Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Legion Rising - A WIP Thread from The Dark Works

Re: Legion Rising - A WIP Thread from The Dark Works

I'd be down to adopt kits. Takes me years to finish stuff anyway, not gonna kill me to wait a few extra months to get something I'll excitedly open and then file away in the bits vault.
    |Dark Mechanicus Log | Bits for Trade |Dr. McNinja | All the Games! | Models Painted: 2006 - 53 | 2007 - 5 | 2008 - 3 | 2009 - 0 | 2010 - 18 | 2011 - 6 | 2012 - 20 | 2013 - 5 | 2014 - 25 | 2015 - 19 | 2016 - 35 | 2017 - 38

Great stuff as always man you are living the dream I wish I could do the same so many ideas swirling around in my head. Glad are still active on WarSeer after the long downtime they had. I know it has been a pain for me trying to rebuild my PLOGs here since Photo Bucket bombed everyone's pictures but I spent the time deleting a lot of posts and reinserting old pictures in key posts. I see a 3-D printer and a laser cutter set up in your future endeavors and expansion

Veteran Sergeant Subtle Discord's Avatar

First up, shameless personal plug; Iíve restocked the shop with the kits that have serviceable moulds. If anyone is on the fence, Iíll be honest and say a few more sales before the end of the month would be welcome and very helpful. An unexpected strike at my other contract job has pinched my finances this month. Iíll be fine either way (strike was several weeks, but over now), but I wasnít expecting to be relying on the studio for proper income quite so soon. I respect that the stock is just too limited for now. So, if avoiding shipping costs with a split order is a factor, I totally understand, and Iíll be happy to offer free shipping on your next order to those who can help over the next few weeks. Again, my situation isnít critical, but every bit helps when things are unexpectedly tight. So please, only help if itís within your budget to do so. Thanks again to everyone, past, present, and future, who supports me on this endeavour; itís finally starting, and the best is on its way.

*Starts to shake with anticipation!*
    Reverend: ďDo you see the light?! Have you seen the light?!Ē
    Jake: ďYES! :cuss I see the :cuss light!Ē
    *Gospel music rises*

~The Blues Brothers

Content Warning: Massive wall-oí-text-ní-pictures to follow.

That said, all other kits are currently being redesigned (or will be in the future) along with new kits being created, and they will start appearing over the coming weeks and months; hence the creation of this article to showcase whatís on the way in the near future. I was having a bit of Ďdesign ADDí when I started, bouncing between several ideas because I wasnít really considering how I wanted proceed. Trying to do too much can quickly mean that nothing gets done, so Iíve since come to the conclusion that I need to start back at the beginning, as it were. Iím going to start by focusing on the Rhino and then the stock Land Raider, and then consider what to do next, once those models have received some attention. Thatís not to say I wonít add other independent kits along with these designs, but these will sever as my focus for now and Iíll use other ideas only when I need some distraction, before they get their own focus in the future.

To the left; well thatís a familiar profile. To the right; and it only takes all of this to draw it accurately.

I see now that itís going to be all but inevitable that Iíll need to create a 3D model of each kit that Iíll be designing for. Itís a lot of work (it took many hours just to get this preliminary 2D sketch done) but once itís finished itís both an invaluable design aid and a very useful tool to consider a design in context rather than floating in space on a screen or in a mindís eye; useful for both me and the potential customer who might want to support the development of the kit.

I started with my old 2D CAD designs when I set to work updating my Rhino Trim kits for rapid prototyping. Importing the files to Solidworks is easy enough, but without getting into unnecessary detail, it became apparent that any time saved would be lost later down the line. This just reinforced that I needed to model the Rhino in Solidworks and create the kits on the model itself. This required recreating themÖ again, but thatís what needs to be done sometimes.

Mk.3 is a refined version of the original Chaos design that takes advantage of some curved lines made possible with the new process.

I really had no idea how popular these Trim Kits were going to be when I started making them. Iím glad to offer what I think is a unique kit that people like, but my old production method for them was simply too labour intensive for me to continue producing them in that manner going forward. Now that Iíve had some time to work with my new vacuum pump, which can pull a stronger vacuum in a fraction of the time, Iím feeling more confident in producing these kits with less labour if I design them properly.

Mk.4 is a intended to be something of a middle ground design; it fits in fine with a Chaos or Renegade force, but with no overt chaos elements also fine for Imperial.

So, these new designs have a much more significant sprew than I was originally considering. Iíve done them this way for two main reasons. Mainly, the vacuum casting process simply needs as many exit points as possible, in logical locations, to permit air bubbles to escape the components. But if Iím going to add in all of those vents, Iím going to do it right and take advantage of them. By adding some extra sprew sections to ensure the parts are completely encircled the delicate Trim components get some extra protection and resist warping when tightly packed for shipping. The delicate nature of the parts being prone to warping in this way was one of the few complaints these kits received, so I hope this alleviates the problem.

Mk.5 is clean cut with no extra embellishment intended more for Imperial vehicles, but naturally theyíll still work just fine in a Renegade or Chaos force.

I still want to do a few more designs to offer more variety, but Iím going to start with these to make sure they cast as intended and there are no kinks in 3D printing parts this thin. With the sprews for support it should be no problem, but I wonít know for sure until I have parts in hand. The bulk of the sprew will also add to the final printing costs, but Iím confident that the modest extra cost is offset by the improvement in production and by proving a better kit for the customer. Itís also a little funny that laying out the parts and designing the sprew took almost as much time as designing the actual kit components; everything always takes longer then youíd expect.

The Mk.2 Rhino Tracks are intended to look aggressive, plain and simple. Inspired by other Ďspikyí tracks Iíve seen, Iím quite pleased with how my take on the idea turned out.

I wanted to recreate the Rhino Track kit I produced before, but again, I want to have the option to offer more variety. It took quite a bit of trial-and-error to come up with two unique link configurations that actually fit the model nicely. For some reason, the size of the wheels on the Rhino model and the angles that are required createÖ problemsÖ when trying to get the links to travel cleanly the entire length of the model.

*Snip* For 10 image per post limit. Continued...
    Last edited by Subtle Discord; 27-11-2017 at 18:51.
    → Nostrum nomen est Legio: pro nos es plures. ←→ Our name is Legion: for we are many. ←

→ Legion Rising ↔ A Black Legion W.I.P. thread on building, bashing, tools, painting, casting, and more.
    → The Dark Works ↔ Spawn of Legion Rising; a selection of my work for those who might be interested.

Based off the original Mk.1 Tracks, the Mk.3 design simply takes advantage of the refinements that can be made to the design in Solidworks.

Again, I’ll start with these two designs, and consider adding a few more in the future. Now that I have a starting point, I can easily strip the tread pattern off of the links and update it to something new. It’s one of the wonderful things about digital design in general. There are many opportunities to explore different ideas without needing to start from scratch; simply save the file as a new iteration and go to town exploring any changes you want, safe in the knowledge that you can return to the original file at any time.

The final full showcase for today is the Incursus Medium Siege-Ram Mk.1 designed for the Rhino chassis.

With this kit you can see an example of what will feature more-and-more in other kits; modular parts that can be switched-and-swapped and/or assembly options to provide the builder with some choice. In this case the smaller hydraulic bits can be rotated and Siege-Ram plate can be mounted either way. Sorta’ like choosing between giving the Ram an under bite or an over bite. I’ll also be doing a Ram plate with some Chaos details at some point, but that’s not a major change now that I have this base 3D model, so I’m focusing on a few other kits first. Such as… (oh, I’m not done yet)

Ok, this is a recycled image but it’s what I’ve got for now and it is what’s getting worked on over the next little while.

I haven’t had a chance to get back to this design while I was working on getting this other stuff ready, but I want to do it to accompany the other Rhino kits so it’s on my virtual workbench again. Naturally, being designed for the cupola opening of the Rhino, it will fit on practically any GW tank, but this is a fitting time to get this kit into production. For now I just want to get the Combi-Flamer/Melta/Plasma components complete and see how it all looks resin, then I’ll consider how I can get a selection of Heavy Weapons to fit the design for a future update.

Hinted at in an earlier image, two new version of the Interitus Missile Launcher, Mk.3 and Mk.4, are in The Works as well.

These kits are almost ready, but the pictured base mounting plate still needs a bit of detailing, and I want to make a smaller mounting plate that can fit the front cupola opening so the builder can choose where they prefer to mount the launcher. There are also a few other tricks designed into the kit in line with the modular swappable parts and assembly options concept that I mentioned earlier. I’ll be sure to showcase those features when it’s done. While not exactly ground-breaking, I’m quite pleased with what I came up with to solve a production problem, and it actually provides more options for the kit. Win-win!

Both the Missile Launcher and the Combi-Weapon kits will be done with Chaos/Renegade versions and Imperial versions similar to the Trim Kits at the beginning of this update. Where it makes sense and where there is demand, I plan to make that a running concept with most kits. I may not able to do every version right away due to costs, but if there’s demand I’ll be happy to cater to it. Which is why I think the ‘Adopt A Kit’ idea should work well. I can finish kits and develop the ones I can afford, and those that people like that I can’t get to right away, they can be supported and helped into production. At least, that’s how I hope it’ll work.

Last but not least, here’s another image of the new Spaced and/or Ablative armour with additional components for the Predator version of the chassis.

This is a perfect example of a kit that would be very hard to create without the 3D Rhino model to work from. For now everything is just floating around the Rhino, so I need to get under it and figure out how it’s all going to actually attach to the model. I’m going to produce this design first as a bit of a test to see how good the final fit of the kit will be. I’ve tried hard to make sure the 3D model of the Rhino is as accurate as possible, but I won’t really know until I have parts that I can work with. I’ll do several tests with templates cut from paper, in an effort to find any mistakes before I send the parts off to be printed, but that won’t be a guarantee since some places are difficult or impossible to test using that method. The turret being one good example. So, the plan is to start with this kit since it can work well with both a Rhino and the Predator. It will used a little less material to start in case there is a significant problem that requires a reprint. And, since it’s a Spaced Armour solution it will be more forgiving on how it fits the model. Hopefully if there are any minor fit issues, I can fix the casting prototype by hand, and make the required adjustments to ‘tune’ the 3D model for future designs.

Ok, with that I’ll bring this sizable update to a close. I was going to ramble a bit about a few other things, but the hour grows late and this has taken a little longer to finish than I was expecting. Those musings will have to wait for another time. As always, comments, questions, suggestions, input, or any other hobby/shop talk are always welcome. Thanks for taking the time to read and having a look.
    Last edited by Subtle Discord; 27-11-2017 at 18:52.
    → Nostrum nomen est Legio: pro nos es plures. ←→ Our name is Legion: for we are many. ←

→ Legion Rising ↔ A Black Legion W.I.P. thread on building, bashing, tools, painting, casting, and more.
    → The Dark Works ↔ Spawn of Legion Rising; a selection of my work for those who might be interested.

A great attention to detail as always SD.

I must admit with your skills I'd be intrigued to see what designs you would come up with for Primaris marines.

Thanks Lost Egg. I take pride in my attention to detail and I've received lots of good feedback for my efforts. It's not like I would do it any different, but I'm glad people appreciate the consideration I try to put into everything I do.

The release of the new Primaris marines puts me in a bit of a catch-22. While I'm not a fan of every design choice they made, the new kits are really nice. However, despite how nice the kits are, personally I'm just not interested in starting a Loyalist marine army. Having that personal interest in the models helps to foster the creative ideas, and naturally it helps in justifying the purchase of the models that would be required to create my kits. While I'm positive I'll get to them in the future, I've got several things I need to catch up on before I turn my creative gaze to the Primaris. All in good time.

Late night (early morning?) teaser! I should be getting to bed, but I just got done 3D modeling the new Pintol Weapons Kit and it seemed worthy of a screenshot. I'm very pleased with how these turned out.

Designation to be determined; Combi-Melta to the left and Combi-Bolters to the right. Renegade/Chaos version pictured, a 'clean' Imperial version will also be available.

Further updates to follow soon, including a showcase on how these and other kits will assemble. Both of these weapons are built from exactly the same parts. The choice to have the weapons to the left or to the right is made during assembly, and everything is magnet ready (will be included in the kit) so the weapons rotate and tilt, as well as permitting the owner to switch-and-swap the weapons anytime.

I like the compact design of these.

Excellent! That's exactly what I was going for with this design. I've mentioned earlier that I've done pintol weapons a few times, but they were always too tall for my liking, so this time I shaved every millimeter I could off of the height. additionally, instead of stacking the elements I placed them side-by-side, and taking some inspiration from GW, I chose to have the ammo feeds and cables extend down into the base of the model.

It continues to be great fun to witness the evolution of your capabilities. Do you have an estimate as to when your Tutamon Mk.I Heavy Siege Wall Kit will be available again?
    *Things I've Done For Retail Sales *40K Project Log *Fantasy Project Log *Airbrush Information & Advice *Finishing Joins On Plastic Parts
    40K Armies: Dark Angels Tau Orks Eldar WFB Armies: Vampire Counts Bretonnians High Elves

It's hard to say with the Tutamon Siege Wall will return. I'm half tempted to re-master it as I am with most kits, but it would be somewhat expensive compared to many since it's quite bulky, so it's also tempting to remould the current master prototypes. Let me ponder on it a bit, and once I start pricing other rapid prototyping orders that are smaller, I'll get a better idea what it will cost to update it verse sticking with the current model. Sometime in the next few months, if my studio starts to find its legs like I'm expecting.

Second verse! Same as the first! How about another late night (early morning) teaser. Who needs sleep. All my late nights in college have given a pseudo-superpower, I can resist the urge the sleep when properly motivated, and indeed I find working late at night my most productive hours. As time goes by, I'm seeing that the choice of studio name seems appropriate on a few levels. "We like the dark. Dark for dark business." as Tolkien once wrote, if I recall correctly, just before a particular Hobbit went off, there and back again.

Interitus (Aka: Havoc) Missile Launcher 2.0 is almost finished. Here's a look at the at the leaner 10 missile rack in a clean line Imperial style. As shown earlier, there will also be a slightly larger 12 missile rack in the same style, and of course a version with Chaos/Renegade elements.

Top Left: Proximity Incendiary. Top Right: Impact High Explosive. Bottom Left: Proximity Fragmentation. Bottom Right: Impact Armour Piercing.

Pick your poison. I'm particularly happy with the swappable missile component that I have devised which will let the builder choose their preferred loadout for the missile rack, all while sharing the base components. Again, I'll showcase how it actually assembles in the near future as the entire batch of kits gets closer to absolutely complete. The Interitus Missile Racks are very close and then I'm going to focus on the spaced armour to finish the first batch of ideas that will be presented together and put up for production adoption in my shop. Thanks as always for following along.

Librarian Servant of the Emperor's Avatar

Wow, those havoc launchers are fantastic!

Chapter Master Garanaul the Black's Avatar
    In the not too distant future, next Sunday A.D.....

Fantastic work, your design skills are first rate!
    We saved Mystery Science Theater 3000! Season 11 is on Netflix NOW!

SEASON 12 WAS CONFIRMED AT THE VERY END OF THE TURKEY DAY MARATHON! *swoon*

It's on Random: A mostly CSM PLOG

Thanks! I won't lie and say it's not challenging, but I'm having serious fun actually getting these ideas in my head into a form that I can actually see them, and finally share them. Speaking of the 10 missile rack compared to the 12 missile rack, here's an image of the latter to give an idea how the larger/taller version will compare.

Very similar (as intended) to the other version of this design, you can also see the smaller mounting plate I've created to give more flexibility to where it can be added.

Aaand because I I got the itch to show it off a bit more completely, here's a quick exploded view to help show how the kit will assemble.

I'll ramble more about all sorts of features, options, and design philosophy for all my work when I can show more mages to better illustrate what I'll want to explain, but this image can give a quick-and-dirty (*Gasp!* I can see the under bits-and-pieces! Shameful!) idea of how the kit comes together.

Great stuff.

Cheers,

CB

Welcome back everyone. Please check your old PLOGs and update photos that have been lost in the hack or Photobucket block.
    Elysian Army PLOG - Tau Army PLOG - Ork Army PLOG - Sisters of Battle PLOG - Necromunda Imperial Guard Army PLOG - Alaitoc Eldar PLOG
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others - Warseer FAQ
    Selling OOP GW Books and Games - Interested in buying oop metal Eldar

*Subtle Discord suddenly appears wearing a cheesy ill-fitting tweed suit with a mustard stain on the lapel*

Wellll youíre in luck, my good friend. *pats you on the shoulder, grabbing it in a slightly intrusive way* Come on over here, Iíve got a few beauties with your name written all over them. Low kilometers, power steering, air conditioned, tracks that are virtually new, and ready to paint (not included) in any colour you can imagine. *offers a sly crooked smile as he leads you towards a row of vehicles*

Thereís very simple reason why Iím choosing to develop this kit first, and this illustrates it perfectly.

The current Extra/Reinforced Armour Kit available at my shop that I designed to fit Rhino chassis was really done from the start with the Predator tank in mind. Not that thereís anything wrong with that, but after being asked if I had (or planned to) Armour Kits that fit just the Rhino, I noticed a big oversight on my part. Take the Predator bits away, and in my opinion, the armour plates that remain donít suit the Rhino as well as Iíd like. So, Iím creating this armour kit specifically to work well with the Rhino and the Predator.

In fact, looking at it now on the digital Rhino model from the back it seems a bit sparse for my liking, I think it needs just a bit more to make it complete, so Iím going to create a set of top hatch doors to fit in with the Rhino iteration of this kit; theyíll be super easy to do and I think theyíll add the last bit that will complete the look for the Rhino.

So once I was (mostly) happy with the design on just the Rhino, then I worked on making suit the Predator.

With the turret and sponsons in place Iím very pleased with the results. I wanted to add enough armour to make it look like it can actually provide additional protection, while still portraying what is supposed to be Ďlightí armour. To me, it feels like the vehicle has been upgraded to resist ground fire from the front and sides, and try to protect soft points, while still leaving it vulnerable to attacks from above and behind in a plausible way. An effort to balance increased protection with the weight that would be added to the chassis.

Heck, since Iíve started to pontificate, let us have a closer look at the counts-as Combi-weapons Iíve recently finished.

As mentioned, Iíve done my take on all four weapon systems. Itís was a bit of a challenge fitting some details into such a small area that can do a good job of distinguishing each of the unique weapons; the Bolter gets ammo feeds, the Flamer has a pressure cylinder and pipes, the Melta has heat syncs and a corrugated hose, and the Plasma has a coil and fuel cell. You can hardly see them, but I donít think that matters.

Designing the kit in a thoughtful way offers the builder several different assembly options as well as permitting the weapon to tilt and rotate.

Naturally, any magnets that are required during assembly will be included in the kit. While it wonít have a massive amount of tilt when assembled, I think itís still more than enough to emulate that the weapon can track ground targets as the vehicle advances over rough terrain. As mentioned earlier, I will be looking how I can fit a selection of heavy weapons into this assembly, but Iíll wait to start the design until Iíve made these a reality and see how they turn out. Itís a small kit so it will be cost effective to use as a test.

Currently, Iím finishing up the Armour Kit with some Chaos/Renegade detailing and as I mentioned, I also want to create some hatch doors for the Rhino version as a last minute addition to the kit. *Subtle ponders if he should also do side doors or if that would take it too far* From there Iíll need to get the sprews and vents needed for production attached to the parts, and that in itself can take longer than youíd expect; but even with that to do, these kits are in the absolute final stretch and ready to go very soon. I canít wait to start seeing these transform from digital concepts to actual resin.

Buuut, with that said, since Iíve been working so hard on these designs Iíve decided to reward myself with a weekend off to get away from the digital workbench and get some actual painting time in! Thatís right, actual paint! A while back I came to the conclusion that I must give myself weekends off to actually do my hobby as, you know, a hobby. Iíve chosen to postpone that a bit while I get the studio up-and-running, but it will be something I honour going forward, so expect to see more-and-more personal projects and actual paint on models as time goes by and I get my studio routine sorted out.

Ok, thanks again for joining me on this small step in my journey as I endeavour to make ideas real and create some of the best 3rd party kits on the market. As always, comments, questions, input, and general musings are always welcome, but if you prefer to lurk thatís great too.

*Subtle wanders off to find something to paint*

Commander

Love where you're going with this stuff and very much appreciate your attention to detail

Thanks! I'm very happy that the attention to detail is showing. It really is something I strive for and I take pride in the results. Sometimes I worry that I overthink the details a bit too much, but I've come to accept that it's just how I do things, and for the customers that I'm trying to appeal to, I think they will appreciate it and that's what really matters.

ItísÖ The Legion Rising Show!

*Cue The Benny Hill Show theme song Ė Yakety Sax*

Now, including spectacular colour! Thatís right, actual paint!

Iíve magnetized my models for years to facilitate my eventual need to transport them, but itís quite useful for painting too.

I mount a small neodymium magnet in the center of the base (or several, in the case of larger models) and then I attach a layer of magnetic sheet cleanly finish the process. The rare earth magnet provides the main sticking power while the magnetic sheet adds to the effect by making the entire base hold firm. Needless to say, I have no fear of models knocking free when theyíre on a metal tray. Added bonus, itís super simple to add a bit of metal to the end of a piece of dowel so I can paint without touching the model. Not as useful when youíre doing sub-assemblies, like in this case, but better than a poke in the eye.

As mentioned, I invested in an airbrush a while back, settling on a Badger Sotar 20/20 based on reviews, videos of performance, and helpful input; a key feature was its ability to switch between a very fine 0.20mm needle, a medium 0.45mm needle, and a large 0.70mm needle, to suit the range of jobs I expect to use it on. I helped to rationalize the purchase by using it first to paint the thesis model for my bachelorís degree, so letís just say it forced me to overcome any fears of a learning curve very quickly as I used it for the first time on an extremely critical project. As a funny addition to the experience, I painted my model a bright yellow to contrast with black and dark grey details, and used the entire bottle of airbrush yellow paint I purchased for the task. It was a rather large model. Caught in a pinch, with parts that still needed paint and no time to get a new bottle, I turned to my hobby supplies and pulled out a very old bottle of Sunburst Yellow; to my surprise it was a very close match and despite it being very thick and needing to be rejuvenated, it saved my bacon.

On hobby models, once you get past the intimidating initial learning curve of using an airbrush, it really is a significant game changer, completely altering how one might consider going about painting a model. Even simply applying primer is elevated, with it able to apply it in wonderfully smooth layers while offering complete control over coverage. While rattle spray cans are not exactly hard to use there are occasions when they can be temperamental, creating a less than desirable surface finish, and they simply canít get into the nooks-and-crannies of a model like an airbrush without applying way too much primer to everywhere else. Once you get the hang of it with the airbrush the progress is brilliantly quick.

To start Iím doing a 10x unit of Vanguard with three Plasma Calivers and a 10x unit of Rangers with two Transuranic Arquebus'.

All hail the ever useful Poster Tack! Great for working on perfecting a pose, and helpful in this case for keeping the bits-n-pieces on their assigned painting stick. They do fall off from time-to-time but itís easy to replace them and it still greatly reduces how much I would normally handle them. If youíre painting Skitarii I strongly suggest keeping them separate at the waist to save your sanity; Iím assuming they are intended to be painted this way as I simply canít see how you could get under the long coats otherwise. I had started assembling them with both arms in place, but I soon changed my mind as I looked at the model. While it will take a bit more care to do the final assembly, I find it takes much more effort to paint all the nooks-and-crannies of these models when both arms are in place. By attaching the left arm (using the right arm to ensure itís in the correct position) it will be an easy task to attach the right arm in perfect alignment in the future. Some carefully placed bits of Poster Tack is also perfect for masking the areas that will need plastic-on-plastic contact.

In keeping with my current preference for a cold-centric paint scheme Blue, Silver, and Black will be my primary colours, with Green used as the main accent colour.

It canít be understated just how much faster it was to paint these coats/cloaks with an airbrush and to a much higher quality and uniformity than I could ever hope for by hand. I might be able to get the blend reasonably close by hand since it is a nice smooth flat surface, but without a doubt, it would take me muuuch longer. I started rather cautiously at first, but quickly found my groove and sped up considerably once I got into it. To get them to this point was surprisingly straightforward.

• Two layers of Vallejo Magic Blue over a Black prime.
    • Two layers of Blue Wash; the first over the entire area with some quick wet blending to keep most of the shading up near the torso, and a second selective application to reinforce the shade effect at the top of the model. I didn't worry too much about getting a perfect blend or if any shading dripped/drooped too low, because the final Blue application cleans it up nicely.
    • After that, I used an airbrush to blend the Magic Blue back up from the bottom.
    • From here I will be using Vallejo Magic Blue combined with Vallejo Electric Blue to work up the highlights.
    • Cleaned up all the non-cloak bits with Black.
    • A layer of Vallejo Air Silver was hand painted on; by far one of the best acrylic Silver paints Iíve used with a normal brush or through an airbrush.
    • A Single Black wash over the Silver and a cleanup with Black paint (still in progress).

In order to avoid using rust and adding the warm element it would bring to the theme, Iíve decided to borrow a bit of inspiration from the fiction of Lucius Forge World and bend it some to fit my purpose. Atrum Laboris is skilled at producing quality metal alloys so wargear of their manufacture is resistant to typical corrosion or oxidation, and prone only to superficial tarnishing, developing a darkening patina over time; I may take the idea further, making Alphas and other veteran models darker and more tarnished to reflect the fiction. So, with that base covered, when it comes time to weather some of this strong colour down Iíll focus on grease, dust, soot, and carbon to add more grit and grime to the models, instead of rust and oxidization.

Ok, so not the largest update, but progress... measurable, quantifiable, documentable, painting progress!! I'm already starting to dread all the little fiddly bits, but really, only a little bit. It's sooo cathartic to finally be able to get back painting again I'm eager to push forward. Now that I have control of my schedule I can also start doing it more regularly. Being forced away from it for so long, even if for the best of intentions and outcomes, has left me quite hungry and the prospect of doing 40-60 of these actually feels like a treat! Let's hope the enthusiasm lasts. I think it will. I need to get to the Onagers, after all. Mmm... walking tanks with... Neutron Lazor Beams!

Ok, design philosophy time! Where we delve a little into the dark nooks-and-crannies of Subtleís design process to learn just how much he overthinks things, but in a good way!

Itís funny, one of the most profound lessons I learned while attending college is actually quite straightforward and one of the most frustrating truths Iíve been forced to accept. Put simply, as you design something almost every task it requires during the development will take longer to complete than youíll expect it to. The general guideline my professor gave was roughly 3-to-1 and they seem to be close to the mark; if you expect a task will take you about 1 hour to complete, donít be surprised when it takes 3 or more hours to finally finish. For some reason, despite coming to experience this firsthand, over-and-over, I struggle to take this into account and adjust my expectations to something realistic.

In this case, Iím on the final steps to completing the first batch of 3D models and that requires filleting (read: rounding) the hard/sharp edges of a model ever-so-slightly. This subtle step takes the designed object from something of a rough state to a refined finished state and itís quite noticeable in image renderings of a design and ultimately the final production of an object. Itís not particularly hard to do (although it can be tricky in some locations of a model if the geometry is complex) but it is completely mind-numbing and takes a painfully long time to finish. Needless to say, what I thought would be done in days is taking longer than I expected. And I donít even want to get started on adding sprews, gates, and vents, which you would think isnít that tedious, but I digress.

TLDR: Iím putting the final touches and details on the first batch of 3D models. They look great but daaamn itís taking longer than I expected. Note to self: Attention to detail simply takes time; adjust schedule expectations accordingly.

The redesign of the Interitus Missile Launcher (counts-as Havoc Launcher) is an excellent 3D prototype build to illustrate the design choices I make in order to create the best possible kit I can devise. Three main ideas guide my choices. 1) Find ways to improve how the model will be produced; is there anything I can do to make it easier to cast, improve the lifespan of the mould, and/or reduce the chances of casting flaws? 2) Find ways to make it assemble with the least amount of frustration; what can I do to ensure everything assembles with the least amount of cleanup and effort? 3) Find straightforward ways to add assembly options to a kit for more variety; what opportunities present themselves that might let me add more assembly options?

By offsetting the mounting point on a round plate simply rotating the plate changes the launcherís position on the model.

A very simple design choice lets the builder put the missile launcher where they want; to the left, right, front, or back. Not anything elaborate by any stretch, but a good idea doesnít need to be complex.

I initially split the mounting Ďyokeí for the launcher into two parts to make it easier to cast each of the parts.

Soon after I split the part I noticed how easy it would be to add a few extra holes to match the small locking key detail. This, in turn, lets the builder assemble the launcher centered, or to the left, or to the right. Again, not exactly elaborate, but itís also not exactly difficult to add the option, so why not?

I try to design kits to complement each other in both design style and how they function.

Modularity, itís a good thing. Not only do I want my kits to interact well with each other; using the provided assembly options should help to avoid clearance issues. I also want kits to be able to switch and swap logical parts with each other. In general, if parts from one kit look like they could fit with another kit, odds are good that they will. MmmmÖ options.

Sometimes you design to solve a problem, sometimes you design to add a feature, and sometimes one leads to the other.

When youíre creating a casting prototype itís in your best interest to avoid details that will create a Ďknife edgeí in the mould rubber. Rubber that forms very thin shapes like this will tend to deform very quickly and because they are delicate they are also prone to tearing well before the rest of the mould wears out. Due to the shape, the ring around a missile sitting in a tube is a good example of this and it was one of the main problems I had with my first attempted making the Interitus Missile Launcher; this thin bit of rubber would first deform, and then eventually tear free, ruining the gap that is meant to simulate a missile sitting in a launch tube. At first, I considered widening the gap in an effort to make the rubber thicker and more resistant to tearing, but Iím much happier with this final solution for several reasons.

By completely splitting the part into two components I solve the initial problem and in turn, I created an opportunity to add some more assembly options.

I was pleased with solving the problem in this reasonably simple way. The Ďknife-edgeí issue is completely resolved and since theyíre both flat-backed parts it wonít be any harder to cast these two components as it would be to cast it as a single piece.

If they choose, the builder will also have the option of painting the parts separately which should help the assembly process. It also makes it very easy for the builder to remove some of the missiles if they want to have the missile rack appear to have fired a few volleys of ordinance. Itís a pet peeve of mine when a missile rack on a model has a few missiles missing by default; if itís ever duplicated in the collection they all look the same and I personally hate that kind of repetition in a collection. Let the builder make that choice, dammit!

As shown earlier in the thread, this also makes it very easy to create several unique varieties of missile for the builder to choose from.

Not every kit will get this many small options on how it can assemble, but this is an excellent example of how I try to discover opportunities to improve every model I design. It can take longer to complete a design as I work through the process, but I think itís the kind of attention to detail that people will really appreciate as my kits start arriving in their hobby spaces. I build these models and miniatures too, so I know how nice it is when something assembles without too much fuss, and a little bit of choice when I build is never a bad thing. I aim to combine this design philosophy with top quality execution to produce some of the best kits on the market. Itís going to take a little while for me to find my stride, but itís finally starting and I canít wait to see where this all leads.

More updates coming sooníish. Hopefully, with some actual first 3D prints in hand. But for now, itís Saturday, time to go and paint something!

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast