i only got the codex today. and my first conclusion is that exarch powers are a complete dogs dinner. just plain awful.
for example. why would asurman give up a load of attacks to gain 1 pip of invulnerable?
Still, there are some very good ones. Crushing blow and stalker are awesome on scorpions, dragon, spider and reaper exarchs can get some good mileage out of fast shot, marksman's eye opens some possibilities for the hawk exarch, and hit and run is viable on most aspects who can get it - spears, obviously, but spiders with their insane move distance can also be used as a surprise lockdown unit for an exposed unit of, say, havocs (pity about the power blade nerf). Overall, I'd say at least half of the exarch powers can be useful at least some of the time.
You may have a FMC in a Challenge, but if he kills you or wins combat, your entire army will get rolled. Holding him there all game will do way more good than the 1W you'd do back to him with the extra attacks.
Last edited by Spellduckwrong; 28-06-2013 at 04:31.
Couple of quick questions:
1. Infiltrating Wave Serpents via scorpions: Worth it, situational or so bad that you should just deploy them normally?
2. Guardian Defender squads in a Wave Serpent: What Heavy Weapon platform would you give them? I'm tossing up between Starcannon and Brightlance (I do have quite a bit of Shuriken Cannons and Scatter Lasers already, I do have some fire dragons, Crimson Hunter and a falcon in the list as well)
3. Warlocks/ Farseer on bikes: Anyone have a good conversion guide/ example that they could share? I'm a bit daunted by the idea of trying to sculpt a great deal, and I know full well that if I put any robes near the Jet intakes a certain regular opponent of mine will start going on the 'no capes' rant from the Incredibles. Whilst not a bad thing, it will get annoying after the 5th time.
4. List building: Because of the number of options in the new dex and (current) lack of 'must haves', how are people going about making their lists?
2. I run mine with bright lances. This makes mounted guardians in a SL serpent a threat to anything and everything. AT, AA, and Anti Infantry. There's nothing this squad can't handle. All for 255 points. Bargain.
3. I've seen the new farseer model converted to go on a bike. He'd be a good place to start. Other than that, try picking a warlock model that looks easy. Cut at the waist and glue onto jetbikers legs. Green stuff to make it look better/add some more robes over the legs.
4. I like to experiment. I have a few models that I include in most/all of my lists. Then I looks towards a theme. Mechdar/gunline/elfzilla
searching for a silver lining does not male the exarch powers any more of an afterthought.
yes, fast shot and disarm are indeed good.
however, if you are basing a strategy on a t3a4 model passing 3+ all game you are onto a loser. my point being, stuff that is so situational is a waste of points.
while i am at it - remnants of eldar glory. does anyone have any use for these? and i do mean real use, not one in 25 games use. eg. 48 inch move feather. why didnt you just give the model a jetbike? which is cheaper, makes you tougher and wil move you most of that distance in a turn anyway?
i dont want to be all negative. there is plenty of god stuff in there. just not this stuff.
The other obvious one is an Autarch with laser lance, jetbike and Mantle of the Lauging God. You have a guy who is faster than almost anything else in the game, has a 2+ rerollable cover save and gets 5 S6 AP3 attacks on the charge. This guy can munch on your opponent's support units all day long. And if your opponent actually tries to shoot at him they only have a 1/36 chance of getting through his save. That is a lot of firepower not going at the rest of your army.
Beer for the beer god!
Cider for the porcelain throne!
I always take an Exarch with my Swooping Hawks. BS5 is a big difference when you drop the templates down.
In my last game, I killed a record-breaking 27 Tau Firewarriors/Pathfinders and a flier in a single movement phase.
It's the highest number of models I've ever killed in my movement phase.
You start with the warlock with singing spear and chop him in half at the waist. Remove the arm with shuriken pistol. Then use the legs and arm from a normal jetbike rider to complete. It was hard work hacking the white-metal but would probably be easier now you can do it in resin.,
Beer for the beer god!
Cider for the porcelain throne!
This should go in the Tactica Thread, but I'll bite.
1. Bad -- no assault ramp. Useful for Outflanking though, as Karhedron stated.
2. I think you're wasting the range of most weapons by sticking them in a Serpent; you don't see Marine players putting lascannon-carriers inside Razorbacks, after all. I'd go for shuriken cannons, where the relatively short range of the gun isn't an issue because you'll be dumping off close to use the catapults anyway, or scatter lasers, simply because their rate of fire is so awesome. Now that they don't cost an arm and a leg, starcannons are once again pretty good (though I long for the days of Heavy 3), but I think they're better off employed en masse via war walkers or Vypers.
3. I'd recommend using the new plastic Farseer as a base, since it's a lot easier to work with then the old white metal models. Chapter House used to make a conversion kit, but I don't know if it's still available, what with all the litigation going on between them and GW.
4. It's really all about how you want your army to operate. I've seen lists that look like good builds on paper that all-foot, all-mech, all-Wraith, or a mix of two. Just like any other balanced codex, it's really about to just ensuring that you've got all of the basics covered (mobility, durability, and firepower).
I am an Iraq War Veteran and proud of my profession.
Imperial: Purge the Weak
Xenos: Phoenix Pattern Engaged
Chaos: We are Legion
take warlock holding sword vertical to ground with right arm.
take one jetbike
take some green stuff.
chop of both warlock arms
chop warlock in half use a razorsaw for both jobs
stick normal legs on jetbike.
cut off warlock hand
cut of jetbike handlebars and turn round.
cut off jetbike hand.
stick warlock on jetbike at a slight angle.
stick left arm back on. stick hand on arm and hand on handlebar and handlebar on jetbike at same time.
stick right arm on.
make cloak out of green stuff.
I think 11 guardians with a scatter laser is pretty decent for a wave serpent, or 10 guardians, a platform, and a warlock with a singing spear. Makes it a bit more expensive, but slightly more survivable (and hilarious, depending on the power you roll).
Actually, wouldn't 20 guardians with 2 platforms and a warlock with conceal be more survivable as long as you park them in cover? Ok, some guardians will die, but you may still keep 2 platforms and a fair few extra bodies by the time the first shooting round clears. Somewhere around 250 points will give you 20 guardians, 2 scatter laser/brightlance/starcannon platform and a warlock. That seems pretty decent imo, especially with some Ld-booster around.
1) Conceal/Reveal - Disembark them, shoot 12", fall back into cover. Laugh as your opponent can neither effectively shoot nor assault your guardians. I'd swap Enhance, the Fearless, or quicken power for this one.
2) If you get the strength-boosting power, congratulations. You hit like a space marine at a higher initiative.
3) Destructor is pretty ideal for this, for obvious reasons.
I don't even remember what the last RoB poiwer is off-hand, but even if it's bad you can just swap it for Conceal. I feel like you'll probably get more out of your points, this way. I'd run it more often, but I don't like mechanized armies.
Hello folks, you seem to know what you're talking about. I need help with equipping my sons DA exarch. What does it mean by power weapon. So which ones can he use out of the 7th ed codex? It looks simular to the executioner. Also if he takes the shimmering shield can he still use a pistol as it's holstered on his leg? What do you recommend as the exarchs best equipment? Thanks in advance.
Many of the folks you're talking to are now probably part of the infinite circuit.
A power weapon grants vp3 in melee.
He cannot choose pistol and shimmershield.
The best set-up depends by what you need to do with him,power weapon and shimmershield is good for 10 men units.
Eldar Craftworld and Harlequins: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...68#post7584168
High Elves: Soon...
When the codex states power weapon, you may use any of the options (Sword, Axe, Lance, Maul). I have mine equipped with a Power Lance, mainly because if combat lasts more than one round, they're probably going to die anyway. (That, and it's how I modeled him).
The shimmershield/power weapon option is the only one I would consider, and it's not for the power weapon. The shimmershield is great, and a farseer with fortune can find a good bunker in such a unit.
To confirm, the exarch would lose his pistol should you pick any option that doesn't include it. Funnily enough, this also includes his standard loadout (just the avenger catapult), although it's on the model, he doesn't have it.