Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: In which Hadriel Commission Paints WHFB and fails to sleep

In which Hadriel Commission Paints WHFB and fails to sleep

Several years ago I founded a painting service titled JERICO STUDIOS I did a fair bit of work in Devon and Yorkshire under this title. Recently I've been very busy and haven't kept up to date with hosting fees or web design. Instead I now do a bit of commission painting on the side when acting work is thin on the ground. Luckily London is full of people with lots of money for armies that want to game on the weekend, but don't necessarily have time to paint their entire army in time for specific tournaments etc.

That's where I come in, plugging gaps and painting special pieces when and where necessary.

This log is initially to document an exciting new commission from a friend of mine but may continue after its completion and become a home for all my commission work.

ORCS AND GOBLINS

Orcs and Goblins have long been one of my favorite factions in fantasy. I've never had the patience to complete an army of them myself so this should be a lot of fun. I have been using Black Orcs as a basis for my chaos warriors and the client was impressed by this conversion:

He asked me to build a black orc hero on boar. Which I duly did:

I then went on holiday and thought nothing more of it. Upon my return I have been asked to paint the hero (I may revisit a couple of sections of sculpting and magnetise some other weapon options) and complete the cavalry section of his army for a campaign on 24th of this month!! This should be as follows:

Black Orc Hero (magnetised to be BSB or not)
    lvl 2 Goblin Shaman on wolf (to be converted from the new plastic shaman and a fenrisian wolf)
    Goblin Boss on wolf (wolf boy with some sculpting on a fenrisian wolf)
    5 wolf riders
    11 Boar boys (6 still to be assembled)
    minimum 5 spider riders (20 if I have time but no pressure immediately for the tournie)
    2 doom divers
    2 trolls (converted from the Hobbit Goblin King)

Picture of everything: http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...pseee2a1d5.jpg

Examples of existing colour scheme;

I've got a host of new paints, basing materials, GS, magnets and a huge orc and goblin bitz box to wade through...

Game on!

A.

Re: Commission Orcs and Goblins (and more!)

So today has been spent preparing the wolves and boars. The client is borrowing wolf riders and spider riders for this weekend so my priority is now characters and boar boys. I got the fur brown army painter spray and will be doing all the boars and wolves this evening once the GS has cured and glue has dried.

Goblin boss on wolf:

Quite an easy conversion but I think he's effective.
    I added the armoured wolf head from the wolf riders set to a fenrisian wolf and used a hair drier to heat up the hind legs in order to make the wolf's pose lower and more propulsive.

The Gobbo's arms are from the plastic stormvermin- I wanted him to be a bit more armoured and this is a cool pose.
    He's got a scabbarded sword, bow and arrows and a shield slung across his back. I added GS straps and sculpted him a Mohawk so that he echoes the Black Orc hero.

Goblin Shaman (magnetised on foot or mounted)

This guy was tricky to assemble but I like the finished pose. I swapped the left hand out for a knife so he wasn't tied completely to the infantry base like the stock model. The cape has been repositioned slightly as well to fit onto the wolf. On the infantry base it looks all billowy and cool...

Finally some extra boars:

The client wants 11 boar boys in the unit and I've only been supplied with 10. Quick conversion using the body and ears from an old boar!

He also has the Orc shaman on boar mounted on an infantry base. I'm painting up the mount as well so he can swap between infantry and mounted as per the goblin shaman:

Next step is priming the animals! I've been looking at images of wolves and wild boar today and have a nice idea for painting them effectively and realistically from sources and with a brown base coat!

More soon!

A.

Basecoat done!

A mound of boars

Character a first. Washes and drybrushing next. Then character b. then c. Then everything else!

A.

Goblin heroes completed:

Shaman

Boars

2 days in:

Lots of you looking. No comments. Don't be shy now!

A.

P.s. the Orc boss is next!

Well done mate. Beautiful conversions and a nice paintjob. Big fan of the goblin boss on the Wolf.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thanks very much @Treg Almighty. The Goblin boss is one of my faves too. But not the favourite...

Much work completed today;

Firstly I converted up one of the Hobbit Goblin Kings into a troll

Then assembled and primed the remaining boar boys

Their current mounts spend the movement phase correcting grammar and advising on what type of file they might like to create...

Black Orc hero WIP

... And 'finished'

Bt not quite finished as the client wants me to darken the skin to match his war boss. Miscommunication on the base colour! Oh well. I like him as he is. I may have to lighten some of the cloth areas to provide contrat to the armour if the skin is to be lighter. Don't want him to look like a back hole.

Thoughts appreciated.

A.

Brother Sergeant

No, stop it, i dont want to have to get more stuf out to work on. Man it all looks so good... love the metals, care to shair?
    That glorious paile green

Thanks mate- glad to have you here! Paint some Orcs/Orks, it's fun!

Well. At this point today I nearly wept:

So much skin to paint green.

Luckily a hair drier and lots of glazes came to the rescue:

And just for you Kap'n since I know you love checks:

Please note all pics are crappy and I've done some touch ups since notable on faces and trousers. Very tired. Better pics with better light. Spiders next!

A.

Great looking unit! Lovely work. Really like the new Boar head on the old boar body looks fun!

Thanks @RTGamer. The client has now collected the boar boys and heroes- they've been in use at a campaign day already! I'll let you all know how they got on.

I'm still waiting on the final boar boy from eBay and the left arms for the wolf riders. But I need to make a start as I have workshops all Thursday and Friday next week and the client is going on a campaign weekend on Friday evening. So painting has to all be done Monday-Wednesday.

That's 20 spider riders, 5 wolf riders (wolves already done), 1 troll, 1 boar boy, doom diver and possibly some extras.

After the orcs I've been asked to do 20 marauder horsemen for the same guy. Splendid!

A.

Quick update!

Spider riders

Apparently he needs ten more savage orcs... So off I went into London...

Also the tournament requires players to bring a terrain piece so I'm working on a totem from the old battle for skull pass kit

And I've cannibalised the wolfs a bit so the riders can be magnetised.

I'm off to pick up some goblin arms and the final boar boy this evening. Then I'll base coat the savage orcs, boar boy and 5 goblins to go on the wolves. Not too much left to do...

A.

Wow!!! Great conversions and painting! They look fantastic. Its very inspiring to see these orcs

Brother Sergeant

Ima stay glued to this, i have to see your take on sav orcs.
    Sickeningly sexy stuff man

Thanks both! Really helps to have the comments to keep me going when I'm working to a schedule.

Not too much left to go for this part of the commission.

Wolf Riders complete!

Savage Orcs complete!

I'm particularly pleased with the savage orcs. Very nice models to paint. If I had more time I'd add some tattoos to them.

BUT there's the finishing touches on a Doom Diver and the final boar boy still in the works.

more soon

A.

that subtle tone looks great!

while i go back and read from the start...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadriel Caine View Post
    And I've cannibalised the wolfs a bit so the riders can be magnetised.
    ...was there a reasoning behind this?
    rolling 1's is an art...
    Stuff for sale / trade

Brother Sergeant

Mmmmm love your takes on pale orcs. dirty and down to earth.sexy

Gav, the client wanted the riders magnetised where possible. I guess for easy of transport. Honestly the wolves take up about as much space with or without the riders... but hey. All cavalry will be magnetised to sheet metal movement trays at some point too for ease.

Glad you like the skin tone chaps- its very easy. Base is army painter fur brown, heavy drybrush with Rakarth flesh, wash with Athonian camoshade, twice. That's it.

Almost finished the Doom Diver now... but can't find a flying stand. Final Boar boy is having his base dry before priming.

A.

Update.

Final Boar boy is done!!

and I've finished the essential parts of the Doom Diver (ie the pilot and the sling, lovely oldschool mini)

I also figured out the basing issue:

Mr. Doom diver is magnetised to a 2 pence piece. Ideal.

Just gotta prime the crew and the base then I'm three goblins away from being done! (which is not a very long way at all)

A.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast