Thread: Our 40k 1000pt Painting Challenge

Our 40k 1000pt Painting Challenge

Hello fellow Generals, Warlords, Seers and Gribbly Monsters,

My close gaming group have recently aquired a very nice looking and well painted gaming table (I'll post some pictures later) and following the success of a recent 4-way carnage battle the other day, we thought now would be as good a time as any to kick off a new painting challenge! After all, the only thing that looks better than 4 armies fighting over awesome scenery is 4 fully painted and based armies fighting over awesome scenery.

To this end, I proposed the following challenge to my friends - to fully paint and base a 1000 point army by the end of 2013.

In order to be successful at this challenge, each person must paint no less than 250 points a month. That's 250 points in September, October, November and December. To put this in perspective, 250 points is a 10 man Space Marine squad and a Rhino transport, or 12 Firewarriors and a 3 man Stealth Suit team - as you can see this should be easily achievable.

In order to keep each other motivated and give us an opportunity to share our work with others, I've setup a new Warseer project where it is expected each person taking part in the challenge will update their progress (with pics) at least once a fortnight. This is important, as last time we started a project (The tale of 4 or 5 painters), only myself and DrTarsus ever updated the thing.

So to summarise, each participant will be painting 250 points a month, and updating this log at least once a fortnight with their progress.

As a little incentive to help ensure everybody completes the challenge, I have proposed that the cost of pizza on gaming nights is shared between those poeple who have not completed their 250 points that month

I expect everybody taking part (about 5 or 6 of us in total) will be along at some point to introduce themselves and their project, but I'll kick off myself in the next post.
    Last edited by Fle; 27-08-2013 at 13:50.

Re: Our 40k 1000pt Painting Challenge

I have decided to build and paint a 1000 point Ulthwe Eldar army. My army list is as follows :-

Farseer on Jetbike
    Guardian defender squad with weapon platform
    2 units of Windriders
    A unit of Wraithguard in a Wave Serpent
    A unit of Shining Spears
    A Fire Prism.

I'll be working on the Fire Prism and Guardians for the first month (September). I'll post a few WIP pictures this evening when I get home but for now I'll leave you with a small piece of fluff I have written for my new army.

"In an age now all but forgotten, long before even your ancient ancestors first crawled from the oceans, there arose a power in this galaxy, a dark power whose Will almost extinguished Isha's light forever. In these desperate times, the Gods themselves were roused to war and fought terrible battles against the mightiest of this terrible foe. Even in our brightest age, we were as blades of grass beneath the feet of such beings and it was believed by many that we could do little but await the arrival of our demise.

Still, hope remained, for in every age, there are a few amongst our race in which the Flame of the Asur burns fiercer, and such Eldar are often marked for the greatest of deeds. In Eldanesh, this was truer than in any other, for even the God's themselves were humbled in his presence. Amongst a backdrop of death and destruction, Eldanesh crafted in secret a weapon of singular purpose. Weapon in hand, and against the council of his kin, Eldanesh rode to meet his destiny.

Of the battle that followed, little is remembered, although Eldanesh must have met with some measure of success for our kin still ply the stars to this day, and Eldanesh himself met a greater doom in a later age. Of the weapon's fate though, more is known, for even then the wiser of our kind foresaw the threat such a mighty weapon posed and counciled Eldanesh to destroy it. Eldanesh spoke of how such a feat was now impossible, and he spoke of how into the crafting of this weapon he had worked the very light of the Asur, and in so doing, entwined the fate of the weapon to that of our poeple. It's unmaking would surely spell the doom of all the Children of Isha. But Eldanesh too feared the weapon's existence, and proposed instead that it should be taken far away and hidden in secret lest it fall into the hands of those with less strength than himself.

For millenia, the location of this weapon has been lost to my kind but in my divinations, the Runes of Fate have shown to me a future in which the weapon's power is turned against all of the peoples in this galaxy. The Runes have revealed to me the location of the weapon, and although I do not know what doom awaits me, I know it must be reclaimed lest the apocalypse in my vision comes to pass.

This is why I am here, this is why the Eldar have come to this world."

Farseer Eluréd Jayalar of Craftworld Ulthwe addressing the Mon'Keigh currently occupying the planet Finbêth (Imperial designation : Neville Secundus)
    Last edited by Fle; 27-08-2013 at 17:51.

As promised here is some WIP pictures of my Fire Prism. I've actually used the spare parts from a Warp Hunter model and an old Falcon chassis I had from years ago to build this Fire Prism and as such I am missing the crystals. If anyone knows a good place to find those crystals online please let me know

As you can see, the turret is complete. I finished this at the weekend and have since started on the main chassis.

Last edited by Fle; 27-08-2013 at 17:52.

Well, here we go again!

I am one of those who was rubbish at updating posts here on Warseer. 'Hopefully' this time I'll pull my finger out and keep on updating. I can't afford all that pizza, so I best had!!

On with the show...

My goal is to paint the following 1000pts of Tau (possibly subject to change)

Commander in Iriduim Armour
    2x Bodyguards
    Crisis Team (2 suits)
    Stealth Team
    Two units of Fire Warriors (small units, 6 models in each)
    Pathfinders
    2 x Broadsides (One with Rail RIfle, the other with High Yield Pods)

If you hadn't have already guessed I do like battlesuits, possibly to the point of cramming too many into such a small list. But I like them, and more importantly, I like painting them. So there! (if this list nevers win anything then it may change)

Onto some fluff...

Commander Highwind has seen it all during the Tau's exspansion into unknown space. Starting out life as a Fire Warrior he progressed through the ranks until he found himself leading his troops from his Iridum battlesuit. Through his many victories however, comes sadness. Raised in Farsight's Enclaves he has never been to his native home planet. Old stories cascaded amongst the Tau of the Enclaves, albeit stories that have been torn and corrupted thanks to the many years that have passed since Farsight ignored his orders to return back to the Empire. Highwind has found himself wondering if his actions are traitorous, or was it more of a case of being abandoned by the Empire? Actions however speak stronger than words, since his first foray into battle when his original suit ended with a system failure with a band of Orks about to crack open the XV8, he shall never forget the sight of the Dawn Blade slicing through the Greenskins. Farsight ensured that Highwind returned to the colonies.

Finding himself on a new planet, which according to held human workers is known to them as 'Neville Secundus', he and his small expendition have quickly come to realize they are not alone on this planet. Farsight however insists that this planet should house a colony.

And finally, what you've all been waiting for..some piccies! Starting with the Commander:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	commander1.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	227.1 KB 
ID:	177222

Name:	commander2.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	240.1 KB 
ID:	177223

Name:	battle1.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	219.2 KB 
ID:	177220

Name:	battle2.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	195.8 KB 
ID:	177221

These are work in progress. As I'm terrible at painting whole armies I intend to do all the basic paint work first, then once everything is painted to an ok standard I'll go back over details.

Will update you all soon!

Me again!

I thought I'd post a teaser shot of the gaming board Fle mentioned. Our first game on it was a 4 player carnage battle which pitted Tyranids, Blood Angels and two Tau armies against each other.

Plenty of twists and turns which eventually led to a victory to the Imperial scum..sigh...haha

Anyway, one of Fle's captains did him proud as he stood alone against a horde of 'nids. He did really well, although eventually fell to his death.

Name:	battlefield.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	291.4 KB 
ID:	177224

Great idea, and a great start gents! I'm a big fan of little armies, not only are they easier to manage hobby-wise, but I really think its harder to craft an "all-comers" list at 1k, making every choice vital!

I'll be following this log with great interest

Memnon

Hi Memnon, thanks for the comments. I hope you enjoy the project.

Yes creating a small army which is capable of holding it's own against multiple enemies is a challenge but a fun one. Starting small has it's advantages though, painting the whole army does not seem so much of a mountain to climb for a start but also I think it's easier to create an attachment or bond to a small fledgling army, and half the fun for me is creating fluff and narrative for my units, inspired by the time I have spent modeling, painting and gaming with them. This keeps me motivated to keep modeling, painting and gaming with them

I'll hopefully have an update before too long, as I hope to finish the Fire Prism over the weekend. This leaves me with an entire month to paint my Guardian squad.

A couple of the other project members are on holiday at the moment, so I reckon you will start seeing some of their progress from next week.

Here are some pictures of the completed Fire Prism "The Spear of Khaine"

This vehicle represents about 160'ish out of my 250 point target for the month. In fairness I have been painting this tank for about 2 weeks now Overall I am quite pleased with how it has turned out. I was a bit worried about painting and highlighting so much black. It's getting a bit dark now, so apologies for the quality of the pictures.

I'm unsure whether to add any more freehand runes to the tank's hull...perhaps in a bone colour. What do you think? I also want to paint the large spirit stone with a sort of ghost like effect rune but I'm not sure how to tackle that. Also like I mentioned earlier, I'm still looking for the 'crystals' to complete the Fire Prism turret. If anybody knows where I can find some please let me know.

Next up, Guardians...
    Last edited by Fle; 01-09-2013 at 19:52.

We're having a big painting session this evening, I'm going to make a start building and converting some Guardians. I thought I would post a few pictures of the gaming board we mentioned earlier.

Chapter Master

OMG Jealous much of your awesome sauce table!

regards

My name is Daniel and I am a wargamer
    40k NURGLE BLOG http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...big-blobby-guy
    Ever wondered why Maths seemed so hard?
    "Everytime I see a maths problem it looks like this: If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 apples, how many pancakes would it take to cover the roof.
    - ANSWER - Purple, because aliens don't wear hats..."

I guess I had better post something before Fle gets the idea that we are all abandoning him again. I've been away for the last few weeks so all I've read of this so far is in a few emails.

I'm going to be continuing my drop troop guard army, but I will be painting a new 1000 points, I already have a bunch done and I'll be continuing with the same theme.

Here us a pic if some guys I did a while ago.

I haven't got a 1000 point list done yet but I can guarantee it will contain at least one vulture.

My brother is joining us too but as he isn't on warseer I'll probably be including any of his finished stuff in my posts, he is doing orks.

pfft, Vultures....

Here's a pic of both Tau players busy painting their first 250 points. Teldur in the background there working on his Broadside and our other Tau player busy painting some Kroot - they should be nasty fighting in the ruined city board we use.

Here's a pic showing my progress from last night. I managed to get the bases prepared and made a start on the Guardians themselves. Still a lot for me to get through this month but I'm confident I can hit the 250 target

Note on that image of us painting stuff. See that empty bag of Haribo? I had two of those. One of the only downsides to a group painting session!

As Fle mentioned I've started work on one of my Broadsides. I intend to finish him off and also go back and finish the work in progress suits I posted earlier (weapons, bases, jetpacks). Here is a sneak peek at him thus far:

Name:	broadside.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	219.4 KB 
ID:	177711

I'll attach a better picture once I've done more work to him.

With my army being focused on the Farsight Enclaves, and with me now owning the supplement, I've decided to change my list and go for an actual Enclave list. Sorry Commander Highwind, you'll be back (in bigger games) but I'm now taking Farsight himself. I'll also be taking full advantage of the army special rule and will be taking the Crisis Team as Troops. Other changes from the list I posted a few days ago include knocking the Firewarrior team down to just one unit of 10 (with 2 drones), dropping a lot of the special upgrades for the suits, and adding a Warscaper Drone (which is ace) and Bonding Knives (which you have to do to keep the Farsight army legit).

I'm looking to pick up a Planetary Empire pack to sort out a proper little campaign for our 1000pt armies to further give us inspiration during our painting log. One of us will post more details in the near future, but here are key bits of fluff that form the backbone of the campaign:

1> Imperial Guard are defending Neville Secundus against a Tau invasion.

2> There is a 'rift' growing between an un-easy alliance between a Tau fleet from the Empire and Farsight's Expedition.

3> Ages before the planet was colonised by the Imperium, the ancient pre-fall Eldar hid a powerful weapon beneath the surface of the planet. Farseer Eluréd Jayalar of Ulthwe has foreseen that an unknown foe is seeking to claim this weapon and has brought a strike force from Ulthwe to thawt them. What the weapon is at this point is unknown, I'm thinking a big sentient space ship or something.

4> Because the Eldar forces are small in comparison to the Imperial Guard and Tau forces, an ork waaagh has been subtly manipulated by the Eldar in order to lead them to this planet. It is the Eldar's aim to use the orks as a diversion against the Imperials and Tau as they sneak in and reclaim the weapon. Obviously the orks are unpredictable so it's quite possible they will attack the Eldar as well.

5> An inquisitor lord has learnt of the Eldar weapon lying dormant beneath the surface of this world and has arrived with a small retinue to claim it. As the Tau press their attack against the Imperials, and even as the Orks begin their assault, the Inquisitor leads a small contigent of Guardsmen to discover the relic weapon.

6> Having also learnt of the weapon's location, and unbeknown to even the Eldar (who suspect that it is only the Inquisitor that seeks the weapon) the forces of Chaos have arrived to claim it too.

The idea of all that is to give every army a reason to be fighting each other. Also it will incorprate some interesting scenerios, including the possiblity of multiplayer 2vs2 games turning traitorous, with rewards including extra victory points/tiles.

Pictures don't do Fle's Fire Prism justice, its been painted superbly! Also good to see Mr Tarsus getting a post up, I can only begin to imagine the pain his drop troops will inflict on my smaller army.

I'll post more piccies of the work done so far after tomorrow (for tomorrow is painting day!)

Keep up the good work guys, always great to see nice painted armies fighting over good terrain

'ello once again!

Thought I'd post a bit of an update.

Most of the work on the Broadside is now done, as you can see below:

Name:	broadside.JPG 
Views:	255 
Size:	446.6 KB 
ID:	177984

Name:	broadside side on.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	455.3 KB 
ID:	177985

The finer details need to be looked at, particularly on the generator on the back of the model, but haven't decided how to go about this yet. You'll also notice no paint on the weapons (which is a common fact about all my weapons so far). Simply put, I don't know what to do with them at the moment. I really need to get all of the suits weapons, bases and the Broadside's rear generator finished before the end of the first month of this log for it to be a success, so I need to decide pretty sharp-ish.

In the following pictures you'll see what has been painted so far, including a unit of Pathfinders (which have only really had the blue bits done thus far) and a lone Stealth Team. I want my Stealth Team to blend a little into the grey colour of the board. The grey I've picked out however is far too dark at the moment, although Fle has recomended that I drybrush a lighter grey over the top. So, I shall be purchasing another pot of paint today/tomorrow so that I can drybrush that lone suit to see what I think before progressing onto the rest of the squad.

Name:	amrysofar.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	183.6 KB 
ID:	177986

Name:	army so far (2).jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	227.2 KB 
ID:	177987

Name:	stealth suit wip.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	214.3 KB 
ID:	177988

I'm not an accomplished painter, but I'm really enjoying this little project. I'm going to get all of the decided weapon options onto the suits tomorrow and start getting some paint on them.

Seeing them all together is great for motivation, as was mine and Fle's small 1000pt battle the other day. He was using some of his older red Eldar models, but it just goes to show how good the painted stuff will be once fully finished on the board.

Name:	broadsidetakingaim.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	240.9 KB 
ID:	177989

Name:	eldar (2).jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	294.8 KB 
ID:	177990

Name:	eldar.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	241.5 KB 
ID:	177991

Nice update Teldur. Your 250 points are really starting to take shape.

Here's my update for the month. Guardians all built and ready for painting

And as I haven't got any painting to upload today I thought I'd show some pictures of my Blood Angels sweeping across our ruined cityscape. Most of the army was painted by me but a few units were commission pieces which ill need to spend some time touching up so they better match the bulk of my army.

There's some great painting here guys, any chance of completed army shots for each of the factions.
    My Plog;
    Currently: Dark Eldar approaching 1800points now
    Also 2500+ pts Salamanders now completed
    (pages 2 and 3 of PLOG), Ork army needs finishing approaching 2000points & XXX pts Guard on hold at moment.

6th Ed Win loss record: W/D/L 6/1/6

Chapter Master

Well its been a month guys....any more updates? This is amazing, now if only I could persuade my local group to do something like this rather than purely doing tournaments. Keep it up guys

are all the armies being based the same not sure from pics but if so really cool touch.
    Last edited by williamsond; 21-10-2013 at 21:24.

Well it's been a while since any of us did any updates, especially me. But the wait is finally over and it's a biggy.

The first is my vulture gunship, it's still missing weapons and I'm going to reposition the flight stand to be more centered but it is finished. I have a pair of punisher cannons but the got damaged so I've left them off until I can repair them.

The second model I've been painting is from the Reaper bones kickstarter she is a steam punk ship captain which I was originally going to turn into a commissar but instead she is going to be the fleet officer in my command squad. She is still WiP. I have her wearing the standard gear of my guard underneath her fleet overcoat.