Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Building spaceships

Re: Building spaceships

Quote Originally Posted by GomezAddams View Post
    It main ship looks very modular and I like it - like you could make the centre centre a plug system so you could add large hanger bays or big gun decks.
    Dude, that's such an awesome idea!

I'm really digging it. At the moment the ship is armed with lance turrets (top and bottom), hanger bays for fighters/bombers (sides) and torpedos/pods (front). I like the idea of a variant which hanger bays have been replaced for additional turrets, and just a small hanger bay in the back. Another variant could be a ship which has most of its weapons removed, but carries some sort of spinal/prow mounted cannon (think something along the lines of the Planet Killer but less intense).

By the way, a member over at the Sciror discussions started scratch building his interpretation on my design, I'm very curious to see what he'll do with it.

On another note, I've been working on the ship again, and decided I really disliked the thrusters, so I removed them. However, this means I need new ones. Does anybody have suggestions? I'm very curious how the Chaos ships have their propulsion, but I haven't been able to find any decent pictures of the backs of those ships. But I also love the way the Dindrenzi ships from Firestorm Armada have their thrusters. Holy Emperor, those guys made some really beautiful ships! I hope to one day reach that quality as well!
    Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Space ship design project

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

I reworked the Distortion Engine a bit:

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Well my thinking was you could print it off in individual peices - prow, thrusters, control section, and then the middle. People can then pick and choose between the lot and make any designs they wish. It makes it relatively cheap for you because you could print it in stages, and any additions again, would be relatively cheap. Much as it would be built at the ship yards. The design of BFG ships seems very much like earth ship building in that its done in a dry dock in one huge peice. This seems more... practial?

Have a work with Andrew Rae at Statuesque - hes got a good printing chap.

Got to say I've enjoyed watching this coming together. Its making me want to have another stab at 3d modelling again. I've always wanted to do a drop ship of some sort.
    [Gomez and Jihad shoot some Zeds] [The Addams go to Malifaux]
    Quote Originally Posted by mdiscala referring to my Lady J
    Well I'm off to cruise bars for goth chicks.

Well my thinking was you could print it off in individual peices - prow, thrusters, control section, and then the middle. People can then pick and choose between the lot and make any designs they wish. It makes it relatively cheap for you because you could print it in stages, and any additions again, would be relatively cheap. Much as it would be built at the ship yards. The design of BFG ships seems very much like earth ship building in that its done in a dry dock in one huge peice. This seems more... practial?
    I was thinking something along similar lines. You'd have the components that make up the ships (the blocks), with the possibility of some variation blocks, enabling players to build other classes of ships. The turrets will come separate, meaning I would also make other components which could fit in the 'turret socket', such as a command deck or a cruder version of the torpedo tubes (like this for example). I think the plan now is to first make a prototype for myself to see if the model would even work, but it might be smart to already to that multipart. If it works I could simply make additional components.

Have a work with Andrew Rae at Statuesque - hes got a good printing chap.
    I tried opening their website, doesn't seem to work.

Got to say I've enjoyed watching this coming together. Its making me want to have another stab at 3d modelling again. I've always wanted to do a drop ship of some sort.
    Just do it! I'm really curious to see what you'll come up with.

In the meantime...

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Tried a few things with the propulsion, none of them worked. So I 'procrastinated' by working on the turrets.

I made them slightly chunkier, made the barrels longer and changed the shape somewhat. Primary reason is to make them more 'workable' at the scale we're dealing with (major details on that thing are 0.4mm). If stuff becomes too small you won't be able to see it.

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

A tiny update. I've hollowed out a lot of parts of the ship. I've kept the walls rather thick (at least 2.4mm) to keep the print throughout the entire model.

Also, I've cut the ship up in components. This will allow me to make variants of the prow and main weapon system:

Green = Distortion engine + back thrusters
    Blue = Lance turrets
    Red = Main weapon system (in this case launch bays)
    Yellow = Prow

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Mr Addams,

I think you're going to be quite happy with this...

Been working on a variant of this ship. Since people were suggesting different prows, I thought I could take it to the next level. The ship is already divided into components, so the possibility of different weapons wasn't that far fetched.

So I started working on a lance turret component. It's still very WIP...

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Quote Originally Posted by malika View Post
    Also, I've cut the ship up in components. This will allow me to make variants of the prow and main weapon system:
    Excelent idea, reminds me of the multple sections of the BFG ships.

Mr Addams,

Been working on a variant of this ship. Since people were suggesting different prows, I thought I could take it to the next level. The ship is already divided into components, so the possibility of different weapons wasn't that far fetched.

So I started working on a lance turret component. It's still very WIP...
    Looks like a really mean ship, good work! But, imho, these look like multiple projectile guns; when I hear "lance" I think of a long barrel, maybe with some coils around the base (hard at this scale, I know...)

An altenative weapons system would be missile silos: a mosaic of massive missile hatches.
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum."
    --------------------------
    Comparisons of sizes: W40k vs other models
    http://www.pbase.com/hammerbolt/compare

Excelent idea, reminds me of the multple sections of the BFG ships.
    It could be a cool alternative to the plastic BFG kits since GW stopped making those...

Looks like a really mean ship, good work! But, imho, these look like multiple projectile guns; when I hear "lance" I think of a long barrel, maybe with some coils around the base (hard at this scale, I know...)
    I based the lance turret on this one. I think what you mean is something along the lines of a Macro Cannon?

An altenative weapons system would be missile silos: a mosaic of massive missile hatches.
    I would love to do a weapon system along the lines of the Tempest Bombardment Platform!

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

I based the lance turret on this one. I think what you mean is something along the lines of a Macro Cannon?
    Hummm... could be...
    I would love to do a weapon system along the lines of the Tempest Bombardment Platform!
    I was thinking more on the lines of the Daeddalus, from Stargate. Check out it's "back", 21 long rows of missile hatches

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Daedalus?file=304.jpg
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum."

Today I've mostly been figuring out how to make models watertight for printing. Man oh man...it was such an annoying task, finding the right software, learning that the different programs aren't compatible and tend to contradict each other, e.g. a model that's fully tight/fixed according to Netfabb is considered to be full of holes/etc according to CADspan. Very frustrating. However, Netfabb offers a free fixing service, so I'm sticking with them at the moment. Shapeways apparently also work with these guys, so I'll trust them.

In the meanwhile I started working on the thrusters a bit. They are still very WIP:

After that it's going to be the prow that will be tweaked so it has several torpedo launchers. That would mean the first model is done, and I can start working on some other components. I've got the following in mind:

Prows:
    -Torpedo prow (one I have now);
    -Eagle head;
    -Prow mounted superweapon (comes with the middle hull part I think);
    -Prow with fighter launch bays;
    -Neutral (no weapons).

Middle:
    -Launch bays (one I have now);
    -Lance turrets (WIP);
    -Superweapon (see above, comes with prow);
    -Cargo.

'Turrets':
    -Lance turrets (one I have now);
    -Torpedo launchers;
    -Neutral (armor plating);
    -Bridge (unofficial) I know the demand is high for this one since it fits a certain aesthetic. I might end up making a bridge part you could put instead of one of the turrets. Personally I won't really use them, but I know there are many players who like to have such a thing on the ship.

The back part (Distortion Engine + back thrusters) will remain the same. Don't have any plans to make variants for that one. The idea is that the ships are constantly retrofitted with different weaponry/equipment. I can imagine the same ship constantly changing form by getting different component whenever needed for that fitting situation. So lets say the ship 'Lucius' (very original name) might at one moment have been a carrier craft, but during the other campaign it could have been armed with giant turrets and yet another time it was a transporter.

I liked the idea that these ships first have a live human who every now and then 'plugs' into the ship to control certain aspects of it. But this is quite demanding on the body, meaning that eventually, part be part he becomes 'fused' with the ship. Thus the ship truly becoming an extension of his body. Kind of reminds me of that Doctor Who episode The Girl in the Fireplace.

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Mr Addams,

Indeed I am and thats pretty much exactly what I had in my head. Casting might be a bit of a bugger though due to the slots - you probably want a much shallower fitting.

The turrets will probably need to be in metal, but thats not a big issue given the size.

- Bridge
    Yay!
    Thing is, you've got that flat surface above the coney bits (distortion engines?) which seems perfect for something vaguely bridge shaped.

Flight decks - Personally, I always wanted a spaceship game that used lots of fighter wings and a few big carriers. Kinda of like Battlestar Galactica. So personally, I'd want big chunky flight decks able to hold all kinds of ships, or several to hold masses of fighters.

I wouldnt bother with an unarmoured/neutral one. I figure with some slightly changes it could also make a good cargo ship. I'll fiddle around with paint later/tomorrow and PM you with what I mean.

But yeah, its all looking good so far, definitely something I would buy.

Indeed I am and thats pretty much exactly what I had in my head. Casting might be a bit of a bugger though due to the slots - you probably want a much shallower fitting.
    Shallower slots can be done easily!

The turrets will probably need to be in metal, but thats not a big issue given the size.
    The body of the turret is around 3mm x 4mm x 2mm, pretty small. Would metal be better than plastic? There are plastics that could handle that kinda detailing.

Thing is, you've got that flat surface above the coney bits (distortion engines?) which seems perfect for something vaguely bridge shaped.
    I might give it a shot yeah. It's not that high of a priority at the moment. First I'd need to get the other bits finished.

Flight decks - Personally, I always wanted a spaceship game that used lots of fighter wings and a few big carriers. Kinda of like Battlestar Galactica. So personally, I'd want big chunky flight decks able to hold all kinds of ships, or several to hold masses of fighters.
    The red component of this picture is the flight deck. It can basically unleash tons and tons of fighters and bombers. I too am a big fan of big carriers, so it's something that we'll be seeing a lot here. I think the basic configuration for this type of cruiser is the carrier. It carries lance weapons for some support already. Other variations will have other specific roles, such as providing covering fire and such, but the carrier is the main ship of the Legion fleets.

I wouldnt bother with an unarmoured/neutral one. I figure with some slightly changes it could also make a good cargo ship. I'll fiddle around with paint later/tomorrow and PM you with what I mean.
    Very curious to see what you mean! I'm a big fan of cargo ships as well, like the ones CELS had once made. But perhaps a slight modification of an existing bit could do just as fine.

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Here are three variants of the Legion Cruiser next to each other. The one on the left is armed with additional lance turrets, enabling it to take out enemy shields from a distance. The middle ship is a military transport ship. The size already enables it to transport entire regiments, including all sorts of support gear. I was first thinking of beefing the ship up some more, but didn't find it too fitting. I might at a later date make a battleship variant which is an even larger transport. But I would imagine normal transport ships (which are already larger) would be civilian ships, not military ones.

The ship on the right is the carrier I've been working on all this time. Not that much changed in it yet.

Note that all the components are still very WIP, the turret component still needs a lot of detailing. The transporter one needs something extra to make it stand out. The prow (single variant at the moment) will need further detailing and torpedo tubes. The engine and the rest of the components need a few thrusters and details before they're ready.

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Tweaked the 'transport component' a bit, meaning it has become the assault barge component:

The launch bays are still quite big considering the scale, but instead of launching clouds and clouds of fighter craft and boarding pods, it unleashes dropships, drop pods, landing craft and so on.

The turrets it has can scare off raiders or some enemy ships, but it is rather vulnerable, meaning it would need other ships to support it, such as the carrier seen next to it.

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Little teaser...

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

No comments? Boo warseer, boo indeed.

Looking lovely as ever - I'm looking forward to seeing these in the flesh, but the big open spaces look like a field day for some interesting patterns and the like. I#m liking the front as well. It looks like it'd make a good socket for different prows as well.

I've been thinking as well - flight stand. How are you planning to do it? And can Eds super resin do clear?
    Last edited by GomezAddams; 11-09-2013 at 22:14.

Been busy

They do look great, very "spacey-looking". Good job.

Looking lovely as ever - I'm looking forward to seeing these in the flesh, but the big open spaces look like a field day for some interesting patterns and the like.
    You mean the big open space on the turret component? Yeah, details still need to be added there. As for additional patterns, something like this?

I've been thinking as well - flight stand. How are you planning to do it?
    I've been thinking about it, and I guess I can go in two directions, I can go for something like this or that. I like the idea of a simple base and then position the ships/torpedos with iron wire, enabling you to model whatever formation you want. However, a set thing like the first example is also handy. Got any suggestions?

And can Eds super resin do clear?
    He used to be able to do it with his old resin, not sure if Trollcast can also be done clear. Why?

In the meantime, a different view of the updates:

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

In the meantime I've started working on some ordnance:

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast