Thread: Eldar Cobra Super Heavy weapon

Eldar Cobra Super Heavy weapon

So the new apocalypse book got me flipping through a copy of Imperial Armour 11 in the event I might take an Eldar super heavy tank, but upon close inspection I saw the pulsar weapon is listed in both the scorpion and cobra entries. The cobra entry lists a D-cannon as a weapon, but the only weapon profile breakdown I could find was on the warp hunter. Am I reading this right in that a superheavy tank which I pay 5 times as many points for has the same gun as this non-superheavy equivalent? Any insights appreciated from my peeps on the forums.
    'Those who affect masks, and steal their way through shadows, and take the names of others as their own, are more deadly than any blooded warriors.'
    - Gallan, On Espiel

Re: Eldar Cobra Super Heavy weapon

Ordo Xenos Deathwatch Squad
    Go. Comment. Use. I beg you.

I'll think of something else appropriate soon enough to put here.

Banned

that is a misprint. look in imperial armour apocalypse 2 for the proper rules.

it is a 10 inch blast destroyer that ignores power fields and void shields. and if you stick a scatter laser on the turet you get laser lock.

it is currently the most powerful non-titan weapon in the game

*low whistle* thanks guys!
    'Those who affect masks, and steal their way through shadows, and take the names of others as their own, are more deadly than any blooded warriors.'
    - Gallan, On Espiel

IA 11 + FAQ is more recent than Apoc 2. It's even better there, at least under old Apoc rules, because it rolls d3 times on the super heavy damage table for each hit. Not sure how that translates to new Apoc.
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.

Banned

yes. i know about that. it is the same as the gun on the titan in that respect.

again - best non-titan gun in the game right now

Given that the Phantom's gun has been downgraded to being an "ordinary" Str D Weapon, I could see the Cobra's being erratad to being a 48" version of the Phantom's.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Lord View Post
    Given that the Phantom's gun has been downgraded to being an "ordinary" Str D Weapon, I could see the Cobra's being erratad to being a 48" version of the Phantom's.
    Yeah, I'd be pretty worried as the Phantom D-Cannon is now kind of useless next to the Pulsar.
    “For a long time humour was thought to be the most potent antidepressant; recently, though, it was found that the bitter suffering of one's enemies, with the placing of sensible limitations on the success of one's friends, was still more effective.”

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidal View Post
    Yeah, I'd be pretty worried as the Phantom D-Cannon is now kind of useless next to the Pulsar.
    Kind of useless? Completely useless. Gee, 120" 4 D shots AP 1 5" blast versus 1 72" D shot AP 2 10" blast, at the same price. Whoever was writing the rules over at GW obviously didn't care too much about Eldar or the implications of such a massive downgrade to the D-Cannon when they stripped Barrage and bypassing shields on top of everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Palvinore View Post
    Kind of useless? Completely useless. Gee, 120" 4 D shots AP 1 5" blast versus 1 72" D shot AP 2 10" blast, at the same price. Whoever was writing the rules over at GW obviously didn't care too much about Eldar or the implications of such a massive downgrade to the D-Cannon when they stripped Barrage and bypassing shields on top of everything else.
    Yea, I did a triple take the other night when I noticed the phantom pulsar was 4 shots per gun. I'm hoping the Cobra will get a couple additional rule tweaks, although the pulsar on the scorpion is only 2 shots.
    - Gallan, On Espiel

The Phantom and Cobra D-Cannon should have the rule: "Instant Death", and "Treat Superheavies and Gargantuan creatures as normal vehicles and monstrous creatures respectively when resolving this attack."
    “For a long time humour was thought to be the most potent antidepressant; recently, though, it was found that the bitter suffering of one's enemies, with the placing of sensible limitations on the success of one's friends, was still more effective.”

Similar arguments could be made about the Vortex Missile- the combination of being reduced to a normal D-weapon, and its blast area being reduced from 10" to 5" makes it a very weak choice for Reavers.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Lord View Post
    Similar arguments could be made about the Vortex Missile- the combination of being reduced to a normal D-weapon, and its blast area being reduced from 10" to 5" makes it a very weak choice for Reavers.
    I agree. Vortex type weapons should be the premium 'Superheavy killer', but they're much weaker than the 'standard' guns on normal weapons.

I think the Vortex being in the 'middle' and the rest of the damage being the collateral from the vortex would be good.

2 easy fixes- Vortex ignores Invul saves, D weapons do not.
    Single shot D weapons keep their blast, multiple shot D weapons lose blast.
    "As I've always said, Wes is wise." - Scryer in the Darkness
    "Wes, if you keep this up you'll need to change your name to MajorWiseJanson." - Azzy
    "Many boffins died to bring us this information." - Forgeworld Announcement E-mail
    "Rest assured, Servitor 13 has your best interests at heart. Now let's fire up the lascannons." - GW changes their web privacy policy.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorWesJanson View Post
    2 easy fixes- Vortex ignores Invul saves, D weapons do not.
    Single shot D weapons keep their blast, multiple shot D weapons lose blast.
    So your solution only "fixes" Imperial Vortex weapons while weakening other Eldar weapons further? This is likely the same reason that this whole thing with the D-cannons even came up in the first place. Designers only looking or caring from the Imperial POV and anything else done as an afterthought or with no effort paid to how it will affect non-Imperial forces.

Quote Originally Posted by Palvinore View Post
    So your solution only "fixes" Imperial Vortex weapons while weakening other Eldar weapons further? This is likely the same reason that this whole thing with the D-cannons even came up in the first place. Designers only looking or caring from the Imperial POV and anything else done as an afterthought or with no effort paid to how it will affect non-Imperial forces.
    It also "fixes" the rather popular TL Turbolasers and Laser blasters on Imperial titans as well.

D-Weapons not ignoring Invuls and Vortex ignoring saves of any kind was the standard in the previous apoc and seemed to work fine then.
    "As I've always said, Wes is wise." - Scryer in the Darkness
    "Wes, if you keep this up you'll need to change your name to MajorWiseJanson." - Azzy
    "Many boffins died to bring us this information." - Forgeworld Announcement E-mail
    "Rest assured, Servitor 13 has your best interests at heart. Now let's fire up the lascannons." - GW changes their web privacy policy.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorWesJanson View Post
    It also "fixes" the rather popular TL Turbolasers and Laser blasters on Imperial titans as well.

D-Weapons not ignoring Invuls and Vortex ignoring saves of any kind was the standard in the previous apoc and seemed to work fine then.
    Phantom D-cannons ignored void shields and inflicted D3 damage rolls per hit under the previous Apoc rules. That was what was needed to justify their use for a 1 shot per turn weapon when the Phantom has only 2 arm mounts. I don't see your solution adding back anything, just taking away still more.

No point in running the Cobra T2 in my 3000pt Apoc game in 3 weeks then? Was hoping to add the Scatter Laser for extra lulz. If it's still able to go 12" and fire Ordnance (6"for laserlock Scatter), still able to ignore fields, still able to ID stuff, autoglance on 3-4 and autopen on 5-6, still use D-table for damage, still able to have 4+ invul fields, then maybe it's worth it?

On range, it a G48" or 72" ? Thought they got rid of Guess & such, does it Barrage?

Can't bring FW scratchbuilt to this one, and I actually have the resin model built! Hoping to run it, but am getting multiple simultaneous devastating rules conflicts on this thing... Anybody care to clear up the specifics here for me, perhaps in a PM if need be? Thanks!
    Last edited by TheRuggernaut; 01-08-2013 at 14:38.

I'm not a big fan of the change to the Phantom D-Cannon, however I can see where they might be coming from in the change they made to it.

The biggest issue I have with the Phantom Pulsar is while Heavy 4 is insanely nice it can only target a single unit with all 4 shots. Now against another Titan its game on, but against smaller vehicles you'll be lucky to catch more than just a single Land Raider in the blast, for example.

With the new D weapon damage chart being so ridiculously punitive to non super-heavy vehicles & troopers/MCs a huge template D weapon doesn't really need much more help. That 10" D-cannon could easily touch 3 or more vehicles (going poof on a 2+) or MCs.

I consider the Pulsar as single BIG target death, and the D-cannon as multi-unit path clearer. I would however still like to see the Phantom D-Cannon and Cobra D-Cannon retain it's ignore shields rule, which would be just enough (imho) to set it apart from the Pulsar or make up for its shorter range than the comparable Shadowsword.
    Last edited by Meistro1; 03-08-2013 at 04:44.