Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Life in the Vault is about to change

Life in the Vault is about to change

Hey people,
    with steam's last summer sale I jumped on the opportunity and picked up all the Fallout games. Now I had been looking for a new project for a while and after playing through the magnificent first installment of Fallout I knew I wanted to do something along those lines.
    But first let's set the mood:

So the plan is to make a tabletop RPG out of Fallout 1. At first only to the point where you retrieve the water chip.
    Now being all excited about the new project naturally I started painting right away. Not having anything special just for this project this is the stuff I ended up with.
    Some terrain stuff to use for random encounters:

Re-purposed Goliath minis, I plan to use them as Raiders:

First try at a ghoul. Now in Fallout there's nothing like feral ghouls in FO3, so I gave him a couple grenades and a bone knife and what I hope is a sentient look.

As always comments, critique, hints and questions are highly welcome!
    <

Re: Life in the Vault is about to change

Heya, Gargobot. Cool project, make sure to let Tommygun know.

Minis look cool. It's rare and therefore GOOD to see some of them plastic Goliaths painted (and painted well). Ghoul looks neat as well. Senitent - sure. Sane? Not so sure...

What else is in store for us with this one?
    <

Quote Originally Posted by sigur View Post
    Heya, Gargobot. Cool project, make sure to let Tommygun know.

Minis look cool. It's rare and therefore GOOD to see some of them plastic Goliaths painted (and painted well). Ghoul looks neat as well. Senitent - sure. Sane? Not so sure...

What else is in store for us with this one?
    Well I knew starting a log in General Science-Fiction might turn out to be a lonely experience, thanks for keeping me company.

So what else is in store? Right now I have about a hundred bucks in different minis on the way to me, so this project is gonna be all over the place. A Hasslefree Heresy and even a Malifaux dude. Obviously I have some brother vinni "nuclear sandlot" minis, but those I'll keep for later, since they won't be of use for a long while.

So for now it's more boring GW stuff (don't worry I have only a total of 5 of those):

Trying for black skin here, with mediocre results so far. I'm open to suggestions.

And the other ghoul I had lying around also received a Fallout treatment:

<

Am busy with my own Fallout hobby project, but based around the Fallout 3 version (ghouls and all), so will watch this with interest! You're painting is really good. The Goliaths particularly look good.
    <

Have a look here for some sweet models. keeping a eye on this log
    <

I've got a bunch of the Brother Vinny stuff. It's all very good.
    <

Quote Originally Posted by nedius View Post
    Am busy with my own Fallout hobby project, but based around the Fallout 3 version (ghouls and all), so will watch this with interest! You're painting is really good. The Goliaths particularly look good.
    Do you have a log somewhere? It's always nice to see somebody else's take on Fallout.

Quote Originally Posted by Deamon-forge View Post
    Have a look here for some sweet models. keeping a eye on this log
    Quote Originally Posted by nedius View Post
    I've got a bunch of the Brother Vinny stuff. It's all very good.
    Yeah, I have two dudes in power armor from Brother Vinni and if anybody wonders it's topnotch quality. I do recommend them. But as the project is limited to the water-chip part of the game I don't have any use for those minis yet. And quite frankly I'm worried about doing them justice.
    Thanks for the comments though guys.

In other news, my order from Heresy arrived today. So you'll see some vault dwellers soon.
    For the time being here are two more guys. Originally intended as Raiders, but I think the old guy on the left looks more like a lawman. Maybe I'll use him as Killian.

<

Those GW cultists look really cool, I like the liberal use of rust. You been digging into the old pigments, ol'boy what!

The guy in the left looks great especially. Really good post-apoc lawman.
    <

Hey, cool! I love seeing some Fallout stuff in miniature format. Great work on what you've done so far, but I don't quite feel that the GW cultists fit in with the fallout universe, especially with the chaos stars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Litcheur View Post
    Note to 40k players : switching to historicals will get you laid.
    \m/ Metalheads of WarSeer \m/ <- click

Please visit my random project log!
    <

I did not know you had this log my friend. But these models are excellent. Very crisp and good use of colours.
    I'm curious to see how this and the whole game will turn out. Keep it up!
    <

whats the lawmans base model? could work well for a vault dweller. keep it up
    <

Those GW cultists look really cool, I like the liberal use of rust. You been digging into the old pigments, ol'boy what!

The guy in the left looks great especially. Really good post-apoc lawman.
    I say ol' boy, I say. I've ordered a pot of that "liquid rust" stuff Garfy reviewed on TOP, so we'll see what I end up using for rust.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiphas Cain View Post
    Hey, cool! I love seeing some Fallout stuff in miniature format. Great work on what you've done so far, but I don't quite feel that the GW cultists fit in with the fallout universe, especially with the chaos stars.
    Well the "classic" chaos star is only featured once, as a branding on one of the guys, and I tried to hide it by not highlighting it very much. The other guys have that, admittedly 8-pointed, sun symbol. But I do see your point and partly share in your opinion. So the remaining two dudes will be put on hold indefinitely. Maybe if I end up with enough Raiders (which doesn't seem unlikely at the moment) I can use the cultists as Children of the Cathedral.

Quote Originally Posted by Breazer View Post
    I did not know you had this log my friend. But these models are excellent. Very crisp and good use of colours.
    I'm curious to see how this and the whole game will turn out. Keep it up!
    I'm glad you found it buddy. Thanks for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Deamon-forge View Post
    whats the lawmans base model? could work well for a vault dweller. keep it up
    Well it's a model assembled out of this box...

with a GW Empire Flagellant head. The box is OOP but can be picked up in numerous internet stores for a bargain. The quality is rather decent, but the arms and heads suck. In fact I've only build one dude where I didn't substitute a GW head or arms.

So with fall literally raining down on me I wasn't able to spraycoat my Vault Dwellers yet. Instead I painted this super buff guy, also to serve as a Raider:

Last edited by Gargobot; 16-09-2013 at 20:21.
    <

Really nicely painted Gargo. his face is so alive. I really like it. Keep up the great work.
    And i'd be interested to see a groupshot of em.
    <

I know what's going on on ToP, but thanks for the link!

The box looks really cool, the mini looks really cool too. I really like the mischievious look on his face. Weathering on the armour parts looks really, really cool.
    <

Quote Originally Posted by Breazer View Post
    Really nicely painted Gargo. his face is so alive. I really like it. Keep up the great work.
    And i'd be interested to see a groupshot of em.
    Thanks Breaz. Groupshot to follow soonish.

I know what's going on on ToP, but thanks for the link!

The box looks really cool, the mini looks really cool too. I really like the mischievious look on his face. Weathering on the armour parts looks really, really cool.
    Are you really sure about all that? Thanks man.

So remember how I said the heads and arms from the Street Gang box suck? Here is an example why:

I probably shouldn't have used the head, but its likeness to a certain Street Fighter character won me over. Let's call him No-Forehead-Guile.
    Anyway I would like to close with a rather unusual request. Please don't comment on or reply to this thread, as I'd like to post at least one Vault Dweller on the first page of this project log. Thanks.
    <

Quote Originally Posted by Gargobot View Post
    Anyway I would like to close with a rather unusual request. Please don't comment on or reply to this thread, as I'd like to post at least one Vault Dweller on the first page of this project log. Thanks.
    Sorry, just saw this and cannot wait for more fallout goodness
    <

This is an interesting concept and (more importantly IMO) excellent painting.
    It seems really fun to be able to mix and match minis from different producers and game systems to fin the different characters in fallout.
    The whole style of what you've gotten is very cool. I'm looking forward to following this.
    Check out the Tale of Board Game Painters in the group project logs!

All my miniature painting in one combined log - index in first post - 40K CSM, Fantasy O&G, Boardgames and other random stuff

Quote Originally Posted by cpl_hicks View Post
    Sorry, just saw this and cannot wait for more fallout goodness
    Hehe, with your avatar I can't blame you.

Quote Originally Posted by Solun Decius View Post
    This is an interesting concept and (more importantly IMO) excellent painting.
    It seems really fun to be able to mix and match minis from different producers and game systems to fin the different characters in fallout.
    The whole style of what you've gotten is very cool. I'm looking forward to following this.
    Thanks mate, coming from you that's a big compliment.

So I tackled the old guy first as I wasn't sure whether I would use the mini at all, sorta like a test piece. But I have to say I like him quite a bit now:

Originally he held a coffee cup in his hand but I tried to make it look more like camping type water bottle, sorta like the flasks you could find in Fallout 1 and 2:

So what do you guys think?
    <

Nice and blue good sir.

I like him, you should definitly include him somehow. He seems like he's blunt but has seen a lot. And he has a moustache. He'd almost remind us of someone we know and love if he were older.

Keep up the great work!
    <

Fantastic to see another Fallout project on here
    Really great work. I've played very little of the early games, my gaming hours and project are all centred on 3 and New Vegas
    <

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast