Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Codsticker's Historicals: Fun With Plastic!(and now metal)

Re: Codsticker's Historicals: Fun With Plastic!

It is just 40mm round doweling; the models are glued on with white glue for painting. I am mixing up the basing because I cannot decide which way to go ; I have them based as singles, doubles and triplets. So I glue them to the dowel for painting then pop them off to glue them to their bases before sealing and basing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

I had a unit of musketeers half done a while ago. I finished them off and here is Henry Tillier's regiment now complete:

The regiment was originally formed in Ireland from troops sent there under Tillier to fight the Irish Confederacy as well as local Irish troops.

The regiment was moved to England in February 1644 and garrisoned at Shrewsbury.. The regiment was involved in the relief of Newark as well as the Lancashire campaign. Tillier was captured at the battle of Marston Moor, his troops fighting bravely before quitting the field.

Those that made their way back to Wales reformed under Edmund Hammond however Marston Moor marked the beginning of their decline. As their numbers dwindled they were combined with other small regiments to become know as "the Shrewsbury Foote"; a mere 500 strong, they met their end at Naseby, the final nail driven by Sir Thomas Fairfax's cavalry.

Thank you. Not a very flattering picture but the best I could do without puting in a lot more effort.

Chapter Master

THOSE are fine looking troops. My group of old farts and I are discussing a Spring campaign. NOT a refight of historic battles. I don't think the guys realize I do use maps of various battles.
    I am therefore I think OR I think therefore I am?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Harborc View Post
    THOSE are fine looking troops. My group of old farts and I are discussing a Spring campaign. NOT a refight of historic battles. I don't think the guys realize I do use maps of various battles.
    I am rather envious CH; I think a ECW (or 30YW) campagin would be lots of fun.

I have finished off the commnad for Rupert's Bluecoates; I just have to wait for a rise in temperature before I can seal and base the unit.

Chapter Master

I am thinking......about a couple of SMALL battles, followed by a few bigger one. THEN, a big one. There will be reinforcements (or not) depending on D6 rolls.

There WILL be a defendable positions with at least 8 ships deck cannons ALLLL in a row. CHARGE that positions lads.
    I am therefore I think OR I think therefore I am?

I would have to drum up some opposition before I could start a campaign. I may have to build another army. ..

That officer especially looks just amazing. Great job there, Codsticker.

Campaigns are always great stuff. I'm currently one game into a Gorkamorka campaign and two games into a Dux Britanniarum one. Let's see when those continue. This weekend I re-read the Father Tilly rules (very interesting stuff, I think I may have to give them a try. They model a lot Pike&Shotte doesn't.) and there's a very interesting campaign supplement out for that set of rules for playing connected scenarios and such, grander strategy things and events going on and so on. Should be a breeze to convert them for any other 17th century battle gaming needs

Quote Originally Posted by sigur View Post
    That officer especially looks just amazing. Great job there, Codsticker.
    The Officer is a very nice model- excellent detail (no mould lines running down the centre of his face)- it's not hard to do a nice job on him

They model a lot Pike&Shotte doesn't.
    I am not sure what you mean by that; is it that there are rules to cover aspects and/or situations that are not present in the Pike and Shotte rules?

Quote Originally Posted by Codsticker View Post
    I am not sure what you mean by that; is it that there are rules to cover aspects and/or situations that are not present in the Pike and Shotte rules?
    Yup, exactly that. They make much more of a fuss about formations of different sizes being able to move at different paces, are easier and harder to disorder and so on. I guess it plays a bit slower due to that but on the other hand they don't have the Warmaster-like command and control system. Instead they do a rather fun system in which each player has to spend a number of "activation points" (not sure if they're called that in the rules) for making units or groups of units do certain things. The beginning of each turn each player writes down the number of activations he needs, then reveal the numbers to each other, the player who thinks he needs less gets to go first. There are a bunch of other fun mechanisms in there as well. Not sure I'll ever get to give the game a try but maybe some day. In the end it probably does about the same as P&S does, just takes a different rout to get there.

The current version of the rules sadly is written for use with single-based 28mm figures and casualty removal but I'm sure it's not hard to convert to using the warmaster-y kind of basing I did.

Quote Originally Posted by sigur View Post
    Yup, exactly that. They make much more of a fuss about formations of different sizes being able to move at different paces, are easier and harder to disorder and so on. I guess it plays a bit slower due to that but on the other hand they don't have the Warmaster-like command and control system. Instead they do a rather fun system in which each player has to spend a number of "activation points" (not sure if they're called that in the rules) for making units or groups of units do certain things. The beginning of each turn each player writes down the number of activations he needs, then reveal the numbers to each other, the player who thinks he needs less gets to go first. There are a bunch of other fun mechanisms in there as well. Not sure I'll ever get to give the game a try but maybe some day. In the end it probably does about the same as P&S does, just takes a different rout to get there.
    Sounds interesting. I imagine that each player only has so many activations to spend and making a unit do complex formations would require more activations; is that correct?

The current version of the rules sadly is written for use with single-based 28mm figures and casualty removal but I'm sure it's not hard to convert to using the warmaster-y kind of basing I did.
    There are many means of getting around casualty removal if you don't like it; I am not sure why some get stuck on it. Even in a system where a unit takes wounds but there is no casualty removal- such as Hail Caesar or Pike and Shot- you can remove single figures if that is how you choose to track wounds.

I finally finished painting up those two Irish warriors. In Saga terms the one with the shield will be a bonnacht (Warrior) and the other will be a kern (Levy).

I have also started smashing together a Warlord using a body from the Warlord Games Auxiliary sprue.

Looks promising. Keep it up.

The warrior and the levy look spiffy Codsticker. And I look forawrd to seeing the completed Warlord. Can I ask what you're using to sculpt your cloaks?

The only bit of sculpting is the front of the Warlord's cloak. The main part is a cast cloak from Victoria Lamb's company I think. I used "grey stuff";I don't recall the manufacturer. It's different than green stuff; you don't wet it when working it. In fact, it degrades it when you do.

He's a real mishmash. The torso is Perry plastic Madhist, the legs Gripping Beast Dark Ages Warrior, the head Westwind Irish , the javelin is from Warlord and I think the shield is from WGF Saxons.

I got a few more musketeers painted. Progress is slow this month due to work and family stuffs.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast