Thread: Alex_H's Man Room

Alex_H's Man Room

Hello all.

Two and a half years ago, I moved out from a gaming bachelor pad, to a small two bedroom flat to be with the woman I loved and eventually married. However, that tiny flat, did not have room for the hobby. My armies were all restricted to a cupboard, and the only gaming area was a tiny dinning table, on which only the smallest Space Hulk board could be set up, let alone hold a battle.

However I brokered a deal her when I moved in, that in the next property we moved into, I would have a man room. And now, we have moved on into a four bedroom, three level town-house. The top bedroom is been defined as my "man room" and not only has it room to set-up the gaming pc, sound system and eventual gaming table, but the wife has declared that she will never enter and tidy since it is too messy (a win win!).

Anyhow, with my army 90% painted, it is time I built them a gaming table to fight over.

This is and will by my log of building my gaming table.

So here we begin - with bits of wood.

This is four lots of (2700mm x 44mm x 44mms) planned smooth timber and 3 sheets of 1220mm x 606mm x 9mm MDF Board. I would have preferred plywood to MDF but economics forced my hand.

Check out later for the built board once the camera's battery is charged. I will then go into detail about the legs.

Re: Alex_H's Man Room

Congratulations on getting your man room. A hard fight, but one worth winning...

Veteran Sergeant

thats all well and good til the kids come along and like me your shunted out for toys

Quote Originally Posted by colrud View Post
    thats all well and good til the kids come along and like me your shunted out for toys
    Nursery is on the second floor, getting it ready for January .

Anyhow, today has been a day of wood work.

The filler is covering the screws and providing a bit of texture to the table. The legs are collapsible A-frames meaning it can be folded up to make more room when needed.

Now, just have to wait till next weekend (and good weather) before I can paint it.

Veteran Sergeant

a man room and a nursery.....#jealous. all the best with it man i look forward to seeing it finished

Very good to see it coming along and it looks like a really nice construct - its probably very simple but for someone like me who cannot do DIY, I am impressed with anything by anyone homemade and useful.
    40k urge has returned ! I won't let the negativity spoil my fun.
    The Inquisition - from nothing to something log!
    - Project on ICE and looking to sell!

A Tomb World Awakens! Update : I have starting painting and playing again !

Chaplain

Alas my man room was turned into a nursry.....
    Scott
    Space wolves (win/draw/loss) - 2013 (20/1/4), 2014 (29/1/4)
    My scratch build warhound titan - Daisy - http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...y-the-warhound
    Local games club in Sunderland - www.facebook.com/worhamma

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_H View Post
    Nursery is on the second floor, getting it ready for January .
    Congrats! As a relatively new dad myself, let me assure you that fatherhood is the best, surpassing even miniature gaming.

Also, I'm looking forward to seeing this project continue.

Quote Originally Posted by iamjack42 View Post
    Congrats! As a relatively new dad myself, let me assure you that fatherhood is the best, surpassing even miniature gaming.

Also, I'm looking forward to seeing this project continue.
    Better than gaming.... hmmmm only because of the prospect of bringing up your own little gamer and then have the "excuse" to go out and buy the latest stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by scotticus2 View Post
    I feel the pain.....

a man room and a nursery.....#jealous. all the best with it man i look forward to seeing it finished
    Thanks

So today was a national holiday in the England, and also nice and sunny. It gave me the opportunity to go out and paint the table. Four coats of paint later........

Very nice mate

I want to do similar with my garage, so I am watching this, well done!
    Yeah, we flew our space church across 500 light years to get to this planet taken over by the orks. Now we're going to drop from orbit in buckets and run out and shoot pistols and hit people in the head with chainsaws. Ultramarines!

coolest geek in town..... toonboy78's Avatar

Nice job with the board. Glad you have learnt from my mistake basing and painting your games board. It will be great to see some terrain on that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    my log (updated 04/05/17 Scorpion and Predator)

the code

Quote Originally Posted by toonboy78 View Post
    Nice job with the board. Glad you have learnt from my mistake basing and painting your games board. It will be great to see some terrain on that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    I learnt my my 2x2 boards back at the house in Cambridge that textured gaming tables don't play well. It was horrible to pick and roll die.

Anyhow. Now the table is built I am turning my hand to sceary. First things first a crashed Aquilla.

Its WIP but I like it so far.

Decided on Ultramarines as revenge to a certain friend who has black Tyranids on his a few of his Dreadnaughts.

I like the blue, but I hate painting white!

Quote Originally Posted by scotticus2 View Post
    Am so glad to hear you guys say this; just bought a three bed house with room for two additional attic rooms and it's already clear that any extra space will be taken up with extra children! Wouldn't have it any other way but Alex I envy you the man room!
    Quote Originally Posted by Splagbot
    I personally don't like Tau because of the way they look, every thing looks like it's been designed by a child in some sort of Blue Peter competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Promethius View Post
    Am so glad to hear you guys say this; just bought a three bed house with room for two additional attic rooms and it's already clear that any extra space will be taken up with extra children! Wouldn't have it any other way but Alex I envy you the man room!
    It was always a condition in my relationship. Its like a debt or kids. Its me and the hobby and room to do it in or no me.

A friend of mine has built a shed to game in, is your garden big enough to do that?

In the meantime, I have been making progress with my scenery.

I have applied a little bit of weathering and I'm using some of the left over paint from decorating to paint "snow" on the bases. Its not covered very well, but I will see how it dries.

coolest geek in town..... toonboy78's Avatar

I can confirm it is a great board to play on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    my log (updated 04/05/17 Scorpion and Predator)

the code