Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Legion Rising - A WIP Thread from The Dark Works

Veteran Sergeant Subtle Discord's Avatar

Legion Rising - A WIP Thread from The Dark Works

An Introduction ~ Part 1

It came from the frozen northern Chaos wastes… Canada, that is. Welcome to this first in a long line of Text-&-Picture-Walls. (I tend to ramble sometimes, in a good way, with lots of nice photos.) Welcome to my muse, my passion, my obsession… my insanity. The Dark Gods whisper to me from the Warp, and I am compelled to obey. They let me see so many things I want to make real, but I only have one mind, two hands, and so many hours. Oh well, no rest for the wicked, no sleep for the weary… the whispers, the voices in my head, they won’t let me…

I’ve been gaming and playing Warhammer 40,000 on-and-off for over 20 years; the bulk of it, I attempted to collect and paint a Chaos army – Black Legion, more specifically. I always collected a modest force, but it was never as complete or elaborate as I wanted. And so, as it happens to many of us, life distracts us from our addictive little plastic soldiers, and they get tucked away. But for most, that really enjoy the hobby, we always come back. In early 2011 I dusted off my bits boxes, cases of miniatures, supplies, and took stock. I had some solid units that could use some polish to get started with, and a few simple scratch-build projects that never got done. As good a start as any.

I chose to do a cold-centric theme throughout the army; Most accent colours are in neutral or cool colours, and I extended the concept to the blue-grey highlights I use for the Black.

Not all bad guys wear black, but the Legion make a point of it; here's a small block of the army with highlights done, ready for some weathering.

This
    time I wanted it to be different; I wanted to really create the unique, personal, and elaborate army that I could see in my mind when I was fifteen, and flipping the Realms of Chaos books. Only in recent kits has GW started to release what I would consider ‘proper’ Chaos Vechile kits; Love or hate the new Daemon Engines, they definitely have a good Chaos style/feel to them. Before this round of kits, Chaos got an extra sprew or two thrown into the box, and that was a major defining look for the faction. Just adding spikes does not a Chaos army make! I do some modest kit-bashing and converting on Troops and HQ to keep the army feeling unique; I like the rank-and-file models to each have a bit of flavor, but nothing too elaborate, yet. Now the vehicles, they offer such a wonderful large canvas to work with. One that has been neglected for far too long.

The idea was simple enough, just take the feel and look of Chaos used on the 'proper' Chaos Troops miniatures and illustrated in the books, and run with it. Read: Lots of banding/trimming, rivets, arrows, points, and layering... lots of layering. I had a general idea of where I wanted the look of the army to go, but now I needed more of a theme. I found direction in the movie Apocalypse Now from the The 1st of the 9th Air Cavalry. In the movie, they are a… ‘self-motivated’ unit that bombs around Vietnam in helicopters looking for good places to surf between (and during) the fighting. During aggressive unexpected assaults, they terrorizing the enemy by playing Wagner (Ride of the Valkyries) over loud speakers attached to the helicopters. Switch helicopters for some VTL vehicles and loud speakers for Dirge Casters and the start of my theme was forming; The 1st of the 9th Black Crusade – Heavy Armoured Cavalry. ('Heavy' so I had added excuse to really armour the vehicles) At the time, fliers were still off in the distance; I knew I wanted some for show at least, for the theme, but formal rules didn’t even exist. So, I choose to focus on a mechanized army to build a core, and then consider some kind of flying transport in the future. In Warhammer 40,000 it’s the feet on the ground that gets things done, after all.

So, I went about making my army look Chaos, without adding any spikes. I should also mention I really like working with Rare Earth (Neodymium) Magnets. Sooo useful!

This Rhino and Predator were the first serious Chaos creations I put together with an eye for the look I was going for. When they were done, I knew I was on to something.

One of my favorite materials is styrene plastic. If you’re trying to build something mechanical and angular, just put your mind to it and you can build it in plastic. Take it far enough and you can build actual working mechanics in nothing but styrene, if you wanted to. As a general tip about learning how to build in styrene, I suggest looking up general scratch building techniques. There are many tabletop gamers who are doing amazing things, but there is much more experience out there if you broaden your search. Military modellers have been scratch building models of exceptional detail for many decades; I just ignore the subject and absorb the technique.

My preferred painting method: Paint the harder stuff messy and quick to get it done looking the way I want. Then go in to carefully clean up the mess. Rinse-and-repeat until finished.

I put a lot of effort into the scratch-build, but these are playing miniatures, I choose to keep the paint job more straight forward and attainable. I let the building do the real talking.

Base colours + Lots of washing and glazing + Simple (but clean) 4-step layered highlighting + A bit of strategically placed blending + Some straightforward sponged chipping + A dusting with weathering powder = Now that's Black Legion without loosing my mind painting it.

By late 2011 I had some good progress on the core I was bringing together, and I figured I’d start showing off some of my work. I started a modest thread showing a few of my builds, and blathering about what I do and how I do it. Little did I know I was already too far down the Dark Path to ever find my way back… wanting to reproduce things, I started to work with RTV rubber making moulds for resin casting. Two things quickly happened: 1) I learned that I am quite good at making complex resin casting moulds. 2) I'm totally hooked to the process and really enjoy doing it! Now, as soon as I could actually replicate my work, that opened another door altogether...

At the end of my 10-picture-per-post limit, I will stop Part 1 here. Part 2 and beyond are written, so they will be up shorty, after a bit of editing. To any admins to might be reading; I would be very thankful for a larger picture-per-post limit. I promise to keep them relevant and good quality.

Thanks for looking, thanks for reading, much more to come...
    Last edited by Subtle Discord; 14-02-2017 at 07:22.
    → Nostrum nomen est Legio: pro nos es plures. ←→ Our name is Legion: for we are many. ←

→ Legion Rising ↔ A Black Legion W.I.P. thread on building, bashing, tools, painting, casting, and more.
    → The Dark Works ↔ Spawn of Legion Rising; a selection of my work for those who might be interested.

Re: Legion Rising - A WIP Thread from The Dark Works

An Introduction ~ Part 2

Always the way; just when I say "the second part should be right up", life comes along and distracts me. Ok then, where was I?

Oh yes, the mysterious dark art of resin casting and how it has forever corrupted my soul... in a good way!

Now, I like scratch building, a lot. It's great to take an idea, design a flat template, and then turn that template into a three dimensional object. Problem is, scratch building is very labour intensive when you're as particular as I am. Larger things like vehicles may justify a one-off build that will take quite a bit of labour; They're large and not as prolific as troops, so why not? But, when you start getting down to doing smaller objects across an entire army, the idea of building say, six reasonably identical Havoc Launchers, becomes daunting. So I figured it may be a good idea to learn how to make some resin casting moulds...

I've always hated the Havoc Launchers provided on the Chaos vehicle accessories sprew. This is what I think a Havoc Launcher should look like.

I originally created my first replacement Havoc Launcher as a single solid object. It was one of my first moulds, so I was still experimenting. That early prototype worked, but it came with some limitations and drawbacks. If you resin cast, you quickly learn that your biggest enemy is bubbles. So, solid objects with no 'hidden sides' give you no place to hide bubbles. You can never get rid of all of the bubbles all of the time, but you can get rid of most of them. Also, if you cast an item correctly you can actually hide the rest. That is my constant goal - avoid or destroy all (most) bubbles. This kit is a perfect example; I've designed the moulds to intentionally cast the parts with the detail side down (As I try to do with all my moulds, when possible), so if any bubbles do form, they rise to the back/bottom of the part during curing, and will be hidden by the assemble of the kit. It's not genius or witchcraft, but I think it's clever. It doesn't work every time, but anything that saves a few casts from the reject bin is a good design philosophy.

With some logic, careful consideration, trial-and-error, and just a bit of luck here-and-there I worked out most of the kinks for making more complex resin casting moulds. It's one of those things that anyone can do, but it takes a certain knack to do it well. I've still got lots to learn, and I want to invest in more studio equipment so that I can start doing other casting processes. Currently I only use Pressure Casting (50+ PSI) for bubble eradication, but I also want to start doing Vacuum Casting for when pressure isn't the best solution, and that will require a proper Vacuum Chamber. Hopefully, all in due time.

I learned a lot making this little kit, but I wasn't sure if it was going to translate into larger items. Time to move up to making something... bigger...

I had this Land Raider kit calling to me, compelling me to make it Chaos, so who was I to argue? In these photos you can also see the Havoc Launcher prototype just before casting.

Did I mention it was a larger project? This is a picture of a mould, as large as the Land Raider itself, for just one (rather large) part in the final kit.

One thing I quickly learned making RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanizing) rubber moulds: Bulk matters. It takes some extra rubber, but in for a penny, in for a pound, I say. Making the walls of the mould thick ensures that the part casts without warping. Adding lots of the pictured locking-pins to hold the mould together is also key; A well made 2-part split mould like this locks together perfectly every time, minimizing mould lines and all but removing any mould slipping. Again, this mould cures the part face-down, so bubbles rise to the hidden back side. I put the same thought and process into all my moulds.

Designation: Loricatus Pattern Mk.I Heavy Land Raider

I think the investment in time and materials is worth it when you can make something like this, and completely transform the original Land Raider into a rolling icon of Chaos. (Look ma'! No spikes!) Ok, so clearly my ideas on making larger moulds were translating well to the larger objects. *In his best Montgomery Burns voice* Excellent! But there was still another challenge that I was trying to deal with at the same time. Enter the Proditor Pattern Mk.II Rhino Trim kit for demonstration.

This build was actually the first time I used one of my own resin kits to trim a Rhino. Up to this point they had all been scratch builds made of styrene and glued to the model as I built.

With the Land Raider I was worried about how large the parts are/were, with my Chaos Rhino Trim kits it was how small/thin they are/were. On the surface it seems straight forward to cast these trim pieces; they are nice flat-backed parts, after all. But, when you consider that they are only 0.8mm tall not including the rivets (I use two layers of 0.4mm sheet styrene for my trim/banding details) it makes the parts very long, thin, and delicate. How to get the resin into the moulds became a real issue because of this. After some research and a few practice moulds I adopted and refined a method of using a syringe to forcibly inject resin into the moulds. Without the added pressure to force the resin into the mould, I don't think I would be able to make these in my modest studio.

Proditor Pattern Light Armour Trim Kits - Left: Mk.II (Pictured here) Right: Mk.I (Pictured in Part 1)

So, even though these trim kits don't use that much resin to produce, they make up for it in the technical challenges inherent in their design. With what I learned here, combined with what I had learned from my other early projects, I covered most of the major technical issues I might run into for any of my current design plans. I was starting to feel confident enough to do something even more elaborate.

Started before I learned resin casting, I glued the scratch-built styrene directly onto the model as a scaffold to construct on, so I was never able to take it off to make moulds of it.

Unfortunately, all of my building has stopped my painting in its tracks. This Loricatus Pattern Mk.II Predator hasn't come any further than what's pictured here. I've finall started to get my studio back in some level of order and my painting area is active again. This beast should see some progress soon, along with several other monsters hiding in the shadows.

Even though I couldn't make a cast of these parts I really liked the design; with some further inspiration and some conversations with fellow gamers and tank-heads, I had a few other changes I wanted to make.

Naturally, now everything I build has casting in mind from that start, unless it uses parts that are protected in some way. As long as I make every part myself, (and don't build directly on or with any GW pieces) I'm free to replicate anything I build. Since I couldn't actually use this build for a kit, I was forced to make another from scratch.

More on that in Part 3...
    Last edited by Subtle Discord; 23-07-2013 at 21:06.
    → Nostrum nomen est Legio: pro nos es plures. ←→ Our name is Legion: for we are many. ←

→ Legion Rising ↔ A Black Legion W.I.P. thread on building, bashing, tools, painting, casting, and more.
    → The Dark Works ↔ Spawn of Legion Rising; a selection of my work for those who might be interested.

Wow, these are some seriously good casts. Great work on that as well as your plasticard work. I bet people would love to get their hands on some of your conversion parts. Have you thought about selling them?

And you can paint too! Damn!
    Quote Originally Posted by Litcheur View Post
    Note to 40k players : switching to historicals will get you laid.
    \m/ Metalheads of WarSeer \m/ <- click

Please visit my random project log!

Chapter Master Scribe of Khorne's Avatar

What ****ery is this?! My mind is blown.
    Some men, just want to watch the world burn.

An Introduction ~ Part 3

So this time, I built the Predator kit with resin casting in mind...

This time I built everything 'loose' - able to come free from the model. Not being able to glue to parts down to the model for support came with its own challenges, to say the least.

I took the opportunity to tweak the design and incorporate elements I used in the Land Raider, designing them to look cohesive-but-unique when together. I also completely changed the shape of the turret by extending the slope of the original turret down. In my opinion, this turret looks like it is designed to deflect incoming fire much better than the original turret shape. Beyond those two major changes the overall design stayed very true to the MK.II Pattern.

Originally I had use the part in the GW Predator kit to make the sponson weapon link, but if I wanted to make a complete kit I needed to design my own solution.

I'm very pleased with how it turned out. It's a post with a 'cap' that has a proper seat for the optics bit. It's designed to work with two square 1/8"x1/8"x1/16" magnets, letting you easily swap between Las'Cannon or Heavy Bolter. Square magnets also let the optics turn with the weapon. It's a little thing, but hey. Normally I work in metric, with metric tools, but Neodymium (Rare Earth) Magnets are the one exception. The selection of sizes in Imperial is just so vast; I can't find the same in metric.

Designation: Loricatus Pattern Mk.III Heavy Predator - The culmination of everything I've learned so far about casting, manifest in resin for the first time. I do believe I've got the hang of this!

So this brings me to the end of the Dark Path that lead me to this point. My selection is modest so far, but everything seen cast in resin through the course of this thread is/will be in production, and available from my shop The Dark Works, if anyone is interested. I'll also add to this thread with some tutorials on what I learned and some of my techniques over the coming weeks and months. I've been itching to paint lately, so expect a painting article or two sooner-or-later, but for now it's all about the current builds and expanding the line of kits I have to offer. Speaking of which... (What, you though it was over? Never! Submit to the will of the Dark Gods... *Subtle starts speaking in strange tongues* ... *Cough* Err... where was I?)

In case you thought I only did scratch-build, here's a Chaos Decimator that's on my workbench. Naturally I took the time to magnetize the arms for easy weapon swapping.

For the most part, the Decimator will be stock. It's just such a hardcore miniature, it really doesn't need much modification if you don't want to invest the effort. I do plan on altering the weapons a bit; Improving the Storm Lasers, Conversion Beamer, and Butcher Cannons to make them more Chaos. The stock butcher Cannon especially, to me, is very... meh. Reaper Auto-Cannon barrels attached to an 'ok' ammo-drum-like-thing. I think I can do better. It needs more... Butcher!

What's that you say? A proper Chaos Storm Eagle? I think I may be able to work something out. (Must have VTL vehicles for my Air Cavalry!)

This is a very early proof of concept build, not even a prototype yet. (It's been in the back of my brain for quite some time.) Since building this, I've had time to contemplate, and I want to go back to the CAD design one more time and refine this base structure. It is very close to what is planned, but I have several adjustments to make. This is going to be a large ambitious build that will take some time to come together, but it's something I really want to make happen, so it's on my short list. Unlike the Forge World Storm Eagle, my kit will make much more use of the base GW Storm Raven kit. It's such a good model it's a shame not to use as much of it as possible. It should have a slightly longer and leaner line than the FW kit, while still feeling like plausible counterpart. Compare this to the early build picture of the Predator, and you can have an idea where this is going. Being a flying vehicle, I plan on doing the Chaos Trim detailing with a lighter plastic; .33mm or.25mm verse the normal 0.4mm. It should give it a more sleek lighter look. Well... as sleek as you can make these 'flying bricks' look, that is. And I think the missile racks are going to mount wrap-around on the corner of the engine housing, with a stabilizer coming out from the center. It's a little hard to describe, but the Havoc Launcher should also give an idea of the feel they will have. My take of a Reaper Auto-Cannon for the nose, and Las'Cannons for the wings will also be part of the build. I want to make this as complete as the Predator kit. Also, a key feature of this kit, it will be really really easy to build. Everything interlocks and links together; the only thing holding the entire build pictured here together is that single rubber band. Everything is dry fit and held together because it's locked that way.

I mulled some ideas over on the left, inspired by the original track pattern. I've chosen to go with something more unique.

I've considered doing treads before, but the repetition always turned me off. (I have to make how many?!) So, this time I'm going to make a small selection of links and make moulds to mass produce them. I'll still need to make lots of them, but casting them a few at a time is more appealing than fabricating each one. from there I'll construct the needed lengths from a collection of links.

The other issue was size; they're so small (especially the Rhino links) that there really isn't that much room to be that creative. There's only so much you can do with a tiny link, even on a Land Raider. In the end, they are a very utilitarian part of the tank so I chose to keep them simple enough. A single layer with low-profile rivets.

Finally, also on my (not so) short list is a Chaos Vindicator kit in the Loricatus Pattern style, and a selection of Chaos vehicle components: Chaos Search Light, Dirge Caster, 'Dozer Blades & Destroyer Blades for Rhino and Land Raider chassis. I'm also looking at the Hell Drake kit and trying to figure out a way to make a 'Hell Drake Jet' kit. Everyone who doesn't like the Drake seems to want it to be a jet, maybe I can help them out. I've also got this really cool idea for counts-as Chaos Drop Pods... I think I want to call them Hell Thorns... *Subtle's speech starts to drift* ... or Hell Spikes... fired from orbit, they drive into the planet, planting themselves and opening a portal for troops... *Subtle starts wandering off, still muttering to himself* ... so much to do, so little time...

Last edited by Subtle Discord; 23-07-2013 at 16:21.

Beautiful models. I can't wait to see more; these are really something.

Ok, with my introduction posts sorted out, and image links fixed, thanks for the positive feedback! When I first started showing my work I felt is was good, but I was really not expecting the response I got. The artist is usually their own worst critic, after all. Now that I've learned a few things and shown my work around a bit more, I'm getting more used to a good reception. I put a lot of effort and attention to detail into my work, and I'm really glad it shows. The good feedback just motivates me to kee going with it.

I'll be showing not only my builds as the unfold, but I'll also be talking about tools, techniques, and any other things that happen to pass through my mind. I've got a tools article I wrote a while back that I want to return to for an edit, update, and rework. I'll post it up here over the next while, along with any other work that seems worth of the camera. While I am starting to make kits to sell, I really hope to inform and inspire people to give their armies something a little extra. We all need 'bland' rank-and-file troops to fill the ranks, but doesn't your army deserve a few center-pieces to anchor around?

Naturally, questions, comments, ideas & input, or other musings are always welcome. Thanks for reading, more coming soon...
    Last edited by Subtle Discord; 23-07-2013 at 06:13.

Chapter Master Scribe of Khorne's Avatar

Whoa, just noticed you sell this stuff. Very impressive! I'll be making an order for sure.
    Some men, just want to watch the world burn.

Im impressed by the clean and neat builds. Very nice! I wanna learn casting too. Will keep an eye out for all your tips and tricks.

these are really nice and really help make the space marine tanks look chaos! one of my pet peeves with GW, they just add some spikey bits to space marines sets and then call them chaos.
    One of Portents first 500 members. If you don't know what that is, than I might be too old to be still playing this game!
    My Chaos Dwarf Army Blog:
    http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/sh....php?tid=11436
    My Chaos Space Marine (Slaanesh) Blog:
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...=1#post6611676

Chapter Master

WOW.... just absolutely wow...

regards

My name is Daniel and I am a wargamer
    40k NURGLE BLOG http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...big-blobby-guy
    Ever wondered why Maths seemed so hard?
    "Everytime I see a maths problem it looks like this: If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 apples, how many pancakes would it take to cover the roof.
    - ANSWER - Purple, because aliens don't wear hats..."

Really impressive cardboard work, your skills make me shy

Anyway, even if I understand that you want to advanced fastly your army, my painting mind is quite sad that you will just have paint them clean and neat but no more, it's like having the best car of the planet and put some average petrol in it to me :S
    But I'll keep an eager eye on that thread for sure!!

I am totally blown away by your armor upgrade kits.. Just bought a bunch of your stuff. Great!!
    The filth of their visage is nothing compared to the filth in their hearts -
    BasetheRuins 2nd Ed Black Legion

Veteran Sergeant

****in sweet.

Great work SD! I like the intro and am looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Do you have any plans to make non-Chaos kits? I think the marine flyer could prove popular to loyalists.

First off, thanks to everyone for the great feedback! I tend to start most of my posts with a 'Thank you!', so I say it often, but I really mean it every time I say it. I am far less motivated to get things done and improve my techniques when I'm not getting feedback; it gives me a boost to know I'm on the right track. That said, I'll ramble a bit to answer some questions and comment a little. In no particular order...

Don't be shy Inaith, we all started somewhere once; I'm as good as I am because of practice and lots of mistakes. If I understand you correctly (I suspect English isn't your first language, and that's fine); So far most of my army is somewhat clean painted, but they will be chipped, weathered, and roughed up a bit. They're on an 'Ashen Waste' inspired basing scheme, so they won't be dirty and muddy, more dusty. The overall idea I have of Chaos Marines is that they are still Marines - Hard wired warrior monks who revere their wargear like artifacts. While the Traitor Legions may be breaking down from a traditional Loyalist Marine structure into Warbands, I think there's too much that would be hard wired into their organization that they would keep out of survival. Marines are conditioned to 'find a way' so I don't think all Warbands would signal a group withering and fading; they will operate far differently than their Loyalist counterparts, no doubt. So while I want my troops to look like they are active in combat with some wear-and-tear, I also want their gear to look well maintained. I understand it might not really fit with some people's vision, but that's the beauty of the hobby, we all get to have our vision. I promise they won't be too clean.

With that said, it also beings up a good point about my kits. I fabricate everything very clean and undamaged. The idea is that I want to give the builder the freedom to weather and damage the surface of the kit how they see fit. It's easy to take a blunt tool and add lots of character with some modest dings and scratches to the surface and edges. When I have time I want to try some experiments on doing more serious damage to some panels to simulate Auto-Cannon deflections, Las'Cannon scorch marks, partially slagged areas from Melta damage, that sort of thing. I'll be sure to document my progress and so some tutorials about my endeavors. I've got tools, torches, heat guns, and all manner of other things to play with. If the results are good enough, I could even cast them.

As for Loyalist kits Norseman; yes, I do have plans to do Loyalist kits along the same lines, but Chaos is my first inspiration and the cornerstone of my studio. Right now, the only armies I collect are Chaos, (my corruption is complete), and there's still a few more gaps that I feel I 'need' to fill in the Chaos line, and then I think my focus will split between Chaos Guard and Loyalist Marines. This is all a single person operation right now, so I only have two hands and so many hours to make things real. That's not to say things can't change; I have my eye on some new equipment to improve my process, I want to start working towards more advanced production (Vacuum forming plastics, rapid prototyping, etc.), and I'm not closed to the idea of a collaboration with the right kind of people. But this is all just starting out, so who knows where this will lead?

Thanks again everyone for the support. More coming soon...

Fantastic log and fantastic models.

I eagerly wait to see more!

Yeah, I'm french so english is not my first language, you guess it right
    Anyway, you said that it'll be improved later so it's all good to me (even if I wasn't particularily thinking of dirt and mud to improve them but generally thinking about more time to make them shine by their painting )

Commander

The awsomness in this tread it TOO DAMN HIGH

Excellent looking army so far, and I may have to get some of the armour trims for my nascent Traitor Marines. Looking forward to seeing more!
    Nihil obstat.
    ?
    R=][=P - A eulogy to 40k in 54mm

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast