Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15

Thread: Legion Rising - A WIP Thread from The Dark Works

Commander

Re: Legion Rising - A WIP Thread from The Dark Works

It's definitely worth taking your time over and it shows in the quality of your designs SD. As the saying goes 'Think twice, do once'.

Veteran Sergeant Subtle Discord's Avatar

Thanks! Yep, that's my style, but I've finally started to tone down the perfectionist a little in the name of actual progress; what's the point of something being perfect if it never gets flippin' done?! That's not to say I don't still pay a lot of attention to detail (mistakes with these will cost me money, not just hobby time), but it's got to go from virtual to reality, after all.
    → Nostrum nomen est Legio: pro nos es plures. ←→ Our name is Legion: for we are many. ←

→ Legion Rising ↔ A Black Legion W.I.P. thread on building, bashing, tools, painting, casting, and more.
    → The Dark Works ↔ Spawn of Legion Rising; a selection of my work for those who might be interested.

From the forest of paint bottles, they emerge. Super organized painter, I is not. Maybe I should consider changing that habit...

So close to being finished the base paint job, it's painful to have to stop working on this squad, but my hobby ration for the week has been consumed.

It's odd that the camera seems to make the highlights on the weapons seem a bit brighter then they are in person. They really do 'pop' much more in the images. Just one of those side-effects of pixellating the image, I suppose.

I'm reconsidering doing the eyes bit brighter and with a bit of glow. I used a very tiny bit of transparent blue to give the lights on the chest a bit of OSL and I think it worked out well considering how painless it was. A little fiddly, but not all that hard so I guess I'll try it on the eyes and see. I'm the first to admit it's a very straightforward colour scheme that's not taking too many risks, but I think it's working well to give them a calculating clinical look.
    → Nostrum nomen est Legio: pro nos es plures. ←→ Our name is Legion: for we are many. ←

→ Legion Rising ↔ A Black Legion W.I.P. thread on building, bashing, tools, painting, casting, and more.
    → The Dark Works ↔ Spawn of Legion Rising; a selection of my work for those who might be interested.

That is a lovely blue with some smooth shading.

With the lights on their chests did you just paint a bit of transparent blue around the light or was it a more detailed process? Cos they do look very good

Thanks. Initially, I was intending to do the blue darker to be more ominous and well... dark, but as I established the background fiction for the Forge World and it included a bright blue sun I chose to brighten it up considerably. I can thank the airbrush (Badger Sotar 20/20) for all of the smooth blending work and it was very straightforward; a base of Vallejo Magic Blue, two coats of Blue Wash with a bit of quick wet blending to concentrate it to the top of the robes, and then I used the airbrush to blend the Magic Blue back up from the bottom. From there it got a little bit of highlighting, mostly on the edges, with Magic Blue and Electric Blue in three steps; Magic Blue to start, a 50/50 mix as a middle step, and then Electric Blue to finish.

You are correct about the Transparent Blue. It's painted on by hand very sparingly with a bit of quick blending to soften the edges, and that's it. It's a really strong pigment paint so only a very tiny bit, thinned down considerably, is needed. Just enough to stain the surface with a hint of blue. I picked up the whole range of 'Transparent' paints (primary and secondary colours) from Vallejo for just this kind of task and haven't had a chance to try them until now. I haven't used them much, but so far I really like the results and I think I'll be using them often. From there I did the lights with a base of Electric Blue, a mid-tone of 50/50 Electric mixed with Glacier Blue, and then a bit of thinned Glacier Blue put on in 2-3 layers to blend the edges a bit. I've also done a bit of OSL to add a few glints of light on edges surrounding the light and where it makes sense that the light would be striking a surface directly in the path.

I'm very happy with how they turned out, but now I'm wondering if I should have done them in green to provide more of a contrasting colour to the already abundant blue. My initial logic was that they're meant to be a blue-white light that is a practical light source for the soldier, but I forgot that they have a shoulder mounted light on their backpacks that suits that logic better. As much as I like the results and I hate the idea of redoing the work, I think the green would add a bit of visual interest that they're kinda' lacking right now. Grrrr... damn my hobby-OCD and perfectionist's eye. I'll never get anything done if I backtrack too much.

Thanks Subtle

Do you have any plans to add flock or vegetation as that could be used to add an extra splash of colour.

No problem at all. I'm always happy to ramble a bit about my process.

Nope, I'm going for my take on an 'Ashen Waste' kind of basing scheme, so what you see is about all it's going to get, except maybe another highlight to add a bit more contrast. Since I want the Mechanicus force to be cohesive with my Chaos army (which I'll return to at some point), and future projects I won't be changing the basing up at all. I'm doing a bit of work on the green lights on the backpacks and it's turning out so nicely that I'm getting over the idea of redoing them. It won't be all that bad and I think it's just the kind of modest detail that will add the interest I think they need.

It's not that bad really, but it does reinforce that I should have taken the time to test both before committing to the first ten models. Note to self, for the next time something like this comes up; when in doubt, do a few a test model or two of each idea when plausible.

Thanks as always for the interest. One of these days when I'm not so busy I need to follow up with so many of the people who comment on my work and explore what they're up to in some proper depth. So many great things to explore, never enough time!

Brought up in another corner of the interweb I figured it wouldn't hurt to share this elsewhere. When I say I'm considering green, this is what I mean...

I took a bit of time and did some backpacks in the planned green and it forced me to do at least one test model to see what it looks like.

While I'm happy with how I executed the blue lights, I still think it's a bit too much blue on blue. I think the green just breaks up the monotony of so... much... blue... Even the green eyes I'm thinking of brightening a bit to add a bit more punch.

With regards to the execution, I should give credit where credit is due. I've mentioned these Transparent paints from Vajello a few times the last while but until now I hadn't used them.

I picked these up when I got my airbrush hoping that they will compliment it and I'm happy to finally discover that they do.

I've only just started playing around with them so I can't provide really in-depth feedback on how to best use them but so far they're working as I was hoping they would. Subtle glow effects are most effective when the colour that is being projected on a surface is staining the surface and letting the base surface/colour show through. Thinning paints to get this effect can be tricky since many colours have additives that are meant to help the paint cover and be opaque; from what I can tell these paints are simply the colour pigments in acrylic binding medium, minus the opaquing additives. Many painters would use inks to achieve this kind of effect but inks are water-like in consistency, so I prefer this product because it has a little more body and it acts more like paint when you attempt to blend the edges.

In this case, I brushed the colours on the chest pieces and did a bit of blending to get the desired effect and I used my airbrush to add it to the backpacks so it could do the blending work for me. Both times it was used straight from the bottle and built up to get the desired effect. They look very bright and vivid in the bottle and when you initially put them on a surface, especially if it's heavy, but they mute down as they dry and become more transparent. The pigment is very concentrated so a very tiny bit can go quite far. So, a light touch and using a small amount is best while you get used to how they'll affect a surface they're being used on.

All look amazing

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15