Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Building spaceships

Re: Building spaceships

Thank you for the kind words!

Started working on a prow, still very WIP...

Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Space ship design project

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Tweaked it slightly. In the meanwhile I found out that the head was a tiny bit too big to fit correctly to the rest of the ship (connection of the ship was 1.5 meters whilst the head was 1.5000004723 meters) Fixed it, and made it a bit longer:

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

I dont think it needs the eagle head - It just looks tacked on. Without it, it looks like something from fifth element.

Maybe do an optional bridge as well - gives it a more traditional ship look then.
    Last edited by GomezAddams; 19-08-2013 at 01:04.
    [Gomez and Jihad shoot some Zeds] [The Addams go to Malifaux]
    Quote Originally Posted by mdiscala referring to my Lady J
    Well I'm off to cruise bars for goth chicks.

Can't say I like the eagle prow either.... simply doesn't look right...
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum."
    --------------------------
    Comparisons of sizes: W40k vs other models
    http://www.pbase.com/hammerbolt/compare

Updated the ship a bit, moved a few of the components, changed the prow a bit, but it's still very much WIP.

I dont think it needs the eagle head - It just looks tacked on. Without it, it looks like something from fifth element.
    Hmm, I should perhaps keep a version of the ship free without the eagle head, continue with this experiment and see where it takes me. If it totally fails, I can return to the pre-Eagle version. I dunno, the eaglehead gives it a certain megalomaniacal feel to it, which is kinda what I'm going after.

Maybe do an optional bridge as well - gives it a more traditional ship look then.
    Personally I'm not that big a fan of bridges, especially on this scale. The thing would either be so tiny that you could hardly see it, or be so huge that, design-wise, it would just be ridiculous and make the ship look smaller than it actually it. Besides, speaking on spacial battle scale, what use is it to have some windows from where you could look outside, if your target is thousands and thousands of kilometers away?

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Some other people also mentioned they didn't like the eagle head as a prow, here are two alternate designs. Just as a backup in case the eagle head won't work out at all...

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Quote Originally Posted by malika View Post
    Some other people also mentioned they didn't like the eagle head as a prow, here are two alternate designs. Just as a backup in case the eagle head won't work out at all...

Second one looks cool. That's just a wedge, right?
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum."

The second one is basically the eagle head prow, but with the eagle head removed. I'm not too happy about it (same goes for the one with the eagle head) because it has some issues with the angles which causes some inaccuracies (dealing with stuff of 0.0000001mm) that mess up the model. I am tempted to go for the second one, but then I've got to seriously remodel the prow.

However, the eagle head is something that sticks to me as well, it really has this sense of Romanesque which I'm kind of missing from the other versions, which for that reason feel a little bit generic to me.

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

In the meanwhile, I've taken updated the front, added some torpedo tubes there. The ones on the top of the ship have been removed and have been replaced for the turrets.

The design of the turret is growing on me, however...I'd still like to one day replace them for the more spherical ones...

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

In the meanwhile:

I've been playing a bit with the torpedo tubes, and parts of the prow armor.

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Thing is, it seems tacked on because of the simple over all shape. Less is more and all that. I'd say if your adding the eagle its to give it a prow in a more traditional sense, that being the case add a bridge deck as well to get the idea over properly. hey could always be optional plug ins anyway

Quote Originally Posted by malika View Post

I like the second one as well. The eagle head has its merits and I do like the look of it with the torpedo tubes in a straight line beside it. What about a launch bay for small fighter ships flanked by torpedo tubes in the prow? You could make the eagle head an optional bit that covers the bay for customization purposes.

I thinking though, if there off to troll forged, then an extra sprue with alternate prows, a tiny bridge etc, wont hurt. Means your buying more of a single model, so overall cheaper to produce.

Hmm, the idea of making the eagle head prow as a possible separate bit does have its merits.

I've updated the design slightly, but I've just gotten back from holidays. So I'll try to post some new updates in the coming days.

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Two things I'm toying with for these ships. I've been getting a lot of feedback regarding the eagle head prow, meaning I'm starting to doubt whether to keep the eagle head or not. I kinda like the eagle head, gives it this megalomaniacal feel, but it does limit its use for other factions/games/settings. That in itself shouldn't really matter since this is primarily aimed at SITA/Sciror/etc.

But then I'm thinking, would other factions use the same type of ship? If so, would they perhaps have a different prow instead of the eagle head? What if I'd make it multi-part, enabling players to pick their prow?

Second piece of doubt is scale. At first I was thinking of having a prototype printed which would fit the BFG scale, since the ship would be classified as a cruiser in 40k, it would be around 80mm long. This means that a lot of the details would go lost, meaning I'd either have to remove a lot of the detailing, making it look more like a caricature almost, or go for a larger scale. I am very tempted to have this ship be made in a larger scale, around 200mm to 250mm long. The amount of detailing could then be really crazy.

However, this might bring a few problems:

*Multipart: When doing the ships on this scale, I would assume they'd have to be multipart kits. I guess this could be done by making the turrets, prows and components (blocks of which the ship is built of) separate. I wonder if multiple prow options would then still be fitting when doing it on such a scale... But on such a scale I might even have to make all the tiny components separate, meaning it could end up being a kit consisting of hundreds of tiny bits...

*Scale: When making the ship this big, it will become a very cool display piece, but it might not be that useful in a game of BFG or whatever other space ship game on that scale. That in itself isn't so bad, but I would imagine that a lot of the sales would go to clients who'd wish to use this ship as a proxy for other miniature lines. Should I keep this in mind when designing/producing this ship?

*Costs: I can imagine that producing such a large model will take a lot of resources. Having it 3d printed will cost a lot, meaning I'd really need to hollow out the ship as much as possible. But even then, having it cast afterward would also require a lot of resources.

But there are also some awesome advantages:
    *I can go quite crazy on the details, add an extra level to what I've got now.
    *The ship would really be an amazing display piece.
    *Fighter drones, torpedos and boarding/drop pods would be more in the same scale as the ship. The Star Wars game sort of seems to be doing the same, so it might not be that weird to go down this route...

Your thoughts?

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Ok...I have caved in, for now! The eagle prow is gone (once again: for now), and went for something more generic. Now I still need to make the front stand out a bit more. It will need some torpedo tubes and such. I'd prefer to the keep the prow pretty blocky like this, there's something crude and almost hammer-like about it.

I think that for now I'll be going for a more conventional size, meaning that the model will be around 80-90mm long. First of all because it will fit in easier with games like BFG and such, especially since I want this ship to be able to have been around in during the DAoT and Great Crusade. I might make a larger (and more detailed) version of it at a later date, sort of as a collectors' item.

As for this model, I've got a feeling that it's almost done and ready for a few test prints to see what it will look like at this scale.

Next up is a battleship. Since this stuff is originally meant for Sciror, I'll use Philip Sibbering's concept as a basis and sort of create my own interpretation of it:

I guess it will get some exhausts at the back and the front will be used as tordedo/pods launcher. The rectangles around the Distortion Engine (round thing in the middle of the ship) will function as launch bays. Hopefully more on that in the coming weeks...

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Looks great, really mean and imposing.

Commander

Liking this latest design a lot. I'm also glad that you're still thinking about the larger scale ship. I'd probably buy two or three of the smaller ones and, depending on price, one of the larger ones, when you are ready. I'm a big fan of industrial looking hammer-like ships.
    Letters from the Front. An IG log. http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...uardsman-s-Log
    Riding to Glory Through Fire and Steel! An Empire log
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...52#post6901452
    My Sale and Trade Thread http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...pire-IG-BFG-or

I think the bigger one will either be a very limited thing or something that will come at a later date. It kind of depends on how the other stuff will catch on.

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

It main ship looks very modular and I like it - like you could make the centre centre a plug system so you could add large hanger bays or big gun decks.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast