Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Thread: Battle Brush Studios' little histories

Re: Battle Brush Studios' little histories

Hey Warseer! It's time for a new project, yes it is!

17th century stuff, so right up my alley. It's a large project altogether. Pretty huge actually. A very cuirassier-heavy force of the Holy Roman Empire under the capably leaderships of the Habsburg dynasty. The one with no P in it.

I myself only played a short intro game to By Fire and Sword last summer. If I remember correctly the rules seem servicable, but don't quite measure up with the scale of stuff I chose with my 10mm TYW figures. By Fire and Sword of course does not cover the TYW, but all the stuff that went on in Poland between the late 1640s and roughly 1675 if I remember correctly. When everybody who had too many soldiers and weapons went to Poland to have a fight. Because most of what's Germany today was all messed up at the time, the British were having their own lukewarm remake of the TYW, the French wouldn't let other armies into their country and you don't start a land war in Asia. So Poland was the only option left pretty much.

The setting is a very interesting one actually, for several reasons: European armies had developed a whole lotta new tactics and such during the Thirty Years war, there were Transylvanians at the southern border, Ottomans, the Khanate of Crimea, Moscovites (who later would become the Russian Empire of course), Tartars, Poland-Lithuania, Prussia-Brandenburg already causing a ruckus and foreshadowing their later upstart-y and ruckus-causing ways, Swedes attempting to cement their standing as a major European power, and so on and so on. Add to this the geography favouring mobile warfare and lots and lots of space. Great setting. Which is why there's a very popular Polish series of novels about this time and an excellent mod of the excellent Mount&Blade:Warband.

By Fire and Sword plus the accompanying 15mm miniatures range are published by Wargamer.pl, a - you guessed it - Polish company. Very friendly dudes from what I can tell as I met some of them at last year's Austrian Salute.

The books are huge and full colour and extremely well produced, there are army lists and points values and whatnot and a huge range of figures.

I never got into it myself, because I already do pike&shot things in 10mm and with the TYW and I'm holding off on getting into it until they maybe come up with a TYW supplement. Which I don't think they will. But that's okay. Anyway, I gotta do a huge army of those 15mm chaps now. First, as always (after having talked details and such with the customer), I did a a few test bases:

Four bases of Cuirassiers (very old-school for the setting, but they're depicting veterans. These are from Khurasan Miniatures in the USA. If you don't know them, check out their ranges of 15mm figures. They are amazing. For years I planned to get a bunch of sci-fi minis of theirs, because they do amazing minis ranges.), two bases of dismounted Dragoons.

The bases were met with favour, so off I went to get them mass produced. Jump ahead a few days - hello!

These are all the Khurasan Cuirassiers done (right, dudes in dark armour), as well as the "Imperial Skirmish Force" boxed set by Wargamer.pl. Flags were all included with the Wargamer.pl minis as well the bases.

Hope you like them!

Quote Originally Posted by sigur View Post
    Yes, the steel was of not too great quality, it was bolted and all of that. To be fair though: most other tanks were also taken out by AT guns of their time (that's what AT guns are for) and a 'full-size' field artillery round hitting a tank would get ANY tank into big trouble. So yeah, anti-tank weapons or direct hits with HUGE explody things do harm tanks. This isn't a specific to the Italian vehicles.
    But what other tanks could be taken out by .50 cal AP rounds; none but the M13/xx series, as I recall, plus the SPG variants of that series....?

Dang! That is a lot of horsemen. Looks great!
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

@Noble Korhedron: I'd suspect quite a number of 1930s designs. But I'm not really into looking up armour penetration tables any more.

@Easy E: Thanks!

New WIP shot:

That's the Imperial Regiment of Foot box. After that I'll do some more Cuirassiers!

Lovely work on those 15 mil's sir.

Hope you like them!
    I do like them .
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Bloody hell that's some paint job, @Sigur; so this is going to be what, the #TYW; as in Norway, Sweden, the HRE, Russia and I forget who else...?

I always like how bold the colors are, and this is no exception. And on a less mainstream subject to boot!

When I got the new osprey Pikeman's Lament rules in the mail, the first person I thought of was you Sigur!
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

Excellent stuff sir

@Codsticker: Well, that's good then. Thanks!

@Noble Korhedron: Thanks, Sir! This is for a bit after the TYW. Polish historians call it something like "the time when all the foreign armies invaded". Polish-Lithuanians, HRE, Muscovites/Russians (who switched sides twice), Prussia-Brandenburg, Khanate Crimea, Swedes, Transsilvanians, Ottomans, etc. A really colourful setting with lots of movement (playing campaigns must be really interesting).

@Shrubs: Cheers! Yeah, you always gotta keep in mind that lighting on gaming tables full of stuff usually is way less strong as on the painting table/ the lightbox. So stuff better be bold. I also prefer to go bold and colourful on commission stuff when i know it's going to stand next to other people's minis on the table. Make the white a little bit whiter, make those colours "pop" a little bit more. Makes'em stand out. All within reason of course. On the huge Waterloo game we had two years ago (and to which I contributed one unit :P ) people could tell which one mine was. That was kinda cool. Of course the fact that I only had to paint one unit (still, 36 figures..) as opposed to 100 made it easier to get that one to look prettier.

@Easy E: That's nice. Yeah, maybe I should get that one too just to see how they solved the problem of pikes in a skirmish game. It also tackles this whole petit guerre thing of course and it would make for a great winter table theme.

@DC147: Cheers!

Yeah, I painted another box worth of cuirassiers, horses still awaiting painting as I have to get the right primer (will pick that up in a bit). Another box of cuirassiers, each of them is like 14 bases, so ca. 42 dudes. Not sure I'll do those right away as i'm getting fed up with the 15mm dudes a little (WHY DON'T YOU CRAZY TINY PEOPLE WEAR UNIFORMS???? aargh! ) and there are more pressing projects (Guildball [engineers], Super Dungeon Explore [a huge new batch of things] and 25mm Napoleonics [National Guard of Warsaw]). Edit: oh, and the supersecret things I may or may not be able to talk about. But let's see.

Good advice to keep in mind for my upcoming project, thank you! I often find myself in the trap of painting for holding the model near, but then at typical distances they lose many of the finer nuisances that look oh-so-pretty up close.
    I use Vallejo Model color almost exclusively, so the paints are a little more toned down to begin with versus GW or even Vallejo Game color. I've noticed and have read that Vallejo paints tend to go into a more 'pastel' tone when adding white to them for highlights, I may have to experiment outside my painting comfort zone with different lighter shades with a final white highlight to really get the 'pop.' Developing new painting techniques is always fun

@shrubs: Oh yes, it's always about shaking up things, trying out new stuff and so on. Lately I really enjoy using a slightly faded yellow (kinda hay-like?) instead of white to mix into paints. It's all an ever-evolving process, isn't it.

Heyhey, here I am again.

I painted a Crossley 19.6 Custom!

The weathering doesn't come out as well in these pictures. I blame the lighting.

...and I've been to Austrian Salute!

Here's my report of the show:

http://www.battlebrushstudios.com/20...lute-2017.html

Later on I put up an article in which I discuss what I bought on the weekend and in which I more or less effectively try to explain why all of these purchases were very necessary and justified:

http://skirmishwargaming.com/austria...e-loot-report/

Right, I hope you enjoy the pictures and the articles.

I expect a thorough review of Rogue Stars to show up on Skirmish Wargaming in short order.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Two questions, Sigur; (A) is that Crossley thing you painted the same as a 'Crossley Tender'; and (B) what scales can Fire and Sword be used with?

Yeah, it probably makes the most sense. MAYBE 10mm, but with stuff like GHQ's around there barely is a reason to go bigger.

@Kisanis: Yeah, everything is surprisingly detailled! It's expensive, but really, really pretty. 20mm Vietnam, eh? Sounds intriguing. Which set of rules do you plan to use? Do you have your terrain for that project already? Who do you get your 20mm stuff from?

Just as a heads up, I started a new painting log for my 6mm Napoleonic French army. I always appreciate comments and views. See you there!
    Hey! You asked me a question before the great crash of 2016!

The game i got hooked on was "charlie Company" and it was a ton of fun. Narrative driven where the gm runs the VC and the players get squads of US soldiers.

It has a strong focus on camapign play where you're just trying to get through your tour of duty.

I've also been looking at charlie dont surf by too fat lardies, i think its based on chain of command - as well as the vietnam expansion to force on force.

Charlie company and the models i got are both from RAFM and ive been impressed so far. I think my friend and I will demo it soon and hopefully ill have some pics up on my plog!

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    I have too many project armies to list...
    Check out my Painting Blog! Comments/Criticism welcome! Historicals, 40k, Fantasy and more! - 2016 Model Count: 68 Bought/10 Painted
    Tabletop Showcase A forum dedicated to wargaming project logs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
    In other words as a rock player I find that changes to scissors are fair, balanced and reasonable but that paper has been made too strong in this edition and should be nerfed.

@Noble Korhedron: A) I think the one I painted is a bit later; a 1925 model. The Tender was a WW1 military hauler, right? If you're looking for one in 28mm, Trenchworx do the Tender. B) As with anything you can play it at any scale you like. The "official" scale is 15mm. I played it with 10mm models in a test game, but you can go with 6, 20, 25, 28... what ever you and your gaming buddies choose. Of course 15mm is the most convenient because they sell them in packs based on the rules. The game is set to be played at various levels of forces; from smaller divisions to whole armies fighting proper battles. The rules seem to be popular and they got full colour, hardback rulebooks and points values and all of that.

@Kisanis: Oh yes, I vaguely remember that. I heard of Charlie Company and the whole roleplaying aspect/campaign game sounds very intriguing. Charlie don't Surf is based on I Ain't Been Shot, Mum!, so company-level stuff (really solid, fun rules. Had a test game of IABSM recently and I just ordered a bunch of rulebooks for the guys. Seems to stick. But that's the case with all the Lardy stuff with us.). Yeah, I got the FoF expansion as well. Not sure when it comes in handy, but I'm sure it will at some point. Worst case it's a good source for period info because FoF may be a harsh and slightly confusing mistress, but she gets things right and is well researched.

Actually, Vietnam skirmish gaming also popped up on our radar again right before christmas as some very cool person started converting Chain of Command to Vietnam things in his blog. To celebrate this I bought a whole lot of Battlefront 15mm ANZAC things (out of convenience really) and a corresponding Osprey book. Haven't done anything with any of the models yet, only read a bunch of things. Some day I'll get to it.

Heyhey, just a little thing in between - Tanks! (the X-Wing based game by Battlefront/Galeforce9) has really taken off with a bunch of people 'round here and I was asked to paint a collection of vehicles for it:

All Battlefront plastic kits, I magnetized the turrets. Commander figures are from Plastic Soldier Company Panzer IV sprues I still had lying around. Took some minimal converting, but it went well. Hope you like them!

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 LastLast