Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16

Thread: Codsticker's Historicals: Fun With Plastic!(and now metal)

Re: Codsticker's Historicals: Fun With Plastic!(and now metal)

I played a game with a friend (my first English civil war game using "under the lilly white banner"

Trying to pull more people into historicals, i've luckily found a group nearby.

So whats next in the pipe? I'm looking forward to a review of rules!

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
    I have too many project armies to list...
    Check out my Painting Blog! Comments/Criticism welcome! Historicals, 40k, Fantasy and more! - 2016 Model Count: 68 Bought/10 Painted
    Tabletop Showcase A forum dedicated to wargaming project logs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
    In other words as a rock player I find that changes to scissors are fair, balanced and reasonable but that paper has been made too strong in this edition and should be nerfed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisanis View Post
    I played a game with a friend (my first English civil war game using "under the lilly white banner"

Trying to pull more people into historicals, i've luckily found a group nearby.

So whats next in the pipe? I'm looking forward to a review of rules!

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
    I thought there was a (fairly) healthy historical scene in that part of Ontario?

As far as more painting goes, I still have half a battalia box to paint so I have more infantry on the desk right now. There are also 6 Perry samurai primed and ready (for Ronin) and I have a few more minis coming in the mail for my Norman warband, just to give me an option at 24 points (Lion Rampant).
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Well... it's been a while but a fair amount has happened. Although hobby time has been at a a premium these days I have got some some stuff done and have played a couple of ECW games, re-fighting the Battle of Montgomery using the Warr Without and Enemie rules as well as Pike and Shotte. I forgot my tripod but you can read my opponent's accounts here and here and see Jeff's pictures here of the Pike and Shotte version. You can see that murdoch has a few issues with the Pike and Shotte rules and, to be honest, I think he was disinclined to like them from the get go- not sure why...

I also assembled and primed a bunch more ECW: cavalry, firelocks and infantry:

... and promptly got painting. Here is a WIP shot of the pike:

I also ordered and started on some Perry's crusaders to add to my Lion Rampant Norman army. These will be Foot Men at Arms:

Sadly, I don't expect to get much gaming in for the foreseeable future as Jeff, who has been hosting these games, has been hospitalised. He has been fighting cancer for these last few years, and his health took a serious turn for the worse after our last game; he is not expected to see the new year and will probably remain in the hospital until the end.

Well... so much has happened since my last post...

The big (sad) news is that Jeff passed away in October. It was not long that we were friends but we really hit it off; both on the same page when it came to playing games. He has been, and will continue to be, missed...

As this plog was my only record of my historical endeavours, I started a blog of the same name. Most of what I have done (which isn't much for a couple of different reasons- Real Life can be so busy!) since the Crash can be seen there. I also started making some buildings for Mordheim which has turned out to be more time consuming than I thought. Both these blogs have material to be added except... my camera is borked . and if 20 years of marriage has taught me anything it is: don't by yourself any new toys before Christmas.

So a few pics of what I accomplished since the last update...

Norman Foot Men At Arms:

Norman Lion Rampant retinue with the Foot Men at Arms:

Drover with mule train for my ECW army:

Another mounted member for an ECW command stand:

And finished off the pike block of the "red" regiment:

I also played a solo game of To The Strongest!:

...and fiddled around with my ECW regiments in anticipation of an ECW version of To The Strongest:

More pictures of this stuff on my Blog (linky above).
    Last edited by Codsticker; 19-12-2016 at 15:23.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

And I am really liking your ECW forces. Makes me want to make a force of my own.

Very nice Lion Rampant army, gotta love the Dark Ages. Normans always are fun to see

Thanks for sharing

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Okay, that ECW stuff is 28mm and tries to depict battle things, but does look pretty cool. Where did you get the idea for the hexagonal commander base?

Quote Originally Posted by sigur View Post
    Where did you get the idea for the hexagonal commander base?
    I was going to use round bases but I wanted a base that would sit flush against regular movement trays so I chose hexagonal.

I haven't worked too much on my Historical stuff as I have been concentrating the last few months on my Kodsticklerburg terrain (and just recently, painting some Skaven). I did manage to finish off Prince Rupert and add him the finished command stand and then made another command stand for the previous general:

Good to see you're still powering along. I love it that you still got that avatar, too
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigBadWolf View Post
    In the toilets?!

You dirty bugger!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Codsticker View Post
    I thought there was a (fairly) healthy historical scene in that part of Ontario?

As far as more painting goes, I still have half a battalia box to paint so I have more infantry on the desk right now. There are also 6 Perry samurai primed and ready (for Ronin) and I have a few more minis coming in the mail for my Norman warband, just to give me an option at 24 points (Lion Rampant).
    Ill finally reply to this (thanks outage)

Ontario has a decent historical scene, but it can be hard to break into. Im still trying to find people who have similar interests and arent rigid when it comes to details ("those are early war fallschirmhaeger they shouldnt have that" or "thats the wrong colour scheme for the period" etc... Etc..)

I've found some people, but im still reaching out.

Your stuff looks great as always.
    How do you feel about Lion rampant vs. Saga or dux bellorum? Im thinking about delving into the period.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    I have too many project armies to list...
    Check out my Painting Blog! Comments/Criticism welcome! Historicals, 40k, Fantasy and more! - 2016 Model Count: 68 Bought/10 Painted
    Tabletop Showcase A forum dedicated to wargaming project logs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
    In other words as a rock player I find that changes to scissors are fair, balanced and reasonable but that paper has been made too strong in this edition and should be nerfed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisanis View Post
    Your stuff looks great as always.
    How do you feel about Lion rampant vs. Saga or dux bellorum? Im thinking about delving into the period.
    Well, it's been a long time since I played Dux Bellorum and Saga. These two I never really felt I quite got to grips with as I didn't play several games in a short period which really gives you a good feel for the rules. Of the three sets I would say Dux Bellorum is the one that feels most like and plays like a more "traditional" wargame; models are based in groups; you are rolling relatively few dice for combat; the system makes use of leadership points to affect outcomes. Saga's use of the battleboards is an interesting dimension in a wargame; the names of the abilities and the abilities themselves gives you the sense that you are replaying a battle as it was told in The Great Hall afterwards. Of the 3 this set might take the longest to master as learning the various synergies of the battle board abilities (and some are more useful than others) requires experience. Additionally, if you want to play competitively then you would want to be familiar with the other battle boards (and now there are quite a few).

If you were to first delve into early medieval/dark ages period then I would start with Lion Rampant as it is inexpensive and quick to pick up and play. If you have fantasy armies you could grab Dragon Rampant and have your Vikings/Crusaders/Seljuk Turks fight an Ork horde without too much fuss.

I enjoy all three and would be happy at any time to play any one of them.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16