Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Battle Brush Studios gets a lick of the Flames of War - Two weeks to paint an army.

Battle Brush Studios gets a lick of the Flames of War - Two weeks to paint an army.

...well, two weeks and a bit.

If you've read any of my other historical Plogs I always like to give some historical context along with every project I tackle. This time I have to keep it short so this will have to do:

This is all you have to know for now, comrades.

It's been a while since this was the case the last time but I spent most of the day cleaning, building and basing these models. As the horde grew, it got more and more daunting, despite my attempts at organizing it somehow:

...and that's not even all of the infantry and artillery. The flame thrower platoon hides in the lower left corner, then there's another artillery battery, batalion HQ and then there's of course... the tanks.

Experts have worked out that during the 1940s and 50s the average soviet citizen never left home without at least 10 T-34 with him.

Then there's a bunch of SU-100s. The only reason why all of that isn't built yet is that I ran out of super glue.

Before tackling this I got the accompanying Osprey book of course.

So that's all for now. Tomorrow I'll build the rest of the units, get these rascals primed and will see that I get as many of those as possible basecoated. Update intervals on this project probably will be rather short so keep on checking in! Comments, critique, hints and questions are highly welcome as always!

Re: Battle Brush Studios gets a lick of the Flames of War - Two weeks to paint an arm

Quote Originally Posted by sigur View Post
    Tomorrow I'll build the rest of the units...
    SLACKER!

OT: That is a lot of minis. Is that your average size FoW army, points-wise?
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Re: Battle Brush Studios gets a lick of the Flames of War - Two weeks to paint an arm

Well, what can I say, good luck! Should be interesting to see what you make of this middle-sized scale.

@Codsticker: To be honest, I'm not quite sure. I think it's about 3000pts. Average tournament size seems to be 1500pts albeit that may vary from region to region. Apart from that I assume that Red army lists will have a bit more models than other lists.

@mrtn: Thanks. I used to be very sceptic about 15mm but then ...I'm not sure what happened and now I got two of them myself! (DBx/Impetus Hoplites and those WW2 British I still haven't started the plog for even though they're all painted by now :P )

Alright, everything's built, tanks are primed. I'll also prime the artillery pieces along with the tanks and then I'll see how I can paint those buggers.

edit: Tanks and artillery pieces are basecoated, bases too. Tomorrow I guess I'll do a whole lot of drybrushing (bases mostly ).

Hey peeps. Still not too much to show individually, and I'm not too sure if thats going to be the case with this army at al, but here's another overally look:

As you can see, the bases are mostly done, just rocks left to be single painted and base borders to be neatened up. Of course there'll also be grass and such added to the bases.

I worked out a recipe for the infantry (don't fret, their clothes won't stay as greenish as they are now) so that's what I'll tackle first. So far on most of the infantry tunics and helmets are basecoated, skin's basecoated on about a third of them but I've got a plan now which always is the first challenge to handle with an army you've never painted before.

Not sure how, but almost a full bottle of spray primer went into these minis.

Now that's progress!

Carry on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Litcheur View Post
    Note to 40k players : switching to historicals will get you laid.
    \m/ Metalheads of WarSeer \m/ <- click

Please visit my random project log!

Thanks for the comment, Caiphas Cain! I indeed went on (because I didn't want to go to bed and some online person had just uploaded their review video of Elysium). So I sat, listened to a video and bumped the amount of infantry with basecoated skin up to about 50%. You know, if you look at the bunch from across the room, they almost look like a done army already. Oh well, dilusions of a man who knows that 80% of the work are still ahead of him.

Hi comrades! Finally another update, eh?

As I said, I figured out a recipe for the infantry a few days ago, did some work, noticed that I had to modify my recipe. Oh well, it happens. Not very often but it does. So I changed my recipe and here are a few sample bases of finished soviet infantry:

...and here's a look at what's done so far on a larger scale:

Basewise, this is a bit over 50% of the infantry/artillery bases but the latter are larger and have less figures so things don't look too dim. Hope that you like the guys, C&C welcome!

Kudos ! Impressive work sigur. A lot of guys / comrades

@mrtn: Thanks!

@kublai: hey, thanks for dropping by!

thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate it. This probably is the leasy "sexy" plog I've ever done but there'll be some tanks and planes on soon and next on the schedule are some arousingly erect large caliber artillery pieces and fondlers handlers crew. :P

As for now, today's update:

Here's a zoomed in bit from less crappily lit parts of the bunch:

I'm proud to report that the infantry is done. Next, as mentioned above, the king of the battlefield: Artillery.

I'm glad these are 15mm, glad for you that is. This really is an army, you're making impressive progress! Getting hard to squeeze all that in one photo, eh?

I'm looking forward to see the artillery.

Indeed, keep up the good work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Litcheur View Post
    Note to 40k players : switching to historicals will get you laid.
    \m/ Metalheads of WarSeer \m/ <- click

Please visit my random project log!

@Gargobot: Thanks and indeed. Being the weirdo that I am though, I immediately enjoyed how the cork thing I only got out for a little solo game is just big enough to fit all the infantry and artillery bases on it so the army remains on there until it's finished. Gives a nice overview of how I proceed. And if I get fed up with it, it's so much more convenient to just grab the whole bunch at once and throw it out the window. :P (just kidding of course. I'd rather jump myself than throwing minis out the window).

@kublai: Got half the artillery done, tomorrow I'll do the rest of the artillery and some heavy mortars and then I'll take pictures!

@Caiphas Cain: Thanks!

I know I'm testing your patience here, guys. No picture yet again, only the report that half the artillery is done (they had a bunch of really detailled resin bases. Good stuff, including single spoons and knives, cups, a loaf of cheese, dead cows and so on), other half will be done tomorrow. I got some nice decals for the tanks too which I hope to god arrive in time.

So yeah, tomorrow's the artillery and maybe I'll start doing the planes and then it's T-34s without end.

Quote Originally Posted by sigur View Post
    I know I'm testing your patience here, guys. No picture yet again, only the report that half the artillery is done (they had a bunch of really detailled resin bases. Good stuff, including single spoons and knives, cups, a loaf of cheese, dead cows and so on), other half will be done tomorrow. I got some nice decals for the tanks too which I hope to god arrive in time.

So yeah, tomorrow's the artillery and maybe I'll start doing the planes and then it's T-34s without end.
    Don't worry about our patience man We get to see awesome stuff done by you for free. We can wait I'm really excited to see those T-34s. I'm curios to see how you paint tanks in 15mm. Will those be Plastic Soldier Company plastic once or FOW metal / resin once ?

Regular Resin/Metal ones. I have to say though, those Battlefront people make them nicely individual with little details.

Finally, some picture updates!

Some light artillery:

...and the heavier stuff:

Batalion staff HQ and some snipers:

I added a little map to their table just so it doesn't look as empty. The temptation to add some pencils and D20 was there, believe me. At least I can make up some dialogue for them. Officer on the field telephone ordering pizza, guy in the far right having changed his mind about what pizza he wants at the last second (as he ALWAYS does), guy in the back re-read the rules about Rangers because guy-in-the-front's character seemed way too strong with his "favoured enemy: things in sight" and accuses him of cheating... er, let's proceed to the next picture.

TANKS!

T-34/85:

T-34/76:

SU-100 (because somebody told the generals that this is Flames of War and they MIGHT encounter every single heavy tank the Germans ever built plus two more divisions ):

WIP IL-2 Sturmovik:

Of course that's just examples from the host of stuff I painted for the army so far. All in all, it's pretty much finished. The Sturmoviks (there are three in the army) need a bit more work, tanks need some decals and inspired slogans and yeah, that's that. Then they're off to the west asap because they're needed at a FoW event.

Hope that you like them.

Ay, those look cool. I like the plane especially.
    Another customer served.

And may I be the first to congratulate you: Happy birthday sigur! You made it, you are now the oldest living squirrel in the world!
    Last edited by Gargobot; 25-08-2013 at 23:09.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast