Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Battle Brush Studios' little histories

Battle Brush Studios' little histories

Hi,

this project log is dedicated to the small historical projects I work on. One-off miniatures, single squads, small additions to existing collections of one of my clients or indeed mine, everything that doesn't really warrant a project log of its own. It's essentially meant for those little things I squeeze in between larger projects.

Every once in a while there might be some cross-overs with other historical painting logs I'm running. I'm not sure in how far this plog will get updated very regularly with new stuff. Currently I'm working on many different historical things but I think that this plog will lie dormant for a while in between these things during times at which I'm woring on Fantasy/Sci-Fi stuff again.

Just so there is something to look at in the first post already, here are some pictures of historicals I painted in the past (going through human history chronologially):

..so much for the little overview in the rear view mirror. In the next post I'll talk about things I currently work on and what's to come in the future.

Re: Battle Brush Studios' little histories

Okay, let's get cracking on this.

What recently was finished - a bunch of Firelock musketeers from Warlord Games. To be honest, I was mostly curious about the models, I needed more historical stuff to showcase anyway and at the price I felt I couldn't do much wrong with a random purchase. Also: relatively low model count per box so I thought I wouldn't get hooked as easily.

Review: Firelock Storming Party

...and here's what I'm currently working on - a German WW2 infantry section and a few combat engineers to clear their way:

Yup, there's grass and whatnot on the bases already but the painting isn't finished. Kind of weird, I know but I really wasn't in the mood for painting them any more and thought I'd quickly do the basing and then go back and see what details are left to finish. I also was curious to see the final colour scheme with the grass added and such. Usually I'm a fan of 'pretty' basing but I wanted to go for somthing different on these guys. Note how the tall grass is all burned on the flamethrower guys' base.

Oh, never saw those gladiators before. They look great, as does everything really. The Germans look particularly snappy.

Very nice sigur i love the germans
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309966 random stuff warmachine,dystopian wars and malifaux updated 03/03/13

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...95#post6202095 historical log updated 24/09/13

@mrtn: Thanks! I'm currently writing a review for the set.

@Gargobot: Cheers. This is why I started this plog - so the little things don't go by unseen!

@basher: Thank you. I'm afraid they still aren't quite finished but I'm slooowly getting there.

Now for something completely different:

Austrian Line Infantry with shakos! As you may remember from my report from Salute 2013, I got this box more or less on a whim. At some point or another, everybody dabbles in Napoleonics and while in the end I'll probably go 6mm for proper battles... well, 28mm is always alluring and I thought I should get some practice painting napoleonic infantry.

I do have the Sharp Practice rulebook lying around which I'd give a try some day. I'm aware that the rules are used for all kinds of periods but oh well. At its core the rules are meant for Napoleonic skirmishes so I'll keep that in mind. I'd really like to give them a try for ACW too though.

Well, I hope you like this very early WIP shot. The all-white uniform is certainly daunting but I think I'll manage.

I got a vibe of "dude, don't ask us to comment on your application of white paint", so I decided to go crazy and add some more colours.

For demonstration purposes (and added colour), I decided to have the guys showing the different arm options from the box to be all from different regiments (as incidated by different colours on sleeves, collars and turnovers). Marching guys are of the 3rd Regiment 'Erzherzog Karl'.

During wasting an hour and a half online reading about regiment colours and looking for pictures, I found a group of reenactors from around Vienna who depict (play? not sure what it's called in reenactment) a bunch of Grenadiers from the 3rd.

Mmmmmh, sexy....

Well that certainly is some nice white you got there, but it's the small spots of color that make it really look good. Now is that dude on the far right based on an actual historical regiment? Cause they must've been the most badass badasses since the invention of badassery.

They are starting to look pretty cool already, curious how they will turn out once done.

That's better with more colors then white. Lovely paintjob. I know it's not you fault, but those shakos make them look like an armed mob of postillions.

@Gargobot: Thanks muchly, Sir and indeed, there actually were four regiments with shades of pink turnovers.

@Breazer: Thanks, buddy!

@Corvussanctus: Yeah, I guess it's the things on the back of the shakos. Thanks for the comment!

Based and backpack'd! Also, I gave the wild colour pattern Austrian flagpoles displayed at the time a try. Just some playing around, it will be neatened up shortly. :P

dude they look awsome although that horse dose look a bit anemic.
    Last edited by basher; 24-09-2013 at 21:51.
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309966 random stuff warmachine,dystopian wars and malifaux updated 03/03/13

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...95#post6202095 historical log updated 24/09/13

I hope you're gonna paint one of those 4 regiments at some point then. I guess the blue guys will do in the meantime.
    (By which I mean that they look awesome; for me painting troops mostly white would be way too daunting.)

That pole looks fantastic. You must have used your magnifying thingy for it because i couldnt do that.
    starting to look really cool.

Chapter Master

Those Thracian and Murmillo Gladiators looked really cool. Those were new to me. Do you have a larger Ludus sitting around that needs to be photographed?

Nice work on the Austrians.
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

@basher: Thanks. Horse looks a bit better now.

@Gargobot: Cheers. It's not as horrible as I thought but then I didn't really paint them too greatly. Napoleonics only really have to look good en masse anyway.

@Breazer: Thanks muchly. Just used my poor old eyes.

@Easy E: Thanks, mate! Actually, painting these guys went really quick, I think took about a night or so. Made me want to build a little arena too because it really isn't too hard to do I think. My gaming nemesis lent me the Warhammer Historical Gladiators book. Amazing production value and you gotta love a ruleset that has statlines for boars and various kinds of bears as combatants.

Right-o guys, the Austrians are done!

..and with them one more period sample for the showcase. Important one too. Phew.

What do you think, Sirs?

I think that banner is unreal.
    2012 Minis bought: 363 - - Minis painted: 373
    2013 Minis bought: 1060 - - Minis painted: 210
    2014 Minis bought: 651 - - Minis painted: 63
    2015 Minis bought: 1057 - - Minis painted: 105 - - Sold: 556
    2016 Minis bought: 386 - - Minis painted: 8 - - Sold: 332

Chapter Master

Nicely done. Imagine how dirty those white uniforms would get in a battle. I think white was a poor choice for national battledress, but that could just be me.

I would be very happy to get my hands on a copy of that Gladiator book, but they went defunct before I had a chance.
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

Those look awesome. They're Victrix, right?

I'd love to play me some Naps, they look so damn cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Litcheur View Post
    Note to 40k players : switching to historicals will get you laid.
    \m/ Metalheads of WarSeer \m/ <- click

Please visit my random project log!

@EmperorNorton: It's just cut out and glued together. :P In the review you'll see that those flags actually come in the box with the minis which is very handy.

@Easy E: In the late 18th and early 19th century, Austria won quite a lot of international prizes for their pretty uniforms but in battle Austrian and British uniforms were known to be the easiest targets during the Napoleonic Wars. :P On campaign all armies used to wear overcoats over the uniforms and over the more impressive hats. The 'proper uniforms' mostly only came out for battle or to impress womenfolk. The white on Austrian uniforms, depending on the dye and material, tended to fade into greenish or grey. Quite often chalk was used to whiten up uniforms again. having 'realistic' looking Napoleonic uniforms is cute for dioramas and such to transport mood or a 'point', but for general purpose wargaming or showcase it would be quite a waste to have such models all dirtied up. I did add dirt and dust to the boots and on some to the lower parts of the breeches though.

@Caiphas Cain: Yup, Victrix. Got the box at Salute this year for 17.00 (show price) so quite a steal. I mean they're a steal either way but at that price a special steal deal. Yeah, Napoleonics look amazing. The only way I can see myself play the period in 28mm though is through Sharp Practice though. For the regular big battle stuff, I think I'd go 6mm (or 10mm if people finally realized the grandiousity of this scale).

Today I finished the WW2 Germans and did some more work on the last bunch of Cold War British Army of the Rhine guys. I contemplated putting together a section of Commandos (also 28mm, Warlord Games) but I decided to put them away. Enough with the pointless showcase historicals for now and back to some actual work I say. (which is why tomorrow I'll go buy some of those new Space Marines).

Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast