Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Give_me_a_D's Index Zenos

Re: Give_me_a_D's Index Zenos

And there's more:

This is a squad and a half - 8 guys with pulse rifles and 4 with carbines. I went with brown edges to the bases. After having all the samples lined up on my desk for a week and seeing them every day I finally decided a couple of days ago that the brown edged ones were the best.

and there's even more! In spare time over the last 3 weeks or so I've be putting together Pathfinders and I've finally got them all on bases:

With extra bits I've picked up I've been able to make 2 squads. The first is just 5 strong and has the 3 ion rifles. Their shas'ui has a cape from the High Elf archers, which fitted really well. The second is 8 strong and has carbines and markerlights. Their shas'ui has a little Tau symbol thing, which again was from the High Elf archers - a crescent shaped piece with the hole filled and a little scored line to make the symbol.

So a bit of a change for this post. Having been inspired if that is the right word by bossfearless I dismantled an old lightsaber toy with the aim of adding some swooshing type noises to a hammerhead. The next thing you know I'm ordering this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It arrived a couple of days ago. Why on earth are you ordering some weird little helicopter toys I hear you ask and the answer is because they have these:

They are very basic LED circuits pretty much made up of the LED, the 3 little batteries and a micro switch. This makes them really small, small enough to fit, with a bit of persuasion, into a hammerhead's railgun or ion cannon and maybe many other places as well. At a fraction under 50p each they are cheap as chips. The only downside is they are only blue. Looks like my hammerhead will have light and sound!

Banned

Ooooh, good times. Let me know how the sound turns out, very interested!

Re: Give_me_a_D's Index Xenos

So continuing on from my last post I spent some time yesterday fiddling about with one of the LED circuits and the ion cannon from my Hammerhead. I finally got the circuit to fit. I came up with the idea of using the rear ammo/power pack bit as the switch topper and the switch itself fits nicely in the rear of the gun, replacing a small part of at the top:

I also did a bit of drilling through the barrel to get the light to shine out the end of the gun. I think its a pretty good result. I've just held the two parts of the back half of the gun together and balanced the barrel in place here so there is quite a bit of light spilling out but still quite a good beam coming from the pointy end:

I want to do the same with the rail gun but with the barrel being open on the top and bottom I'm not sure how to direct the light along it and not just spill out from the back of the gun. Ideas anyone?

Painting progress - I've undercoated my Pathfinders and am about half way through painting trousers etc in Baneblade Brown. After that its on to the gun stocks etc in Stormvermin Fur.

Distractions of a different kind this week. I got hold of some bits and did this:

He is mainly based off of the body and arms of the Warhammer Empire battle wizard. I did some careful trimming on this left hand so he has the correct 3 fingers. The right hand is from some High Elf archers that I got ages ago for converting Eldar with, again carefully trimmed. His head is a spare from the Pathfinders. The blade for the honour blade is a High elf sword. I'm trying to decide whether he needs anything more before being based and going into the painting queue.

On the subject of painting I am making progress with the Pathfinders. No pics as half painted models aren't that interesting. Neatening up is taking longer than I'd thought it would so I may not be able to finish the full 13 I'd set out to do.

I'm preparing to post in this months Tale of 40K painters but I thought I'd post here first. These are the Pathfinders I have been working on. Not quite as many as I'd hoped - I have another 2 about half painted as well as the drones which are base coated. As Photobucket has changed things again I can't find how you change sizes of uploaded photos atm so they may be a bit small, who knows? (Edit - Not too bad actually)

I thought I'd show the more or less finished conversion work that I've done on my battlesuit commander:

So from the feet upwards -
    The feet have had the toes lengthened slightly with a layer of plasticard. They have also had a vertical line added to give a bit of detail.
    The legs have seen quite major work with the lower parts being replaced completely with bits taken from a flamer and target lock. The upper legs have been chopped and then lengthened with plasticard by about 1.5mm
    The body I've talked about before but the big change here is obviously the waist, which adds a fair bit to the height. I've also added plasticard to various bits to try to add to the triangular shape as well as a stealth shoulder pad with the fire warrior symbol. I've also filled the slots on the jet pack and added magnets for additional systems - so far only a target lock but I will add to that.
    For the weapons I had previously magnetised them so I just added another fusion blaster to give an alternative.
    The arms got similar work to the legs to generally lengthen them and repose. I added to the bottom of the shoulder and to the fore arm with plasticard.
    The head is one part I may change as I had been working on a stealth/forgeworld inspired long sloping version but I've hit a bit of 'writer's block' on that right now. I've added to the standard head with some pulse rifle sights on the cheeks and (although not visible in the pic) a bit of plasticard at the back to just length the head and give a slightly different shape. It's also magnetised.

I will be finishing him off today with a view to painting starting tomorrow and finishing by about Wednesday next week. I'll try to do a shot or two of him once he's put together.
    Last edited by give_me_a_d; 02-01-2014 at 14:27.

So after a little more filling of holes (liquid greenstuff to the rescue!) and some careful gluing I now have a completely put together battlesuit commander:

I think I forgot to mention that I had put together 2 shield drones for him. They are just made from standard gun drones with crisis suit shield generators on the bottom and the bottom part from old EPIC banner poles. I'm going to disguise the wire stand with some long grass once they're painted.

Well it took a bit longer than I originally planned but I have now finished my battlesuit commander:

I'm rather pleased with I have to say. The eagle eyed amongst you will notice that he is standing slightly lower on his rock than before he was painted. This was not actually due to an accident, although I did knock him over a couple of times during which all that happened was his right foot came off, so I took this as a hint that he maybe a bit on the tall side. He now stands about 9cm rather than 10cm tall. Painting wise it was all very easy really, the trickiest bit being getting all the transfers to stay on (there are 21 in total on him and his drone buddies). I think the grass disguising the wires for the drones has worked well so I think I'll try it again in the future. Talking of the future I'm planning on painting up my first vehicle in the shape of a Devilfish/ Sky Ray that I have about a third of the way assembled. It won't be getting that much in the way of conversion or lights etc, just a blue underlight, which will hopefully look pretty good.

C&C always welcome
    Last edited by give_me_a_d; 15-01-2014 at 18:23.

As always I enjoy your work. I think Weathered Tau is something that if done correctly is very effective. I think so far your off to a fantastic start. Your conversions are spot on! And I LOVE, Love, Love the re-posed commander.
    The only real criticism I have is that his read head seems like it could use a highlight? or is that the photo and there is one and its just not showing up? Great work as always.
    The 75th Logres Prime Ice Drakes:
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96543

Those drone bases are absolutely brilliant. I'm so copying this idea.

So two questions:

1) What wire do you use - it's so thin, but presumably very sturdy?
    2) How are you making the grass, or where did you get it?
    My blog collects all my modelling projects in one place. Head to From The Wastes for more.

Tanelorn Wargames Club
    meets every Thursday and Sunday in Leytonstone, East London. We play Blood Bowl, 40k, Warhammer, Malifaux, Warmachine and more.

razormasticator - Thanks mate. There is a highlight on the red but it got knocked down with the washes so is very subtle, the pics aren't the best either. I'm pretty happy with it as it is but I might see if I can just raise it a little on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Fold View Post
    Those drone bases are absolutely brilliant. I'm so copying this idea.

So two questions:

1) What wire do you use - it's so thin, but presumably very sturdy?
    2) How are you making the grass, or where did you get it?
    1) The wire comes from cable ties. I seem to collect quite a few and have gone for the the stiffest ones, although actually it doesn't have to be that strong as these are only drones we're talking about. I've dropped them both a couple of times, from some height as well, and they haven't been too badly affected. One got something dropped on it and it took a bit of careful straightening. I'm going to use some steel wire I have, which came from a florist I think, for other heavier stuff. I used it for my Plague Drones in my Chaos thread and its not that much thicker than the wire for the drones but super strong.
    2) The grass I got from a local model train shop and is Woodland Scenics' field grass. I got 2 different packs - Natural Straw and Harvest Gold to give a bit of randomness to it, as they are a bit too light and too yellowy respectively. Its pretty cheap, something like 3 a pack and you get loads. If you compare that with GW's Mordheim turf for instance at 8 I think its good value. It comes in lengths of about 7cm long and is actually quite tricky to work with. So far the best way I've found is to get a small bunch of each colour, roll them between my thumb and finger to get them a bit mixed and then carefully apply a small spot of superglue in the middle. Once its dry I cut through the superglue and that gives 2 tufts of grass about 3-4cm long, which is plenty long enough to allow for cutting down to the right length.

Construction of the Sky Ray is coming along, should be ready to spray it at the weekend.

While I'm waiting for it to dry up a bit outside so I can spray I thought I'd give you some pics of the completed Skyray. First we have the front weapon/ sensor mount that I have magnetised so I can swap between a Devilfish with the burst cannon and the Skyray with the sensor.

Here is the missile rack with missiles attached and showing the small bits of wire and magnets used for attaching them. I have to say it took a lot long than I had anticipated to put all of the rack and missiles together.

And finally a rather dark shot of the underlighting. I've cut through where there is the shape of a roundish hatch on the bottom, just in front of the internal door. I've also cut a small hole through at the bottom of the internal door. This means that I can easily turn the light on and off as the circuit and switch is in the rear troop compartment, I can swap out the whole thing as and when the battery dies (and while painting) and also the light is only shining out of the middle of the under side.

I've also magnetised the back hatch so it can be opened but otherwise stays closed.

So its been a while since I've posted anything and really its just because I haven't got anything worth showing right now - The Skyray is coming along nicely with most of the sub-assemblies finished with basic colours and the hull just about there on the white base coat. Its taking a while as there are a lot of large areas and its taking a good few coats to get a good white all over. Anyway I think I'll be finished next weekend.

After that I had been planning to get the piranhas painted up but then I went and did something rather rash and this guy turned up in the post:

In other news I have now officially been in the hobby for 25 years - I can't really remember when I started but the oldest White Dwarf I have is no.110 from February 1989.

Quote Originally Posted by give_me_a_d View Post
    So its been a while since I've posted anything and really its just because I haven't got anything worth showing right now - The Skyray is coming along nicely with most of the sub-assemblies finished with basic colours and the hull just about there on the white base coat. Its taking a while as there are a lot of large areas and its taking a good few coats to get a good white all over. Anyway I think I'll be finished next weekend.

After that I had been planning to get the piranhas painted up but then I went and did something rather rash and this guy turned up in the post:

In other news I have now officially been in the hobby for 25 years - I can't really remember when I started but the oldest White Dwarf I have is no.110 from February 1989.
    Congrats on 25 years! I started 40K in 1989 myself. Rouge Trader days veteran here as well.
    The 75th Logres Prime Ice Drakes:
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96543

Quote Originally Posted by razormasticator View Post
    Congrats on 25 years! I started 40K in 1989 myself. Rouge Trader days veteran here as well.
    Thanks mate.

I'm just finishing off the Skyray and will be posting pics very soon. I was intending to get pics of it up at the pre-wash stage but didn't fit it in.

Right so the paint is still drying but I have pics.

First the Skyray from various angles:

And with lights:

And bits swapped out for the Devilfish:

I'm not sure where March went to - we're now at the beginning of April and I'm still someway off finishing the Stealth suits. If I can get a couple of good sessions in over the weekend I should finish them the following week. I'm going with a dark colour scheme with most of the model being the dark brown/grey colour and the main other colour is Adeptus Battle Grey.

This time of the year is traditionally when I start thinking about future painting plans. Although I had come up with a plan and an army list that I was aiming to complete in the year of the Tale of 40K painters it hasn't worked out quite as planned. I've made several additional purchases (Riptide above and Broadsides) that mean I won't finish everything. I had a vague notion that I might move on to Orks for the next year of the Tale starting in September as it seems a commonly held belief that they will be getting a new codex (or 5 knowing GW, I'm rather hoping for a speed freaks dex) in the next few months. What I think I may end up doing is splitting the year half and half between Tau and Orks, in that order. That should give me enough time to finish off the additional stuff for my Tau but should also mean that I won't have to wait too long to indulge in shinny new plastic. Anyway there's plenty of time to come up with a plan.

I've just posted pics of my stealthsuits that I've finally finished over in the Tale thread for this month. Here are some bigger versions of the pics:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast