Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Resistance isn't futile: Danish resistance in WWII

Resistance isn't futile: Danish resistance in WWII

This thread will focus on the Danish Resistance during world war two, and also on their German occupiers as well as the local goons (like the Schalburgkorps) siding with the Germans. As there was no Allied invasion of Denmark until after the Germans had given up I may have to invent a more active resistance than they really had to be able to play bigger battles than what did happen, which was more concerned with sabotage and killings of "stikkere"/collaborators. The Danish resistance did get their hands on quite an arsenal though, as can be seen in this picture of a resistance troop which includes a banker with a bazooka:

Here is the first finished group of resistance fighters:

I plan to use these for Bolt Action with the new France and the Allies supplement.

Re: Resistance isn't futile: Danish resistance in WWII

First! No, just kidding. That has to be one of the most badass historical photos I've ever seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigBadWolf View Post
    In the toilets?!

You dirty bugger!!!

Bankfuldmægtig med Bazooka
    How cool is that?

This is a really interesting theme you're picking here, and the finished rebels look really nice.
    What models are they, and will you be using random models from here and there or is there a particular collection that you're looking at here?
    Check out the Tale of Board Game Painters in the group project logs!

All my miniature painting in one combined log - index in first post - 40K CSM, Fantasy O&G, Boardgames and other random stuff

Yay, proper plog, very good photo!

As I said, this certainly is one of the more interesting WW2 projects. Not necessarily quick to paint due to lack of uniforms but surely varied enough and compared to painting TYW guys, not that much of a change. Looking forward to seeing the next additions to the collection

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Facebeard View Post
    First! No, just kidding. That has to be one of the most badass historical photos I've ever seen.
    I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Solun Decius View Post
    Bankfuldmægtig med Bazooka
    How cool is that?
    Very.
    This is a really interesting theme you're picking here, and the finished rebels look really nice.
    What models are they, and will you be using random models from here and there or is there a particular collection that you're looking at here?
    Thank you. It's a quite personal theme as well, since my grandfather was in the Danish resistance. He fled to Sweden in '44.
    I'll get models from here and there for the Danes, received a package from Musketeer Miniatures yesterday, with IRA and VBCW models. Mainly riflemen, but also a Vickers machinegun.
    The Germans will be plastic Blitzkrieg models from Warlord, and so will probably the Schalburg Corps be too.
    Quote Originally Posted by sigur View Post
    Yay, proper plog, very good photo!

As I said, this certainly is one of the more interesting WW2 projects. Not necessarily quick to paint due to lack of uniforms but surely varied enough and compared to painting TYW guys, not that much of a change. Looking forward to seeing the next additions to the collection
    Thank you. No pikemen here though.

Veteran Sergeant

Very nice! Can't wait to see what else you've got coming!

Thank you warriorpoet1!

I painted up the model you get for free from Warlord if you buy the rulebook direct from them, the Never Surrender model. I think it will be a fine Liaison Officer for the Danes.

Haha, i think after that photography was taken bank robberies in Denmark decreased drastically.
    Nice theme and painting. Waiting for more.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtn View Post
    ...No pikemen here though.
    Not yet. Let's see how the supply situation changes for either the resistance or ze Germans.

Oh yes, very nice Never Surrender figure. These freebie-minis are indeed a clever incentive to have people buy from Warlord directly. If only I remembered where I put my Pike&Shotte guy. :S

Chapter Master

Cool picture for sure.

You're right in that there is a distinct lack of "set-piece engagements" when it comes to the resistance. But then again, I'm partial to skirmish gaming so a handful of resistance fighters infiltrating a German base would be just up my alley.

Incidentally, my grandfather was also involved with the resistance movement. To this day, he will not talk about those times. I find it a bit sad, to be honest, as I think it's important that the memories of these men are preserved for future generations. But I'm not going to push him on it...

The expression on the bazooka guys face is hilarious.

My parents took me to Denmark way back in 1991. I was only 9, but had already developed a great interest in WWII, so we went to the Danish Resistance Museum in Copenhagen. I've still got a photo (non-digital, of course, so can't upload it) of me standing next to the homemade armored car they had out front (which was literally a car with plates bolted on and patriotic slogans painted on. The other thing I remember from that museum was a map they had on the wall. This map showed the country of Denmark, with locations marking acts of railway sabotage in colored lights. These lights covered the entire rail network of the country! It was unbelievable; I don't think there was a single mile of track that hadn't been hit by saboteurs at least once.

There may not have been pitched battles on Danish soil, but those guys could be hardcore. And that's not even mentioning the whole saving-practically-the-whole-Jewish-population trick they pulled...
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to glue and buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by FraustyTheSnowman View Post
    Anything else I have to say has already been said by Col Shaw...listen to the lego man, he's wise.
    "Ember of Dreams"
    http://www.amazon.com/Ember-Dreams-C...0408773&sr=1-1

Quote Originally Posted by Corvussanctus View Post
    Haha, i think after that photography was taken bank robberies in Denmark decreased drastically.
    Nice theme and painting. Waiting for more.
    Thank you.

Not yet. Let's see how the supply situation changes for either the resistance or ze Germans.

Oh yes, very nice Never Surrender figure. These freebie-minis are indeed a clever incentive to have people buy from Warlord directly. If only I remembered where I put my Pike&Shotte guy. :S
    Thanks. Hope you find your Hugh Raleigh again though.
    Quote Originally Posted by f2k View Post
    Cool picture for sure.

You're right in that there is a distinct lack of "set-piece engagements" when it comes to the resistance. But then again, I'm partial to skirmish gaming so a handful of resistance fighters infiltrating a German base would be just up my alley.

Incidentally, my grandfather was also involved with the resistance movement. To this day, he will not talk about those times. I find it a bit sad, to be honest, as I think it's important that the memories of these men are preserved for future generations. But I'm not going to push him on it...
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by cornonthecob View Post
    The expression on the bazooka guys face is hilarious.
    Oh yes.

Quote Originally Posted by ColShaw View Post
    My parents took me to Denmark way back in 1991. I was only 9, but had already developed a great interest in WWII, so we went to the Danish Resistance Museum in Copenhagen. I've still got a photo (non-digital, of course, so can't upload it) of me standing next to the homemade armored car they had out front (which was literally a car with plates bolted on and patriotic slogans painted on. The other thing I remember from that museum was a map they had on the wall. This map showed the country of Denmark, with locations marking acts of railway sabotage in colored lights. These lights covered the entire rail network of the country! It was unbelievable; I don't think there was a single mile of track that hadn't been hit by saboteurs at least once.
    I need to get to that museum myself, haven't been to Denmark for ten years.
    There may not have been pitched battles on Danish soil, but those guys could be hardcore. And that's not even mentioning the whole saving-practically-the-whole-Jewish-population trick they pulled...
    And you know what? One of those jews (well half-jew, but the Nazis didn't care about that) was a cute little lady that ended up becoming my grandmother.

Here is quite a big batch of models, most of them are from Musketeer Miniatures, IRA riflemen and some VBCW models.

The guy to the right is an old seafarer called Kaptajn Kuller down on his luck. I wonder if there's a plucky young journalist around that could get him on the right keel?

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by mrtn View Post
    The guy to the right is an old seafarer called Kaptajn Kuller down on his luck. I wonder if there's a plucky young journalist around that could get him on the right keel?
    I thought the very same thing when I saw him...

I'd say this army definitely needs a tintin/snowy objective markier.

Very good stuff. The variety of the models is great. I like Kaptajn Kuller indeed and the guy with the helmet is pretty cool as well. Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by f2k View Post
    I thought the very same thing when I saw him...
    Thanks. The colour scheme is not an accident.
    Quote Originally Posted by cornonthecob View Post
    I'd say this army definitely needs a tintin/snowy objective markier.
    We'll see if I can find something.
    Very good stuff. The variety of the models is great. I like Kaptajn Kuller indeed and the guy with the helmet is pretty cool as well. Keep it up!
    Thank you. The guy with the helmet is part of the Vickers machine gun team. I still have to build and greenstuff that.

I finished a Italeri 1:48 scale Opel Blitz truck as far as I could, unfortunately it was missing a wheel so I've left those off for the moment. I'll add it when I receive the replacement from Italeri.
    It's mainly painted as a German truck...

...but it's also magnetised to work with my partisans. In that case it's owned by Jensen's fruit and veg company:

Hey, excellent progress here. Already a sizable force of riflemen and the truck is great. Very thematic.
    Is that a specific greengrocer you're referring to?
    Check out the Tale of Board Game Painters in the group project logs!

All my miniature painting in one combined log - index in first post - 40K CSM, Fantasy O&G, Boardgames and other random stuff

These look good. The Never Surrender model is quite nice eh?

Very, very pretty. Now that I see it, I think that the hand-painted sign actually works better than something printed out. Also very gladly surprised how darned well the 1/48th vehicle scales with the 28mm. I shall keep that in mind. Good grime on the windows too!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast