Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just how mutated are Navigators?

Just how mutated are Navigators?

Or rather, what, if any, is the upper limit for mutations? Are they limited to weird skin, vestigial limbs, freaky eyes, etc, or are there ones that almost resemble spawn (or Dune Navigators)? Replies on the back of a postcard please...
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoSkoll View Post
    I think a revelation of that magnitude requires a "DUN DUN DUNNNN!!!!" to go with it.

Re: Just how mutated are Navigators?

Isn't it just the third eye?

Navigators piloting spacecraft tend to look human enough, but even they are not immune to the powers of the warp, and during their career they will gradually become weirder. However, the Navigator houses tend to make sure that a navigator is retired from active service well before he turns into something that cannot be described as human anymore. Looking too freaky tends to attract unwanted attention from both superstitious shipmates and the inquisition.

However, there are rumours that there are navigators locked up in the palaces of the navigator houses that have continued degrading after they were retired, so who knows what kind mutations they have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Shego View Post
    Ahriman got into the Black Library... only to find it was all on Kindle format, so he left.

Not actually a navigator, but the best illustration of one IMO.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	revposter_small.jpg 
Views:	416 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	172912

Unless you're a Blanche guy, but he's too expressionist for a proper depiction. You get the vibe from him more than a realistic portrait. Which is why he does concept art.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Navigator.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	172913

Ragnar Blackmane thought his Navigator was hot and obviously wanted to shack up with her, (but didn't) but then again he's a space wolf, anything with fur is fair game.

The issue is that they get more severe mutations from warp exposure over time, which makes sense because their job description is to sit in a Rapunzel tower and stare into the swirling hell of the abyss to guide their ship to safety. Which is why they make so much damn money.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; 23-06-2013 at 20:06.

I'm pretty sure that in "Wolfblade" there are some iin the catacombs of the Navigator palace that resembled little more than spawns. I also seem to remember one having scaly skin or some such ****.

Chapter Master Askil the Undecided's Avatar

Basically Navigators slowly turn into scaly amphibian mutie things with superhuman strength, and preternaturally long lives.

As they get older they grow more powerful and less human, the oldest navigator is the Paternova, the ruler of the navigator houses and his envoy holds a seat on the high lords of Terra.

When he/she dies navigators all over the galaxy find their power greatly disrupted or even temporarily removed. The eldest of each of the navigator houses are drawn to fight, as they kill each other off they grow more and more powerful. Eventually the last, strongest and (usually) oldest challenger wins and the navigators of his house become far more powerful while those of the previous paternova find their much diminished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-pope View Post
    Also, i think Askil should be hired by GW immediately and take over all future fluff development for 40k.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcherry View Post
    I think this [...] goes to prove that if nothing else, Askil really should be in charge of the background for Chaos. He clearly gets just gets it.

Also remember that all Navigators are somewhat inbred - the Navigator gene is recessive, and breeding is heavily regulated between the various Navigator Houses. As a result, congenital birth defects are far from uncommon amongst Navigators, an issue which prolonged exposure to the Warp tends to exacerbate.

As with Tech-Priests - though for entirely different reasons - you don't ever want to see a Navigator without the layers of heavy robes they typically affect.

Chapter Master Askil the Undecided's Avatar

Nothing like shacking up with your sister-cousins for ten thousand years while bathing in supernatual radiation to help grow that extra back scratching arm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-pope View Post
    Also, i think Askil should be hired by GW immediately and take over all future fluff development for 40k.
    I think this [...] goes to prove that if nothing else, Askil really should be in charge of the background for Chaos. He clearly gets just gets it.

So, the objective was to get some material to confirm or deny the possibility of this idea - I'm building a INQ28 navigator, and I want him (or her) to be more that usually mutated (my 54mm scale one is 8 feet tall and has hands for feet.). I have sitting in front of my a Chaos Terminator Lord Sorceror's breastplate and the giant eye from the spawn set. Would a navigator who's head is just a giant eye be a step too far?
    I think a revelation of that magnitude requires a "DUN DUN DUNNNN!!!!" to go with it.

Get a tustom citle 'ere! blackcherry's Avatar

Probably unless they are very covered and even then the navigator would need 'extra senses' to be able to operate normally. A navigators eye third eye (which would be the only eye in this case) is normally covered, as exposure to it kills people. Something to do with the unique mutation being the only way navigators can process the sights of the warp and 'see' the emperors beacon to guide their ships.
    Quote Originally Posted by outbreak View Post
    I always thought the dwarfs fit well as the rugged stoic Brokeback Mountain type homosexual race of Warhammer. It explains why they're not reproducing as much too. On the outside their all gruff and hard but on the inside their just cuddly bears looking to be loved.
    I now have a sale on. Come get your models for cheap! Blackcherrys Sale Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DapperAnarchist View Post
    So, the objective was to get some material to confirm or deny the possibility of this idea - I'm building a INQ28 navigator, and I want him (or her) to be more that usually mutated (my 54mm scale one is 8 feet tall and has hands for feet.). I have sitting in front of my a Chaos Terminator Lord Sorceror's breastplate and the giant eye from the spawn set. Would a navigator who's head is just a giant eye be a step too far?
    Most likely. The Imperium is uncharacteristically tolerant in regards to the quirks and appearance of navigators, but it would never accept someone to pilot one if its ships that doesn't even look passingly human. And since a mutated navigator would cast suspicion on the entire Navigator House, the house rulers would never risk one of its mutated members to be seen by anyone else in the Imperium.

Of course, he could be a rogue Navigator who doesn't care about his House of his appearance, offering his services to anyone who wants to pay.
    Ahriman got into the Black Library... only to find it was all on Kindle format, so he left.

The Imperium basically goes by the rules of "if it's recognisably human, then it's ok" when it comes to Navigators, in my opinion. You can have extra joints in your limbs, see-through skin, and needle-teeth, but anything that drastically different would be ruled out, at least amongst the Navigators that are 'publicly' visible. Navigators kept in the privacy of their own estates, or even piloting their own vessels? Sure, go ahead. I'm not sure I'd want to know what the Paternova looks like, but let's just say there's most likely a reason why the Paternova speaks through the Paternoval Envoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperialis_Dominatus View Post
    And anytime you think to yourself, "no one could be that stupid/lacking in common sense/unreasonable/etc."... tell yourself, very loudly, "I AM WRONG," and slap yourself in the face. Hard. Because you are wrong. Because someone out there is, in fact, that stupid, unreasonable, lacking in common sense, etc. I assure you.

Does the 3rd eye really just kill people? Or does it make you go insane first?

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow View Post
    Does the 3rd eye really just kill people? Or does it make you go insane first?
    Either, or both. The light reflected in the third eye is the light of the Warp, so bearing witness to a Navigator's warp-gaze is basically like staring into the Warp.

Hmmm... perhaps the same part can be used to make a big globe helmet, covering up whatever is inside... As weird and radical as it's employer (a rather deranged Trader) is, it may indeed be too far. Though perhaps I can make it unclear as to whether it is a helmet or the Navigator's head... Thank you for the advice.

does chaos aligned forces use navigators?

Get a tustom citle 'ere! blackcherry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheDungen View Post
    does chaos aligned forces use navigators?
    Rarely. Theres not much mention of it, but we can assume some are still there though more a part of the ship now than separate entities. Without access to more Navigators, most Chaos fleet fall back on Sorcerers, which can be both better or worse at navigating the warp, depending on what the plot needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by outbreak View Post
    I always thought the dwarfs fit well as the rugged stoic Brokeback Mountain type homosexual race of Warhammer. It explains why they're not reproducing as much too. On the outside their all gruff and hard but on the inside their just cuddly bears looking to be loved.
    I now have a sale on. Come get your models for cheap! Blackcherrys Sale Thread

Rarely. Theres not much mention of it, but we can assume some are still there though more a part of the ship now than separate entities. Without access to more Navigators, most Chaos fleet fall back on Sorcerers, which can be both better or worse at navigating the warp, depending on what the plot needs.
    Not sorcerors actually, but bound deamonhosts.

Sorcerors have also piloted ships in several BL novels.

South of Insanity, but a little North of Reason.

ADB has Navigators in Night Lords vessels, although some are very old and barely human. then again, ADB also has sorcerers guiding Chaos vessels, both of which are true.

There are probably countless ways that Chaos ships navigate the Warp with varying degrees of accuracy, from 'traitor' Navigators (willingly and otherwise), to sorcerers, daemons, daemonhosts, warp/Chaos artefacts, faith and devotion... you name it really.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast