Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Battle Brush Studios' little histories

Re: Battle Brush Studios' little histories

@mrtn: Thanks! Nah, the roof is glued on because it's rather flimsy by itself and I would have had to add some reinforcing bits to keep it removable and somewhat sturdy at the same time.

@Corvussanctus: Oh yes, I know what it's like. This one I've just had for a week or so but for instance that GW modular hill has been lying around primed for a few years. Once you get to do it it goes really quickly anyway. Especially that barn.The thing that took the most time was probably cutting out the base and waiting for paint to dry.

@kublai: Oh yes, it's really, really handy. The horrible thing is that I need so much terrain in theory. This barn is HIGHLY usable for a ton of periods and theatres so it's quite a godsent but guess what - for 28mm 18th to mid-20th century (non-urban) stuff, this is probably the only piece of terrain I have. (hills/forests aside).

@basher: There will be a size comparison picture along with more pictures of the finished barn in the full review. Should be up in a few days.

I'll go open a new painting log for my American Civil War stuff now. Hope to see you there!

Hey, just a little announcement: December is World War Two Month on Battle Brush Studios!

Meaning model and rules sets Reviews and lots of pretty pictures of WW2 models AND -20% off any WW2 projects commissioned during this month!

Yesterday I posted an introductionary thing on the site: http://battlebrushstudios.blogspot.c...tle-brush.html

And today the first review!

German Pioniers

Review: http://battlebrushstudios.blogspot.c...-pioniers.html

Hope that you like the review, C&C welcome as always and maybe even review requests if I can get my hands on the models in time! So tell your friends and family drop by the site, I have lots of stuff lined up. Oh, and if you couldn't give a hoot about that kind of thing it's okay. Regular commission work and updates will go on as usual, there's just the WW2 stuff on top.

Another fantastic review sigur I guess this is going to be a cool month !

I hope so. Finished two more reviews today that will show up within the next week and ordered a special little model kit which I hope to receive before christmas

Nice German Pioniers, great work .

Ps: last payment sending and your warseer mail is full

Cheers
    My Imperium Blog : Faith of the Imperium

WARHAMMER-40k-CAMPAIGNS.COM - Follow this unique website project of 40k campaigns since the beginning on our Facebook!

Chapter Master

Nice review! Very handy.

As always fantastic painting!

Thanks, guys!

A few more reviews for your enjoyment:

WW2 Month still going on. Here's a closer look at Warlord Games' Commandos! plastics:

http://battlebrushstudios.blogspot.c...commandos.html

The next review deals with a set of rules:

http://battlebrushstudios.blogspot.c...ying-lead.html

Then there's a review for a very, very handy supplement for any WW2 (land) wargaming:

http://battlebrushstudios.blogspot.c...n-forward.html

.....and on we go with miniatures reviews with Zvezda's 15mm Matilda II kit.

Review Link!

Hope that you enjoy the review and the pictures. If you've got any feedback, comments, questions and so on I'd appreciate it as always.

thanks for those sigur. Both were interesting reads.

I hate soft plastic. Why are those "classic" 1/72 manufacturers using soft plastic is beyond me. Do you have a sophisticated answer for that question ?

thanks for those sigur. Both were interesting reads.

I hate soft plastic. Why are those "classic" 1/72 manufacturers using soft plastic is beyond me. Do you have a sophisticated answer for that question ?

Thanks very much, Kublai!

Not really a sophisticated answer I'm afraid, just speculations based on my own Halbwissen (this is an internet forum after all. ). The models are fiddly and toy soldiers are more or less made for kids to play with, at least they were, so this soft stuff was established as the standard I guess? Some manufacturers are doing hard plastic stuff these days. I think actually it's Zvezda who do a few. And Plastic Soldier Company of course. I think that plastics also are kind of hard to to make at smaller scales, or were at least. When it comes to the traditional scale model manufacturers we're dealing with kits that reach back to the 70s in some cases.

I used to collect 1/72nds - still have 100's of them. A lot of the modern manufacturers (Zvezda has been mentioned) along with PSC, Caesar and Italeri are using a very different plastic to the old polyplastic that the Airfix and Esci figures of the 1970's were made from. The newer plastics are similar to those used in higher scales and take superglue, paint, primer etc. without much issue. The only problems I noticed was that the weapons are very thin and thus prone to flaking when bent accidentally.

Yeah, well PSC always were very much a "toys for wargamers" company to begin with. Didn't know about Italieri and Caesar using hard plastic now as well. Very good to know.

Heyhey, after spending the christmas time working on this 40k commission project I took a day off now to rebase and neaten up most of my 15mm WW2 figures. They used to be mounted on multi-bases because I thought it would work either way for the skirmish gaming I do (Force on Force WW2, Chain of Command, all platoon-level stuff, maybe in a weak hour give Bolt Action a try) but having them single based really is just so much more convenient and saves a lot of bookkeeping:

Sorry for the rather sucky picture quality. Here's my platoon along with a few of the vehicles I painted up for them. It's funny, as soon as a model is set on its own base i immediately have to give it some more attention in terms of painting and such so I redid the skin, did some blacklining, detailling and so on on the fellas. Still no masterpieces but I like them. Tomorrow I'll see that I can get the officers some names and maybe backgrounds and take some close-ups. Despite the fact that you can barely see anything at this point, I hope that you like the picture.

Can you show us some close ups ? That would be very cool

@mrtn: Thanks very much. Yup, Brits indeed.

@kublai: Just finished doing them. At least somewhat close-uppish.

Here again on the little presentation board along with some vehicles and then on their own. Lieutenant, Platoon Sergeant and platoon command including 2" mortar and Boys anti-tank rifle team, three rifle sections of ten each including a Bren gun team each, led by a Corporal and a Lance-Corporal each. Then there are six surplus dudes I can use as artillery observers, disembarked vehicle crews, additional troops, or what ever else the scenario reqires. They of course depict British troops in mid-1941. Basically a rifle platoon but i can turn them into a motor platoon easily (remove two guys from each rifle section mostly). Well, and that's that. Hope you like them.

Thanks sigur ! They look fantastic. Are those Battlefront miniatures ?

Yup, all square-jawed, box-bodied, tree trunk legged Battlefront minis. Nice figures and very affordable . I'm just putting in a few more hours and varnish them. You never know. Nice effect about those single bases is that the 1 euro cent pieces I used (because they bloody things have no other uses really) are magnetic so I'll see that I can get myself some magnetic sheets for the box I'm keeping them in.

edit: Ha, they're varnished now as well!

Quote Originally Posted by sigur View Post
    Yeah, well PSC always were very much a "toys for wargamers" company to begin with. Didn't know about Italieri and Caesar using hard plastic now as well. Very good to know.
    I wouldn't call them hard - hard plastics, because they're still softer than say GW's. But they are a lot harder than the old Airfix plastics. And they'll take primer and paint without flaking and will glue with super glue which puts them much higher on the usability scale than the old figures.

Ah okay, so the weapons and such won't snap easily I suppose? Not bad, I may have to look into that.

In other news, more WW2 stuff, less itty bitty sized but 28mm:

Those are WIP of course. Hope that you like them.

brilliant as per normal, really enjoy your painting blogs

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast