Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Building spaceships

Building spaceships

For years I've been wanting to create my own ships. I started scratchbuilding some Ork ships (see some of those results here), but after that I stopped building ships for a long time.

Now with the wonderful opportunities of 3d printing and CNCing, I decided to give it another shot.

I've always been in love with the Homeworld ships, so I started designing something inspired by it.

And here the latest version:

A friend of mine has a CNC machine that can cut stuff in 3d, but he isn't sure if the machine will be able to cut the model since it's going to be very small. Which leaves me to ponder a bit. What can I do? I know there are 3d printing services out there, but most of the 3d printed stuff I've seen seems to lack in detail (even stuff that is meant to be detailed). Furthermore, it's going to be rather expensive to print without hollowing out the model (and even then it will most likely be expensive). Also, hollowing the model out might not be such a great idea for a prototype if I would want to cast it later on (pressure can break the model).

I remember in the past GW used to have these '3 times as bigger' versions of their models, I vaguely remember reading about it in a WD once that it was part of the production process. Anybody got more info or experiences regarding that?
    Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Space ship design project

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Re: Building spaceships

Looking cool. Maybe spread some antenas?
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum."
    --------------------------
    Comparisons of sizes: W40k vs other models
    http://www.pbase.com/hammerbolt/compare

I was pondering about that. Problem with antennas is, is that they're rather fragile. Also, on this scale (a ship is supposed to be around a kilometer long) having antennas that are clearly noticable would be that huge that it might almost seem ridiculous.

However, if I were to add them, I'd place them on the front of the ship.

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Here another more schematic look:

Top view:

Bottom view:

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by malika View Post
    I was pondering about that. Problem with antennas is, is that they're rather fragile. Also, on this scale (a ship is supposed to be around a kilometer long) having antennas that are clearly noticable would be that huge that it might almost seem ridiculous.

However, if I were to add them, I'd place them on the front of the ship.
    if it's a km long, it won't have antennae, so much as it would have things like cell phone towers. Feels a lot like a SW Blockade runner, with a different nose and tail section

I've been thinking about the details, and well... I'm making the ship rather detailed, in some cases the final version will even have 0.001mm parts. Which is all very cool of course, but you wouldn't even be able to see it.

So I was thinking. I'll keep making this model super detailed, and once it's done just make a copy of the model (which will be the one that will be made BFG scale), and start removing too small parts.

How detailed should I go though? I was thinking of at most going at 0.1mm, or very maybe at 0.125mm.

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

I've been thinking about the details, and well... I'm making the ship rather detailed, in some cases the final version will even have 0.001mm parts. Which is all very cool of course, but you wouldn't even be able to see it.

So I was thinking. I'll keep making this model super detailed, and once it's done just make a copy of the model (which will be the one that will be made BFG scale), and start removing too small parts.

How detailed should I go though? I was thinking of at most going at 0.1mm, or very maybe at 0.125mm.
    Compare it with the battleships and dreadnoughts Spartan makes for Firestorm Armada
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum."

But it says nothing about the scale, sizes or details. Got more info on that?

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

But it says nothing about the scale, sizes or details. Got more info on that?
    They are roughly BFG-sized, and are stunning models. I can post a pic comparing some vs BFG tonight, if you like.

You have both models? Could you then also measure the Firestorm models? I would imagine that the smallest details would be 0.1mm, I mean...can you really see details that are smaller than that?

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Little update:

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

You have both models? Could you then also measure the Firestorm models? I would imagine that the smallest details would be 0.1mm, I mean...can you really see details that are smaller than that?
    I'll post it tonight (roughtly 6-7 hours from now )

Right, here we go.

This is a Sorylian Collective Swordbreaker Class Battleship, 2nd largest ship of this race. The other is a BFG Dauntless class Light Cruiser (scale is on top)

Thanks for the comparison picture! I was thinking of having the model be around 9-10cm in length. But it might be a hassle with the details, need to either make them slightly bigger (stuff smaller than 0.5mm because very difficult to see), or just stick to making a bigger model. Need to figure that out...

In the meanwhile...

Started working on the prow, meaning that the main design is almost finished. Just need to build the front plate of the prow, and add some additional details to the distortion engine and exhausts area...

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

By the way, somebody over at the Anargo forums posted this:

Really want to play with that now...

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

I'll hope to have the new turrets and a first version of a drop pod ready later this week.

In the meantime...

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Your ships sure do look good. Definately have that Homeworld-esque look to my eyes.

Thanks dude!

Here a small update on the ship:

Still haven't replaced the turrets. I've decided to the turrets to be sphere shaped, normally placed in the hull, but once activated they are moved more towards the surface. The only trouble I'm having at the moment is actually drawing them. I've got an almost clear idea of how they'll look like, it's just that I'm having a hard time playing with spheres in Sketchup...
    Last edited by malika; 13-08-2013 at 18:00.

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Looking good.

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast