Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Eldar - Exarch Powers

Re: Eldar - Exarch Powers

Quote Originally Posted by DoomedToRepeatIt View Post
    ...I hadn't even thought of that. There is a risk though -- if you scatter badly back on your own squad, the AP4 is defeating your own armor. Good idea, but employ with care.
    With BS5 the maximum scatter would be 7", if you throw from near maximum range you would have to be very unlucky to touch your own squad.
    If you love something, set it on fire. If it comes back, it....
    Hang on, is that right?
    Damn! Be right back!

Quote Originally Posted by Karhedron View Post
    With BS5 the maximum scatter would be 7", if you throw from near maximum range you would have to be very unlucky to touch your own squad.
    Absolutely. And I would also imagine if your resorting to throwing grenades about you'd likely have a shield on the squad. Ok so 5++ won't get you far but it's something...

Banned

i only got the codex today. and my first conclusion is that exarch powers are a complete dogs dinner. just plain awful.

for example. why would asurman give up a load of attacks to gain 1 pip of invulnerable?

Quote Originally Posted by djhowitzer View Post
    i only got the codex today. and my first conclusion is that exarch powers are a complete dogs dinner. just plain awful.

for example. why would asurman give up a load of attacks to gain 1 pip of invulnerable?
    There are some weird ones, sure. This one can be handy on a regular exarch, though, especially if he doesn't have a shimmershield - losing 1-2 attacks for a 3++ save can be useful at times. The banshee exarch with executioner can also reasonably want to up her defense in case she's reduced to I1 (because some smartass decided masks were being too good). Some of the powers are also mismatched - +1 LD screams dire avengers to me, and yet their exarch gets 2 powers that give him inv. save AND has wargear that gives 5++ to the entire squad.

Still, there are some very good ones. Crushing blow and stalker are awesome on scorpions, dragon, spider and reaper exarchs can get some good mileage out of fast shot, marksman's eye opens some possibilities for the hawk exarch, and hit and run is viable on most aspects who can get it - spears, obviously, but spiders with their insane move distance can also be used as a surprise lockdown unit for an exposed unit of, say, havocs (pity about the power blade nerf). Overall, I'd say at least half of the exarch powers can be useful at least some of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthMcBob View Post
    New Rule:

Lament of the Fallen: Roll a d6. On a 1+, skip your turn, as you stand around thinking about how you will never be an Ultramarine.

Strategy. You may want to stay stuck in combat for a turn, thus you need to do less damage and survive. Then finish them off and sweep in their turn so you can shoot again or not get shot, as the case may be.

You may have a FMC in a Challenge, but if he kills you or wins combat, your entire army will get rolled. Holding him there all game will do way more good than the 1W you'd do back to him with the extra attacks.

Holding or sand bagging, mostly. And not all the powers are bad. Many of them are very situational, but you need to plan on what your squad's mission is in order to make those situations common.
    Plus, Disarming Strike and Fast Shot are pretty rad, IMO.
    Last edited by Spellduckwrong; 28-06-2013 at 03:31.

Couple of quick questions:

1. Infiltrating Wave Serpents via scorpions: Worth it, situational or so bad that you should just deploy them normally?

2. Guardian Defender squads in a Wave Serpent: What Heavy Weapon platform would you give them? I'm tossing up between Starcannon and Brightlance (I do have quite a bit of Shuriken Cannons and Scatter Lasers already, I do have some fire dragons, Crimson Hunter and a falcon in the list as well)

3. Warlocks/ Farseer on bikes: Anyone have a good conversion guide/ example that they could share? I'm a bit daunted by the idea of trying to sculpt a great deal, and I know full well that if I put any robes near the Jet intakes a certain regular opponent of mine will start going on the 'no capes' rant from the Incredibles. Whilst not a bad thing, it will get annoying after the 5th time.

4. List building: Because of the number of options in the new dex and (current) lack of 'must haves', how are people going about making their lists?
    Quote Originally Posted by IcedAnimals View Post
    *hey nun wearing similiar gothic fashion, crusading in the name of the same god emperor we both believe in and who also hates psykers. Get out of our way, we have a xeno psychic tea party to get to.*
    Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Emperor
    He's a decent chap, but I wouldn't want him to marry my daughter

Quote Originally Posted by Athlan na Dyr View Post

1. Infiltrating Wave Serpents via scorpions: Worth it, situational or so bad that you should just deploy them normally?

2. Guardian Defender squads in a Wave Serpent: What Heavy Weapon platform would you give them? I'm tossing up between Starcannon and Brightlance (I do have quite a bit of Shuriken Cannons and Scatter Lasers already, I do have some fire dragons, Crimson Hunter and a falcon in the list as well)

3. Warlocks/ Farseer on bikes: Anyone have a good conversion guide/ example that they could share? I'm a bit daunted by the idea of trying to sculpt a great deal, and I know full well that if I put any robes near the Jet intakes a certain regular opponent of mine will start going on the 'no capes' rant from the Incredibles. Whilst not a bad thing, it will get annoying after the 5th time.

4. List building: Because of the number of options in the new dex and (current) lack of 'must haves', how are people going about making their lists?
    1. Never tried it. I guess it would be kinda funny, but very situational to do with any success.

2. I run mine with bright lances. This makes mounted guardians in a SL serpent a threat to anything and everything. AT, AA, and Anti Infantry. There's nothing this squad can't handle. All for 255 points. Bargain.

3. I've seen the new farseer model converted to go on a bike. He'd be a good place to start. Other than that, try picking a warlock model that looks easy. Cut at the waist and glue onto jetbikers legs. Green stuff to make it look better/add some more robes over the legs.

4. I like to experiment. I have a few models that I include in most/all of my lists. Then I looks towards a theme. Mechdar/gunline/elfzilla

Banned

searching for a silver lining does not male the exarch powers any more of an afterthought.

yes, fast shot and disarm are indeed good.

however, if you are basing a strategy on a t3a4 model passing 3+ all game you are onto a loser. my point being, stuff that is so situational is a waste of points.

while i am at it - remnants of eldar glory. does anyone have any use for these? and i do mean real use, not one in 25 games use. eg. 48 inch move feather. why didnt you just give the model a jetbike? which is cheaper, makes you tougher and wil move you most of that distance in a turn anyway?

i dont want to be all negative. there is plenty of god stuff in there. just not this stuff.

while i am at it - remnants of eldar glory. does anyone have any use for these? and i do mean real use, not one in 25 games use. eg. 48 inch move feather. why didnt you just give the model a jetbike? which is cheaper, makes you tougher and wil move you most of that distance in a turn anyway?
    A couple are quite good. The Spirit Stone is good on a Jetseer. It does not matter if he gives up his 4++ save so much as the bike gives him a 3+ save plus a jink save.

The other obvious one is an Autarch with laser lance, jetbike and Mantle of the Lauging God. You have a guy who is faster than almost anything else in the game, has a 2+ rerollable cover save and gets 5 S6 AP3 attacks on the charge. This guy can munch on your opponent's support units all day long. And if your opponent actually tries to shoot at him they only have a 1/36 chance of getting through his save. That is a lot of firepower not going at the rest of your army.
    Hang on, is that right?
    Damn! Be right back!

I always take an Exarch with my Swooping Hawks. BS5 is a big difference when you drop the templates down.

In my last game, I killed a record-breaking 27 Tau Firewarriors/Pathfinders and a flier in a single movement phase.

It's the highest number of models I've ever killed in my movement phase.

Hmm, I can imagine this being quite useful. But I think that Outflank might be even better. The chance to bring on all those guns from the side of the board at a crucial moment could be golden. Great for getting at side/rear armour.

There was a conversion guide in White Dwarf some years ago that I used. I don't have the issue anymore unfortunately but there is a pic here of someone who has followed the same way of doing it.

You start with the warlock with singing spear and chop him in half at the waist. Remove the arm with shuriken pistol. Then use the legs and arm from a normal jetbike rider to complete. It was hard work hacking the white-metal but would probably be easier now you can do it in resin.,

http://bigboxofeldar.blogspot.co.uk/...ike-wip-2.html

Pick a unit or theme that appeals to you and work from there. There are fewer poor units compared to the old codex which should mean more viable lists (hopefully).
    Hang on, is that right?
    Damn! Be right back!

This should go in the Tactica Thread, but I'll bite.

1. Bad -- no assault ramp. Useful for Outflanking though, as Karhedron stated.

2. I think you're wasting the range of most weapons by sticking them in a Serpent; you don't see Marine players putting lascannon-carriers inside Razorbacks, after all. I'd go for shuriken cannons, where the relatively short range of the gun isn't an issue because you'll be dumping off close to use the catapults anyway, or scatter lasers, simply because their rate of fire is so awesome. Now that they don't cost an arm and a leg, starcannons are once again pretty good (though I long for the days of Heavy 3), but I think they're better off employed en masse via war walkers or Vypers.

3. I'd recommend using the new plastic Farseer as a base, since it's a lot easier to work with then the old white metal models. Chapter House used to make a conversion kit, but I don't know if it's still available, what with all the litigation going on between them and GW.

4. It's really all about how you want your army to operate. I've seen lists that look like good builds on paper that all-foot, all-mech, all-Wraith, or a mix of two. Just like any other balanced codex, it's really about to just ensuring that you've got all of the basics covered (mobility, durability, and firepower).
    I am an Iraq War Veteran and proud of my profession.

Imperial: Purge the Weak
    Xenos: Phoenix Pattern Engaged
    Chaos: We are Legion

Banned

look left.

take warlock holding sword vertical to ground with right arm.
    take one jetbike
    take some green stuff.

chop of both warlock arms
    chop warlock in half use a razorsaw for both jobs
    stick normal legs on jetbike.
    cut off warlock hand
    cut of jetbike handlebars and turn round.
    cut off jetbike hand.
    stick warlock on jetbike at a slight angle.
    stick left arm back on. stick hand on arm and hand on handlebar and handlebar on jetbike at same time.
    stick right arm on.
    make cloak out of green stuff.

et viola!

I think 11 guardians with a scatter laser is pretty decent for a wave serpent, or 10 guardians, a platform, and a warlock with a singing spear. Makes it a bit more expensive, but slightly more survivable (and hilarious, depending on the power you roll).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Rose View Post
    I'd be tempted to take [Fuegan] twice and hope no-one noticed…
    ("what? No, that's his twin brother Fuego, the immortal flame. Yes they do look a lot alike, they're twins…")

Actually, wouldn't 20 guardians with 2 platforms and a warlock with conceal be more survivable as long as you park them in cover? Ok, some guardians will die, but you may still keep 2 platforms and a fair few extra bodies by the time the first shooting round clears. Somewhere around 250 points will give you 20 guardians, 2 scatter laser/brightlance/starcannon platform and a warlock. That seems pretty decent imo, especially with some Ld-booster around.
    Last edited by Shamana; 01-07-2013 at 22:34.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthMcBob View Post
    New Rule:

Lament of the Fallen: Roll a d6. On a 1+, skip your turn, as you stand around thinking about how you will never be an Ultramarine.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamana View Post
    Actually, wouldn't 20 guardians with 2 platforms and a warlock with conceal be more survivable as long as you park them in cover? Ok, some guardians will die, but you may still keep 2 platforms and a fair few extra bodies by the time the first shooting round clears. Somewhere around 250 points will give you 20 guardians, 2 scatter laser/brightlance/starcannon platform and a warlock. That seems pretty decent imo, especially with some Ld-booster around.
    I mean, yeah, if you want to do that you can, but my thought process is that if you take Guardian squads for the heavy weapons, you're spending ~110 points per anti-tank weapon. Sure they're tough to hit from a distance, but some outflanking flamers will eat them alive. I'd rather my 90 points in guns see use. I mean, c'mon. It's about 300 points if you attach a warlock for 7TL S6 shots, d6+1 T/L S7 shots, 18 S4 Rending shots, 4 S6 rending shots. If you take the spear, you get to throw that, and depending on the psychic power you roll...

1) Conceal/Reveal - Disembark them, shoot 12", fall back into cover. Laugh as your opponent can neither effectively shoot nor assault your guardians. I'd swap Enhance, the Fearless, or quicken power for this one.
    2) If you get the strength-boosting power, congratulations. You hit like a space marine at a higher initiative.
    3) Destructor is pretty ideal for this, for obvious reasons.

I don't even remember what the last RoB poiwer is off-hand, but even if it's bad you can just swap it for Conceal. I feel like you'll probably get more out of your points, this way. I'd run it more often, but I don't like mechanized armies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Rose View Post
    I'd be tempted to take [Fuegan] twice and hope no-one noticed…
    ("what? No, that's his twin brother Fuego, the immortal flame. Yes they do look a lot alike, they're twins…")

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3