

Bases: Maybe add some half-buried tiles from an ancient desert ruin? I think it could work very well and give your bases a touch of extra character. Just get a tube of plumber's putty (2 minute or 4 minute is best for this) and mash up a great big chunk of it. Take any kind of can or bottle like shaving cream or shampoo or whatever and roll it out nice and flat on a wet surface so it doesn't stick. Once it cures, peel the flat slab up and then slice it into squares with your hobby knife. Boom, you got tons of basing tiles.
    Last edited by bossfearless; 22-09-2013 at 23:10.

Chapter Master

I'm looking forward to seeing more! The addition of the waist on the Crisis suit is going to make a huge difference, and I'm really annoyed that I didn't see it! All future Crisis suits of mine will have waists (and I'm thinking about going back to my Commander to add one). Great spot.
    ON HIATUS - ROAD TRIPPING ROUND THE USA!
    MY ROAD TRIP BLOG

Follow me on Instagram: @miniature_lew

Tau Drop Troops Log <-- UPDATING REGULARLY
    My Ogre Maneater Log <-- UPDATING AT SOME POINT SOON MAYBE I PROMISE

Banned

Take it from me, it's a lot easier to do the cuts for a Crisis waist before the model is assembled. Post-assembly refits are a bit of a pain in the butt.

bossfearless, Lew_b81 - Thanks guys. The commander's head will have some reduction in the chin area so its more in line with the Forgeworld heads. This really is a special one off for the commander, future crisis suits will have more standard heads (but not totally stock obviously). Adding the waist has added to the height of this chap but also makes him more in proportion as well as a whole load more pose-able - my only problem now is whether to do it on future crisis suits. As bossfearless points out (from experience by the sounds of it) chopping the things up later isn't a great option. Anyway I'm happy to take my time with him to get it just right. The point on the bases is well taken, I'm thinking of ways to break them up, although many will be just sand. I'm thinking that eventually my Tau will fight my Orks (mostly a mass of grey sprue in a box) so maybe some Ork related junk could go on a few bases. Also thinking about the odd tuft of dead grass. I don't know really, just chucking ideas in. It looks like I've got 4 palm trees from the Jungle Trees I found, I'd like more but where to get them? The trees will go to commander, crisis suits or Kroot.

Painting on the Fire Warriors is being held up by the transfers, which I'm still working on, almost there on an A5 sheet. More on that soon, hopefully.

An additional note on the Crisis suit modification - the hips have a rectangular top section so I added a couple of little triangular pieces to the front of them (see the pics above). This allows a larger diameter disc to be used for the joint between the hips and the upper body, otherwise its limited to a disc that looks too narrow.

Its taken a while but I'm just about finished designing the transfer sheet. I did a test print last night and decided I could get more on as I wasn't using the whole width of the A5 sheet. I've mostly gone for very small line based symbols similar to the type of thing the official GW models have, but I've tried some larger and more creative stuff as well. I was intending to do a full A4 sheet but I think the A5 will be plenty for the models I've got planned, even allowing for about 3 per model. I'll do a final test print later and then go for it with the transfer 'paper'.

A quick picy update for you. I've finished the transfer sheet and printed and sprayed it. I've started to attach transfers to the Fire Warriors so I thought you might like to see some pics:

So this is the shoulder pad then helmet of one of the carbine guys and then one of a rifle dude who got the shoulder pad and helmet transfers the same as the first guy but also got one on his gun. It's going quite quickly so I think I'll be finished with the transfers on this group of 12 fire warriors tomorrow.

I just came back to check on what I put in my last post and realised I need to do an update soon as the Fire Warriors are looking very different now from those pics above. I've gone with Lew_b81's sponging technique and attacked them with some Stormvermin Fur (meant to be equivalent to Charadon Granite but isn't really an exact match, just as well I got a pot specifically for this army). I didn't do as much weathering as Lew and now that I've done the washes (Seraphim Sepia and Agrax Earthshade) the weathering is quite subtle. I've also just about finished detailing such as the Fire Caste symbol and lenses etc so almost complete. The one thing I need to decide on is whether to paint the pulse rifle ends in a glowy way or just leave them dark I've also done a bit more testing on bases and decided that the sand will be Dessert Yellow with a Bleached Bone drybrush. I've got some Woodland Scenics' field grass in Natural Straw and Harvest Gold to do some long grass on some bases - I felt the 2 colours were needed as either on its own might have been too uniform. Anyway pics soon, honest.

So I'm very nearly there on finishing the painting of the first 12 fire warriors. I have a problem though - I got on to painting the rims of the bases and merrily broke out the Steel Legion Drab, which is meant to be the new equivalent of Graveyard Earth that I have been using for my base rims for years. Anyway I did 2 bases and suddenly thought 'This doesn't look that good'. So the problem I have is what colour to use for the base edges. I'd like some help with this please so I've painted a base with a black rim and taken a pic of him with one of his buddies that I painted brown and one that is still the spray white so slightly greyish white:

What do you think? I'm wondering about a mid grey like whatever Codex Grey is now. Ideas welcome.

PS - comments on the Fire Warriors are welcome too.

Big update for you tonight. First ahead of posting them in the Tale of 40K Painters I have 12 finished Fire Warriors for you:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast