Page 1 of 93 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Codex: Space Marines

Codex: Space Marines

Up for release in September is the new Codex: Space Marines.

- There will be 7 Ltd Ed varients. 6 of these will be covers for First Founding chapters, whilst the 7th will have Black Templars on the cover.

- New weapon family: Grav weapons. I believe these wound against the armour save (so terminators would be wounded as if they had a toughness of 2).

- First Founding chapters will be getting a substantial section each to themselves, so hopefully this can be looked as as Codex: Space Marines instead of Codex: Ultramarines. This will also show in a rule called Chapter Tactics, for which the effects depend on the chapter being played.

- There is a new armour type that at first glance looks to be somewhere between a terminator and a dreadnought - looking more closely, it appears to go over the marine's power armour however.
    - This new armour can be armed in 2 ways, depending on the user. The devastator version has either a bolter array or missile launchers mounted on the chest armour, whilst the gauntlets can be armed with heavy bolters, lascannons or grav cannons. The assault version has a bolter array or frag launchers mounted on the chest armour, with assault drills mounted on the gauntlets.

- There are 2 new AA tanks. One tank veterans will already be familiar with as the Hunter, armed an AA missile launcher. The other tank mounts 2 tri-barreled turrets instead.

- There is a new tactical squad. Lots of options as you'd expect, but of particular interest will probably be the grav pistol and grav rifle.

- A new plastic Sternguard veteran squad.

- A new plastic Vanguard veteran squad.

- New plastic characters: a captain, a librarian and a chaplain.

Re: Codex: Space Marines

Cool, cheers for that Best Pone. Chapter tactics sounds good.
    Oh Pyrovore, you're like the Eeyore of 40K

Black Templars on the cover? I'm guessing they won't be getting their own codex then. Do they also get they own Chapter Tactics rule, or does that only apply to 1st Foundings?

This all sounds good - now the question will be to start a new army or add to my current one.

That is a lot of plastic.
    Tactical kit.
    Sternguard
    Vanguard, which Iguess could be a dualkit.
    Tank that is probably dualkit.
    Mini-dreads.
    That is 4 kits if they are dual, then 3 plastic characters? Sure none of them are finecast?

Also, no grav weapons for the first legion. Suck it up

Well, three plastic boxes of power armor marines sounds like overkill to me, but, on the other hand, power armor sells.
    I expect the Vanguard and Sternguard marines will look as good as Red Scorpions honor guard from FW

Veteran Sergeant

I hope they decide to throw a few old marks of armour on the new tac frame! Surprised there's not going to be a new massive kit for them too, but the list of releases does sound rather tasty!

Poor Dark Angels, haha.
    Oh Pyrovore, you're like the Eeyore of 40K

The grav weapons sound a little odd to me, they seem to break from the marine staple of everything being a bit good against everything. Even things like the thunderfire and flamers can be used to some effect against 2+ saves, where as missile devastators are handy against hoard armies despite being mainly an anti tank weapon, these weapons sound almost too good against elite armies and useless against hoards.

Of course the inner cynic would suggest that GW would like people to buy less elite troops and more lower point options. What do other people think?
    If I've helped you at all please return the favour and have a look at my current army list and leave a comment:
    New Codex 1500pt Drop Pod Salamanders
    Also Check Out My Gallery
    Cheers!

Chapter Master

So, tank dual kit, exo-armour kit, and 1-3 infantry kits. I'd love the new tactical squad, sternguard squad and vanguard kits to be seperate, but they could easily combine the tac and sternguard, and then the Vanguard can make nice assaulters too. And really, another plastic captain? If he isn't a terminator, it's a bit of a waste, unless he can represent artificer armour or something
    2014:Minis bought-52 Minis painted-1

Goal for 2014: Why you'll find it in my PLog of course!

6th ed 40k W/L/D: Eldar:1/1/0 Necrons:2/0/0 Dark Eldar:0/0/1 Grey Knights:0/0/1
    8th ed WHFB W/L/D: High Elves 1/0/0

Sounds good. I assume, we will see the corresponding anouncement and picture in the next WD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Avian View Post
    Now if you'll excuse me, I'm writing the Warseer version of "The Emperor's new clothes". In this version, when one guy points out that the Emperor is walking around stark naked, everyone gets mad at him and the two fraudsters who sold the invisible clothes get to carry on as normal.

I expect terminator too...Apocalypse gave us another 4 PA captains...and that makes 9-10 generic captains, plus chapter specific ones...

I must say the rest of the release sounds very good, with a new tactical box and plenty of other plastics.

Edit.

Removed confusing maths about the LE books.

Chapter Master my_name_is_tudor's Avatar

I've been waiting for new Tacticals for months before starting a new Crusade army.

Knowing there'll also be plastic veterans is awesome! @best_pone: any chance this is a dual kit? (See Death Company)

'Assault drills' sound a bit odd. I wonder what the fluff will be behind this new armour?

Also I'm sad to see no mention of a new Dreadnought kit. The current one is too piddly!
    I am on Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglesworth View Post
    Ok, so there are 9 Loyal first founding chapters... Dark Angels have their own book, so 8 for our purposes. Black Templars Take up one of the slots. Blood Angels Also have their own Codex so that leaves 7 first foundlings.

Assuming Ultras are on the standard codex and also have their own special edition, that means 2 first founding chapters won't have their own cover... Time to guess which ones GW thinks are the least popular

I must say the rest of the release sounds very good, with a new tactical box and plenty of other plastics.

Ooops, space wolves have their own book too, so only one will lose out!
    Glad you remembered Space Wolves, Black Templars are a Second Founding Chapter.

Chapter Master my_name_is_tudor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglesworth View Post
    Your right, I've adjusted my post, but this means only one first founding misses out, unless Ultras don't have their own special edition.
    Eh? 9 first founding loyalist chapters. Minus SW, BA and DA equals 6. Best_pone says 7 limited editions, six for the remaining first founding chapters and one for BT.
    I am on Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Jorald View Post
    Glad you remembered Space Wolves, Black Templars are a Second Founding Chapter.

Indeed, but the rumour suggests they are getting a LE book cover.

Hopefully the new suits will be good for Obliterator/Mutilator conversions.
    Assault and shooty versions makes me wonder if they're the SM answer to those?
    Forge of Chaos
    O wretched man! For with greatest ruin shall fall the building of his life, because he looketh not to the foundation of Death.

Quote Originally Posted by my_name_is_tudor View Post
    Eh? 9 first founding loyalist chapters. Minus SW, BA and DA equals 6. Best_pone says 7 limited editions, six for the remaining first founding chapters and one for BT.
    Ooops, Well thats what happens when you get your maths skills from watching Top Gear... Will ammend my posts to avoid confusion!

Please tell me grav weapons ignore cover. More than ready to build a squad with the express purpose of killing Ravenwing and Eldar jetbikes.

Page 1 of 93 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast