Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Give_me_a_D's Index Zenos

Re: Give_me_a_D's Index Zenos

Your Tau are spectacular sir. Great color scheme. Are you still working on the Ethereal? I'd had an idea for a conversion like that, but wasn't sure if it would work...seeing yours makes me confident that it could.

Can't wait to see more.

Quote Originally Posted by Phatsquirre1 View Post
    Your Tau are spectacular sir. Great color scheme. Are you still working on the Ethereal? I'd had an idea for a conversion like that, but wasn't sure if it would work...seeing yours makes me confident that it could.

Can't wait to see more.
    Thanks buddy. I haven't got much further with the Ethereal, just covered him in red paint as a start. The wizard model lends itself very well to conversion to an ethereal, the tricky bit is trimming a finger of hands if you use the wizard's human hands or similar. Of course there are plenty of spare hands on the Pathfinder sprue which could be an option.

I've decided that I will finish off the Ethereal and then move on to the big suits. This will get me back on track for posting in the Tale of 40k Painters - as I'm a bit ahead on my points painting target I can afford a smaller month that I can finish quickly. Hopefully have some pics soon.

Re: Give_me_a_D's Index Xenos

I've finished the Ethereal. I decided to go with a gun drone and a shield drone, although I have made up a second shield drone that I will paint up at some point. Next up will be the Riptide.

Nice Ethereal, especially liking the robes...he looks as if he is contemplating something.

Also, was the tau lettering freehand or are they transfers?

Quote Originally Posted by Phatsquirre1 View Post
    Nice Ethereal, especially liking the robes...he looks as if he is contemplating something.

Also, was the tau lettering freehand or are they transfers?
    Thanks mate. The letters are transfers, from the GW sheet. I cut long strips of the smallest letters and applied them in one go but using a sharp knife to cut across the strip so the lettering would follow the folds and contours of the fabric. It worked incredibly well and I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I don't think I could have managed to paint lettering that neatly at that size.
    Last edited by give_me_a_d; 15-06-2014 at 12:31.

It's been over a month and I really meant to put up some photos before now of the WIP of my Riptide. Anyway he is now finished and here are the pics to prove it.

I've set him up so he can take either main weapon but I've only painted the ion accelerator so far. I've also got the choice between twin linked SMS and fusion blasters as in these 2 pics:

Here is the first part of a 360 with the SMS on:

Second part:

I painted it in a about 12 sub-assemblies and stuck him together at the end. I mercilessly chopped the Honoured Imperium statue in half and built the sand dune against it with off cuts of plasticard. You may notice that the shoulder pad is on upside-down, this was an accident but it looks pretty good, although it did mean I had to be a bit creative when attaching the shield - set at more of a 4 o'clock position on the arm rather than the standard 3 o'clock position.

Up next I think will be a bunch of random models - fire warriors, pathfinders, drones. They are all put together and painted to some extent but some way from being finished. I'm also going to start putting together my Sunshark Bomber, including the option of the Razorshark Strike Fighter. I'm not around for quite a bit of July so the bomber probably won't see much paint until August.

As I seem to be making good progress with my collection of 'still to do' bits I thought I'd give you a pic of them to show you what I'm up to.

Here we have (from left to right) a fire warrior, a pathfinder with rail rifle, a pathfinder, a shield drone, a fire warrior with pulse carbine, another fire warrior, the recon drone for the pathfinders and finally another pathfinder. They are all at the weathering stage now with the sponging done and the washes still to come. I think I'll be on track to finish these by about Wednesday, certainly this week.

I've started to put together my sunshark/ razorshark that will be my next project. No pics as yet as I haven't got to any interesting bits by which I mean bits where I'm doing something different from the standard 'straight out of the box' construction. I hope to have it all put together by the beginning of next week. As I said in the last post I'm going to be variously busy/away during much of July so I really want to get as far along with the plane as I can.

Finally for this post I thought I'd show a close-up of some of the lettering on the Riptide. This goes along the torso under the right arm and isn't that obvious in the pics I've shared so far. If you could see the whole of it you would see it says 'Shas'len'ra' in the Tau script which means 'Cautious Warrior'.

I'm getting better at predicting how long it will take me to finish painting stuff up. If proof were needed here is the selection of stuff I've been painting up finished as predicted in my last post on Wednesday. This is some fire warriors, pathfinders and drones that were all my 'still to do' in past months of the Tale of 40K Painters. I'm particularly pleased with the grass disguising the wire for the drones especially the recon drone as it got the thicker wire I usually use to pin stuff with. It's not hugely exciting so just front and back views and a group shot.

Fire Warriors:

Pathfinders, including their recon drone:

The group shot that also includes the added shield drone for my Ethereal so he can have 2 or stick with the shield drone and gun drone I did originally:

Last edited by give_me_a_d; 25-06-2014 at 20:53.

I've also been doing some cutting and sticking. I've now completed the sunshark/ razorshark to the point where, by the GW instructions you should decide which its going to be. As I've said I want to set it up so I can swap between the two. It's proving tricky as there are quite a few parts that need to swap about but I think I've got it sorted in my mind. I do know for sure that its going to take a load of magnets and careful checking all the way through. Anyway on to the point of doing this separate post the pics. These are just to show what I've done with the bars that, if constructed as per GW's instructions, would join the wings to the tail. I wasn't sure about that so I mocked it up and sure enough I didn't like it. I decided to chop out a section and still use them as not using them at all would have left gaps in the wings. The slots on the top will be filled as will the corresponding slots on the tail fins. Anyway a closeup from below and a wider top shot:

Last edited by give_me_a_d; 25-06-2014 at 21:06.

A bit of an update, but no pics (sorry). I finished doing the magnetisation for changing between the bomber and the fighter. It turned out to be quite easy actually. I've moved on now and everything is basecoated with white and just about all the bits (drones etc) have been painted with Stormvermin Fur. I've also sorted out the base where I'm using the obelisk from the Arcane Ruins scenery set as the flight stand. I'm very pleased with the progress I've made as it should mean that I'm on track to finish in time to post in the new Tale of 40K Painters thread at the beginning of August. That's still some time away but I'm not going to get much of a chance to paint for the next couple of weeks so it could still be tight.

I'd rather hoped that this would be a post to show off the finished Sunshark/ Razor shark but unfortunately not. Although I have probably got further than I might have hoped a month ago I haven't finished the flyer as I've still got the washes and details to do on the model itself and all the painting and adding of grass for the base. However I do have pictures so first up is it in Sunshark mode:

As I haven't got the thing mounted on the base yet it is balanced on 3 jetbike stands

Next is the flyer in Razor shark mode:

and finally what has to be one of the least interesting photos ever - the base. I've deliberately over exposed this a bit to get some definition to show up and so it doesn't just look like a black lump.

I have to say I'm really rather pleased with it all. I think my changes to get it to switch between the 2 models work well. I like the bits and bobs to turn it into a sort of massive drone. I'm also quite pleased with the base, particularly how I cut the obelisk and patched it up to make it look like the top chunk has fallen off. There wasn't really enough room on the base to do anything else but I would have liked to have some deeper dunes and possibly had the top part buried more. The one thing I'm not so happy with is that it all the bits fit really tightly because f being a good fit to start with and then being painted so changing it between one form and the other is not easy.

Anyway comments welcome.

A little update for you - I'm well into the washes now on the flyer with just the underside of the plane itself to wash with seraphim sepia, which means with any luck I will get the washes finished by the end of Saturday. The remaining details and base will take another couple of days after that so projected finish will be Wednesday next week. I still haven't quite worked out the details of how I'm going to attach the plane to the base yet but we'll deal with that when we get there.

In other news I've signed up for the next year of the Tale of 40k Painters (sign up thread here - http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...Sign-Up-Thread). I would encourage anyone think of trying the Tale to give it a shot. I hardly had anything painted before starting and now I've got a combined Chaos force of about 5000pts painted up. It has also do wonders for my painting ability. I'll be trying to finish off my Tau, about 1000pts worth, which will include fire warriors, kroot, crisis suits, Long Strike and a railhead, Piranhas and Broadsides. When I started the Tau it was meant to be a one year project but I kept buying stuff such as the Riptide and the flyer so I'm in for another year. However, as long as GW don't bring out any new stuff for Tau, then what I have left should keep me busy for more or less the next year. I was tempted to try to do another force as well (Orks, Eldar, CSM, Daemons) but I've tried that and failed. I would very much like to do my Orks as I have a ton of them and they are all, bar a couple of testers, grey plastic. If this next year goes well I'll try to construct a load of Ork stuff to set me up for the following year.

I've finally managed to complete the flyer. Here it is in the Sunshark bomber set up:

And here it is in the Razor shark set up:

This is the alternative air caste disc on the Razor shark:

I'm still in the process of doing stands for the interceptor drones. I'm using the thicker steel wire I have so I can reliably pop them on and off - the thin wire I usually use for drones is no where near strong enough for that. I've also started work on the missile drones for the Broadsides that will make up the points for the last month of the Tale of 40K Painters - I'm doing just enough to reach my 1500pts target. As tomorrow is a holiday in the UK and the forecast is for more or less solid rain all day I should be able to make some good progress on the drones. I might even finish them next weekend. The Broadsides themselves will have to wait until the next year of the Tale (September).

Wierd that this thread is still unranked. I think you deserve at leas a 4. (EDIT - it seems my vote was the one needed to get the thread a ranking.)

Always nice to see people going above and beyond on the bases. it can really improve the model. The pins for drones hidden inside shrubberies are really clever.
    It seems like the meleeweapon of the etheral is a bit crooked though. I don't know how difficult it might be to get it strait though, but a not too hard pin should do the trick since you can reposition the blade slightly even if your drilling isn't 100% straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holier Than Thou View Post
    Is it a good game design feature that a goblin is considered equal to a Dragon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaric View Post
    Yes under the circumstance the tribe could be of dragon hunters is a device capture/bring down a dragon a impossibility?
    [Heresy Era 30k] The Eaters of Worlds Children of a savage messiah, Waagh K.F.O.R.K - My Orks, The log on my ever growing undead horde

Quote Originally Posted by Zywus View Post
    Wierd that this thread is still unranked. I think you deserve at leas a 4. (EDIT - it seems my vote was the one needed to get the thread a ranking.)

Always nice to see people going above and beyond on the bases. it can really improve the model. The pins for drones hidden inside shrubberies are really clever.
    It seems like the meleeweapon of the etheral is a bit crooked though. I don't know how difficult it might be to get it strait though, but a not too hard pin should do the trick since you can reposition the blade slightly even if your drilling isn't 100% straight.
    Thanks Zywus. I'm quite pleased with a 4 star rank, maybe I'll get a few more views. The blade of the ethereal's is slightly crooked, you're right. It looks worse from some angles as the blade slopes on one side but is straight on the other. I'll have a go at fixing it but I'm not really that bothered as it's not that noticeable in real life - its just in photos you see details like that that you miss otherwise.

Love the scheme and the general wear and tear weathering looks really effective! I like the simple bases too, keeps the focus on the models themselves. Very smart use of long grass, well done

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast