Thread: Tau and Eldar allies

Tau and Eldar allies

So the ATC tournament came to an end last weekend and unsurprisingly, the top players played some combination of Tau and Eldar.

Now, I won't complain so much about the combination (even though in my mind it takes no strategy, no thought, and is cheap) but I want to know how to counter it. Every single player who played this combo pretty much leaf blowed their opponent off the table.

Thoughts on how to beat this alliance?

Re: Tau and Eldar allies

of course it takes strategy and thought.

what are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Merces View Post
    So the ATC tournament came to an end last weekend and unsurprisingly, the top players played some combination of Tau and Eldar.

Now, I won't complain so much about the combination (even though in my mind it takes no strategy, no thought, and is cheap) but I want to know how to counter it. Every single player who played this combo pretty much leaf blowed their opponent off the table.

Thoughts on how to beat this alliance?
    Depends on the lists. If it's heavily based on Wraith/Riptide spam, the New Space Marine codex supposedly has AP2 weapons that wound on Armorsave, which could counter that(though those weapons would be near useless against things like Guardians and Kroot).

And as far as complaining about the combination. 40k(and probably Fantasy too) have always had lists that completely destroy the current meta at any point. Necron and Guard flyer spam, WD Deamons with Super scary Screamers and AP3 Flamers, when the Baleflamer first got Faq'd to be a torrent weapon, 3rd Ed Fish of Fury, etc. Eldar and Tau being the two newest codices, when combined, is very easy to see a really over powered list. Once 6th ed Space Marines, Orks and Nids come out, it'll probably be a different list taking tourneys by storm.
    "...And the pain was enough to make a shy, bald, Buddhist reflect and plan a mass murder."

Quote Originally Posted by buddy_revell View Post
    of course it takes strategy and thought.

what are you using?
    I run many different armies but that isn't exactly my point. A national tournament saw 4-5 top players use eldar and tau allied combinations. Necrons, while still high, didnt even top.

I am not here to complain or gripe I am asking how do you beat this combination.

Maybe I'm just blind but I can't seem to find where they posted the army lists. Obviously that would help quite a bit to come up with a counter strategy . Guessing some combination of fire warriors, an ethereal (maybe with a fireblade) and a farseer? Wouldn't that be like 40 guided str 5 shots at rapid fire range? Maybe a suit heavy list with a farseer on a bike? Guess it could be the other way and just having a bunch of MCs (knights and riptides). I will be very interested to see what the lists are if they ever post them.

Edit: Well that's annoying, I can navigate to where the teams are listed with links to their lists but it just gives me a blank page. Anyone else have luck?

Essentially the lists were gunline behind an Aegis with pathfinder markerlights. Long strike? and broadsides with farseer.

Tau hide behind aegis line, go to ground whenever fired at, proceed to fire as normal thanks to marker light following phase.

Essentially the lists were gunline behind an Aegis with pathfinder markerlights. Long strike? and broadsides with farseer.

Tau hide behind aegis line, go to ground whenever fired at, proceed to fire as normal thanks to marker light following phase.
    Well I would think anything with barrage or ignores cover would be a fairly good counter to the list then, plus a few str 8 weapons to take out the broadsides. After that ignore long strike and go for objectives.

I run many different armies but that isn't exactly my point. A national tournament saw 4-5 top players use eldar and tau allied combinations. Necrons, while still high, didnt even top.

I am not here to complain or gripe I am asking how do you beat this combination.
    without knowing what those armies were, or what army you plan to use, its difficult to come up with a decent strategy. if they are castling up behind cover like an ADL, drop podding marines with flamers tends to work well. its difficult, because tau have the ability to ignore most cover, and having re-rolls to hit are pretty great, meaning that they can generally beat you up with shooting before you get to batter them in combat.

softening up tau and eldar with barrage weapons is a solid idea. theyre generally quite weak and usually have low armour saves so thing like whirlwinds are a good choice, obviously heldrakes can usually deal with anything. meanwhile, eldar are perfectly suited to deal with other eldar; swooping hawks are great and getting rid of pathfinders, or indeed anything hiding behind an ADL

i would honestly suggest that if youre having difficulty dealing with allies, maybe try and come up with your own "broken" alliance.